WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

If there's one thing we've learned, it's that you guys love animals dressed up like people. And if there's a SECOND thing we've learned, it's that constant corporate pressure to deliver profits means we have to get derivative in a hurry. So let's get down with animals dressed up as people! Maybe it's a goat filling out TPS reports. Maybe it's some panda cops arresting a polar bear cat burglar. Maybe it's a beautiful baby bird feeling the crushing ennui of corporate culture and longing to escape to a better life in the woods. Whatever.

Original ideas only. If you can't design something without using someone else's existing characters, maybe take a break.
No text.

paaiyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paaiyan

Guesses on how many rejections for pigs as cops?

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51

can the animals be extinct?

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 7 Private Messages benjaminleebates

Can they be mythological, cryptids, or, or imaginary!?

cynic11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cynic11

this

"Original ideas only. If you can't design something without using someone else's existing characters, maybe take a break."

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

I wonder if it'd be counterproductive to submit a bunch of entries?

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712

If someone has a penguin selling suits and tuxes, I won't be able to resist that shirt.

Clever? Eh, probably not.
Adorable? Yes! And really, that's all that matters. ;)

Oh, and those who hate the cute designs, this might be the time to take a week off from checking the derby.

FloppyKing

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FloppyKing
Josephus wrote:I wonder if it'd be counterproductive to submit a bunch of entries?

only if they're similar concepts that would compete for each others votes.

verminbury

quality posts: 0 Private Messages verminbury

I won't have time to draw up the animals' flip-side version of a Furry convention, but I've got the image stuck in my head. Maybe they'd call it a Shiny convention?

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

I was thinking of redoing this design (making it more dynamic and so on)...but I was just wondering if there is any interest in the general idea? Hipsterpotamus anyone? Maybe I would get rid of the writing... not sure yet.

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565

Great derby/rules !! Can't wait to see this !

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
aerc712 wrote:Oh, and those who hate the cute designs, this might be the time to take a week off from checking the derby.

LOL...never! Did you know that it's possible to do animals without being cute? Yes, I assure you, it can be done. Come on people, design something that doesn't make me puke rainbows!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
cynic11 wrote:this

"Original ideas only. If you can't design something without using someone else's existing characters, maybe take a break."

Oop!
I'm out.

move along

aerc712

tomspc wrote:LOL...never! Did you know that it's possible to do animals without being cute? Yes, I assure you, it can be done. Come on people, design something that doesn't make me puke rainbows!

I am aware that it is possible. However, this theme does lend itself to having quite a few "cute" designs and there is nothing wrong with that. As long as a design is original and well-executed, that is all that matters.

There's nothing constructive in saying that designs are terrible just because they "make me puke rainbows". A design could be very detailed and well-done and just because someone doesn't like seeing a happy bunny, doesn't mean the design is horrible and not worth printing. The design that instantly gets rejected because it's cute is something that someone worked on for hours. Artists deserve more than "NO CUTE STUFF ALLOWED."

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
jessisima wrote: I was thinking of redoing this design (making it more dynamic and so on)...but I was just wondering if there is any interest in the general idea? Hipsterpotamus anyone? Maybe I would get rid of the writing... not sure yet.

I like it. And yes, text must go, since the rule says No Text.

But I'm a fan of hippos.

And rhinos.

And other animals ending in 'os'.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

FloppyKing

Mavyn wrote:I like it. And yes, text must go, since the rule says No Text.

But I'm a fan of hippos.

And rhinos.

And other animals ending in 'os'.

Might get rejected for non-original character, but i would buy a shirt similar to this if it was a hiphopopotamus or Rhymenoceros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FArZxLj6DLk

FloppyKing

I'm finding the derby rules/description slightly contradictory. Wouldn't a goat filling out "TPS" reports go against the "original ideas only" rule? Does that rule just mean that the character used in the design can't be an existing character such as ducktales, talespin, etc., but the design can still include elements or references to an existing work?

inu14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages inu14

I had a go:

not sure if its an animal people will recognise ^^;

would this count as text? any help would be welcome ^^

Averages 10 votes per round ;)

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
jessisima wrote: I was thinking of redoing this design (making it more dynamic and so on)...but I was just wondering if there is any interest in the general idea? Hipsterpotamus anyone? Maybe I would get rid of the writing... not sure yet.

Cool! I like the colors. You should fix the glasses. Something weird is happening on the left side.

aerc712

inu14 wrote:I had a go:

Sloth! Very funny. Given the rules, I would be wary of having the "WR," even though it is minimal. Some other possibilities are to have him crossing the finish line, standing on a podium, or getting a gold medal.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Yes, that is text.

move along

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

Why no text? That's annoying. Maybe incidental text only? I've got a couple ideas that would be greatly improved with a bit of supporting text.

inu14

j5 wrote:Yes, that is text.

thanks I'll make some modifications ^^!

inu14

aerc712 wrote:Sloth! Very funny. Given the rules, I would be wary of having the "WR," even though it is minimal. Some other possibilities are to have him crossing the finish line, standing on a podium, or getting a gold medal.

Thanks for the help! I'll have a go at some of these suggestions and see which works best ^^.

FloppyKing

inu14 wrote:Thanks for the help! I'll have a go at some of these suggestions and see which works best ^^.

If you do him on a podium getting gold maybe a snail and/or turtle could get second and third

I'd buy it

aerc712

FloppyKing wrote:If you do him on a podium getting gold maybe a snail and/or turtle could get second and third

I'd buy it

And a rabbit handing out the medals.

FloppyKing

aerc712 wrote:And a rabbit handing out the medals.

that would make it seem like the special olympics of the animal kingdom... whether that's good or bad is up to you

aerc712

FloppyKing wrote:that would make it seem like the special olympics of the animal kingdom... whether that's good or bad is up to you

Oof, totally not the intention. Nevermind!

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth

:O

Well this is certainly as close to 'furry week' as it'll get around here! :D

(Can I be guest editor this week? XD)

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

inu14

FloppyKing wrote:If you do him on a podium getting gold maybe a snail and/or turtle could get second and third

I'd buy it

Thank you I'll take this into consideration ^^. I was thinking about having him win against a cheetah & an ostrich at one point but wasn't sure if it would work ^^.

Thanks for the help I'm very grateful ^^

aerc712

inu14 wrote:Thank you I'll take this into consideration ^^. I was thinking about having him win against a cheetah & an ostrich at one point but wasn't sure if it would work ^^.

Thanks for the help I'm very grateful ^^

Something like that could work if the expressions are right - pure glee on the sloth, bewilderment on the faster animals' faces.

Have fun playing with the different possibilities!

paaiyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paaiyan
inu14 wrote:Thanks for the help! I'll have a go at some of these suggestions and see which works best ^^.

FYI, they'll also count the numbers and decimal as text, in case that wasn't made clear already. They've done it before.

TobiasAmaranth

quality posts: 25 Private Messages TobiasAmaranth
paaiyan wrote:FYI, they'll also count the numbers and decimal as text, in case that wasn't made clear already. They've done it before.

There's always an unmarked stopwatch that clearly makes use of the 'hour' hand. :P

And I do hope people will take the 'as people' part to heart. There was a basic anthropomorphized animal derby a while back and this takes that execution a step further.

I for one am quite glad to see that it's 'original ideas only'. I do have one suggestion for a talented artist: "Fox Trot", elegant ballroom dancing with anthro foxes in proper attire. A tasteful idea with a clever pun.

Support Fablefire: Follow her on -

writermist

quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

Oh I am loving this derby! :D
but I have no time this weekend.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 84 Private Messages oakenspirit

Ha! Seriously... I am knee deep in my own sloth drawing!
I SAY we make sloths the next woot mascot!

no worries though...
Our ideas are nothing alike...

oakenspirit

quality posts: 84 Private Messages oakenspirit

Any thoughts on this so far?

Wanting an owl writer staying up too late with writer's block....

thoughts on title as well?

thanks in advance...

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

This makes me think of my entry a while back: Hipster-Ness

JadenKale

quality posts: 181 Private Messages JadenKale

As a total side note: I NEED to participate in this derby. I swear it's made for me.

aerc712

oakenspirit wrote:Any thoughts on this so far?

Wanting an owl writer staying up too late with writer's block....

thoughts on title as well?

I do like the idea. However, I at least partially saw a rabbit - I think the feather on the top of the head was a main factor in that. The coloring of the feathers didn't quite say owl, but overall it is a great idea.

It's super cheesy, but here's a title idea - Writing's a Hoot.

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc
aerc712 wrote:I am aware that it is possible. However, this theme does lend itself to having quite a few "cute" designs and there is nothing wrong with that. As long as a design is original and well-executed, that is all that matters.

There's nothing constructive in saying that designs are terrible just because they "make me puke rainbows". A design could be very detailed and well-done and just because someone doesn't like seeing a happy bunny, doesn't mean the design is horrible and not worth printing. The design that instantly gets rejected because it's cute is something that someone worked on for hours. Artists deserve more than "NO CUTE STUFF ALLOWED."

No one said "NO CUTE STUFF ALLOWED", it was you who said "those who hate the cute designs this might be the time to take a week off from checking the derby". I was merely pointing out that they don't have to do cute designs. The rules don't say it has to be cute.

I know and expect the same old people will submit the same old cute crap and hopefully they will be rejected for not coming up with something NEW and ORIGINAL.