WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Birthplace of Democracy. Womb of Philosophy. Current Epicenter of a European Debt Crisis. Greece is known to us by many names, and this week we want to celebrate all things Greek. Give us your best designs celebrating the culture, the architecture, the history, and of course the saganaki.

• No pop culture riffs. Keep it original.
  • No text. None. Nada.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Greek mythology plz, also awesome Greek food. Does Walmazan have a gyros recipie maybe? ;)

globalbee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages globalbee

Does Greek Mythology count?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
bluetuba wrote:Greek mythology plz, also awesome Greek food. Does Walmazan have a gyros recipie maybe? ;)

I AM STARVING!!!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
bluetuba wrote:Does Walmazan have a gyros recipie maybe? ;)

No, but I do.

move along

bluetuba

globalbee wrote:Does Greek Mythology count?

It's greek culture and history so it's fine as long as you aren't drawing Liam Neeson as Zeus or Disney's version of Heracles or something

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

I don't think the "no pop culture" rule will stop the numerous "Release the Kraken" and "This is Sparta!" designs that we're bound to see.

raygunnoey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raygunnoey

I was already excited for this derby from just reading the guidelines, but upon reading this thread I've added hungry to the mix.

j5

globalbee wrote:Does Greek Mythology count?

I don't think we'll see anything but.

move along

scrabblefish

quality posts: 11 Private Messages scrabblefish

So is the Greek alphabet symbol or text? Or just taboo and don't go there?!

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

I'm going with Greek Yogurts...I just love them! I made a design with a greek yogurt one year ago but instead of reusing it I think I'm gonna make it again from the beginning!XD

trekmiss

quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss
scrabblefish wrote:So is the Greek alphabet symbol or text? Or just taboo and don't go there?!

The no text rule covers all languages.

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
wirdou wrote:I'm going with Greek Yogurts...I just love them! I made a design with a greek yogurt one year ago but instead of reusing it I think I'm gonna make it again from the beginning!XD

Hrrrmmm. I was thinking up a yogurt idea too. I don't want to step on your toes.

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow

Interesting.... the flag of Greece is blue and white and woot is all out of kid-sized royal blue shirts. Wonder if that will have any effect on the designs presented?? Not that anyone would just do a flag design, but I would suspect artists will stay away from a color that can so adversely affect their sales.

07/11/14

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

Hooray. I've been reworking my Persephone design from the spring derby. This is a good excuse to finish I guess:
I've still got a little ways to go, but I'm open to opinions before I work on it a little later today...

j5

no1 wrote:

Maybe qwertyuiop can do a
Pand
ora
design?

move along

bluetuba

rasabi wrote:Hooray. I've been reworking my Persephone design from the spring derby. This is a good excuse to finish I guess:
I've still got a little ways to go, but I'm open to opinions before I work on it a little later today...

I dunno about cute puppy Cerberus, but otherwise LOVE

orabbit

bluetuba wrote:I dunno about cute puppy Cerberus, but otherwise LOVE

Yeah, the style of both characters doesn't quit mesh with the amazing background, but that could also be because they're not finished yet.

j5

orabbit wrote:Yeah, the style of both characters doesn't quit mesh with the amazing background, but that could also be because they're not finished yet.

I think that's the intent. Juxtaposition and contrast of the innocent girl/pups over the despair of the underworld, further driven home by the sketchy silhouette of one and the elaborate detail of the other.

move along

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
j5 wrote:Maybe qwertyuiop can do a
Pand
ora
design?

O.O

That's a hilarious mental picture... "don't open pandaora's box!" "oh nooooes the pandas! So... many...pandas..."

oh, I may rework this design:

I had a few people suggest that the cat be a tuna instead. I was defensive against the idea at the time, but now I think it would add some nice subtlety to the joke. What do yous guys think? Should I rework this into a "trojan tuna", or do something completely different?

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
ochopika wrote:O.O

That's a hilarious mental picture... "don't open pandaora's box!" "oh nooooes the pandas! So... many...pandas..."

DOOO EEEEEET

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
ochopika wrote:oh, I may rework this design:

I had a few people suggest that the cat be a tuna instead. I was defensive against the idea at the time, but now I think it would add some nice subtlety to the joke. What do yous guys think? Should I rework this into a "trojan tuna", or do something completely different?

imo, it loses some of the clarity of the connexion to the trojan horse idear if you don't use a quadruped. otoh it does make more sense if it's something the cat would want.

j5

no1 wrote:otoh it does make more sense if it's something the cat would want.

like a great ball of yarn, perhaps?

move along

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

j5 wrote:like a great ball of yarn, perhaps?

or a corn cob!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

mailmanmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mailmanmo
j5 wrote:I think that's the intent. Juxtaposition and contrast of the innocent girl/pups over the despair of the underworld, further driven home by the sketchy silhouette of one and the elaborate detail of the other.

Yep totes agree with this, the characters are really what makes this that something special. Can't wait to see it finished.

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou
orabbit wrote:Hrrrmmm. I was thinking up a yogurt idea too. I don't want to step on your toes.

I have no problem with that ;) We can both bring the awesomeness of yogurts to the woot community

Ochopika that design is great, I can't wait to see the rework!:D

orabbit

Is this funny? It's a gyroscope.

This is a real rough version - I just photoshopped a gyroscpe pic on there to get the point across. The perspective's all off, but I wanted to see if the joke is solid and if people are squeamish about wearing a big hunk of pork.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
orabbit wrote:Is this funny? It's a gyroscope.

This is a real rough version - I just photoshopped a gyroscpe pic on there to get the point across. The perspective's all off, but I wanted to see if the joke is solid and if people are squeamish about wearing a big hunk of pork.

Funny, but not my style.

And gyro = lamb.;) Or a lamb-beef mix, but I have never seen pig used.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

lyonscc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc

How about this?

rglee129

quality posts: 27 Private Messages rglee129

Small gods farther apart? Larger gods closer in? Thanks for your advice!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit
bluetuba wrote:I dunno about cute puppy Cerberus, but otherwise LOVE

Very Neil Gaiman... ;)

oakenspirit

orabbit wrote:Is this funny? It's a gyroscope.

Orab... This is so surreal.... Not sure I'd wear it but I find it hilarious.

bluetuba

j5 wrote:I think that's the intent. Juxtaposition and contrast of the innocent girl/pups over the despair of the underworld, further driven home by the sketchy silhouette of one and the elaborate detail of the other.

I had also assumed the two characters were unfinished, I wouldn't like them as-is.

And if Cerberus is a puppy because Persephone is a child then I don't like that either, heh I think trapping a beautiful woman in the underworld should be innocence enough.

The gods lusted after Persephone and Hades abducted her to be his wife. Kinda icky if she's portrayed as a child IMO.

oakenspirit

rglee129 wrote:Small gods farther apart? Larger gods closer in? Thanks for your advice!

Thats wild man... so Japanese woodcuty... I THINK I like the far away version better as its more interesting on a shirt but it's a really tough call,,, If it were a poster I'd buy the closeup.

bluetuba

rglee129 wrote:Small gods farther apart? Larger gods closer in? Thanks for your advice!

Wow, that is really cool. I like the smaller gods farther apart version it really gives it a sense of action and speed on those lightning bolts.

Poseidon throwing fish and a squid at Zeus after missing with the trident is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. AWESOME!

xpenguin

quality posts: 6 Private Messages xpenguin

< IS GREEK.

+5 to anyone who incorporates Greece + Penguins too.

Looking forward to this one!

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Curse you. I had an idea that was soooooooooooo similar to this. I mean, seriously, it was Zeus vs Poseidon, with the two of them positioned identically. But you've pulled it off so much better than I would have. Well, with my idea already outdone, I'll be sitting this one out.

Also, I like the smaller/further apart version.

rglee129

quality posts: 27 Private Messages rglee129
tjschaeffer wrote:Curse you. I had an idea that was soooooooooooo similar to this. I mean, seriously, it was Zeus vs Poseidon, with the two of them positioned identically. But you've pulled it off so much better than I would have. Well, with my idea already outdone, I'll be sitting this one out.

Also, I like the smaller/further apart version.

@Bluetuba, @Oakenspirit. Glad you like it. Thanks for the advice on small and far. I'm torn because I think one looks better, but the other (smaller) looks better on a tee. I think.

@TJ Sorry to hear our great minds thought alike. I have a feeling there will be other Zeus vs Poseidon tees, though... Thanks for the kind words and input.

lonelypond

quality posts: 409 Private Messages lonelypond
rglee129 wrote:@Bluetuba, @Oakenspirit. Glad you like it. Thanks for the advice on small and far. I'm torn because I think one looks better, but the other (smaller) looks better on a tee. I think.

yes, like the larger but think you might be right...hmmm, mockups only take you so far sometimes. I'm sometimes surprised at how well a more dominant design actually looks on a shirt.