mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

Let me preface this by saying I really hate this shirt style and even within the confines of what is a really bad layout for a shirt, I don't find there to be much of quality. Funny thing is though that there are probably two I would buy which is more than most derbies. One of those is my pick:

Darwin College- Talk about some competition by Josephus

You can't really go wrong with Darwin. Actually that's not true at all. Most people go wrong with Darwin because they include him in some situation that is completely embarrassing for anyone who actually knows or cares about science. This isn't one of those. It's something I'd be happy and proud to wear. Clean, simple and to the point. No extraneous joke or useless reference. The shirt is badass because Darwin was a badass.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Darwin is a pretty strong entry, and would be my pick also if I wasn't in fear of bodily harm every time I wore it. (Bible belt, FTL)
So instead, I go with something near and dear. Cthulhu.
The style and detail in the illustration fits the design perfectly, lending a '20s feel. Also, I'm quite pleased by the us of "eldritch" here, vs. the prior overused and obvious "R'lyeh"

move along

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

Darwin is worse than the Great Old One. That's awesome.

And after last week...I'm almost scared to submit this!

But, one must be brave. So, my pick this week is

I'm a baker, plus I really like the color combination used and the details, like the gum drops. Great work, very funny.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

Mavyn wrote:Darwin is worse than the Great Old One. That's awesome

Look at it this way:
Darwin Fish on my car = vandalism
Flying Spaghetti Monster = confusion
Pirate Fish = Awesome

move along

Mavyn

j5 wrote:Look at it this way:
Darwin Fish on my car = vandalism
Flying Spaghetti Monster = confusion
Pirate Fish = Awesome

I'm so glad that I don't have to deal with that.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

I love the stylized mermaid that jessisima created. The shirt has a nice college logo feel to it, too

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712

My pick for this week is wirdou's Mars University

It is really easy for a "college" shirt to be really busy and I shy away from those and prefer the simpler ones. When in school, I stuck to the shirts that had a small logo or just simply said the school's name.

Wirdou's design is simple, but has some pretty thoughtful details. The minimal text is great and frames the Curiosity drawing well. The addition of the stars was a nice detail, and I do like how subtle they are. Plus, just in terms of the Mars/Curiosity designs that have come out, this is just one of my favorites. So, wirdou, great job!

chennai8

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chennai8
j5 wrote:Darwin is a pretty strong entry, and would be my pick also if I wasn't in fear of bodily harm every time I wore it. (Bible belt, FTL)
So instead, I go with something near and dear. Cthulhu.
The style and detail in the illustration fits the design perfectly, lending a '20s feel. Also, I'm quite pleased by the us of "eldritch" here, vs. the prior overused and obvious "R'lyeh"

I second Cthulhu. Awesome colors and wearable design.

neyfam2000 wrote:Woot!--going from "Deal-a-day" to "Site-a-day"

mrwednesday

chennai8 wrote:I second Cthulhu. Awesome colors and wearable design.

I agree, though I never read Lovecraft so I don't have any particular fondness for Cthulhu (not to mention most cult memes really turn me off). I'd be happy to see any of the choices print. They are are all well done.

j5

mrwednesday wrote:(not to mention most cult memes really turn me off).

When you say "cult" do you mean pop-cult or true believers? The only Cthulhu cults I'm aware of are just as fake as Pastafarians (sorry, spoilers)

move along

mrwednesday

j5 wrote:When you say "cult" do you mean pop-cult or true believers? The only Cthulhu cults I'm aware of are just as fake as Pastafarians (sorry, spoilers)

Pop cult. No I do not think people, rational ones anyway, believe in Cthulhu. I can see why people in general like those designs because I've bought my share but in general I don't think it's good design when it can't stand on it's own.

Mavyn

j5 wrote:When you say "cult" do you mean pop-cult or true believers? The only Cthulhu cults I'm aware of are just as fake as Pastafarians (sorry, spoilers)

R'amen to you.