jcflman


quality posts: 17 Private Messages jcflman

Omggg nooooooooo the design I wanted didn't print! I'm boycotting Walmart in response to this treachery!

Who's coming with me? Who's coming with me? Who's coming with me besides... Flipper, here?

bargainbourne


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bargainbourne

Well, this shirt sucks. I wasn't a fan of the Star Wars or the Dr Who shirts, but the alien baby shirt is WAY better than this ridiculous floral bib.

While I can appreciate the out of the box thinking, like others have said, this would only actually make sense on a hoodie -- on a shirt, not so much.

Also, to all the geniuses twittering on about how this shirt represents "diversity" and freedom from pop culture allusions, etc., nobody has a problem with that. In fact, there have always been people (including me) who have been more than willing to buy a shirt devoid of references, just because it was downright gorgeous (eg. The Offering, Fire and Ice, In Bloom).

In other words, nobody has a problem with unconventional art styles/imagery -- where we draw the line is when the majority of the community decides the "diverse" entry stinks to high heaven (or is, at best, an entry that appeals to a VERY VERY niche audience), clearly indicates that through a lack of votes and yet gets overruled by some random, unknown guest editor with, ah, "unconventional" taste.

kypi


quality posts: 2 Private Messages kypi
orabbit wrote:A picture's worth a thousand words. This was the intended effect.
=

I've got to say, I'm just as surprised as everyone else that this got picked. It was just a silly idea, but I'm glad at least some of you like it!



I think this would have made a better hoodie than t-shirt.

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Buy the shirt now, and then later when woot offers this as a hoodie buy that and wear them both together.

MIND BLOWN!

rugrats2001


quality posts: 14 Private Messages rugrats2001
orabbit wrote:A picture's worth a thousand words. This was the intended effect.
=

I've got to say, I'm just as surprised as everyone else that this got picked. It was just a silly idea, but I'm glad at least some of you like it!



This might work if the shirts were offered in 10" longer lengths!

MaximusTCR


quality posts: 1 Private Messages MaximusTCR
rugrats2001 wrote:After all of the "I'm not a hipster" hipsters and the "look how counterculture I am" posers and the "I hate capitalism but I still check shirt.woot everyday looking to please that one guy in Milwaukee that will understand the reference" wannabees, I bet this sells less than 300 total, most of which will be worn once & then retired to the back of the closet.

That said, nothing negative towards the artist, the art's not bad, just not something destined for greatness.



You forgot the, "I put people into stereotypes because it gives me the façade of originality". Those guys are the "real" posers.

cshook


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cshook

with a few notable exceptions, the quality of design work and choice of
winning designs has left me leary of even taking advantage of random shirt purchases

agingdragqueen


quality posts: 117 Private Messages agingdragqueen

Staff

It's really painful to see all the hate spewed for this design.

Personally, I picked this shirt because it was something I've never seen done, it was both clever and very well designed (and totally could look great in hoodie form later). I have not bought a lot of shirts lately because I'm not a fan of the pop culture references that have been made and I've got enough cute animal shirts to last me a lifetime.

I hope you guys can see this as a pick to add something different and fun to our catalog (and very much not an Amazon decree, I have no idea why that's always the go-to explanation). You now have three more chances to see fogged shirts pop up later: in an HM derby, as a daily editor's choice, or in a HM plus sale. I hope you can either enjoy this one (like I do) or chillax and come back later when you see one you do like.


tjschaeffer


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Not for me, personally, but I can see the humor in it. Considering the originality of it, I can understand why it was picked.

People might not like the shirt, but what makes woot nice is the fact the tomorrow brings a new shirt.

Congrats, orabbit!

Shabutie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shabutie

There has been so many motives that i would have loved to get printed and didn´t had a chance, but these new rules are just not fair. I don´t think i´m mainstream and sometimes i can´t understand why so many ppl have voted for a shirt.I hate to see an awesome motive that doesn´t get printed cuz it has been too late or doesn´t hit the taste of the mainstream. It´s great if shirt.woot decides to print more shirts of a derby beside the winners.but to change the rules at the costs of the true winners is ridiculous. like i´ve said before,take three days for the winners and one or two days for editor´s/guest´s choice. you still got at least two days left for something else. Everyone would be happy. It´s not against todays motive. it´s not my taste but my girlfriend bought one. I don´t hate the motive i just don´t care about it but the difference between 70 votes and so much more for those in the fog has been much to much to overlook the new rules.

RazorClarity


quality posts: 2 Private Messages RazorClarity

I guess this would be amusing if you were pregnant . . .

Moueska


quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
growgreen wrote:Who in the wide world of sports is agingdragqueen and why were they this week's guest editor? It's almost like they don't want shirt woot to make any money on this one. Or to force them to go back to the old derby style... Sheesh!



Agingdragqueen is a longstanding member of the main woot and deals community, a woot forum mod, and all-around awesomeness.

Do not disrespect the queen.

/endrant

Starblind


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Starblind

Okay, who's been slipping crack into the Woot office water cooler? A couple days after the one about feeding razor blades to little kids we get this one, which is so awful it literally doesn't even look like anything.

Seriously, wear this out someday. I guarantee you'll hear "Why are you wearing a shirt with an Amish baby girl's bib?" long before you hear anything about a matryoshka.

Heck, even Skatetown, the previous absolutely bottom-of-the-barrel design at least looked like something.

growgreen


quality posts: 0 Private Messages growgreen


This post by WOOT itself, was completely ignored when designing this shirt. You would think a woot staff would at least honor the company's own post with consideration to a good design. There are tons of designs on this site that I would not wear. However, the ones that seem to have longevity are appealing to me. The all mighty dollar that some people seem to hate needs to be given a break. If you don't want to make money and don't like those who do, then don't visit sites like woot, where making money keeps the lights on.

There needs to be an even respect given to good design and it's revenue prospects. IMHO.

thewronggrape


quality posts: 48 Private Messages thewronggrape

Wow, a lot of hate here. Seems it's not only the design that has people upset, but also surprise at the "new" way winners are selected.

If you want to complain, here's the thread for that from July 26 filled with other complaints (and praise) for the change. There's over 200 comments. Feel free to post there about how you're never going to vote or buy from Shirt.Woot again.

Congrats on the print, orabbit!

Moueska


quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
growgreen wrote:This post by WOOT itself, was completely ignored when designing this shirt. You would think a woot staff would at least honor the company's own post with consideration to a good design. There are tons of designs on this site that I would not wear. However, the ones that seem to have longevity are appealing to me. The all mighty dollar that some people seem to hate needs to be given a break. If you don't want to make money and don't like those who do, then don't visit sites like woot, where making money keeps the lights on.

There needs to be an even respect given to good design and it's revenue prospects. IMHO.



I love how you completely miss the subtle irony woot often employs in its blog posts on "srs" topics.

Srs topic is srs. Srsly.

caramelarrow


quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow

I think (not sure) this is orabbit's first print. Congratulations!

I like your sense of humor in your submissions and comments. My favorite of yours from this derby was A Major Award. It makes me laugh every time I look at it and going to a party with a lampshade on one's head is classic! But this one is very original as well. Don't let all the negativity get you down. Keep creating!

And, fellow wooters, if this isn't your cup of tea, relax, another design will be along very soon........

07/11/14

Starblind


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Starblind
Moueska wrote:I love how you completely miss the subtle irony woot often employs in its blog posts on "srs" topics.

Srs topic is srs. Srsly.



Yeah, clearly woot was just kidding when they asked artists to design stuff anybody would actually want to wear. What they really wanted all along was something a 6-month-old might wear to a Lancaster barn raising. It took all these years but someone finally figured it out!

cdrewlow


quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow

Congrats on the 1st print, Mr. Rabbit!
Great pick agingdragqueen. This is the kind of quirky, unexpected shirt that makes woot fun.

Invisiblemoose


quality posts: 17 Private Messages Invisiblemoose
agingdragqueen wrote:It's really painful to see all the hate spewed for this design.

Personally, I picked this shirt because it was something I've never seen done, it was both clever and very well designed (and totally could look great in hoodie form later).


I think it's a great idea, but unfortunately it looks like a bib. Nobody would get it unless you explained it, and when you don't get it, it's pretty... bad looking...

Glad to see you sticking up for your pick though.

bargainbourne


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bargainbourne
agingdragqueen wrote:It's really painful to see all the hate spewed for this design.

(a) Personally, I picked this shirt because it ... (and totally could look great in hoodie form later).

(b) I hope you can either enjoy this one (like I do) or chillax and come back later when you see one you do like.



(a) So, if you agree with the many people who have said this would work better (if not exclusively) as a hoodie, why pick this to be printed on a shirt?? Why not save this design for some later, side sale of hoodies??

(b) And therein lies the issue -- even if, like me, people were okay with a guest editor picking shirts that were previously chosen exclusively by the community, it only works when the guest editor merely curates the community's opinion.

In other words, I personally feel a guest editor should make his choice from the top community picks -- that way, you can filter out some of the more obvious, trite choices (pop culture, cute animals, etc.), and pick something "different and fun", THAT MOST OF THE COMMUNITY STILL LIKES.

Frankly, when the top entries garnered anywhere from 200 - 750 votes, it seems like the height of arrogance/contrariness to offer everyone a design that was summarily rejected with a mere 70 votes, and then expect them to fall over themselves buying it.

orabbit


quality posts: 30 Private Messages orabbit

Well, it's quite a dubious honor to be responsible for the rarest of rari-tees, but one I am proud of none the less. Thanks to ADQ for a brave pick, and thanks to you brave hundred for seeing the humor in this design and clicking that stupidly large button. All the fuss does indeed lend a strange, but not foul, air to my first print. As my father-in-law Paul Bley says, there's no such thing as bad press. Stay tuned!

Starblind


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Starblind
bargainbourne wrote:
Frankly, when the top entries garnered anywhere from 200 - 750 votes, it seems like the height of arrogance/contrariness to offer everyone a design that was summarily rejected with a mere 70 votes, and then expect them to fall over themselves buying it.



Exactly. I could get behind the whole staff pick idea if it really was done in the name of art over commerce or helping out the little guy or whatever. But this is clearly a hasty pick of something the community obviously said no to already, and which (surprise!) very few people actually want to buy. It IS arrogant to assume you know better than the customer what they want, and that brand of arrogance has killed more than a few products and companies over the years.

Note that I don't think orabbit is actually a bad artist, but this is a terrible design. Indeed, the fact that somebody posted A Major Award kind of underscores that this wasn't even the best design from this same artist in this derby! The Major Award one could be worn with a 50 cent thrift store lampshade with an eye slit cut out as an (admittedly goofy) ACTUAL COSTUME, and would have been recognisable to nearly everyone.

Moueska


quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
Starblind wrote:Yeah, clearly woot was just kidding when they asked artists to design stuff anybody would actually want to wear. What they really wanted all along was something a 6-month-old might wear to a Lancaster barn raising. It took all these years but someone finally figured it out!



You're still seeing the bib. My family had about ten of these Russian stacking doll sets, so I'm leaning towards defending it as a novel concept. I see more of a bold-line, lotus-style flower when I think of the "belly" design, though.

From the last six years of lurking on these forums, I've seen dozens of comments on the shirt.woot threads where people are lamenting the days before the "flood of the pop culture" and "constant kawaii animal" prints. Have they quelled? Yes, and in there I can recall dozens of "Woot, you had me, you lost me" posts regarding the gravitation toward "easy kill" shirts.

So yes, I do hear a tad bit of irony in the first part.

(srsly)


In relation to the three picked, did anyone notice that the first place (most votes) Was "Derby Champ", second place was "Derby Chimp", and third place was "Derby Chump"? This probably kicked in with the Editor-pick change...


And if we're sticking to the "1-5" list, remember - it's a guest editor. They thought it was pretty darned wearable, and there've been other positive support comments.

Don't feel like wearing it over your head like the picture? COOL. With a "baboushka" or head-scarf, a red peasant skirt (or blue jeans, if they want to be a short doll), it's actually a really strong base. To finish it off, wear bright red circles on your cheek (lipstick works fine), red lips, and eyeliner. If you have to ask WHY about the make-up, then you're probably not buying the shirt anyway. :D

aerc712


quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
orabbit wrote: All the fuss does indeed lend a strange, but not foul, air to my first print.



Sadly, I doubt many even care about that. Sorry your first print got stuck in the middle of this.

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

It's a shame that this is what our community has become. Such uproar over a low selling quirky shirt. DEAR GOD what shall we do with this entire day of sales wasted on something without mass appeal. Think of all the poor people who could have scored another Aliens reference shirt? And Prometheus is coming out in DVD soon!

YOU FOOLS!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE???

I wonder what would happen if Woot printed some freakishly odd future cult classic like any Edgar or angry day or sea chimp in this day and age.

I don't get the joke! This doesn't make any sense! My friends will laugh at me and my girlfriend would dump me if I wore this!

Radscoolian


quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian

Congrats, orabbit! I'm sorry to see some of the response you've gotten.
A few of my e.c.s got a crummy response, and it kind of sullied the victory.
Don't let it bring you down.

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Congratulations on your first print, Orabbit!

yankeebird


quality posts: 7 Private Messages yankeebird
Shabutie wrote:There has been so many motives that i would have loved to get printed and didn´t had a chance, but these new rules are just not fair. I don´t think i´m mainstream and sometimes i can´t understand why so many ppl have voted for a shirt.I hate to see an awesome motive that doesn´t get printed cuz it has been too late or doesn´t hit the taste of the mainstream. It´s great if shirt.woot decides to print more shirts of a derby beside the winners.but to change the rules at the costs of the true winners is ridiculous. like i´ve said before,take three days for the winners and one or two days for editor´s/guest´s choice. you still got at least two days left for something else. Everyone would be happy. It´s not against todays motive. it´s not my taste but my girlfriend bought one. I don´t hate the motive i just don´t care about it but the difference between 70 votes and so much more for those in the fog has been much to much to overlook the new rules.



No, everybody wouldn't be happy. There would be complaints about there being five days of "costume" shirts and wanting more variety. Too many derby shirts, not enough dailies.

And what's with all the "motives"? Your post confuses me.

Renata29


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Renata29

Woot forums have always seemed like a boy's club...the hate spewed toward about a shirt with some feminine design elements reinforces this perception.

Moueska


quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
yankeebird wrote:And what's with all the "motives"? Your post confuses me.



I think he meant "Motif".

Renata29 wrote:Woot forums have always seemed like a boy's club...the hate spewed toward about a shirt with some feminine design elements reinforces this perception.



With all the ridiculously adorable t-shirts, I wondered how this could possibly be the case on shirt.woot. On the main woot sites, however, there was a lot of "projection angst" at the woot "upgrade" to beta. And by "projection angst", I mean there were at least a dozen posts where the writer (I'm assuming male) wrote a "Goodbye, Woot. We had something special, but now you're cheapened by Amazon. You harlot." post.

Drove. Me. Nuts.

junksauce


quality posts: 0 Private Messages junksauce
darkinc wrote:Not a fan of this one..


agreed.

rugrats2001


quality posts: 14 Private Messages rugrats2001
MaximusTCR wrote:You forgot the, "I put people into stereotypes because it gives me the façade of originality". Those guys are the "real" posers.



yeah, I forgot to include those... hey, I see what you did!

alanhwoot


quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot

Woot prints 365 different shirts a year (not counting the side sales). I'm willing to accept that some are going to be clunkers.

I'm also fine with the new rules, and I'm willing to give the judges their own discretion.

If this shirt doesn't sell, it'll be gone in the reckoning after a week and you won't have to worry about it any more.

rugrats2001


quality posts: 14 Private Messages rugrats2001
bluetuba wrote:I wonder what would happen if Woot printed some freakishly odd future cult classic like any Edgar or angry day or sea chimp in this day and age.



My daughter loves her copy of "Angry Day"!

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Moueska wrote:With all the ridiculously adorable t-shirts, I wondered how this could possibly be the case on shirt.woot.


Males primarily buy those.

move along

fossilgirl1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages fossilgirl1
orabbit wrote:Well, it's quite a dubious honor to be responsible for the rarest of rari-tees, but one I am proud of none the less. Thanks to ADQ for a brave pick, and thanks to you brave hundred for seeing the humor in this design and clicking that stupidly large button. All the fuss does indeed lend a strange, but not foul, air to my first print. As my father-in-law Paul Bley says, there's no such thing as bad press. Stay tuned!


A Major Award design! I do hope it gets printed at some point. I would buy one for everyone on my Christmas list. Good Luck!
I loved your

Starblind


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Starblind
Renata29 wrote:Woot forums have always seemed like a boy's club...the hate spewed toward about a shirt with some feminine design elements reinforces this perception.



Well, if you took out the flowers and replaced them with t-rex dinosaurs holding John Deere camo chainsaws...

...nope, it would still suck and still look like a baby bib.

qetza


quality posts: 3 Private Messages qetza

Congrats on the print Orabbit!

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
fishbiscuit5 wrote:Congratulations on your first print, Orabbit!

Wait what, first, really? I had no idea! Congratulations orabbit!!!

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)