WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Would you ever get a Shirt.Woot design as a tattoo?
  • 1.2% - Would I? I already did! (Pics please) 15
  • 8% - I’ve thought about it, but I’m too much of a wimp to get a tattoo. 101
  • 23% - I’ve thought about it, but nothing speaks to me strongly enough. 290
  • 48% - No way, I don’t want tattoos. 604
  • 19.8% - No way, I don’t want a Shirt design tattoo. 249
1259 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

Everyone should check out alltimegringa's Artichokey tattoo.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

rasabi


quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

Someone asked me if they could get a star powered tattoo. I fired off a few overly ponderous paragraphs exploring the philosophical implications of having an under your shirt optical illusion on your skin.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

I got a tattoo designed by an (ex) shirt woot artist. I'd say that counts for half credit.

charlottesumxs


quality posts: 2 Private Messages charlottesumxs

There is one t-shirt I have where I'd like to get part of the design tattooed on my arm, but I can't remember if it's a Woot shirt.

KSPYKayte


quality posts: 2 Private Messages KSPYKayte

I have the imagination taking flight (book ripping open and turning into birds) tattooed on my side.

ambergreen


quality posts: 11 Private Messages ambergreen

I'm too much of a wimp to ever get a tattoo...and I'd hate to imagine what it would look like when I'm an old, wrinkly lady. Assuming I live long enough to wrinkle.

But, I doubt a shirt design would make it. Though I still have JadenKale's Trinity Knot, Crown of thorns, Holly design as my desktop background on my work system. I love that design.

ochopika


quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

I would if the design really meant something to me. I think it would be more awesome to have a woot artist design a tattoo 'specially for me.

ambergreen wrote:I'm too much of a wimp to ever get a tattoo...and I'd hate to imagine what it would look like when I'm an old, wrinkly lady. Assuming I live long enough to wrinkle.

But, I doubt a shirt design would make it. Though I still have JadenKale's Trinity Knot, Crown of thorns, Holly design as my desktop background on my work system. I love that design.



I was on an airplane when an older lady walked by my seat. She looked at my tattoo and said "That's gonna look pretty funny when you get old, hah!"...because apparently it's socially acceptable to mock random people whenever you want. I replied "It's ok, I'm sure my whole body will look pretty funny when I'm old."

So yea, get all the tattoos you want before you get too wrinkly, lol.

zXzGrifterzXz


quality posts: 0 Private Messages zXzGrifterzXz
mrwednesday wrote:I got a tattoo designed by an (ex) shirt woot artist. I'd say that counts for half credit.



Same here, I got my "ZS" tattoo from Jamie Toon after ZombieCon-2006 when he was an apprentice tattoo artist over at CheapTrx. So I agree that should count for half points at least.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
zXzGrifterzXz wrote:Same here, I got my "ZS" tattoo from Jamie Toon after ZombieCon-2006 when he was an apprentice tattoo artist over at CheapTrx. So I agree that should count for half points at least.

If you got one from Jason Toon, I'd give you full marks.

move along

Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
ochopika wrote:
I was on an airplane when an older lady walked by my seat. She looked at my tattoo and said "That's gonna look pretty funny when you get old, hah!"...because apparently it's socially acceptable to mock random people whenever you want. I replied "It's ok, I'm sure my whole body will look pretty funny when I'm old."

So yea, get all the tattoos you want before you get too wrinkly, lol.



I don't have any ink, but several friends do, and all have commented how rude others are about it. People coming up and MOVING CLOTHING to be able to see a tattoo?!? Gah...I thought it was bad having everyone comment on my height. Pretty sure someone would get punched if they touched me without permission.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Mavyn wrote:I don't have any ink, but several friends do, and all have commented how rude others are about it. People coming up and MOVING CLOTHING to be able to see a tattoo?!? Gah...I thought it was bad having everyone comment on my height. Pretty sure someone would get punched if they touched me without permission.



Unfortunately, I think there's a fair amount of sexism as far as that goes. I can't say for sure because none of my tattoos are visible with normal clothes on just as a precaution for future job, but when I do have them exposed I've never experienced any rudeness nor do I see rudeness with other guys with tattoos. People seem to think they can take more liberties with girls.

JenDupre


quality posts: 19 Private Messages JenDupre

Someone got "Fat Unicorn" a tattoo. Very cool!

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
mrwednesday wrote:Unfortunately, I think there's a fair amount of sexism as far as that goes. I can't say for sure because none of my tattoos are visible with normal clothes on just as a precaution for future job, but when I do have them exposed I've never experienced any rudeness nor do I see rudeness with other guys with tattoos. People seem to think they can take more liberties with girls.

I agree with you, and I think that sexism may also play a role in folks' judgment of women with tattoos: it's something that a "nice girl" wouldn't do.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

mandiem


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mandiem

I have seriously considered this design as a tattoo. I think I still am. Miss Monster is awesome.

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/phoenix-rising

childeh


quality posts: 0 Private Messages childeh

I already have tattoos, but hey... shirt designs look best on, well, shirts. There are pretty damn awesome ones, but still - I'd rather keep buying them on shirts!

kevlar51


quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51

I'm personally not in this camp, but I do know other artists who would not be happy if someone got a tattoo of their work without permission. The rationale is artists get paid for tattoo design, so they should too.

I'm personally fine with it, but keep in mind not all feel the same way.

kluhhbbykaykez


quality posts: 0 Private Messages kluhhbbykaykez

totally missed the choice "i picked it out already! but im broke from all my woot purchase"

Narfcake


quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake

I wouldn't, but I respect folks who do get tattoos/piercings as their personal preference to express themselves.

That said ...

Nanonauts tattoo
Ten Questions: About Ink

@Gatzby's most recent tattoo reminds me of Retrobot too.

There have been others, I know; some RamyB designs come to mind.

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Were I to ever get a shirt.woot tattoo, I would want it to be VonMonkey's The Awakening, my favorite shirt.woot shirt ever. Except I recognize that, after a few years, it'd bleed and blend and fade into a hot black mess. And I have seriously considered a bunch of edgar designs for tats. But I wouldn't and won't ever actually do it. I feel like it would be a sort of blasphemy to attach his art to my flesh. But ohmaigawds is it tempting. Soooo... never a shirt.woot tat for me will there be.

Though, sometimes? In my drunker moments? I am tickled and tempted by the idea of a One Cheer for Broccoli on my left bum cheek. Or shoulder. Whichever.

Narfcake


quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
goldenthorn wrote:Though, sometimes? In my drunker moments? I am tickled and tempted by the idea of a One Cheer for Broccoli on my left bum cheek. Or shoulder. Whichever.


Egads! - that's some crazy talk right there! I mean, I guess there's some historic value in the first 'lifted' shirt.woot design ... but WHY?!

bluetuba


quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba

If I had to get a shirt.woot tattoo on my butt, I think I'd choose this one

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Narfcake wrote:Egads! - that's some crazy talk right there! I mean, I guess there's some historic value in the first 'lifted' shirt.woot design ... but WHY?!



There's no logic to it! It's just somehow a credible (cromulent) idea when considered in an inebriated state of mind. It's so terrible that it becomes good? And, well... over the years... when taking its history into consideration... and thinking about it as a sort of shallow, amusing meta-commentary on existence and symbolism and commercialism and the world and my life... I've come around to thinking the design is... really cute.

No worries, though. It'll never happen. Drunken Tetbrain, harken: IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

bluetuba wrote:If I had to get a shirt.woot tattoo on my butt, I think I'd choose this one



Yeah, that one's for the right butt cheek. I got dem bases covered.

mrwednesday


quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
A good tattoo does two things at once. First, it marks you as an individual. And second, it tells some story about who you are, or were at the time it was drawn. Tattoos are with you for life, so it's important that they aren't just impulse items. The best tattoos put what's inside your heart on the outside of your skin.



Ironic that I took this from the 10 questions about ink post, but I think it's exactly why I would probably never get a tattoo from a shirt design. Many of the tattoos I plan to get are inspired by literature or other stories that have some meaning to me, and that is important. It is extremely unlikely that a shirt design could connect that way on anything but a completely superficial level. I suppose it's possible, but not likely for me I don't think.

linksdeity


quality posts: 22 Private Messages linksdeity

There have been some really great designs, but none I would really think of as being a tattoo...
As for graphics and decals for a ton of other purposes, I would absolutely love to see more posters, bags, and all that other fun stuff you guys have been doing lately. And please please bring back One Flew Out Of The Cuckoo Clock! It is one of my all time favorite designs, and mine got a bleach stain!! ;D

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/one-flew-out-of-the-cuckoo-clock




neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
kevlar51 wrote:I'm personally not in this camp, but I do know other artists who would not be happy if someone got a tattoo of their work without permission. The rationale is artists get paid for tattoo design, so they should too.

I'm personally fine with it, but keep in mind not all feel the same way.

Kevin makes an excellent point. To (slightly) play devil's advocate and since we're talking about shirt.woot designs: shirt.woot owns the lifetime rights to nearly every design ever printed here. Could an artist legally give someone permission to get a tattoo of a shirt.woot design? Would the artist get in trouble for accepting payment from a shirt.wooter who wanted a tattoo of an artist's design?

mrwednesday wrote:Ironic that I took this from the 10 questions about ink post, but I think it's exactly why I would probably never get a tattoo from a shirt design. Many of the tattoos I plan to get are inspired by literature or other stories that have some meaning to me, and that is important. It is extremely unlikely that a shirt design could connect that way on anything but a completely superficial level. I suppose it's possible, but not likely for me I don't think.

That's a good thing to know about oneself, but as you noted, it's possible that someone else would connect with a shirt design on a meaningful level.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)