+ Add a Comment

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
sayahelmi wrote:yeaah this is my bad made the thumb just with the mosnter face. never thought people gonna think the design is just a paste the monster face into tee.

this one gonna be my experience to make a better thumbnail in the future.

thanks for your opinion and support guys, cheers :D

Just about every derby has a few jokers that make something simple like that, and the thumbnail looks very similar to those.

I know it's a little late for winning on votes, but if you resubmitted this with a thumbnail more representative of your design as a whole I'll bet you get way more votes.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

chachachino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chachachino
Re: Minotauro YZ3

Can I say badass? Nice work! I love how there's a story happening here.

chachachino

Re: KONG

haha pretty clever

fishman396

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fishman396
oakenspirit wrote:I like this a lot but I am confused by how the wrinkled pattern is on both the background AND the hands...

The design appears to allude to the following famous work by M. C. Escher:

Now imagine a piece of paper with this image being mildly wrinkled and then stylized as the artist has done...voila!

chachachino

Re: Finally ,The Monster Showed Up!

tells a story a lot like minotauro. not sure which one i like more! +1
nice work!

chachachino

chachachino wrote:tells a story a lot like minotauro. not sure which one i like more! +1
nice work!

p.s. why doesn't this have more votes? would a more enticing thumbnail do the trick?

chachachino

Re: Western fairytales

i really like the style of these characters! nice colors too. nice work!

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Re: Daydream

So happy your robot made it to the fog before the weekend was even over!

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Re: Minotauro YZ3

Awww damn, this is some seriously dreamy cyberpunky mistwraith original goodness. Hells yes!

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Re: Looking For Love

...in all the wrong places.

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565

Sweet..... GMV !

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
orabbit wrote:Sorry to come of as combative. As a screen printer, it's clear to me that this would be a challenging print. The main issue is that a lot of your spot colors are 15% and below and 85% and above. A 50% halftone would have positive and negative dots or lines of equal size. If using dots, it looks like a checkerboard. When you have really small dota or lines, they overexpose in the screen burning process due to something called light scatter and undercutting. This means that your smooth gradient from 100% to 0% will close up at about 10%, leaving you with a hard posterized edge. And when printing, the fluid nature of ink causes something called dot gain, which means that 85-90% and above will blob up to 100%. Since a lot of your image lives in the fringes, it probably won't print the way you think it will. It would have to be done with more ink colors, getting into the dreaded and misundestood world of "simulated process". Here's a great video series to learn what simulated process really means. There's a real art to color separation, or else there's real expensive software ($800+). There are 10 videos in this series. Here's the first one.

As for outputting halftones from AI, most people use RIP (Raster Image Processing) software ($500+). In Illustrator, you set your spot colors to overprint in the Attributes panel if you want your inks to overlap. Sometimes I'll set an inside stroke to overprint to create trapping, or a slight overlap between colors. Don't forget your registration marks! This is all stuff that is at the discretion of the printer. You set your angles, DPI, and dot shape in the print menu, send it to the RIP program, and Bob's your uncle. It does the rest for you, producing sharp edged halftones, not pixelly ones like you get in the bitmap method in PS. It probably doesn't really matter that much unless you're doing 100+ DPI, like in offset printing or newspapers. I believe Woot just brings AI files into PS to make halftones anyway. And those PS generated halftones end up printing great - something which I had a hard time believing when I first got here.

What does all this mean? Screen printing is complicated. Woot may have rejected this and the other based on technical difficulty. It would be really nice if the Rejectionator would give a little more detail instead of all this conjecture and pictures with circles and arrows on the back of each one.

Thank you! I have not really appreciated the "black magic" associated with the printing end of the business, and all of this discussion has greatly helped me understand that.

Hopefully, I'll hear back from Woot to know for sure what the issue is/was, as well, so that - as you note - we don't have to rely on conjecture.

Thank you again!

flattopfrank

quality posts: 2 Private Messages flattopfrank

deborah11565

Re: Frankguinstein

I would really like this tshirt......odds of about 200 more votes.... ;)

orabbit

Thanks Frank and Deborah, and thanks for the advice on Big Bird.

deborah11565

orabbit wrote:Thanks Frank and Deborah, and thanks for the advice on Big Bird.

You're welcome !

deborah11565

Vote,vote,vote please..... I need this one also ! I am in a cute mood this week !

sayahelmi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sayahelmi
bluetuba wrote:
I know it's a little late for winning on votes, but if you resubmitted this with a thumbnail more representative of your design as a whole I'll bet you get way more votes.

wow thanks for the suggestion blue tuba, maybe i'm gonna resubmit the design with the new thumb :D

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: 2012

Thumbnail doesn't match the comp.

Off topic.

Might want to read the derby theme and faqs to avoid rejection.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

sayahelmi

Re: What The?

resubmit from my first design with a new thumb, so people don't think is just the mosnter face on tee.

thanks for bluetuba and all community who gave me the suggestion to resubmit this with the new thumb.

cheers

bluetuba

Poor little guy, I'll bet she totally ignores him.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

bluetuba

Re: What The?

Yay, I hope more people give this a closer look now. I like it lots. I like the black & white and all the contrast, and the details like the blood dripping down the monsters front and on the man's shoulder.

I think their poses tell the story, the man is kinda standing there perplexed wondering what this stuff dripping on him is and the monster behind him is tense and excited about how he's about to snatch him up.

deboraho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deboraho
bluetuba wrote:Poor little guy, I'll bet she totally ignores him.

lol !

deboraho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deboraho
bluetuba wrote:Yay, I hope more people give this a closer look now. I like it lots. I like the black & white and all the contrast, and the details like the blood dripping down the monsters front and on the man's shoulder.

I think their poses tell the story, the man is kinda standing there perplexed wondering what this stuff dripping on him is and the monster behind him is tense and excited about how he's about to snatch him up.

Damn Bluetuba..... you should write for woot !!

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey

This is one of my favorites that you've done. If it doesn't print on a tshirt, I want it for a Valentine's day card Very nice!

autsey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages autsey
Re: Friends at Sea

Glad to see you back FM

sayahelmi

bluetuba wrote:Yay, I hope more people give this a closer look now. I like it lots. I like the black & white and all the contrast, and the details like the blood dripping down the monsters front and on the man's shoulder.

you got the message man ;D. and thanks a ton for your attention for my design :D

sayahelmi

deboraho wrote:Damn Bluetuba..... you should write for woot !!

aggred

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Chance Encounter

I almost would prefer it without the people, but wow. Big +1 for the colors and the monster.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 214 Private Messages Spiritgreen
Re: Imaginary Fiend

Very nice. :^)

wolfgaidin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wolfgaidin
Re: Rising From the Steam

Awesome design! This should be in the fog! GMV.

wolfgaidin

Re: Am I Evil ??

The design is outside the printable area.

wolfgaidin

Re: He's Watching You (smaller placement)

This is a fun design. :-D +1

orabbit

Re: Robot

I always want to use words like charming and whimsical to describe your stuff. You're the next Jasneko. I'm glad this one is doing well!

orabbit

Spiritgreen wrote:Very nice. :^)

I hope it's not too close to your Cookie Monster Cthulhu. I'm definitely aware of that one.

wolfgaidin

Re: Fire & Ice Resub

I have to agree that the design is off-topic. It's simply a stylized human skull.

If you had designed a clearly alien or monster skull that then was stylized, then it would be on-topic.

flattopfrank

wolfgaidin wrote:The design is outside the printable area.

Actually the original design is 13"x19".... well within their requirements.

flattopfrank

And staying in the hot list. As I said, WINNER !!

deborah11565

bluetuba wrote:Poor little guy, I'll bet she totally ignores him.

That is ok, she is just money hungry !! roflol !!

flattopfrank

deborah11565 wrote:That is ok, she is just money hungry !! roflol !!

Gold digger or rather a quarter digger. She's gonna take him for everything he's worth.