WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Horrors of the deep. Atrocities of man's hubris. Extraterrestrial terrors. Who doesn't love a good monster, robot, or alien? This week give us your best design featuring one (or two, or three) of the afore-mentioned monsters, robots, and aliens doing...whatever it is they do.

• No Star Wars, Doctor Who, Mario, or Zelda.
  • No text.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

monsters, robots and aliens, oh my!

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

I'm a little surprised this isn't a Halloween derby....

Oh well. Nice theme tho.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
artulo wrote:I'm a little surprised this isn't a Halloween derby....

Oh well. Nice theme tho.

Close enough, depending on the submissions. Fhtagn Cthulhu represent.

move along

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Have we ever not had a Halloween derby? Costume shirts aren't good enough!

Although honestly my favorite Halloween shirts could very well be ones with monsters, robots, and aliens on them anyway.. plus this would eliminate cute kitten in pumpkin designs..

Did I just talk myself into it?

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

I was expecting a general Halloweenie derby too, been drawing ghosts all day. :p

Cool theme though. There will be a bumper crop of monsters, robots and aliens, no doubt. Can you please add Hallowoot as a pre-fix, Mr Woot? For tradition's sake. ^__^

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
j5 wrote:Close enough, depending on the submissions. Fhtagn Cthulhu represent.

I just finished 3, count em, 3 Cthulhu designs, and they all have text as an integral part. Plus, I have a rad Mario monster I've never used. Poo!

orabbit

While I'm thinking of it, here's one I'm still working on. I know it won't work for this derby, but this thread is great for feedback. Does my Minecraft Cthulhu look enough like Cthulhu? I haven't done the body yet, because I'm not convinced about the head.

j5

orabbit wrote:While I'm thinking of it, here's one I'm still working on. I know it won't work for this derby, but this thread is great for feedback. Does my Minecraft Cthulhu look enough like Cthulhu? I haven't done the body yet, because I'm not convinced about the head.

Winner!

move along

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit
orabbit wrote:While I'm thinking of it, here's one I'm still working on. I know it won't work for this derby, but this thread is great for feedback. Does my Minecraft Cthulhu look enough like Cthulhu? I haven't done the body yet, because I'm not convinced about the head.

I think it rocks orabbit.

Maybe is all corners weren't identical, it would read more like cthulu's head, but overall I instantly knew who it was. lovely.

Is threadless still running its minecraft contest?

might be a contender...

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Nice design, orabbit! Shame it won't fit this derby.

Have you got a spare color to try red eyes?

sirend

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirend
oakenspirit wrote:I think it rocks orabbit.

Maybe is all corners weren't identical, it would read more like cthulu's head, but overall I instantly knew who it was. lovely.

Is threadless still running its minecraft contest?

might be a contender...

nice. that looks very cool, although I am not sure im getting this, if its lovecraft what does the image on the building block represent and how does it relate to the name?

j5

orabbit wrote:I just finished 3, count em, 3 Cthulhu designs, and they all have text as an integral part. Plus, I have a rad Mario monster I've never used. Poo!

I have a design I thought up as a daily. Not sure I'm up to submitting it to the gristmill.

move along

DAISYC

quality posts: 6 Private Messages DAISYC

I don't like the no Zelda rule

no1

j5 wrote:I have a design I thought up as a daily. Not sure I'm up to submitting it to the gristmill.

too bad no woot-related designs, the gristmill monster could be a design.

anemality

quality posts: 12 Private Messages anemality

Even if it's not specifically Halloweeny, I'm thinking of doing something moderately Halloweenish anyway, because... I haven't drawn any seasonal pictures lately, dangit. :<

orabbit

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll submit it as a daily.

CrescentDebris

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CrescentDebris

Specifying certain IPs to not rip off doesn't do much other than ensure more people flock to the ones not named such as E.T., Alien, Predator, Terminator etc. I'm sorry, but if you can't design your OWN robot, monster, or alien, you should find a new hobby.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
bluetuba wrote:Although honestly my favorite Halloween shirts could very well be ones with monsters, robots, and aliens on them anyway.. plus this would eliminate cute kitten in pumpkin designs..

What if it was one of Diana Sprinkle's CATerpillars in a pumpkin? They're sorta alienesque.

no1

how about a delorean driven by an intoxicated cookie monster crashing into a tardis!?

CrescentDebris wrote:blah blah blah E.T., Alien, Predator, Terminator blah blah

//adds to list of "ideas"

thanks for the suggestions!

j5

no1 wrote:how about a delorean driven by an intoxicated cookie monster crashing into a tardis!?

//adds to list of "ideas"

thanks for the suggestions!

Put a raven on it and you have something.

move along

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
j5 wrote:Put a raven on it and you have something.

If you like it then you should put a bird on it?

I'm just hanging out, really.

Icy13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Icy13
CrescentDebris wrote: I'm sorry, but if you can't design your OWN robot, monster, or alien, you should find a new hobby.

I'm sorry, but if you can't appreciate the appeal of riffs or mashups of pop culture you should find yourself a new t-shirt site.

Or, preferably, a new planet, solar system, galaxy, blah blah blah.

I don't care how cute your interpretation of the bounty hunter puppy is, I needed Boba Fetch in my life. Run your custom car into as many unique little snowflake phone booths as you like, you will never make me think that I didn't need It came out of nowhere.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
citizencoyote wrote:What if it was one of Diana Sprinkle's CATerpillars in a pumpkin? They're sorta alienesque.

Maybe if it were bursting out the side of a horrified jack-o-lantern's head with lots of pumpkin guts and orange gore. Or maybe a pumpkin puking cats? I could live with that, dianasprinkle rules.

Icy13 wrote:I'm sorry, but if you can't appreciate the appeal of riffs or mashups of pop culture you should find yourself a new t-shirt site.

I think he has already for the most part, which is too bad because he's a talented designer. The sort of which the derby needs more of, not less.

craftiness1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages craftiness1
sirend wrote:nice. that looks very cool, although I am not sure im getting this, if its lovecraft what does the image on the building block represent and how does it relate to the name?

Although wikipedia is not always the most credible source, it'll do in this instance:
Cthulhu[1] is a fictional cosmic entity who first appeared in the short story "The Call of Cthulhu", published in the pulp magazine Weird Tales in 1928. The character was created by writer H. P. Lovecraft.

sirend

Icy13 wrote:I'm sorry, but if you can't appreciate the appeal of riffs or mashups of pop culture you should find yourself a new t-shirt site.

Or, preferably, a new planet, solar system, galaxy, blah blah blah.

I don't care how cute your interpretation of the bounty hunter puppy is, I needed Boba Fetch in my life. Run your custom car into as many unique little snowflake phone booths as you like, you will never make me think that I didn't need It came out of nowhere.

He has a point though.. too many people too many times rely on that mushup of pop culture.. and the numbers are increasing more and more.. perhaps it is because of a lower caliber of artists who decide to laze around and just come up with some funny or witty situation with known to everyone characters.. and BIG part of it too is that more general public will vote for those kind of things.. by general public i most likely mean "nerds" that understand every little reference to some old school movie tv show etc. I wish we get more derbies that completely prohibit use of existing characters, designs and ideas. But ohh well its all about consumerism.. This is where you have a point. This is not a place for original high caliber artists for the most part. This is a place for those who rely on successful design and popularity of pop culture icons.

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey

Sure we always see pop culture references, but we also see a lot of original work too. Let's not complain about who's not at the party in front of the guests who arrived.

Je5ster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Je5ster
j5 wrote:Close enough, depending on the submissions. Fhtagn Cthulhu represent.

Ia! Ia!
Anything cute should be shot down.

No text huh?

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
orabbit wrote:Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll submit it as a daily.

I see a green skull instead of a tentacled face. But I have no advice on what to change on it, maybe extend the tentacles onto the body?

Also I think a skin of chuthul is available for the game, however that might affect you I have no clue.

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc

Maybe something like this...

j5

sirend wrote:perhaps it is because of a lower caliber of artists who decide to laze around and just come up with some funny or witty situation with known to everyone characters
This is not a place for original high caliber artists for the most part. This is a place for those who rely on successful design and popularity of pop culture icons.

That's my MO.

move along

sirend

autsey wrote:Sure we always see pop culture references, but we also see a lot of original work too. Let's not complain about who's not at the party in front of the guests who arrived.

so called "complaining" is a big part of any forum discussion which is what this is

autsey

sirend wrote:so called "complaining" is a big part of any forum discussion which is what this is

I'm complaining about complaining! I hear the same complaints every week, I want some original complaints!

:-) Okay, you're right, that IS more fun. Carry on without further interference from me. :D

autsey

Sorry, that reads snarky, and that wasn't what I meant. :/

autsey wrote:I'm complaining about complaining! I hear the same complaints every week, I want some original complaints!

:-) Okay, you're right, that IS more fun. Carry on without further interference from me. :D

lyonscc

And one more I worked on, anticipating that there would be some sort of Halloween derby...

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
lyonscc wrote:And one more I worked on, anticipating that there would be some sort of Halloween derby...

Very cool.... looks like it would be hard to print though....

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness

Robots! ROBOTS!!!

I'm looking at you, rglee and ockopika! ROBOOOOOTS!

lyonscc

deborah11565 wrote:Very cool.... looks like it would be hard to print though....

I just realized I need to move it up further on the shirt...

I don't know how hard it would be to print - I've run the halftones for it, and it looks pretty good... The palette (and the linear gradients between them) make the halftone conversion pretty easy...

A while back, Patrick's Pens did a great shirt, Nobody Left to Play With (I think it was called). I loved the way he did fire on that shirt, and I sat and studied it for a long time, before figuring out how to do something similar in Illustrator...

Where things get muddy in halftone conversions is when folks try to use intricate details with three or four colors on top of each other. When you use gradient-based fire, most all places you can get to where you are just blending two colors and not 3+ colors...

melfox86

quality posts: 3 Private Messages melfox86

Also- If you make the green of the blocks lighter, it might make the black detail stand out more?

I absolutely love this! What a great idea. I will totally buy this when it prints. (I hope it gets chosen as a daily soon, if you're submitting it)

thejinxed1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thejinxed1

I think it's kinda funny that it still says "No Star Wars, Doctor Who, Mario, or Zelda.", even though the highest voted is only picked for the first day. Are they THAT against getting one mainstream shirt in?