orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
jasneko wrote:I'm having trouble deciding on the colors here. If anyone likes the design and has a preference, please share

Ninja Cat

I like this one best. It looks the most ninja-y. I agree with Mavyn about the fence. I didn't realize that's what it was until she said so. Maybe pointy tops like a picket fence? I like the outfit as is though.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit
Mavyn wrote:FWIW, when the rule is 'No text', it literally means absolutely nothing that is on a keyboard or can be read. So no Japanese/Chinese characters, no grammar marks, no numbers, no letters of the alphabet, etc.

So, having scribbles that look like writing but aren't writing should be ok then? The book in my image has no actual writing, just marks that seem word-like... I have even gone in to make the parts that seemed like identifiable letters less-so...

Is that ok, you think? I tried it without the writing in the book and it seemed to change the image's intent...

Sorry... I'm stubborn.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Thanks mavyn and orarabbit!! Actually in my mind it's a metal railing/banister type of thing (the kind with stairs/porches)... I guess that's what I've always seen my cats always walking along I wondered if that might be unfamiliar to others. Should I make it a fence, would that be more universally understood?

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
oakenspirit wrote:So, having scribbles that look like writing but aren't writing should be ok then? The book in my image has no actual writing, just marks that seem word-like... I have even gone in to make the parts that seemed like identifiable letters less-so...

Is that ok, you think? I tried it without the writing in the book and it seemed to change the image's intent...

Sorry... I'm stubborn.

Marks that look like text but are not letters are acceptable. Just nothing that is a real letter.

For example: This was rejected, but resubmitted like this and was fine.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Mavyn

jasneko wrote:Thanks mavyn and orarabbit!! Actually in my mind it's a metal railing/banister type of thing (the kind with stairs/porches)... I guess that's what I've always seen my cats always walking along I wondered if that might be unfamiliar to others. Should I make it a fence, would that be more universally understood?

Aha...I can kind of see that. I think what breaks it in my mind is the uneven bottoms of the vertical pieced and the white top. Not sure what would fix that--maybe something in the background to highlight which is the solid bit?

justynadorsz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justynadorsz

[quote postid="5201892" user="jasneko"]I'm having trouble deciding on the colors here. If anyone likes the design and has a preference, please share

Ninja Cat

I like the design but can't decide which color's better. Black is more ninja, but the green one looks kind of more cute

orabbit

I went with green to give a sea feel. Are these colors offensive to anyone? I'm still doing shading with 1 hour to go! Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

Oh, and one other thing - is it obvious that he's reading a fish version of Sherlock Holmes? And is it confusing to have two red fish with pipes? I'm not sure if there's an unintentional connection there.

Mavyn

orabbit wrote:I went with green to give a sea feel. Are these colors offensive to anyone? I'm still doing shading with 1 hour to go! Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

Oh, and one other thing - is it obvious that he's reading a fish version of Sherlock Holmes? And is it confusing to have two red fish with pipes? I'm not sure if there's an unintentional connection there.

Yes, Sherlock Holmes comes through. I'd drop the pipe for the herring, though. It just looks...awkward.

oakenspirit

orabbit wrote:I went with green to give a sea feel. Are these colors offensive to anyone? I'm still doing shading with 1 hour to go! Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

Like the colors!

and I read sherlock right away... Also adds a neat layer of idle worship with him blowing his own pipe.

oakenspirit

Mavyn wrote:Marks that look like text but are not letters are acceptable. Just nothing that is a real letter.

For example: This was rejected, but resubmitted like this and was fine.

Thanks for the clarity Mavyn

Mavyn

oakenspirit wrote:Thanks for the clarity Mavyn

I like your owl. I'd hate to see it rejected!

jasneko

Mavyn wrote:Aha...I can kind of see that. I think what breaks it in my mind is the uneven bottoms of the vertical pieced and the white top. Not sure what would fix that--maybe something in the background to highlight which is the solid bit?

I'm not sure how to work something in on the background that will look right in this situation... would a fence like this work better?

mjc613

quality posts: 47 Private Messages mjc613
aerc712 wrote:Sloth! Very funny. Given the rules, I would be wary of having the "WR," even though it is minimal. Some other possibilities are to have him crossing the finish line, standing on a podium, or getting a gold medal.

The number would count as text also. If you want to use a scoreboard, I suggest squiggles and/or non-typed dashes.

naymarie33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages naymarie33
jasneko wrote:I'm not sure how to work something in on the background that will look right in this situation... would a fence like this work better?

Hmm, I'm not sure about that one, just because it looks like that would hurt the cat, or like they're some sort of spikes. And btw, I liked the green shirt!

jasneko

Thanks for the comment naymarie! It pushed me over to submit it with the railing (took out the white line though) and green for now

naymarie33 wrote:Hmm, I'm not sure about that one, just because it looks like that would hurt the cat, or like they're some sort of spikes. And btw, I liked the green shirt!

oakenspirit

About to give up on this design... Started feeling like it wasn't going to do well and I might as well start over on another idea...

Any thoughts? SHould I keep going with it?

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

I wasn't enthusiastic about the Hipsterpotamus revamp I was planning, and instead did a shirt version of a character I have drawn here and there. He is a Swamp Singer. Let me know what you think!

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 21 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
barefists wrote:Wonder if we can submit an entry with no animals in it, but hints at it...

I'm a big fan of this one and I think it does a much better job of representing the theme than a random slightly-anthropomorphised creature does, despite having no animals on the design. XD

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

orabbit

oakenspirit wrote:About to give up on this design... Started feeling like it wasn't going to do well and I might as well start over on another idea...

Any thoughts? SHould I keep going with it?

Great idea, but the pose is a little awkward. It's hard to see what's going on at Zany to the max!

Maybe just move the non-sword hand to a different position.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712
mjc613 wrote:The number would count as text also. If you want to use a scoreboard, I suggest squiggles and/or non-typed dashes.

The design that was submitted did not have numbers or letters. After concerns were raised about whether the original design would be accepted, the artist reworked it.

bolis

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bolis

If you make your winning platforms different levels usually the highest level is for the winner on down to the lowest level for third place. you won't need #'s same goes for colors for the medals. Good luck

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 85 Private Messages Thirdbase9

Two zebras as football referees, one signaling TD, the other incomplete pass.

Please someone make this.

I don't know.

pangurban

quality posts: 3 Private Messages pangurban

Etiquette question for you wise and experienced folks: when one spends half a day on a design and goes to post and finds someone has posted a nearly identical (and quite good) design while one wasn't looking, what's the best way to handle it? Enter anyway, politeness be damned? Or delete, and bite the bullet?

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
pangurban wrote:Etiquette question for you wise and experienced folks: when one spends half a day on a design and goes to post and finds someone has posted a nearly identical (and quite good) design while one wasn't looking, what's the best way to handle it? Enter anyway, politeness be damned? Or delete, and bite the bullet?

It's ok to keep it there. That stuff happens once in awhile. I'd only remove it if it happened to be exactly the same as a printed shirt.

rcdl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rcdl

Sorry for my english but i can't help adding a comment.
A very good theme I think but extremely disappointed by all I've seen so far.
Where are all the fantastic ideas and great sketches that are usually proposed ?
Looks like only children under 10 are posting ideas.

aksthomp

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aksthomp

I'm having trouble uploading my artwork, but this is my image I want to enter... hopefully I can get my upload issue straightened out... see if this works...

Mavyn

An awful lot of artists seem to be overlooking the 'no text' rule this round. Kind of sad.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:An awful lot of artists seem to be overlooking the 'no text' rule this round. Kind of sad.

Rules? What are those?

move along

Mavyn

j5 wrote:Rules? What are those?

We don't need no stinkin' rules!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:We don't need no stinkin' rules!

The axeman cometh.

move along

Mavyn

j5 wrote:The axeman cometh.

Lockup your consonants and hide your vowels?

Je5ster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Je5ster

Yeah, yeah, animals dressed up as people.
When is the Halloween derby?!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Je5ster wrote:Yeah, yeah, animals dressed up as people.
When is the Halloween derby?!

"shirt as costume" wasn't enuf 4 u?

the next (not current) derby prints the weekend of oct 26-28 ... not much time to ship that third print ...

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

I wish I could have entered this derby. but alas... it came during Comic Con.