darkinc

quality posts: 32 Private Messages darkinc

Not a fan of this one..

mijalita

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mijalita

Looks like a bib

rhycochet

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rhycochet

i know this is a costume simulation, but still...

i'll try not to comment on how unattractive i think the design is.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

Wow, that's unexpected! Thanks, ADQ. I would recommend ordering a size up if you really want the full effect. That way you can pull the neck over your head like Cornholio to simulate a nesting doll.

faultylogic83

quality posts: 2 Private Messages faultylogic83

If only I could eat a midget wearing the same shirt

meandsecoya

quality posts: 18 Private Messages meandsecoya

Wow. Definitely not what I expected to see. Congrats to the artist, but I'll have to pass. Definitely looks like a bib and one would have to explain that it's supposed to be a nesting doll thing for anyone to get it.

PurplePawprints elsewhere

dsaiz11

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dsaiz11

Hmmmm interesting pick! First time seeing such a low voting (+70) design place in a derby...

jstiles85

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jstiles85

So I'm confused, did this not go by votes? Or is something messed up on the votes page of the Derby, because this one wasn't even close to the top according to what I saw. I totally would have bought the Doctor or Vader designs.

rmstorey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmstorey
jstiles85 wrote:So I'm confused, did this not go by votes? Or is something messed up on the votes page of the Derby, because this one wasn't even close to the top according to what I saw. I totally would have bought the Doctor or Vader designs.

First place is chosen by votes, second place by Woot editors, and third place by a rotating guest editor. The third place choice often comes from outside the Fog, but this is the first time I've seen one placed this low.

rileyper

quality posts: 68 Private Messages rileyper

This is tacky beyond belief. This makes me want to wear a woot Christmas sweater shirt.

mkb30

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mkb30

I can understand other people's confusion and lack of excitement for this shirt but I love the idea.
Just picture an entire family standing from tallest to shortest all wearing this shirt! It'd be a super easy and fun family costume idea. Although I am one of those girls who has an oddly strong attraction to nesting dolls.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712

Congrats orabbit!

It's a nice, bright, clever design.

And I'm feeling a bit sentimental since I vaguely remember my grandma having nesting dolls.

gogotw

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gogotw

Sneaky Woot, making people have to buy a bunch for the full effect. This would seriously make an awesome family costume.

rumpatas

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rumpatas

This seems like a new low. It really seems to make the voting superfluous outside of picking the Friday shirt. I'm really starting to think the voters made better choices overall.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

A picture's worth a thousand words. This was the intended effect.
=

I've got to say, I'm just as surprised as everyone else that this got picked. It was just a silly idea, but I'm glad at least some of you like it!

Caddywompus

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Caddywompus

I love the pick. Congrats orabbit.

Sati

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Sati

Somebody please tell me how many of these end up selling. I'm in the mood for mind-boggling.

aerc712

rumpatas wrote:This seems like a new low. It really seems to make the voting superfluous outside of picking the Friday shirt. I'm really starting to think the voters made better choices overall.

The different way of selecting which derby designs print was a response to the "No, only certain designs print" remarks. The past few weeks, there has been a bit of variety in regards to what printed.

That said, someone will always be unhappy about the outcome of the derby. Lots of someones will. Everyone has their own opinion and design preferences. What one person loves, another might hate, that's how it is. Part of me will always react like a 5 year old girl when I see a cute animal, so I like the cute animal designs. I also love some of the works of art that are created for the derbies and dailies. That said, I'll never buy something related to Star Wars or Dr. Who, I don't care how amazing the design is. The nice thing about shirt.woot - if you don't like a shirt there's others available in the reckoning (and side sale) or, wait a few hours, and then there will be a new one.

fossilgirl1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossilgirl1

I was looking forward to buying a shirt I could use for halloween but I wouldn't buy any of the winners. Very disappointed.

aerc712

orabbit wrote:
I've got to say, I'm just as surprised as everyone else that this got picked. It was just a silly idea, but I'm glad at least some of you like it!

You always try and come up with something special for the derbies, you help make them interesting. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but yikes, sorry there are so many negative responses to your design printing.

gertiestn

quality posts: 57 Private Messages gertiestn

Gotta say I'm amazed & pleased to see this one. I love the idea, & it doesn't look even one bit like any other Woot shirt in my humongous collection. Since I don't have a ready-made family to wear these ala nesting doll, I'm tempted to order a bunch and just go out and make some friends of appropriate heights.

shotmakers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shotmakers
mijalita wrote:Looks like a bib

*sigh* agreed.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I think this is a very clever and innovative take on the "shirt as a costume" concept.

Congrats Orabbit.

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

vandint

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vandint
rmstorey wrote:First place is chosen by votes, second place by Woot editors, and third place by a rotating guest editor. The third place choice often comes from outside the Fog, but this is the first time I've seen one placed this low.

When did they switch to this editor choice business? I remember it being top 3, and that's still what the FAQ says... I still wouldn't have been able to buy the punk shirt I was excited for (it placed 4th) - but this shirt didn't even place in the top 40!

gogotw

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gogotw
vandint wrote:When did they switch to this editor choice business? I remember it being top 3, and that's still what the FAQ says... I still wouldn't have been able to buy the punk shirt I was excited for (it placed 4th) - but this shirt didn't even place in the top 40!

They definitely need to change the FAQ now. It hasn't been very long. Only about a month or so.

wootpapa

quality posts: 18 Private Messages wootpapa

AND... this is why T-shirts should be picked based on votes. You have to +really+ like nesting dolls to see this as anything other than a peculiar feminine baby bib.

kalimada

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalimada

Really not a fan.

cedaroo

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cedaroo

Congratulations orabbit. It's a clever idea for a costume shirt.

gogotw wrote:They definitely need to change the FAQ now. It hasn't been very long. Only about a month or so.

The Derby FAQ is a lie? First the cake, and now this?

Imagine how foolish I feel. I actually thought we were a democracy a full three days a week. But only one by vote? This is not my beautiful derby! This is not my beautiful woot!

Seriously, it greatly diminishes my interest in the Derby if we're now only choosing one design each week by vote. Bah! Is choosing 3/7 shirts a week by vote really too much to ask? I hope not. Please?

globalbee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages globalbee

I totally think this design was AWESOME - and the win much deserved I often don't agree with the voter's picks... so to see that this made it really made my day!

Don't listen to the haters... they're just butthurt.

orabbit wrote:A picture's worth a thousand words. This was the intended effect.
=

crystalinfire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crystalinfire
rmstorey wrote:First place is chosen by votes, second place by Woot editors, and third place by a rotating guest editor. The third place choice often comes from outside the Fog, but this is the first time I've seen one placed this low.

Who's bright idea was changing the way they are picked? I've been waiting to see if shirts I voted for was in the top three. So I could buy a couple. Now I find out the only the #1 spot is voted on? Boo! Amazon BOO!. I've been pretty accepting with some of the changes you (amazon) wanted to make but this is ridiculous. I'm not criticizing the artist who did the #3 T-shirt. I'm just saying that I would have bought the t shirts titled creepy pregnant, instant punk or eleven over this one. You know the t shirts I actually voted for and wanted.

aramis525

quality posts: 8 Private Messages aramis525

First woot: 2 minutes.

I predict this sells only 400.

crystalinfire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crystalinfire

I'm Boycotting buying any shirt that isn't a voted winner starting now.

Change it back amazon!

If woot want to have extra's like guest editors and editors choice that's up to company but don't mess with the derby! Don't expect us to buy them when you replace the voted ones.

geney112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geney112

ummm hey woot...stick with the votes...there's a reason why this one didn't reach the top 9

i hope you print at least a few more of the top 9

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl
mijalita wrote:Looks like a bib

You weren't the only one...

xochiluvr

quality posts: 14 Private Messages xochiluvr

So, was matryoshka just too difficult for people to spell?

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl
orabbit wrote:A picture's worth a thousand words. This was the intended effect.
=

It's an interesting idea... I think it'd be more awesome as the winner of "sweatshirt as costume". I also think it requires a group purchase for full effect. I love nesting dolls as well, I think the intent would be more obvious with a hood.

lulzzles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lulzzles

I love the colors and the design! It's not my style of shirt, but I like it.

aerc712

The change to the new derby system took place weeks ago. Since then, the writeups for the second and third place shirts clearly said "editor's choice" or "guest editor's choice".

There were a lot of complaints about certain styles or artists winning all the time, so woot went with a new system. Votes aren't irrelevant. It was acknowledged that the woot editors' choice did take votes into consideration. I do believe at least one guest editor mentioned looking at votes as well. One issue people had was that "great" designs would not get a lot of votes or not as much as *insert often ranted about design element here*. ("Great" means something different to everyone since we all have different interests, senses of humor, etc) So, with the new system, every design has a chance to print. Yay variety!

The design you wanted to print didn't? That happens to lots of people every week. I wanted odysseyroc's penguin shirt because it would really cheer me up at the moment. But it didn't print. Oh well. That's how the derby goes sometimes. At least there's the second chance derby. The honorable mentions tend to be the top vote getters, so you may be able to purchase your favorite design at a later time.

And, finally, can folks stop raining on orabbit's parade? I'm not going to speak for him, but if I had a design that printed and then a lot of the remarks were a rejection of my work and how it should not have been printed, that would pretty much suck any joy out of winning (well, being selected by the guest editor). It's one thing to say, oh this pop culture design isn't for me since I'm not a fan of this show or movie. It's another to say ahhhh this is terrible how could this possibly print?!

That said, I'm going to stumble off my soapbox and attempt to beat insomnia.

sulcath

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sulcath

Here is the biggest problem.
It is dang near impossible to tell what the heck it is!

It doesn't look like anything.

If all nesting dolls had the same pattern on them, and people could recognize it, then it could work, but this really does look like a weird bib.

Just a really poor choice.
I was looking forward to the shirts as costumes as I have purchased 2 in the past.

Disappointing.