WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Did you make sure to register to vote?
  • 2.7% - I can’t; I’m underage. 22
  • 72.3% - Yes! And I can’t wait to cast my vote! 582
  • 8.4% - Oooh, not yet. Thanks for the reminder. I’ll Google “Voter Registration” for my state and do it online right now! 68
  • 11.6% - I don’t vote because I’m everything that’s wrong with America. 93
  • 5% - There are people who don’t live in America, y’know. 40
805 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Twilightrealms

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Twilightrealms

Is it just me, or is the wording on the fourth option really.... I'm not sure biased is the exact word I want. Scathing, maybe?

lonelypond

quality posts: 426 Private Messages lonelypond

Or here's a handy Rock the Vote link.

cedaroo

quality posts: 12 Private Messages cedaroo

Shouldn't "There are people who don't live in America, y’know." be something more along the lines of: "There are people who don't live in democracies, y'know?".

America is hardly the only place people vote.

arryielle

quality posts: 6 Private Messages arryielle

How about "Yes, I'm registered, but I'm not excited about any of the candidates" ?

My shirts available on Teetrade and WootStalker!

silveri

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silveri

How about I'm not registered to vote because I do not believe in the current system. Electoral reform would be nice.

Miquela

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Miquela

Or, No, but wish i could. Im not yet a citizen (still need to take the final test/interview). Lived here more than half my life though.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor
silveri wrote:How about I'm not registered to vote because I do not believe in the current system. Electoral reform would be nice.

That's already under "I don’t vote because I’m everything that’s wrong with America."

For people like yourself, I will inform you how some other democracies work--mandatory voting. Australia, for example, forces people to vote in all national elections. The only requirement is that citizens over 18 need to register to vote and turn in a ballot by the end of election day. They cannot tell people how to vote. One approach dissenters engage in is to turn in an empty ballot or a completely full ballot to nullify their vote.

While there is a philosophical debate about whether or not compulsory voting encourages the ideals behind a liberal democracy, that is not point. There are state and local issues that directly affect you and refusing to vote because you don't like the process or the people is childish or lazy and definitely short-sighted. You don't have to vote for a particular candidate for a particular office, but you should vote for a particular issue.

During the 2010 midterms, my ballot included a state measure regarding term-limits for state legislators. If you don't like the people in office, passing this kind of measure removes them from office and places new blood in more often. Eventually someone who touts electoral reform as their major issue will run for office and may not win because you don't like the process.

On a side note, you woot folks also forgot "I can't vote because of new stringent voter-ID laws put into place by Republican state legislatures based on the false premise of quelling voter fraud but was actually a method to purposely lower both the youth and minority vote in this upcoming election."

silveri

quality posts: 1 Private Messages silveri
curtisuxor wrote:That's already under "I don’t vote because I’m everything that’s wrong with America."

For people like yourself, I will inform you how some other democracies work--mandatory voting. Australia, for example, forces people to vote in all national elections. The only requirement is that citizens over 18 need to register to vote and turn in a ballot by the end of election day. They cannot tell people how to vote. One approach dissenters engage in is to turn in an empty ballot or a completely full ballot to nullify their vote.

While there is a philosophical debate about whether or not compulsory voting encourages the ideals behind a liberal democracy, that is not point. There are state and local issues that directly affect you and refusing to vote because you don't like the process or the people is childish or lazy and definitely short-sighted. You don't have to vote for a particular candidate for a particular office, but you should vote for a particular issue.

During the 2010 midterms, my ballot included a state measure regarding term-limits for state legislators. If you don't like the people in office, passing this kind of measure removes them from office and places new blood in more often. Eventually someone who touts electoral reform as their major issue will run for office and may not win because you don't like the process.

On a side note, you woot folks also forgot "I can't vote because of new stringent voter-ID laws put into place by Republican state legislatures based on the false premise of quelling voter fraud but was actually a method to purposely lower both the youth and minority vote in this upcoming election."

Funny, you have no idea how you sound. I'm not going to take the bait though. Have a nice day.

kutiel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kutiel

I would say I'm excited to cast my vote only we only have one car... husband works all day of the voting and I wont get to go.

gravityisweak

quality posts: 27 Private Messages gravityisweak

I'll start off the "it doesn't matter who I vote for because the winner is already decided" category.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 569 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Not sure about other states, but the registration deadline for the November elections has passed here in TX.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bigyoda20

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigyoda20

Yes this year our vote is kind of like choosing how we want to die-
by slow painful poisoning or by slow painful bludgeoning.

cptgone

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cptgone

"There are people who don’t live in America, y’know."
foreigners [without a] green [card] is people?

steven009

quality posts: 2 Private Messages steven009
Oooh, not yet. Thanks for the reminder. I’ll Google “Voter Registration” for my state and do it online right now!

Reminds me of the girl who sat next to me in my AP Government class who was so excited that she had registered to vote online, but was annoyed that it cost so much. Our teacher was confused, so she went to show him the website and it didn't exist anymore!

She was the same girl who tore a hole in the knee of her jeans and couldn't understand why her mom didn't want her to buy the new jeans at the mall that came with a hole in the knee. That was a fun class...

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude

I don't vote because the election is:

#1) A waste of your time unless you live in a swing state

#2) Between a large feminine cleansing product and a turd sandwich

And rumor has it jury duty is selected from driver's license and voter registration lists.

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981
kutiel wrote:I would say I'm excited to cast my vote only we only have one car... husband works all day of the voting and I wont get to go.

Get an absentee ballot and mail it in then.

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

I'm a strong believer in if you don't vote, you have nothing to complain about. So yes, I will be voting.