no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

kevlar51 wrote:They've always wanted artists to send it in right away--or at least before COB on Friday if you sub on Friday. They've posted in the past that not having print ready files is one of their biggest pet peeves.

fishbiscuit5 wrote:They have always wanted the print ready at time of submission.

benjaminleebates wrote:[to waiting to send it in] yup.

i guess now we know who to thank for the new rule!

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

It's been a while since I posted sketches here (mainly because I didn't have time and had to make everything really quick...) but this time I have some "holidays", and I really like what I'm doing, so here you've got a really rough sketch XD I know...animals and coffee....ok...but I think this worths it and it's not really...cute hahaha!! What do you think?¿?

noxandpy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noxandpy

::sneaks into derby thread::

Uhhhh...hi guys! Long time no see. Nox and I had life stuff happen all at once, but I think we're trying to make a come back...or something :P

Anyway, here's what we're working on this week. Inspire by the fact that my mom used to give my sister crap about having a soda in the morning...while she drank like 5 cups of coffee. I think we all have our own preferences on caffeine delivery...

Obviously, still in sketch form

sirend

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirend

still clueless as to how to create perfect halftones with perfect circles and stuff.. i tried just about every tutorial on the web for both illustrator and photoshop but still cant get that nice effect i see in some of your guys works.. anyone willing to help out? is there some kind of plugin or something that people tend to use?

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

fishbiscuit5 wrote:They have always wanted the print ready at time of submission. Just send it to derby@woot.com.

Travis said "Monday at the latest" last time there was a discussion about it. I can't link it I dunno where it is. I guess it is better to have a stricter deadline now.

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

sirend wrote:still clueless as to how to create perfect halftones with perfect circles and stuff.. i tried just about every tutorial on the web for both illustrator and photoshop but still cant get that nice effect i see in some of your guys works.. anyone willing to help out? is there some kind of plugin or something that people tend to use?

This is how I learned to halftone in Photoshop.

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman

Added some color.

Cripes it's been a while since I've had a submission. Forgot how much fun and work this is, and I still have along way to go...

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
ochopika wrote:Travis said "Monday at the latest" last time there was a discussion about it. I can't link it I dunno where it is. I guess it is better to have a stricter deadline now.

Back in the long ago time (not really that long) they asked for print files right away. Then I think we got kind of lax at sending them right after subbing. I do know that I sent a file on a Monday and they never received it so I can see how it could be a pain.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 92 Private Messages oakenspirit

Not finished but...

Thoughts/suggestions so far?

oakenspirit

lkackman wrote:

Added some color.

Cripes it's been a while since I've had a submission. Forgot how much fun and work this is, and I still have along way to go...

I really like the look of it but I more see the person buying the coffee to be the zombie... UNLESS this is some subtle social commentary on Starbuck's viral spreading... ;) That aside, as a straight design, very solid and I really dig the lettering.

oakenspirit

wirdou wrote:It's been a while since I posted sketches here (mainly because I didn't have time and had to make everything really quick...) but this time I have some "holidays", and I really like what I'm doing, so here you've got a really rough sketch XD I know...animals and coffee....ok...but I think this worths it and it's not really...cute hahaha!! What do you think?¿?

I like the sketch- not quite sure I get it... Is coffee the were-koala's silver bullet?

oakenspirit

orabbit wrote:I decided to refurbish a couple old entries. This one is Jitterbug. Not done yet, but is the insect/creepy factor going to hurt this one?

poor guy...

I like it- captures the feel well- I didn't immediately read doughnut but that might be my failing...

wirdou

oakenspirit wrote:I like the sketch- not quite sure I get it... Is coffee the were-koala's silver bullet?

I think I'm gonna delete the moon XD It's not like he's a were-koala. It's just that he has drunk a barrel of coffee not to be so sleepy....but it's been too much and it has turned into a beast! (thanks for your opinion, now it's clear for me that it can be misunderstood)

oakenspirit

wirdou wrote:I think I'm gonna delete the moon XD It's not like he's a were-koala. It's just that he has drunk a barrel of coffee not to be so sleepy....but it's been too much and it has turned into a beast! (thanks for your opinion, now it's clear for me that it can be misunderstood)

Ah. Yes. That changes it totally... I was thinking the 3 lil koala's left a trap for him... hehe.

(jots down were-koala for later use)

no1

wirdou wrote:I think I'm gonna delete the moon XD It's not like he's a were-koala. It's just that he has drunk a barrel of coffee not to be so sleepy....but it's been too much and it has turned into a beast! (thanks for your opinion, now it's clear for me that it can be misunderstood)

if he drank it, he shouldn't be looking at it in front of him like prey, he should be dropping it behind him like an empty beer can.

wirdou

thank you no1 that's a great advice maybe I'll add a couple more...as he had left a trail of coffee barrels XD

mapinto

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mapinto
benjaminleebates wrote:I think that you should do your own half toning. I have seen too often of late unprintable half-toning on the shirt comp. Allowing woot to convert your gradients to halftones still doesn't solve the fact that the comp will NOT look like the finished product. If you can't do it good enough for printing, then don't do it. IMHO

Agreed. Proper half toning on the shirt comp at a reasonable size is the requirement in my belief. What you see, should expectedly be what you'd get. That being said, shirt comps with gradients is no longer acceptable. Just my two cents...

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
oakenspirit wrote:Not finished but...

Cool idea, but I'm not sure I know what mana means. Also, the perspective on your cups is wonky. Love the concept though!

oakenspirit

orabbit wrote:Cool idea, but I'm not sure I know what mana means. Also, the perspective on your cups is wonky. Love the concept though!

Thanks... I will try and tweak the perspective...

-and mana... originally said Heaven... also tried Nirvana, harmony, omnipotent... lol... in other words, the WORD has been quite the work in progress... I'll keep thinking...

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
oakenspirit wrote:Thanks... I will try and tweak the perspective...

-and mana... originally said Heaven... also tried Nirvana, harmony, omnipotent... lol... in other words, the WORD has been quite the work in progress... I'll keep thinking...

How about "BLISS"

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

oakenspirit

bluetuba wrote:How about "BLISS"

oooooooo.... That's why I love you guys...

gaelvin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gaelvin
fishbiscuit5 wrote:They have always wanted the print ready at time of submission. Just send it to derby@woot.com.

Thanks... I don't know why I haven't noticed that bit. Are there any guidelines for what to put as the subject line in the e-mail?

no1

gaelvin wrote:Thanks... I don't know why I haven't noticed that bit. Are there any guidelines for what to put as the subject line in the e-mail?

if i was the recipient, i think i'd like something like the title of your entry, and possibly your woot username, so that it'd be easier to find if i needed to print your design. mabe the words "print ready file" could go in there too.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
noxandpy wrote:::sneaks into derby thread::

Uhhhh...hi guys! Long time no see. Nox and I had life stuff happen all at once, but I think we're trying to make a come back...or something :P

Anyway, here's what we're working on this week. Inspire by the fact that my mom used to give my sister crap about having a soda in the morning...while she drank like 5 cups of coffee. I think we all have our own preferences on caffeine delivery...

I love the idea. But I say that especially because I am working on a very similar idea

MSUandUGA

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MSUandUGA
noxandpy wrote:::sneaks into derby thread::

I like it a lot! So simple, yet to the point!

lkackman

More detail and more color... now for some background and then more detail! long haul here I come.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
oakenspirit wrote:Not finished but...

If you can't get the handle looking right just skip the handle facing front, the other two give the idea. Actually make sugar be on the front and make it a handle less sugar bowl.

oakenspirit

Ok... been tweaking...

Made perspective and handles better (hopefully)-

Now for placement

I could have it large and centered...

or

in tweaking things, it ended up looking like a heart... I could have it smaller and over the left breast to play that up further- like so...

oakenspirit

blanked wrote:If you can't get the handle looking right just skip the handle facing front, the other two give the idea. Actually make sugar be on the front and make it a handle less sugar bowl.

hopefully this newer version addresses your thoughts...

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc

I did 2

oakenspirit

odysseyroc wrote:

As do I....
How else are you going to keep it going, keep it going full steam?
;)

Deftly done!

lkackman

I think this is as far as I will get before noon tomorrow.

Thoughts?

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
lkackman wrote:I think this is as far as I will get before noon tomorrow.

Thoughts?

It's cool! I love the colors.
My one beef is with the "coffee" in the background. The zombie kind of makes it hard to make out those f's. And that O is a little rough as well.

antastic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages antastic
oakenspirit wrote:Ok... been tweaking...

Made perspective and handles better (hopefully)-

Now for placement

I could have it large and centered...

or

in tweaking things, it ended up looking like a heart... I could have it smaller and over the left breast to play that up further- like so...

I actually like your first submission because the perspective had an artistic look to it while now it just looks too forced. It had style!

Radscoolian

Here is what I worked up. Im not sure I like the text

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Here's what I've been working on...
does it translate?

Radscoolian

jasneko wrote:Here's what I've been working on...
does it translate?

You should make it a vampire.

ApeLad

quality posts: 44 Private Messages ApeLad

Here's what I'll be entering. I nearly designed it on creme, but we all know what kind of response that usually garners.

jitters by Ape Lad, on Flickr

ApeLad

Radscoolian wrote:Here is what I worked up. Im not sure I like the text

Oh man, this is great. Coffee's a jerk!

ApeLad

odysseyroc wrote:I did 2

These are both brilliant! The top would've been a great entry for the trompe l'oeil derby.