lisadanger

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lisadanger
Re: Daydream

this is beautiful.

facemeetpavement

quality posts: 0 Private Messages facemeetpavement

i have to agree with the others. i clicked expecting it to just be that face and that i'd hate it, but i actually like it quite a bit. nice job! i just hope people actually look at it.

paxdomino

quality posts: 5 Private Messages paxdomino
Re: Rising From the Steam

Ooooh, very cool!

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
bluetuba wrote:Maybe they meant "We can't print this" instead of "We can't run this" if it's a gradient issue.

I'm pretty sure there have been gradient specific rejection messages before, it is kinda sad when we have to break down the semantics of the message.

Exactly - in the past, I have seem them comment on issues with printability (and those seemed to indicate they had spoken with the artist, examined the files and made some sort of determination to that effect). The effect I'm using only mixes two solid colors in any one place, and does so smoothly across the full gradient space, and they've not received any files from me to this point.

The primary reason I reposted is because the rejection reason they gave is the one that has always been parsed to mean "copyright issues", and that's decidedly not the case with either of these designs, so I believe that if they made the determination for copyright reasons, I'd like to challenge that (and I can point to places where they have admitted such error to other artists and to myself).

Shirt.woot also notoriously answers almost no mail they receive, so sometimes the only way to get a straight answer is to repost and get a more clear answer if they reject it a second time.

thacripple4567

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thacripple4567

awwwwwww this is sooooooo cute

cfdunbar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar
Re: Rising From the Steam

This is a design that I've been working at off and on with plans to submit as a daily, though when this derby came up I felt that it fit perfectly.

EDIT: link to the large version isn't working, I'll work on it and figure it out.

cfdunbar

paxdomino wrote:Ooooh, very cool!

Thanks!

zoetropical

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zoetropical
lyonscc wrote:Exactly - in the past, I have seem them comment on issues with printability (and those seemed to indicate they had spoken with the artist, examined the files and made some sort of determination to that effect). The effect I'm using only mixes two solid colors in any one place, and does so smoothly across the full gradient space, and they've not received any files from me to this point.

The primary reason I reposted is because the rejection reason they gave is the one that has always been parsed to mean "copyright issues", and that's decidedly not the case with either of these designs, so I believe that if they made the determination for copyright reasons, I'd like to challenge that (and I can point to places where they have admitted such error to other artists and to myself).

Shirt.woot also notoriously answers almost no mail they receive, so sometimes the only way to get a straight answer is to repost and get a more clear answer if they reject it a second time.

Something you need to understand (with all due respect): this is woot's playground and they reserve the right, in the end, to accept or decline anything they want to. They're under no obligation to explain in detail why something is rejected.
There used to be a warning here about not getting "all butthurt" if your work is rejected, which is a good lesson for any designer.

srb122

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srb122
Re: Intergalactic Whiskers Champion

Great play on great movie series! Thanks for posting

cfdunbar

lyonscc

zoetropical wrote:Something you need to understand (with all due respect): this is woot's playground and they reserve the right, in the end, to accept or decline anything they want to. They're under no obligation to explain in detail why something is rejected.
There used to be a warning here about not getting "all butthurt" if your work is rejected, which is a good lesson for any designer.

I do understand this. The problem I have, though, is that when they don't give clear enough direction for what they accept or why they reject things, artists can then, in the future, either waste time doing something woot will reject (but never really explained) or have a cool idea they never put to paper because they misunderstood woot's acceptance/rejection reasons.

cephy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cephy
cfdunbar wrote:Here we go... I hope!
link to the LARGE version

So...seeing as how christmas is coming...*cough, cough* =D

toby8915

quality posts: 0 Private Messages toby8915

very cool.

sirend

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirend
cfdunbar wrote:This is a design that I've been working at off and on with plans to submit as a daily, though when this derby came up I felt that it fit perfectly.

EDIT: link to the large version isn't working, I'll work on it and figure it out.

its great! i like the amount of detail and shading you put into it considering the derby's requirements.

one thing that could be improved is the phoenix's left wing. It is definitely out of perspective because if you look at real birds their wing movements are very symmetrical at 95 percent of the time. In this picture the robots right wing is moving away from us whereas the left one is moving towards us which would not work. The only reason I'm judging it based on realism is because the style is very rendered and close to realism and to be consistent I would make sure the perspective is right. It would also add more to the aesthetics qaulities of this piece.

edgrrrzzmom

quality posts: 1 Private Messages edgrrrzzmom
Re: First Contact

Having been a caver in my younger days, I'd always wondered if there was "something else" down there besides bats and insects.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Re: ALIEN ABDASCHUND

Ha! Now that is funny.

edgrrrzzmom

Do robots dream of electric sheep?

orabbit

Re: A Robot's Best Friend

Good to see you back, Colin!

flattopfrank

quality posts: 2 Private Messages flattopfrank
Re: Frankguinstein

I finally had a chance to finsh this... YAY for me !!!!!!!!

edgrrrzzmom

kharmazero wrote:There is a war going on between human kind and robots.You can see some action
here
2 colors on black

If you have to explain the design, maybe it's not that good.

SeedUvPain

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SeedUvPain
Re: KONG

A menacing Donkey from an uncharted island climbs the Empire State Building to become "King Donkey"...no, wait...that's not right...

orabbit

Cool! Good luck.

flattopfrank

orabbit wrote:Cool! Good luck.

Thanks Orabbit !!

edgrrrzzmom

globalbee wrote:Really love this one... but would you consider resubbing without the vector people at the bottom?

The vector people are what makes the title make sense.

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
Re: Juicement Day

lol... too funny !

deborah11565

Ha.... even as a monster, penguin's are still cute !

deborah11565

deborah11565 wrote:Ha.... even as a monster, penguin's are still cute !

+1 !

deborah11565

jodiehuie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jodiehuie
Re: KONG

GREAT! Donkey Kong!!

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

lyonscc wrote:I do understand this. The problem I have, though, is that when they don't give clear enough direction for what they accept or why they reject things, artists can then, in the future, either waste time doing something woot will reject (but never really explained) or have a cool idea they never put to paper because they misunderstood woot's acceptance/rejection reasons.

I'll give my analysis based on my derby observations:

Your designs may have been rejected because, as some have guessed, the gradients are too small to print. The small details of the photo-realistic flames can be too small to print even if they're only two colors.
If you're sure it is printable, send your print file to Woot so they can look at it more closely.

Another reason they may have been rejected is that they look like photos treated with a filter or editing technique of some kind. I'm not here to argue the artistic merit of doing this. I think you can make awesome images this way. Woot just doesn't want any legal issues.
If they aren't photos, just show your original drawing. If they are photos or clip-art, then you have to prove that the art is free for commercial use. Sites that have totally free clip art will have a "terms of use" page describing how the art is free for commercial use. Sadly, the rejectionator won't take your word for it since there have been people who've been less than honest about using clip art.

I hope that's helpful and good luck!

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

kharmazero wrote:gosh!amazing how you kept it simple but so dynamic and full of energy!

Thanks very much, kharmazero and dgauz!

I'm very happy about how this one turned out!
I did try adding scales on the leviathan and wood texture on the boat, but the extra details took out a lot of the movement in the design. I'm working on making more fancy, detailed drawings that still have a lot of energy. Anyone have any pointers on how to do that?

harzack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages harzack
Re: Haloween

Hope you like it:D

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

Hooray a Kevbot!

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
Re: Not On My Watch

Hey! Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone. They are appreciated.

lyonscc

ochopika wrote:I'll give my analysis based on my derby observations:

Your designs may have been rejected because, as some have guessed, the gradients are too small to print. The small details of the photo-realistic flames can be too small to print even if they're only two colors.
If you're sure it is printable, send your print file to Woot so they can look at it more closely.

Another reason they may have been rejected is that they look like photos treated with a filter or editing technique of some kind. I'm not here to argue the artistic merit of doing this. I think you can make awesome images this way. Woot just doesn't want any legal issues.
If they aren't photos, just show your original drawing. If they are photos or clip-art, then you have to prove that the art is free for commercial use. Sites that have totally free clip art will have a "terms of use" page describing how the art is free for commercial use. Sadly, the rejectionator won't take your word for it since there have been people who've been less than honest about using clip art.

I hope that's helpful and good luck!

Thank you, this was very helpful. I sent them my organized AI files, etc. along with a more detailed explanation of how I created these images (which aren't photos, but rather products of Illustrator shapes/illustrations run through multiple filters, Photoshop adjustments and then additional filters, followed by a mathematical process for converting these to solid-color objects and single-group-single-color transparency layers for each of the colors.)

Hopefully, we'll be able to work things out, or (at the very least), understand what woot's concerns are with the design and/or technique.

Thank you again, very much, as this was helpful in organizing my response to them...

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

snip

justynadorsz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justynadorsz
blanked wrote:Nice. Though I am unclear what bits go with what monster.

Thanks!
I don't know that either ;)

flattopfrank

orabbit wrote:They can't print it. When you get really smooth gradients like this, anything below 15% and above 85% disappears or fills in respectively. It will not print well, hence the rejection. Merely resubmitting it is kind of petulant. Of course, they could do a better job communicating why.

They do need explain it better. Most people creating designs need to understand that certain types of art work can not be duplicated with a silkscreen. Digital printing will work, but not with silkscreening.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Not On My Watch

::taps screen::

Something is very wrong if this isn't in the fog. Stellar work, Rad.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Fire & Ice Resub

The technical side of things is actually pretty straightforward. Woot won't have a problem printing a design if:

- The halftones use no more than 30 lines/dots per inch

- Your file resolution is 300dpi

- The halftones only ever involve two interlocking inks

If you try to have finer lines than that, or you have more than two ink colors sharing a halftone then it's not printable.

Lyonscc, I'd be happy to take a look if that's at all helpful. Message me, or post a busy portion of the image here without shrinking it.