Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Thanks everyone! Hope you enjoy the shirt!

@jonas, I did consider that (I majored in art and science!) but as the quadratic formula is often represented without an "x=" and adding another owl would have made the design smaller, I decided this was the better way to go.

jonas111

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jonas111

I can appreciate you wanting to keep the image large. Sorry for falsely accusing you of syntax negligence.

That said I still feel like it fails to be an algebraic equation without an <, > or =. Does that become Artistic differences?

I would still love to see owl matrices.

Congrats on the shirt.

schalkrm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages schalkrm
xyon wrote:Love the idea, art and general design, but on a t-shirt using just the feather pattern for variable distinction is way too subtle. Seen in passing anyone who gets the reference is going to be as confused as those above by the apparent inconsistency, which is only explained away by me telling them to get a couple inches away from my chest and look closely.

Something immediately noticeable (same eyes, nose, etc) in addition would've helped. As it is, although it's otherwise well done I think I'm going to pass this time.

I think you are missing out on the greatness of the design. Immediately the observer draws in closer to determine what is different about the owls. When he doesn't see it he might ask, why aren't the owls different. Having been told to look closer they do appear different and the observer replies with an "Ahhhhhhh". The best designs are the ones that cause discussions just like the one we're having. Great shirt, great design!

annag

quality posts: 1 Private Messages annag

Dude, just subtle enough to wear while proctoring an exam... It *is* written on the ceiling, anyhow.

philmontalbano

quality posts: 0 Private Messages philmontalbano

Can I buy 2 different sizes and get them on the same order? I'd like to pay for shipping just once.

Nevermind. Figured it out.

freddie437

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freddie437

Why are all the math designs I want on Olive? I hate olive. But I love this design! Arg, I'm so torn.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma

:-)

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma

schalkrm wrote:I think you are missing out on the greatness of the design. Immediately the observer draws in closer to determine what is different about the owls. When he doesn't see it he might ask, why aren't the owls different. Having been told to look closer they do appear different and the observer replies with an "Ahhhhhhh". The best designs are the ones that cause discussions just like the one we're having. Great shirt, great design!

You are a wonderful person.

jmm4128

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmm4128
rbgreshes wrote:Anybody ever buy Woot shirts? Is the sizing for women pretty accurate? Do they run big, small?

I purchased a couple women's shirts over the summer and found that they are pretty true-to-size for what I typically wear. Maybe a little big, but definitely do not run small. I have a large chest and typically have problems with shirts being too tight - but not a problem with these at all. For the person who said they typically wear a small but have to get a medium or a large from here - that seems very odd to me.

jmm4128

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmm4128
Spiritgreen wrote:Thanks everyone! Hope you enjoy the shirt!

@jonas, I did consider that (I majored in art and science!) but as the quadratic formula is often represented without an "x=" and adding another owl would have made the design smaller, I decided this was the better way to go.

As a college algebra instructor - every always omits the "x=" at the beginning of the formula anyway.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Clever and cute! Well done, Matt!

mgrigni

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mgrigni

An owlgebra candy wrapper:

elgringo79

quality posts: 2 Private Messages elgringo79

Owls have belly buttons?

lotuspixie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lotuspixie
rbgreshes wrote:Anybody ever buy Woot shirts? Is the sizing for women pretty accurate? Do they run big, small?

Well, for comparison: When I want a shirt, I either order a men's small or a women's large or x-large, depending on how loose I want it.

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
wkmtca wrote:ok.. i am female, 5'7"/135# and i wear a mens medium and that is not too big. i have a couple womans xl and they are tight... i would say they run small..

That definitely sounds like the old blanks. I used to buy men's sizes because the womens xl was just too tight, but now the womens xl is way too loose. The new blanks have more chest room and flare out a little for hips, and it's really helped for many of us.

I would say that the new womens L and mens S are somewhat comparable in size, but the mens are straight and womens fitted. For reference, I am 5'6"/120lb, and, uhm, small up top. Mens S is just a little snug after washing.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

The Math heads in my household approve and the design part certainly meets my approval. A winner all round. Reward yourself with a mouse Spiritgreen. Mathematical naysayers might want to spend their money at mathtextbook.woot instead.

sarahlav

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sarahlav

Please make this in to a Whoo-dy!

silverhawk273

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silverhawk273
jmm4128 wrote:As a college algebra instructor - every always omits the "x=" at the beginning of the formula anyway.

That's no reason why you should do it (or accept it). It's totally meaningless unless you know what the variables represent and how the parameters are related.

noimportantone

quality posts: 1 Private Messages noimportantone

Why not have a hoot off?

hparnicky728

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hparnicky728

anyone having trouble buying one? sold out maybe?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

hparnicky728 wrote:anyone having trouble buying one? sold out maybe?

Orders seem to be going through on this end. What seems to be the issue?
(Clicking the shirt size allows you to enter the ordering process just FYI)

hparnicky728

I selected a size and then hit "buy now" or whatever it is, and nothing happens.

ROGETRAY wrote:Orders seem to be going through on this end. What seems to be the issue?
(Clicking the shirt size allows you to enter the ordering process just FYI)

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

hparnicky728 wrote:I selected a size and then hit "buy now" or whatever it is, and nothing happens.

Again, I'm not witnessing any issues on this side. Have you tried/attempted ordering on another site?

Try doing the same procedure for Woot.com or Home.Woot. Lemme know.
If it's still an issue I'll run it up to staff.

- /2oget/2ay

hparnicky728

Yep, same problem. When I hover my mouse over the "buy now" button, there's a red circle with a slash through it (think no-smoking sign...is there a name for that?). Thanks for the help

ROGETRAY wrote:Again, I'm not witnessing any issues on this side. Have you tried/attempted ordering on another site?

Try doing the same procedure for Woot.com or Home.Woot. Lemme know.
If it's still an issue I'll run it up to staff.

- /2oget/2ay

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

hparnicky728 wrote:Yep, same problem. When I hover my mouse over the "buy now" button, there's a red circle with a slash through it (think no-smoking sign...is there a name for that?). Thanks for the help

I only get that red circle when I haven't chosen a size in the drop down menu. Seems to be working for me at the moment.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 0m 37.991s
First Sucker: andreamdavies
Last Wooter to Woot: azazell0
Last Purchase: a minute ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 0% of Shirt Woots
Bottom 0% of all Woots
Woots Sold: 2712

First day sales 2712
First day posts 65

lonelypond

quality posts: 410 Private Messages lonelypond

Spiritgreen owls are always good to see, even if math is involved ; )

RobertB

quality posts: 10 Private Messages RobertB

I ordered it the first day... but it hasn't arrived yet. I was hoping to wear it to Calc class today before Thanksgiving break. I've got a tracking number, but it's still in "Shipment information sent to FedEx" status. Wonder what's up?

Cr@p-free no more as of 5/26/2010!
(Previous B-to-the-OC: 11/17/2006)
i can haz quality post? zomg!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
RobertB wrote:I ordered it the first day... but it hasn't arrived yet. I was hoping to wear it to Calc class today before Thanksgiving break. I've got a tracking number, but it's still in "Shipment information sent to FedEx" status. Wonder what's up?

What's the deal with shipping?
In the lower 48 states, slow shipping is on us, via FedEx SmartPost. That's our "$0 shipping" option. If you're cheap and patient, just let SmartPost do its thing, and your shirt should be in your hand in 5-100 business days. If you're wealthy and impatient, we'll ship your order FedEx overnight for our normal $5 shipping cost. Orders in by noon will be shipped that day. Orders placed after noon will be shipped the next business day. Choose your option on shirt.woot, and the site will tell you when you can expect your shirt to arrive. All orders to Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico will be shipped SmartPost for free. Foreign orders will always be shipped via the local equivalent of SmartPost for $5. Got it? Don't blame us if you're one of those people who don't bother to read things.
----
That said, if you're feeling excessive angst and worry (and we wouldn't blame you if you do, because it is a cute shirt), you can always drop support@woot.com a line.

I'm just hanging out, really.

AllyRX7

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AllyRX7

There are a lot of folks in this thread that need to chill...such a cute shirt! I love the "aha" moment of the feather detail. In for one for mijo.

RobertB

quality posts: 10 Private Messages RobertB

Oh no, it looks like interest in this owl-some shirt has waned now that finals are over! I didn't wear it to my Calc final, in case it would get me kicked out. So I wore it to the History final, for irony's sake.

Woot, you should bring it back again in May. Either that, or get the artist to advance to C-owl-culus.

Cr@p-free no more as of 5/26/2010!
(Previous B-to-the-OC: 11/17/2006)
i can haz quality post? zomg!

owlover

quality posts: 0 Private Messages owlover

I don't know about women's sizes, but the men's Medium shirt is much smaller than most men's Medium shirts...I had to reorder in a Large.