cedaroo

quality posts: 12 Private Messages cedaroo
aerc712 wrote:The change to the new derby system took place weeks ago.

Hmm. I, and it would seems others missed the announcement. And the FAQ hasn't been changed to reflect this break from years of woot tradition either. From the current Derby FAQ: "since we're going to sell the top 3 vote-getting shirts"

aerc712 wrote:The design you wanted to print didn't?

I didn't see anyone posting that they always expect their prefered designs to print. What I saw was myself and others expressing surprise and displeasure that now 2nd and 3rd most voted on designs aren't necessarily printed, as had been done for years, and that sales are being lost because of it. Whether other sales will make up for those loses is something I'm sure Woot is watching closely.

My post merely pointed out my surprise over the change, and that I/we strongly prefer the system by which 3 of the 7 designs each week were determined by vote. I really don't understand any comments about "other designs don't get printed", when having 3/7 (less than half) shirts determined by votes still leaves the other 4/7 (more than half) to editor's choice.

Determining only 1 out of 7 shirts by vote each week makes voting in the derby less interesting.

But I'm sure someone at Woot is looking at sales numbers, (and perhaps derby votes,) and will decide if this new direction is one that is profitable for them, or if the masses who buy the shirts can also choose the shirts available to buy... well... 3 days of 7 anyway.

blondegordon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blondegordon

Meh...

lyndalue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lyndalue

Are MEN actually buying this shirt? Srsly. I picture this to be something women buy to torture their husbands with. Sorry designers... I know you had good intentions, but man... I mean NO MAN....

phantom465

quality posts: 0 Private Messages phantom465

I'm going to describe this by borrowing from the military's phonetic alphabet: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

nezumi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nezumi
rmstorey wrote:First place is chosen by votes, second place by Woot editors, and third place by a rotating guest editor. The third place choice often comes from outside the Fog, but this is the first time I've seen one placed this low.

I honestly didn't know this... I have been waiting for a good shirt to get... Shirt Woot! has stopped having good submissions since December 2011, and I was totally super excited for the 3rd place voted shirt... like, it gave me a glint of hope that I would once again enjoy getting a Woot! shirt.
I have been keeping an eye on every derpy ever, and after a long wait, my dreams have been crushed, literally. I don't know what to say Woot!, you really have dropped to a new low, there aren't even long sleeve options available yet, and the temperature here is dropping into the 20's. I think I am going to stick to the local shoppes, where I can still get actually interesting shirts that fit the weather.

Shabutie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shabutie
rmstorey wrote:First place is chosen by votes, second place by Woot editors, and third place by a rotating guest editor. The third place choice often comes from outside the Fog, but this is the first time I've seen one placed this low.

first of all -sorry-english isn´t my native language and it may has become a little bit rusty.
i really loved woot for the derbies and the voting system. This is the most stupiest change of a good system i´ve ever heared of. I was exited for the "instant punk" shirt, that wouldn´t have been printed anyway, like many other shirts before. But that has been ok cuz there was always the second chance derby and the few editor´s choices afterwards. If you really want an editor´s choice and a guest editor´s choice each week you should pick the first three by votes one by editor and one by guest. Would make a 5/7 relation for the weekly derby.

kalinushka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kalinushka
dsaiz11 wrote:Hmmmm interesting pick! First time seeing such a low voting (+70) design place in a derby...

Seems like Woot is purposely swindling itself out of sales... Perhaps they will see the error of their ways and return it to what the people want.

Locutus359

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Locutus359

This message is not so much a criticism of todays shirt as an absolute contempt for the direction woot is going. I am completely amazed by woot's belief that their editors and a guest artist can pick what we want, better then we can. Every week I watch them choose, and the next week get reckoned away. If you want to do something woot leave the voting to the buyers for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Monaday, Tuesday, and Wednesday start back at the begining of shirtwoot reprinting the weekly top shirts over (many of them were really funny and interesting). We can give woot the opportunity on Thursday to print some shirt that nobody wants and nobody will buy.

minifig81

quality posts: 3 Private Messages minifig81

Yesterday made me think Shirt Woot was returning to what made it great, I wish I had money to get yesterdays shirts.

This makes me question things again.

minifig81

quality posts: 3 Private Messages minifig81
nezumi wrote:I honestly didn't know this... I have been waiting for a good shirt to get... Shirt Woot! has stopped having good submissions since December 2011

I thought yesterdays was pretty clever.. the USS HERRING (considering it was a real submarine), penguin in a human suit.

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey

WHOA! That's an AWESOME idea!!! I love this shirt, and thought it was a clever idea. But printing it on a hoodie would be brilliant! Make it so! (please)

wingedsurfgirl wrote:It's an interesting idea... I think it'd be more awesome as the winner of "sweatshirt as costume". I also think it requires a group purchase for full effect. I love nesting dolls as well, I think the intent would be more obvious with a hood.

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc

ok while I'm not a fan of this shirt I am happy to see someone outside the fog win. Just didn't expect it to be a shirt way way way way outside the fog.

deedlebee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deedlebee
cedaroo wrote:...My post merely pointed out my surprise over the change, and that I/we strongly prefer the system by which 3 of the 7 designs each week were determined by vote. I really don't understand any comments about "other designs don't get printed", when having 3/7 (less than half) shirts determined by votes still leaves the other 4/7 (more than half) to editor's choice.

Determining only 1 out of 7 shirts by vote each week makes voting in the derby less interesting....

I think this is an important point. The derby isn't just about a majority of pop culture lovers dominating the votes. The derby is about community involvement. Woot is a site that profits off of the work of artists who participate. Having 100+ submissions each week means an incredibly low chance that an individual artist's shirt will be picked. The voting allowed non-artists to be a part of that creative process as well. It was a true community of different kinds of people.

By dropping down the votes to only allow one true winner each week, you're devaluing the work of that community. You don't care about the work of the artists who end up ranking high, or the fans that supported them.

Everyone else here is right. If the derby gets 3 days out of the week, that still leaves you with 4 days to pick whatever shirt that no one voted for (because they would never wear it, they didn't understand it, they're interested in other things) to use as some kind of sales experiment.

tl;dr: Woot/Amazon, you are destroying the community and interest in this site.

vandint

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vandint

Given that there are 7 days in a week and only three are "derby winner days", it really seems like they're tossing the baby out with the bathwater. They can print the top three and then pick from the remaining submissions if they wish. If they like the "guest editor" idea, that can be Monday's shirt, or whatever.

Voting's a great indicator of how many people want a shirt. This is the second week in a row when a shirt I would have bought made it to the top and would have been printed a few weeks ago... except now they're printing shirts that didn't make the top 9 "here are your contenders" list.

Nothing against this particular design (I think it's clever, even if I wouldn't buy it - but then, I wouldn't buy more than about 1 in 20 Woot designs, which is still more than enough to have Woot shirts taking over my closet). It's just that choosing a shirt with only 70 votes when all the top 6 have over 400 seems a bit bizarre and disappointing to many who voted. If 6 of 7 shirts are editor chosen, this is no longer really crowd-sourced selection - the woot-shirt magic is gone.

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness

It amuses me that people only noticed the now 10 week old change in derby ruling now, when a shirt they dislike didn't print. Meaning, these past 10 weeks have had shirts that were "good" enough to pass through the radar.

The reason for the switch was not an evil corporation taking away the people's democracy (what are we, a sci-fi movie?) but an attempt to showcase the offerings of artists who would go unnoticed by the general public who only swoop in one day one and vote for all the bunnies, turtles, penguins and so forth. It's a chance for someone who is having artist block to submit a few days late without worrying that it's pointless. It brings us higher quality designs, I think, and until now the shirts have been well accepted by the community. (I'm not a part of the number stats crew but from recent memory it plays that the bottom shirt is still a daily)

Woot does a ton of things now in attempts to get great shirts to print that have missed their shot in derbies. Double take, Plus sales, if you're loud enough about wanting a shirt there's a huge chance it will make it into one of those sales. As for "the voice of the people" being ignored? The only reason we have this system in place is BECAUSE of how loud people were about lack of variety in the types of shirts a derby yielded. And since the switch this is the only time I see people against it, and only because a shirt they disliked printed. I think that's a little unfair, no?

Congrats to orabbit, when the week began I didn't know much about Russian nesting dolls, but then I met a guy who loves them. When I told him about this shirt he was ridiculously amused, and I know at least one guy will be super happy with this opportunity to buy a minority design he would have otherwise never been able to buy.

rugrats2001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rugrats2001
sunaness wrote:Congrats to orabbit, when the week began I didn't know much about Russian nesting dolls, but then I met a guy who loves them. When I told him about this shirt he was ridiculously amused, and I know at least one guy will be super happy with this opportunity to buy a minority design he would have otherwise never been able to buy.

In what world does that "one guy"'s super happiness trump selling a thousand more shirts? Its not about the perceived loss of democracy, its about a loss of sales due to the choice of a non-sellable design. This isn't a museum, its a retail store.

flattopfrank

quality posts: 2 Private Messages flattopfrank
Sati wrote:Somebody please tell me how many of these end up selling. I'm in the mood for mind-boggling.

I sent you a message for the stats...

mkdr

quality posts: 35 Private Messages mkdr

I absolutely adore this shirt! Congrats on the print orabbit! My family has Russian roots and a love of Russian culture - nesting dolls being one of them in particular. My 2 yr old neice is going to look adorable in this, as will the rest of the family

I also second the vote for hoodies in the future - that would rock.

forever fighting the urge to buy something just because it is cheap and cool...wait, it's cheap and cool, let me click that big yellow button!

crystalinfire

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crystalinfire

I'm very upset about the change in the Derby policy. I knew Amazon had changed it to 2 shirts instead of three but only one now? I'm boycotting buying any shirts that aren't voted winners.

Amazon/ woot could make hand over fist money printing the top ten so people could buy funny but adult costume shirts. I was ready to buy several designs but now I'm only getting to buy copies of the one ring shirt.
BOO!

crystalinfire

I wanted to make sure I said something to Orabbit. I have seen their work before and voted on it. I thought it was great. I might even have one or two of their shirts. I'm just complaining about the change in policy.

powerelite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages powerelite
xochiluvr wrote:So, was matryoshka just too difficult for people to spell?

I was looking through the comments to see if anyone would actually use the Russian word. You have prevented me from typing it in all caps with several exclamation points like a crazed person. I adore matryoshka sets!

MJR

bblhed

quality posts: 7 Private Messages bblhed

Does this come in maternity sizes, because that would be cool?

wootpapa

quality posts: 18 Private Messages wootpapa

Hopefully, when enough designs fail to sell well, the editors picking the shirts won't be picking shirts anymore.

I just don't understand who this shirt appeals to, except people who have an obsession with nesting dolls. My wife has 2 nesting dolls. When I showed her the shirt, she laughed and asked, "Who would wear a bib?" Even as a parent-of-young-children joke shirt, it fails because other bib shirts for adults already exist and they're actually funny.

crystalinfire

rugrats2001 wrote:In what world does that "one guy"'s super happiness trump selling a thousand more shirts? Its not about the perceived loss of democracy, its about a loss of sales due to the choice of a non-sellable design. This isn't a museum, its a retail store.

I think it's more about customer satisfaction than sales. They are linked but most people aren't going to buy a shirt that they don't like. Customer satisfaction goes down and sales will follow it.

Locutus359

sunaness wrote:It amuses me that people only noticed the now 10 week old change in derby ruling now, when a shirt they dislike didn't print. Meaning, these past 10 weeks have had shirts that were "good" enough to pass through the radar.

The thing is most of them werent good enough to slide through. Check how many of the Editor Picks and Guest Artist picks were reckoned right away. The funniest thing is that sometimes the Editor/Guest Artist picks end up with the distinction of weeks worst sellers. IMAGINE THAT WOOT, HAHAHAHAHA

dowserlady

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dowserlady

This is a very clever use of a t-shirt for a costume, by pulling it over your head. I am struck by how negative people are about a shirt they don't like. There are many I don't care for, but don't get so wound up that I have to spew all over them. I like the selction changes that help break up the pattern of shirts that always get top votes. As always, there is strength in diversity. Here, it helps expand the variety of people in the community. We may always be a minority, but we can learn to appreciate other opinions. I enjoy reading the commentary about all the shirts, most of which I would never buy. Peace out.

MaximusTCR

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MaximusTCR

The Woot community is complaining about a change that doesn't follow the modeling of every other cookie cut corporation that cares only about profit. This is a sad day. I am completely enthralled about the recent change to the derby rules. Woot has been becoming more main stream and the shirts with the top choices where slowly becoming more and more bland. Relying on a voting system encourages artists to only go with designs that are going to be crowd favorites. An artist with a great, off the wall idea for a design might be more reluctant to submit it because of the uncertainty of the voters, even though it might be a huge hit. These new rules at least give the artist some hope that even though it might not get selected by vote, it still has the chance to appeal to one individual and pay off. It allows artists to go nuts with their designs. Sometimes breakthrough, works of art require completely different methods of thought. Rules like the ones that were recently implemented give artists that freedom.

Halloween is one of my favorite times to follow derbies and I was convinced from the designs residing in the fog of war that I would not be purchasing any shirts from this derby. I saw this selection and was on the edge, but now I'm definitely taking the plunge after witnessing all the negativity. I love subtlety. I don't consider myself a hipster, in fact most people would probably describe me as a jock, but there is something quite enjoyable about noticing other people trying to figure out the idea being conveyed from your fashion. I also like the color choices selected by the artist. I, Woot am all for this recent change with the derby rules. Please don't listen to the naysayers only to increase profit. Remain unique.

yankeebird

quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
Locutus359 wrote:The thing is most of them werent good enough to slide through. Check how many of the Editor Picks and Guest Artist picks were reckoned right away. The funniest thing is that sometimes the Editor/Guest Artist picks end up with the distinction of weeks worst sellers. IMAGINE THAT WOOT, HAHAHAHAHA

And sometimes a daily is the worst seller, and sometimes the derby winners were the worst sellers. Your point=irrelevant.

azdarkknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages azdarkknight

Theres a reason this got only about 70 votes - because it is a bad shirt.

While I havent agreed with the overall voters choices often, the fact is that the FAQ still state the top three votes are printed.

Now having a "guest editor" picking a 4th I could understand, even going outside the top 9 on occasion when its a close vote, but seriously woot, 70 votes??

Did your printers want a day off or something? This is a major mistake and I think you selling so few might help you figure out that your decision making needs some refinement.

rmstorey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmstorey
vandint wrote:When did they switch to this editor choice business? I remember it being top 3, and that's still what the FAQ says... I still wouldn't have been able to buy the punk shirt I was excited for (it placed 4th) - but this shirt didn't even place in the top 40!

It was changed in fairly recent history, but it has been at least a month since it was changed. It was sort of a "Let's try this and see how it goes" thing. Nonetheless, an update -- even if temporary -- to the FAQ would be a good idea. Some folks might not have been around the week they announced the change.

Locutus359

yankeebird wrote:And sometimes a daily is the worst seller, and sometimes the derby winners were the worst sellers. Your point=irrelevant.

Maybe u need to check your facts. Derby winners have not ended up as the weeks worst seller in a very very long time. So my point is simpl; If people choose the shirts in a derby that they want to buy, woot would sell more shirts and have happier customers.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

I wouldn't personally wear a nesting doll shirt, but I think it's a funny idea and appreciate it for it's oddness and uniqueness. Woot sells an ugly Christmas sweater shirt every year (and people bitterly complain about that too) and this isn't much different.

The new derby printing rules are great because the voting masses are boring and predictable. Shirt.woot isn't teefury, they WANT (sometimes) to print a variety of unique artistic tee shirt designs. That's why the derby has rules you know. Sure Woot could probably make 10 times as much money if they just removed all the rules and let the voters print 3 different Star Wars mashup shirts every week, but where's the magic in that huh?

The derby was getting stagnant and artists and community members were wandering off before these weekly EC picks. It's still not perfect, and we still have plenty of complain about, but the alternative is worse.

These new rules have been in place for like 2 months now and some of you folks are just now noticing when the guest editor picks something strange huh?

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Worshiping the all mighty dollar and supreme will of the voting masses will only lead to lack of creativity, domination of familiar artists, and week after week after week of pop culture pandering. The internet is filled to the brim with tee shirt websites that do this already. Is it really so offensive an idea that shirt.woot be different from that?

Maybe getting a new idea or cool unexpected tee shirt design in front of some of your faces once in a while will do you some good.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

growgreen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages growgreen

Who in the wide world of sports is agingdragqueen and why were they this week's guest editor? It's almost like they don't want shirt woot to make any money on this one. Or to force them to go back to the old derby style... Sheesh!

BTW, no offense orabbit. You've many better designs that haven't won. Would think it's kinda bittersweet to have such a silly design win.

lonelypond

quality posts: 423 Private Messages lonelypond

Not what I expected to see but fun. Congrats orabbit. And I've been liking the guest editor + editor picks, even though a couple of them were not what I expected from the artists.

lisabethjo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lisabethjo

Where have you all been? The derby rules were changed months ago.

Because of the "celebrity likeness" in the thumbnail, I didn't even look at the shirt during the voting. I assumed it would be rejected. Had I looked, I would have voted for it. I am now voting for it with my $$.

In for 3!

rugrats2001

quality posts: 14 Private Messages rugrats2001

After all of the "I'm not a hipster" hipsters and the "look how counterculture I am" posers and the "I hate capitalism but I still check shirt.woot everyday looking to please that one guy in Milwaukee that will understand the reference" wannabees, I bet this sells less than 300 total, most of which will be worn once & then retired to the back of the closet.

That said, nothing negative towards the artist, the art's not bad, just not something destined for greatness.

flattopfrank

quality posts: 2 Private Messages flattopfrank
bluetuba wrote:Worshiping the all mighty dollar and supreme will of the voting masses will only lead to lack of creativity, domination of familiar artists, and week after week after week of pop culture pandering. The internet is filled to the brim with tee shirt websites that do this already. Is it really so offensive an idea that shirt.woot be different from that?

Maybe getting a new idea or cool unexpected tee shirt design in front of some of your faces once in a while will do you some good.

I wish there was a like button. I agree with your comment and I would like to give my congrats to Orabbit. Here's my idea to, maybe, correct the new issue with the Guest Editor selection. Keep the Guest Editor every week but, allow them to select 3 or 5 shirt designs. Once the guest editor has selected the 3 or 5 designs that they like. Allow the Woot editors to select the best from that bunch. I'm sure there are some flaws in this idea but, it's a start.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
lisabethjo wrote:#1

Where have you all been? The derby rules were changed months ago.

Because of the "celebrity likeness" in the thumbnail, I didn't even look at the shirt during the voting. I assumed it would be rejected. Had I looked, I would have voted for it. I am now voting for it with my $$.

In for 3!

I was also surprised the thumbnail not matching didn't get a rejection, I personally voted for the first one he submitted, which was identical but didn't break that rule. Over all it got less votes than the bill Murray one.

So, to everyone pointing out the vote count- your numbers are off. And if you are looking at worst seller on the reckoning and thinks it matters over the life of a design you don't understand the reckoning. The binge and raven are just as likely to be there as any other shirt.

timelessblur

quality posts: 4 Private Messages timelessblur

I think we have a shirt that will set a new record low for number of sold. If you want a rare woot shirt this will be the one to get.