memalory

quality posts: 0 Private Messages memalory

So, I finally braved the Anvil tee world of shirtwoot! and the tees themselves, though not as amazingly soft as the AA tees, they are not so bad and fit fine HOWEVER.......the ink used for the designs SMELLS AWFUL!

I have quite a few WOOT! tees all of the AA type and none of them EVER smelled weird or chemically. So what is up with the horrid, toxic chemical smell of the ink being used on the Anvil tees?

Is it a different ink than was used w/the AA tees? I honestly do not know if I'll be ordering any more shirts from WOOT if they all smell like this now. And it is the ink as I ordered three tees and the ones w/larger designs (in other words more ink on them) smell waaaaaaay worse. Neither myself or any of my family can wear the tees with such toxic smells. It is headache inducing. Which makes me really, really sad as we all so enjoy wearing our shirts from shirtWOOT!

So, if by chance there has been a change in the printing process that can be remedied to get rid of the toxic, headache inducing chemical smell of the ink then PLEASE DO SOMETHING, we beg of you!

Thank you!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 545 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

What you're smelling is probably either the adhesive used to hold the shirts to the platen for screen printing or the fix used on the shirts so the ink adheres to the shirts. It's very possible that we've changed one or the other since your last order.

The smells will wash out in the laundry.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked

I have the same issue with chemicals in general. i could almost wear the AAs without a wash, but not really. The anvils do smells stronger but I blame the fabric not the ink, it might also be what ever is in the fabric mixing with the ink (I smell a version of adhesive, while it is stronger it is the chemical on the fabric that triggers the reaction)

But as said a wash will take care of it.

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake

Seeing how I recently bought some AA long sleeve shirts, I also don't believe it's just the ink or the adhesive. I commented about the smell when they sent me the "wrong" Shhhhhhh way back too; it was also present with the "wrong" Nevermore.

A wash does take care of it.

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit

Is it a plasticy, waxy, crayony smell? That's plastisol ink. Some brands have a stronger smell than others. Is it a fumy, solventy smell? That's adhesive or spot cleaner. Sometimes 50/50 blends can have a strong smell when heated, but beyond that, the only smell the shirt itself might have is a sort of vinegary smell.

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
orabbit wrote:Is it a plasticy, waxy, crayony smell? That's plastisol ink. Some brands have a stronger smell than others. Is it a fumy, solventy smell? That's adhesive or spot cleaner. ...

IIRC, it was more a solvent/chemical smell, but that it has been much more pronounced on the Anvil shirts that was not present with the hundreds of AA shirts I've bought.

Possible reaction to the dyes used? I'm not sure.