mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

Lot of good stuff this week. I think this might be the most difficult derby to pick so far. I also think it's a week that I'm glad to be going first. Usually I don't worry much that someone else would pick the same one as I have, but I think it's probably true this time.

Not On My Watch by Radscoolian


So much to say about this one really. It integrates into the shirt extremely well and the perspective is really cool. I love how the street curls around the edge of the design. It really helps the 3D effect, and that's not even talking about the superb perspective in the robot and monster. I love the quirky style and the details all over the place, not to mention the colors are fantastic. Super well done.

I'm hoping the guest editor agrees because I'm afraid of the fail that is probably going to win the votes and I see no scenario in which woot doesn't pick this. I can't say I can blame woot on that one though, it's pretty fantastic in style, color, composition, and I'm not sure there is a hotter meme on woot right now than Cthulhu or a hotter meme in reality than Gangnam style. Hell, I almost picked it and I only slightly care about both of those things.

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

When I first realized that I would pick a Robbie Lee robot in a "robot" derby I felt a little bad because it's perhaps the obvious choice and maybe I should give something a little lesser known a chance. But I just wouldn't be able to pass this one up.

C.O.L.O.S.S.U.S. by rglee129



Even setting aside the painting that this is a take on, I just love the shirt design all on it's own. It's dingy and grainy and post apocalyptic looking, the robot is just titanic and I love the panicked chaos of the cars behind him and the heat beam the Colossus is no doubt seconds away from exploding that factory with. Just like with Goya's work of art you can make interpretations about what this shirt means. Is this industry destroying the planet and itself? Technology gone awry? Maybe that thing is just a wild force nature, manifested in a modern form.

I've got lots of shirts with bright colors and eye catching designs, I love this one for it's muted palate and dark mechanical mood.

I miss drakxxx and crescentdebris alot for this derby, but I'm glad Robbie Lee IMO knocked this one out of the park.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

blanked


quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked

Chaos!

I don't think the artist bothered to figure out the whole picture of where the tentacles come from, but I don't think the design suffers from it either. I like the complicated designs, but it is so easy to wind up with a muddy looking piece. The large color blocks help avoid it here (also the almost empty middle).

citizencoyote


quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote

Gah, so many good ones to choose from. I like several in the fog and I think Kevlar's robots are awesome, but if I had to pick one from out of the fog it would be kdeuce's Minotauro YZ3. I love the storytelling vibe it gives off, and the subtle yet effective blend of cyberpunk and classic mythos.


Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

I'm going to buck the trend and go for something cartoony.



The whimsy and colors make this superb collab. The monster is cheery, and the details, like the crocodile clippers and sun are lovely.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:I'm going to buck the trend and go for something cartoony

Don't feel bad, I was going to choose this one for similar reasons (also, it reminds me of Machinarium):


As for Rads' entry. I didn't even notice that it was a city, my mind assumed it looking out of a hole in a spaceship.

mrwednesday wrote:...I'm afraid of the fail that is probably going to win the votes and I see no scenario in which woot doesn't pick this. I can't say I can blame woot on that one though, it's pretty fantastic in style, color, composition, and I'm not sure there is a hotter meme on woot right now than Cthulhu or a hotter meme in reality than Gangnam style. Hell, I almost picked it and I only slightly care about both of those things.

(assuming you aren't being sarcastic here, as it's hard to tell) I wouldn't count those chickens just yet. Woot editors take votes into much heavier consideration than guest editors, and Helgram's entry doesn't have the goods this time through. Also, Gangnam Style is fast on the decline, having crossed over into mainstream a while back.

move along

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
j5 wrote:(assuming you aren't being sarcastic here, as it's hard to tell) I wouldn't count those chickens just yet. Woot editors take votes into much heavier consideration than guest editors, and Helgram's entry doesn't have the goods this time through. Also, Gangnam Style is fast on the decline, having crossed over into mainstream a while back.



No, I wasn't being sarcastic, and though I agree with you that woot would prefer something with a few more votes, I still live by my prediction and here's why. One, do you see anything in the fog that really looks like a guaranteed seller? I think ramy's is a miss. I'd give it 2 weeks in the reckoning just because it's ramy and his fans are lemmings. Patricks would sell, but again I don't know how long it would stick in the reckoning. The Monster Cookie is the only one in the fog that I'd see woot picking.

Which brings me to my second point. Woot picks pop culture. I don't want to go back and count, but I'd wager it's over 75% of their choices. If the Monster Cookie doesn't win that's about the only scenario where I think I could be wrong. Other than that I don't see anything with more votes that's more wooty than R'lyeh Style. There are other pop culture shirts but none of the same quality.

And my third point is who the hell votes anymore? You don't even need 300 to get in the fog anymore and we've had winners with as little as 500 (and I think I remember less at least once). And even when the winner is as high as 700 most of the fog is in the 300-400 range.

I don't know, you could be right and woot will stick in the fog because we all know that votes mean sales (lol), but I at least hope they've gotten smarter than that for their own sakes.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
citizencoyote wrote:Gah, so many good ones to choose from. I like several in the fog and I think Kevlar's robots are awesome, but if I had to pick one from out of the fog it would be kdeuce's Minotauro YZ3. I love the storytelling vibe it gives off, and the subtle yet effective blend of cyberpunk and classic mythos.



This was my personal favorite actually. It doesn't work for me as well as a shirt as the one I picked or C.O.L.O.S.S.U.S. but it's extremely nostalgic for me. However, I can't for the life of me place what it reminds me of, but there was a cartoon or a video game or something that had a very similar style that I loved. I'm just blanking on what it is for whatever reason. It's a very cool design, though, to be sure. Off the top of my head though if I had to guess I'd say it's somewhere between Vagrant Story and Samurai Jack. Another part of me is telling me anime though. Gahhhh.....

kevlar51


quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
mrwednesday wrote:This was my personal favorite actually. It doesn't work for me as well as a shirt as the one I picked or C.O.L.O.S.S.U.S. but it's extremely nostalgic for me. However, I can't for the life of me place what it reminds me of, but there was a cartoon or a video game or something that had a very similar style that I loved. I'm just blanking on what it is for whatever reason. It's a very cool design, though, to be sure. Off the top of my head though if I had to guess I'd say it's somewhere between Vagrant Story and Samurai Jack. Another part of me is telling me anime though. Gahhhh.....



Shadow of the Colossus, mixed with a touch of Too Human and a Dash of Wind Waker.

I think it was really well done. The only crit I'd have is the antlers/horns are so long that it forces the image's focus to be too low on the shirt.

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
mrwednesday wrote:This was my personal favorite actually. It doesn't work for me as well as a shirt as the one I picked or C.O.L.O.S.S.U.S. but it's extremely nostalgic for me. However, I can't for the life of me place what it reminds me of, but there was a cartoon or a video game or something that had a very similar style that I loved. I'm just blanking on what it is for whatever reason. It's a very cool design, though, to be sure. Off the top of my head though if I had to guess I'd say it's somewhere between Vagrant Story and Samurai Jack. Another part of me is telling me anime though. Gahhhh.....



It reminded me of Pan's Labyrinth.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
mrwednesday wrote:Other than that I don't see anything with more votes that's more wooty than R'lyeh Style. There are other pop culture shirts but none of the same quality.


I think Ochopika's Dark and Stormy has a strong shot at EC. TGentry has a soft spot for layered meanings and symbolism. Can't speak for ProfHotpants, as she hardly ever weighs in on design philosophies, save for "how to make a winning shirt"

And my third point is who the hell votes anymore? You don't even need 300 to get in the fog anymore and we've had winners with as little as 500 (and I think I remember less at least once). And even when the winner is as high as 700 most of the fog is in the 300-400 range.

I don't know, you could be right and woot will stick in the fog because we all know that votes mean sales (lol), but I at least hope they've gotten smarter than that for their own sakes.


According to my crystal...report, vote erosion has been a trend since the blank switch-up. The new derby rules haven't done much to correct that, though vote numbers have leveled off. What they have done is intercept the low-vote third place "questionable" design that results from "noise" votes. It will take some time to replenish the voter base to get a decent signal/noise ratio again.

For their own sakes? That which benefits Woot is sales, first and foremost, and the main thing on shirt sales is first-day because of the artist commission and low initial shirt cost. Even that has a low threshold.
If a shirt's margin is $5, then everything after 200 sales is profit. If the margin is only $2, then it takes 500 shirts to break even on the first day. Almost all of the recent derby "experiment" picks surpassed that.

move along

orabbit


quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
j5 wrote:If a shirt's margin is $5, then everything after 200 sales is profit. If the margin is only $2, then it takes 500 shirts to break even on the first day. Almost all of the recent derby "experiment" picks surpassed that.



I'd say the margin is around $5. They're probably getting their blanks for $2.75, with setup costs of $100 - $200 depending on number of colors, and per print costs of $2-$4, again depending on colors. Maybe setup costs double or triple because they run 2-3 print sizes.

Russian Nesting Doll probably cost ~$2000, and brought in $1656. Sorry!

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
orabbit wrote:Russian Nesting Doll probably cost ~$2000, and brought in $1656. Sorry!


Stick it to the man!
LOL

move along

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
j5 wrote:For their own sakes? That which benefits Woot is sales, first and foremost, and the main thing on shirt sales is first-day because of the artist commission and low initial shirt cost. Even that has a low threshold.



That's what I mean. I don't see any of their other picks surpassing it in sales especially with the cookie monster already printing (which I thought it would). I don't see anything else that is likely to be a big seller.

As for Dark and Stormy, it really could have been a good design and it's got some elements there, but it's too much ramy and not enough real design. The head of the Leviathan really kills it for me especially. Why go through all that trouble to make the body and the boat have at least some semblance of perspective and then muck it up by making the head completely flat and out of the plane of the rest of the design?

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
kevlar51 wrote:Shadow of the Colossus, mixed with a touch of Too Human and a Dash of Wind Waker.

I think it was really well done. The only crit I'd have is the antlers/horns are so long that it forces the image's focus to be too low on the shirt.



Mavyn wrote:It reminded me of Pan's Labyrinth.



Yeah, it's really funny what people key off of. It's not Pan's Labyrinth for me and I've never played any of the games kevlar mentioned. I guess that's maybe a testament to the design that it's that reminiscent of so many things. I do kind of like the placement though. I like when shirts use more of the bottom. Like I said last week, I wish more people did interesting things with placement because it can go a long long way.

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
mrwednesday wrote:Yeah, it's really funny what people key off of. It's not Pan's Labyrinth for me and I've never played any of the games kevlar mentioned. I guess that's maybe a testament to the design that it's that reminiscent of so many things. I do kind of like the placement though. I like when shirts use more of the bottom. Like I said last week, I wish more people did interesting things with placement because it can go a long long way.



I'm the same, it's really very Samurai Jack to me. The style is very similar, you've got a guy with a sword and a big monster that mixes fantasy with sci-fi.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
j5 wrote:If a shirt's margin is $5, then everything after 200 sales is profit. If the margin is only $2, then it takes 500 shirts to break even on the first day. Almost all of the recent derby "experiment" picks surpassed that.

Based on some admittedly shaky data, Narfcake and I figured that a shirt needs to sell about 1000 copies on the first day to cover its full costs, including shipping and proportional percentage of salary and benefits for the three shirt.woot staffers, the print manager, printers, packers, etc., in addition to the costs that orabbit mentioned.

I suspect that the greatest profit margins are in the Woot Plus sales right now: designs on an A contract already have commission paid and templates made; designs on a C contract don't carry up-front commission; and printing after all orders are completed allows for a very small margin of error/loss due to unsold goods. I also suspect that hoodies have a higher profit margin per item than short-sleeve shirts.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

*sigh*

Really Tgentry? Another "thing in a pocket" shirt is worth printing over all the awesome stuff submitted this week?

I think I want a divorce.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

orabbit


quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
bluetuba wrote:*sigh*

Really Tgentry? Another "thing in a pocket" shirt is worth printing over all the awesome stuff submitted this week?

I think I want a divorce.



I feel you, but I went with "If you can't say anything nice..."

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Also, how is it "guest editor" when it's one of the editors? Did they forget to ask someone in time?
For the "thing in the pocket" pick, I'm guessing it was chosen for the "sequel" aspect and marketing possibilities thereof.
Look for a "thing in the pocket" side sale coming soon?

move along

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

I'm OK with the guest editor being a woot employee, ADQ had a print a few weeks ago.

Woot editor's picks at 2nd place has so far been mostly high vote total, pop culture loving, high sales potential selections and 3rd place guest editor has been more completely at the whim and taste of that person.

What annoys me about this week is that it went 1-3-2 in the vote totals, all cute stuff. Don't get me wrong, I think Monster Cookie is a winner even if it's not my style, I don't have a problem with that one printing, but I would have really liked to have seen one of the more original, impressive, just plain cool designs get at least 1 spot here.

Tgentry used his pick in the same way that Woot has picking 2nd place and this week it's at the expense of all the other interesting designs that were submitted. Costume as Shirt theme sucks so this was the closest we were going to get to a Halloween derby apparently. Halloween being my favorite time of year, I'm feeling a little miffed.

If they want to do a "things in pocket shirt" side sale, that's great. I mean they've got the Ramyb side sale this week so it can't get any crappier than that. But they could have EASILY included monster in a pocket in that side sale without using a precious derby pick. There is plenty of precedence of them printing old derby designs in those side sales.

*rabble rabble rabble*

I'm being cranky in here BTW because I don't really feel like taking a dump in the shirt's post (and probably just being modded) because I like Jewelwing and just because I think THAT shirt was l@me doesn't mean I think she's l@me.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

HAH! And you know, looking back at JW's "robot in a pocket" design a couple years ago I was pissy about that one winning a robot derby too.

It won 3rd just ahead of my 3 favorite artists, another fabulous Robbie Lee a gloomy Boots and a Drak/CD

THING IN A SHIRT POCKET SHIRT CLICHE WHY DO YOU TORMENT ME SO!!?

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
j5 wrote:Also, how is it "guest editor" when it's one of the editors? Did they forget to ask someone in time?


That left me scratching my head too. As I understand, the 'Editor's Choice' is a decision made by multiple shirt staffers whereas 'Guest Editor' would be strictly one individual's choice.

bluetuba wrote:... THING IN A SHIRT POCKET SHIRT CLICHE WHY DO YOU TORMENT ME SO!!?


I'm guessing it's the mass appeal aspect? That's my guess, at least.

I've never been fond of it myself, even though I incidentally ended up with a copy of Marsupial. I intend to trade it out, even though past experience says that his designs will come back even faster every time I get rid of any!

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
j5 wrote:Also, how is it "guest editor" when it's one of the editors? Did they forget to ask someone in time?

I'm wondering if someone flaked on them/became ill/experienced a family emergency - I find that far more likely than that shirt.staff forgot to find a guest editor. If so, the choice of the second-place shirt as the third print makes sense; it's essentially like punting the decision back to the voters: community as "guest editor." This is the first time that the top-three-by-vote have printed since the experience began, yes? I'll be curious to see how sales for these three shirts compare to previous weeks of vote winner-EC/GEC. (It also occurred to me that tgentry might have deliberately chosen a red shirt; before Russian Nesting Doll and half of Pick Your Politic, the last shirt on red was Which Way to Bacon Town - and before that, Settler Cats. Both sold well and I suspect there might be some red blanks sitting around.)

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
neuropsychosocial wrote:I'm wondering if someone flaked on them/became ill/experienced a family emergency - I find that far more likely than that shirt.staff forgot to find a guest editor.



I'd say the exact opposite. Unless someone had to take an emergency trip to the bottom of the ocean there really aren't that many places left where you can't get internet. Not to mention it takes less than an hour to go through all the shirts and pick one. It's really not something I can imagine even could be impossible for someone to complete under any circumstances. I could see someone not wanting to maybe if there was a death, but the confluence of those two things is highly unlikely. Much much much more likely they forgot to ask someone, or that tgentry actually was the chosen guest editor as awkward as that sounds.

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
mrwednesday wrote:I'd say the exact opposite. Unless someone had to take an emergency trip to the bottom of the ocean there really aren't that many places left where you can't get internet. Not to mention it takes less than an hour to go through all the shirts and pick one. It's really not something I can imagine even could be impossible for someone to complete under any circumstances. I could see someone not wanting to maybe if there was a death, but the confluence of those two things is highly unlikely. Much much much more likely they forgot to ask someone, or that tgentry actually was the chosen guest editor as awkward as that sounds.

When I posted "illness or family emergency," I wasn't thinking about internet availability; I was thinking about acute illness, as well as human emotion and reactions. One of my friends is 38.5 weeks pregnant and currently driving 12 hours with an 18 month old because her father had a severe heart attack this morning. Could she find internet access? Probably. Is picking a design a priority in her life right now? Does she have an hour today that she could devote to picking a design? Would she have remembered to email tgentry to tell him that she couldn't do it with enough time that he could contact someone else?

Both in my own life, and based on what I've heard from clients in times of serious illness and emergency, spending an hour picking a design is not a priority when one's child is in the hospital, one's parent is dying, one has appendicitis or gets into a car accident and spends the day in the ER.

Of course, it's possible that something else went wrong - I have no idea - but I can imagine many scenarios in which picking a design between Wednesday and Thursday would be difficult or impossible.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

bluetuba


quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
neuropsychosocial wrote:When I posted "illness or family emergency," I wasn't thinking about internet availability; I was thinking about acute illness, as well as human emotion and reactions. One of my friends is 38.5 weeks pregnant and currently driving 12 hours with an 18 month old because her father had a severe heart attack this morning. Could she find internet access? Probably. Is picking a design a priority in her life right now? Does she have an hour today that she could devote to picking a design? Would she have remembered to email tgentry to tell him that she couldn't do it with enough time that he could contact someone else?

Both in my own life, and based on what I've heard from clients in times of serious illness and emergency, spending an hour picking a design is not a priority when one's child is in the hospital, one's parent is dying, one has appendicitis or gets into a car accident and spends the day in the ER.

Of course, it's possible that something else went wrong - I have no idea - but I can imagine many scenarios in which picking a design between Wednesday and Thursday would be difficult or impossible.



I think it's far more likely they just picked Travis on purpose.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."