neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

Quite a few members of our shirt.woot family are in the path of Hurricane Sandy - off the top of my head, SeedUvPain and Nathan Pyle are in New York City; Kevin (kevlar51) and Wences (walmazan) are in D.C., and David (Droidloot), Naheed (fishbiscuit5), and Audrey (Ochopika) are all directly in the path of the storm, as are many, many others.

Thoughts are with you all: may you and yours be safe, may your t-shirts and your basements stay dry, and may you enjoy the ice cream before it melts!

Please check in when you're able!

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51

Thanks Neuro

We're doing OK here. We still have power, but the neighbors 6 doors down and beyond don't.

I've spent the last few hours installing a rudimentary funnel system to prevent a nasty leak from destroying our breaker box. Seems to have done the trick, but I'll be getting up a few times tonight to empty a bucket. It's worth it, considering the alternative.

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit

Jessisima (in NYC) and I (in upstate NY) were trying to finish up a collaboration for a Threadless contest ending at midnight. First my power went out for several hours, and now her power is out. But we got it done somehow. I've got a few leaks in the roof, but I'm sure others have it much worse! I hope all are safe.

bluejester

quality posts: 557 Private Messages bluejester

I second this. When you guys can, let us know how the fight is going. Hope you guys are all doing well, and keep that bucket a-movin' Kevlar.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

A few trees down, power is out at home but not at work (surprise!). No serious damage, just the discovery that the siphon break on the return for the reef tank...didn't. Wups.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika

We are just fine in Maine. We didn't get it as bad as folks further south. There were 60mph gusts of wind all night. It knocked off some branches around town. My plastic garden gnome was strangely still standing this morning.
Many people have lost power, but no serious damage as far as I know. I still have the lights on here. Haven't heard from my family in DC or Baltimore area yet, but they're probably just without power.

Thank you, neuro, for caring about your fellow wooters! *hug*

@mavyn: haha that's always how it goes... you still have to go to work but you can't relax in front of the t.v when you get home.

Mavyn

ochopika wrote:

@mavyn: haha that's always how it goes... you still have to go to work but you can't relax in front of the t.v when you get home.

There aren't many people here. Mostly people complaining about not having power at home.

Just heard a guy tell a girl she should buy a generator, and all she had to do was run it and plug it in to any wall outlet and it would power her entire house.

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
Mavyn wrote:
Just heard a guy tell a girl she should buy a generator, and all she had to do was run it and plug it in to any wall outlet and it would power her entire house.

Bahahaha! Genius.

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
ochopika wrote:Bahahaha! Genius.

Dangerous too. It's possible to do such safely (proper gauge cables, mains switched off, homemade male-male cord hooked up in the right order), but alas, I fear that partial information was more dangerous than no information.

BootsBoots and EndangeredOmega - you two okay?

Mavyn

The girl decided to google it, and a helpful youtube video convinced her that calling an electrician to set it up might be a better option.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

So glad that people seem to be doing okay! When I posted last night, the most recent forecast that I'd seen suggested that the hurricane would shift right and head across Maine, but it looks like it went northwest, right over orabbit (how are you doing?) and towards Allison!

Kevin, how has the bucket brigade worked out?
Mavyn, glad to hear you're okay; sorry you didn't get a day off out of this!
Ocho, I have a mental image of your gnome standing guard against Sandy's winds, determined to protect the garden no matter what! *hugs* to you as well.

How is everyone else?

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

The winds were pretty scary. We lost shingles and siding and a few big branches. No power since Monday which is getting frustrating but nobody was injured so we are grateful. Today is our third day off from school due to the storm. Going to find a Starbucks with wifi and do some online catching up, my cell service is sporadic and unreliable. Really appreciate the concern from our woot family!

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit

FB5 - I'm sorry you got hit so hard. That's not a fun situation. Last year during Irene, we had rain coming in all over the house, and lost power for 3 or 4 days. We were all braced for more of the same this time, but thankfully we were spared. The kids are back to school today, and we're going trick-or-treating tonight. I hope others can get back to normal soon!

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51
neuropsychosocial wrote:
Kevin, how has the bucket brigade worked out?

Bucket worked fine--only had to empty it twice. We successfully stopped the leak at its source with a tarp held down by pumpkins and jack o' lanterns. Now we need to work on a more permanent fix.

We were pretty fortunate. Hope those worse off can find a way back to normal soon.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 8 Private Messages cdrewlow

It's good to hear everyone is okay. I don't envy your clean up. Duluth still has streets closed and parking lots tore up from the flood that hit us in June. I image it's going to be much worse repairing things in fall/winter.

Josephus

quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus

Here in the DC suburbs of Maryland, we are feeling the luck. looking at the power outage map, I had power outages to the west for several miles, and power outages to the east for several miles, with an opening between about the width of my house. Haven't checked today, though, but my impression is that most of those are cleared up. Watching the storm come in for several hours before it finally clobbered New Jersey, each new location for the storm changed the route; relatively many of those had routes right over us, before the last couple swung it north. we were incredibly lucky here, as everyone certainly appreciates, seeing the devastation to our north. I hope that all of y'all are making your best recovery, and that everyone else goes a little bit out of their way to do what they can.

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

Where I am in Dutchess County didn't get hit too bad, some power outages that were restored quickly. We missed the bulk of the storm being in Myrtle Beach until Tuesday morning, and arriving Tuesday night. Looks like my house never lost power. A few trees down here and there, and ironically the table, and the kids bike in my front yard didn't move an inch, however some totes blew into my backyard, and my recycle bin flew to the end of our dead-end street! However, 45 minutes away where I work in Pawling has no power, no water and no idea when any of it is coming back. I was at work for all of 2 and a half hours before I decided it was pointless to be there and came home.

However, I have two friends in NYC, one in Flushing and one in Brooklyn I'm sure aren't happy about the transit situation, and I've heard from both of them recently, so I'm glad they are safe

Good luck and well wishes for all those more affected than I.