WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Waking up. Working out. Working late. Just getting through another miserable day of this pointless existence. Caffeine can do all that and more! This week, give us your best caffeinated design to celebrate everyone's favorite crystalline xanthine alkaloid! Coffee, tea, energy drinks, go nuts! Just follow these rules:

• No text-only designs. You need a graphical element.
  • No using characters you didn't create.
  • You MUST submit print-ready artwork when you enter the Derby. Otherwise you'll be rejected.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

"You MUST submit print-ready artwork when you enter the Derby."

does any1 else remember when you used to be able to upload your print ready from the web page, instead of having to email it? you couldn't submit unless something was selected by all three browse buttons (detail, comp, print ready files). i wonder why that went away.

kevlar51

quality posts: 43 Private Messages kevlar51
no1 wrote:"You MUST submit print-ready artwork when you enter the Derby."

does any1 else remember when you used to be able to upload your print ready from the web page, instead of having to email it? you couldn't submit unless something was selected by all three browse buttons (detail, comp, print ready files). i wonder why that went away.

I seem to remember it got really buggy, and some people couldn't submit. So they took it out and said just e-mail it.

no1

kevlar51 wrote:I seem to remember it got really buggy, and some people couldn't submit. So they took it out and said just e-mail it.

why didn't they just fix the bugs?

gaelvin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gaelvin

So, what constitutes submitting print-ready art? And how do I go about doing that? I've only ever seen the Design Detail and Shirt Comp options, and I haven't really seen any guidelines for print-ready. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

kevlar51

no1 wrote:why didn't they just fix the bugs?

don't be silly.

kevlar51

can we let the "no characters you didn't create" rule slide for a good Jessie Spano reference?

clarinerd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages clarinerd

At first I read the second rule as "You MUST use characters that you didn't create" and I was a bit surprised.

Here are my guesses for the winning designs:

1: Catchy slogan relating to caffeine and how we all need it so much
2: Cute animal suffering from the effects of caffeine (with big white lifeless eyes)
3: Nerdy chemistry themed caffeine shirt involving atoms and/or the periodic table

no1

gaelvin wrote:So, what constitutes submitting print-ready art? And how do I go about doing that? I've only ever seen the Design Detail and Shirt Comp options, and I haven't really seen any guidelines for print-ready. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

see the derby entry page, on the left side.

Design Guidelines:

• Maximum 16" x 20" design dimensions
  • Use Pantone Solid Coated color swatches for your design or else we will have to convert your colors
  • Maximum of 6 spot colors
  • Gradients & Halftones:
    - Photoshop users, make certain that your halftones are 30 LPI or larger for a full-size design at 300 DPI.
    - Illustrator users, please submit your final art with gradients. We'll create the halftones on our end.
  • Each dot that makes up your halftone must be one solid color.

bluetuba

quality posts: 57 Private Messages bluetuba

OH joy, more coffee molecule and buzzed cute animal shirts!

Though, ironically I was wearing this yesterday. How did you know Woot?!

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
no1 wrote:

I think that you should do your own half toning. I have seen too often of late unprintable half-toning on the shirt comp. Allowing woot to convert your gradients to halftones still doesn't solve the fact that the comp will NOT look like the finished product. If you can't do it good enough for printing, then don't do it. IMHO

cwarfield82

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwarfield82
kevlar51 wrote:can we let the "no characters you didn't create" rule slide for a good Jessie Spano reference?

I like where this is going..

oakenspirit

quality posts: 70 Private Messages oakenspirit
clarinerd wrote:At first I read the second rule as "You MUST use characters that you didn't create" and I was a bit surprised.

Here are my guesses for the winning designs:

1: Catchy slogan relating to caffeine and how we all need it so much
2: Cute animal suffering from the effects of caffeine (with big white lifeless eyes)
3: Nerdy chemistry themed caffeine shirt involving atoms and/or the periodic table

canned vegetables... you stole ALL THREE of my epic designs... Thanks for spoiling my ideas...

;)

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

I think there will be a lot of 'similar shirts exist' rejections.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:I think there will be a lot of 'similar shirts exist' rejections.

One can only hope. Lots of "molecules" and "coffee levels critical" have made it through in the past.

eta:

WootBot wrote:You MUST submit print-ready artwork when you enter the Derby. Otherwise you'll be rejected

I guess someone got picked this week and they had to track them down for the print-ready, or pick something else.

move along

gaelvin

no1 wrote:Design Guidelines:

Maximum 16" x 20" design dimensions
Use Pantone Solid Coated color swatches for your design or else we will have to convert your colors
Maximum of 6 spot colors
Gradients & Halftones:
- Photoshop users, make certain that your halftones are 30 LPI or larger for a full-size design at 300 DPI.
- Illustrator users, please submit your final art with gradients. We'll create the halftones on our end.
Each dot that makes up your halftone must be one solid color.

I saw these guidelines, but I'm still unclear on how/where to submit the Print-Ready Artwork... the Design Detail and the Shirt Comp submissions need to be pngs or jpgs, so where do Photoshop and/or Illustrator files go?

raygunnoey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages raygunnoey

Just realized I forgot my print ready file for the Greece derby...so scatterbrained XD

oakenspirit

quality posts: 70 Private Messages oakenspirit
raygunnoey wrote:Just realized I forgot my print ready file for the Greece derby...so scatterbrained XD

I've never turned in a print-ready...

oops...

(are we supposed to on dailies also?)

I always assumed they would contact me if they needed one...

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
gaelvin wrote:I saw these guidelines, but I'm still unclear on how/where to submit the Print-Ready Artwork... the Design Detail and the Shirt Comp submissions need to be pngs or jpgs, so where do Photoshop and/or Illustrator files go?

You email it:

kevlar51 wrote:I seem to remember it [web upload] got really buggy, and some people couldn't submit. So they took it out and said just e-mail it.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
gaelvin wrote:I saw these guidelines, but I'm still unclear on how/where to submit the Print-Ready Artwork... the Design Detail and the Shirt Comp submissions need to be pngs or jpgs, so where do Photoshop and/or Illustrator files go?

They get emailed to derby@woot.com after uploading your submission. The files can be no larger than 20MB (25?)

runnerfrog13

oakenspirit wrote:I've never turned in a print-ready...

oops...

(are we supposed to on dailies also?)

I always assumed they would contact me if they needed one...

Always.

runnerfrog13

Soooo... caffeine!

I don't drink coffee or tea or most caffinated sodas, can chocolate count for this derby? I would love to see a chocolate design!

(for that matter, it would be fun to see what people come up with for a chocolate-themed derby)

benjaminleebates

runnerfrog13 wrote:Always.

They will contact you for the "print ready" art if they decide to use it. This is the way it works for derby and dailies. Unless something has changed?

no1

runnerfrog13 wrote:(for that matter, it would be fun to see what people come up with for a chocolate-themed derby)

CHOCOLATE SALTY BALLS

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
kevlar51 wrote:don't be silly.

no1

benjaminleebates wrote:They will contact you for the "print ready" art if they decide to use it. This is the way it works for derby and dailies. Unless something has changed?

idk, have you won a derby and waited until they contacted you to send in the print ready?

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek
bluetuba wrote:OH joy, more coffee molecule and buzzed cute animal shirts!

Though, ironically I was wearing this yesterday. How did you know Woot?!

Oh, not just ANY cute animal- Kittens and Penguins and Mice oh my!

zekecatz

quality posts: 201 Private Messages zekecatz

I'm guessing low sales in Utah next week.

runnerfrog13

benjaminleebates wrote:They will contact you for the "print ready" art if they decide to use it. This is the way it works for derby and dailies. Unless something has changed?

Sorry, I meant that you should always send your print-ready, not that shirt.woot will always contact you. Having never won a derby, I assume they would only contact you if you won.

runnerfrog13

zekecatz wrote:I'm guessing low sales in Utah next week.

Haha. I live in Utah, actually. Plenty of people drink caffeinated beverages (though it shall be interesting to see what the sales stats look like!)

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman

First idea I had... There would be espresso machines in the background.
Zombi barista... thoughts?

bigblued

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigblued
lkackman wrote:

First idea I had... There would be espresso machines in the background.
Zombi barista... thoughts?

You're

gaelvin

tjschaeffer wrote:They get emailed to derby@woot.com after uploading your submission. The files can be no larger than 20MB (25?)

Have I been missing something on the submission page then? I haven't seen anything about that so far.

benjaminleebates

no1 wrote:idk, have you won a derby and waited until they contacted you to send in the print ready?

yup.

kevlar51

no1 wrote:idk, have you won a derby and waited until they contacted you to send in the print ready?

They've always wanted artists to send it in right away--or at least before COB on Friday if you sub on Friday. They've posted in the past that not having print ready files is one of their biggest pet peeves.

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
bigblued wrote:You're

HEHE Thanks... going to fast

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
lkackman wrote:HEHE Thanks... going to fast

*too

Sorry! I couldn't help it. English teacher mode. :P :D

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
gaelvin wrote:Have I been missing something on the submission page then? I haven't seen anything about that so far.

They have always wanted the print ready at time of submission. Just send it to derby@woot.com.

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit

I decided to refurbish a couple old entries. This one is Jitterbug. Not done yet, but is the insect/creepy factor going to hurt this one?

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
gaelvin wrote:Have I been missing something on the submission page then? I haven't seen anything about that so far.

I believe that when you've uploaded your submission, all that info is on the page where it shows you your comp and detail.