Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
ApeLad wrote:Oh man, this is great. Coffee's a jerk!

Thanks, Apelad! Your cat is pretty awesome, and you did well resisting the allure of cream. People just don't seem to care much for it.

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
odysseyroc wrote:I did 2

I say that ALL THE TIME... Beastie Boys style!

benjaminleebates

quality posts: 5 Private Messages benjaminleebates
no1 wrote:i guess now we know who to thank for the new rule!

schmuck! lol
Well, if they had a problem with me waiting to send my shirts AFTER they asked, they could have mentioned it in the email... Passive Aggressive much?
But in truth, I've been around for years. When they took the submission box for the print ready art off the sub page, they said that they would request art if the shirt was to possibly print. I'm usually a BIG rule follower, so if I missed something it was purely by missing the memo and not due to any ill intent on my behalf, scouts honor!

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman
Radscoolian wrote:Here is what I worked up. Im not sure I like the text

kharmazero

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kharmazero

I've got this one ready and working on another one

oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit
antastic wrote:I actually like your first submission because the perspective had an artistic look to it while now it just looks too forced. It had style!

Thanks for the thoughts/suggestions... I can see what you are saying-

Anyone else have an opinion on this. Original vs revised? I am set up to post an updated version of the revised (I further angled the handles) but if I went TOO FAR and my original was more charming, maybe I should go back to the drawing board... I know you can't please everyone but I really find these pre-critiques helpful.

Thanks everyone!

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

Hey all. To me, the main contenders for caffeine have always been coffee and tea, so I thought I would make it official. The coloring is not clean yet, but I figure I am far enough along to ask for input. Do you think the comic book style vibe is successful? Do you think it reads ok? Any input is appreciated

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02

I have 2 this week...

Icy13

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Icy13
odysseyroc wrote:

Please No Text. That would make it slightly more subtle, letting the joke slowly roll over you and then hit you right in the face; just like a good hit of caffeine

Also, maybe try it on a nice dark green shirt? Then it would be even more like I am "Green Cup-tern" rather than simply sporting his slogan

oakenspirit

graffd02 wrote:I have 2 this week...

LOVE this one... its like origami dice coffee... The greatest combo ever!

curli76

quality posts: 18 Private Messages curli76

Would love to see a holiday shirt celebrating (or parodying) the ubiquitous "red cup" sold by a certain ubiquitous coffee chain.

aerc712

quality posts: 4 Private Messages aerc712

I love this! The huge smile on the coffee cup's face is great. I think the text works. I am one of the many who can't start their day without a cup of coffee. After that first sip all is right in the world. Anywho, the different components work really well together and I love how you captured the movement of that moment of the sleepyhead jumping out of bed.

pastorroy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pastorroy

Here is mine. Any thoughts?

lilsquiggle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle

Well, Im about to have to head off out of the house for the day, so this definitely wont be finished until some time Saturday or Sunday, but in the mean time, some feedback of what I've done so far would be awesome ^_^

I want to add some highlights to the coffee beans to give them some depth, as well as add some swirls on the end of the logs to make them look more like wood. I also need to sort out the fire properly, and probably find another colour to add to it to give it some interest. And finally I need to think about shadows on the floor.

oakenspirit

lilsquiggle wrote:Well, Im about to have to head off out of the house for the day, so this definitely wont be finished until some time Saturday or Sunday, but in the mean time, some feedback of what I've done so far would be awesome ^_^

I want to add some highlights to the coffee beans to give them some depth, as well as add some swirls on the end of the logs to make them look more like wood. I also need to sort out the fire properly, and probably find another colour to add to it to give it some interest. And finally I need to think about shadows on the floor.

Really dig the idea and the shadows will go a long way if done properly... I would also have fire highlights on the lil bean faces...

Maybe a volcano in the background... ehe

graffd02

quality posts: 1 Private Messages graffd02
lilsquiggle wrote:Well, Im about to have to head off out of the house for the day, so this definitely wont be finished until some time Saturday or Sunday, but in the mean time, some feedback of what I've done so far would be awesome ^_^

Make it a coffee pot or a cup on the fire... just an idea.

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh

- I LOVE COFFEE -
Wondering I could get a little feedback on this design? I doubt I'll have time to finish it up this morning. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

lilsquiggle

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
oakenspirit wrote:Really dig the idea and the shadows will go a long way if done properly... I would also have fire highlights on the lil bean faces...

Maybe a volcano in the background... ehe

Yeah, Im currently wondering exactly how to go about doing it, I dont find lighting and shadows very instinctive. I suspect Ill end up doing it again and again till I get something I like XD

Oooo background volcano... I like that thought, I may experiment with that. Nice idea thanks!

graffd02 wrote:Make it a coffee pot or a cup on the fire... just an idea.

Very interesting suggestion. Not sure a coffee pot would work, too tall and narrow and most of them have lids, but I shall ponder on that and maybe try out a coffee cup. Thanks for the idea

randomwordz321

quality posts: 0 Private Messages randomwordz321

Love it!

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
pastorroy wrote:Here is mine. Any thoughts?

Personally, I hate the fake Cyrillic font. Cool concept though. Maybe try one called Maus.

http://www.dafont.com/maus.font

Or another called Pioneer. That one's probably not free though.

Similar vibe, but not so "ethnic".

orabbit

jessisima wrote:Hey all. To me, the main contenders for caffeine have always been coffee and tea, so I thought I would make it official. The coloring is not clean yet, but I figure I am far enough along to ask for input. Do you think the comic book style vibe is successful? Do you think it reads ok? Any input is appreciated

You must have power again. Hooray!

Cool idea, but I think it needs big bright colors, and possibly big grainy halftones like a comic. Kind of like this:

You can do it in Illustrator by making your spot color a percentage, and going to Effect > Pixellate > Color Halftone. Set all your angles the same (22.5 works) and play with the radius. Bigger # = bigger dots. Then I usually rasterize and auto trace.

oakenspirit

collinvh wrote:
- I LOVE COFFEE -
Wondering I could get a little feedback on this design? I doubt I'll have time to finish it up this morning. All feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

very subtle... I like it a lot...I wonder if a different shirt color would sell it better... like red for LOVE... ;) (it is really warm with the brown though...)

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

orabbit wrote:Personally, I hate the fake Cyrillic font. Cool concept though. Maybe try one called Maus.

http://www.dafont.com/maus.font

Or another called Pioneer. That one's probably not free though.

Similar vibe, but not so "ethnic".

Wholly agreed. And it's not even fake Cyrillic--it's straight up mixed Roman and Cyrillic capital letters. I'm not seeing "Caffeine," I'm seeing "KDFFyehIehIyeh." It's jarring and just doesn't work.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko
Radscoolian wrote:You should make it a vampire.

That is a way better idea... except I don't really like vampires. hehe. I don't have time to change it anyway. Not sure if I'll submit it or not, but thanks!

Vote!

DAISYC

quality posts: 6 Private Messages DAISYC
oakenspirit wrote:I like the sketch- not quite sure I get it... Is coffee the were-koala's silver bullet?

I like it, but I was assuming that the coffee turned the koala into a were-koala. I am thinking that the were'koala seems to have grown a very un-koala-like tail...

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

jessisima wrote:Hey all. To me, the main contenders for caffeine have always been coffee and tea, so I thought I would make it official. The coloring is not clean yet, but I figure I am far enough along to ask for input. Do you think the comic book style vibe is successful? Do you think it reads ok? Any input is appreciated

I think this is fantastic. You will definitely be getting my vote.

I agree that some comic-y dotted halftones would look pretty great if applied judiciously. But I love the coffee/tea browns colour palette you've got. It really reflects the subject well and lends the humourous concept of the design a refined, classy, subtle strength of antiquity. Were I to suggest any colour change, I would suggest the addition/adjustment of a strong caramel/cafe au lait shade to the design--for a bit of subtle pop and to balance out the heaviness of the dark brown/black and the bright cream/white.

aerc712

orabbit wrote:Personally, I hate the fake Cyrillic font.

You're not the only one.

Didn't a few people raise that point (and mention that it bothered/upset/offended them) during the propaganda derby? I personally feel that way about stylized/fake versions of other languages. It is so, so difficult to have it not look bad and it really sets things up for people to be upset (and rightly so.)

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
collinvh wrote:
- I LOVE COFFEE -

I'm trying to think of a way to put this that doesn't come off as offensive or gross, but the beans kind of have an...anatomical look to them that you generally only see in magazines sold in brown paper bags or websites that require visitors to be 18 or over.

Maybe it's just me having a mind in the wrong place, but once I saw it I could not unsee it.

oakenspirit

lilsquiggle wrote:Yeah, Im currently wondering exactly how to go about doing it, I dont find lighting and shadows very instinctive. I suspect Ill end up doing it again and again till I get something I like XD

Here ya go... cheat sheet I threw together at work!

jessisima

orabbit wrote:You must have power again. Hooray!

Cool idea, but I think it needs big bright colors, and possibly big grainy halftones like a comic. Kind of like this:

You can do it in Illustrator by making your spot color a percentage, and going to Effect > Pixellate > Color Halftone. Set all your angles the same (22.5 works) and play with the radius. Bigger # = bigger dots. Then I usually rasterize and auto trace.

Yeah I have power again (YAY!) I've been a little MIA though, catching up on stuff and so on. BUT I am back in business and really appreciate this input. It's really helpful because I didn't know hot to do half tone in illustrator Thanks.

aerc712

tjschaeffer wrote:I'm trying to think of a way to put this that doesn't come off as offensive or gross, but the beans kind of have an...anatomical look to them that you generally only see in magazines sold in brown paper bags or websites that require visitors to be 18 or over.

Maybe it's just me having a mind in the wrong place, but once I saw it I could not unsee it.

Oof, after reading that, it is a bit hard to unsee that.

Just a more general comment - be careful when drawing coffee beans. It doesn't take much for them to start looking less like beans and more like something with a far less pleasant aroma than coffee.

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

tjschaeffer wrote:I'm trying to think of a way to put this that doesn't come off as offensive or gross, but the beans kind of have an...anatomical look to them that you generally only see in magazines sold in brown paper bags or websites that require visitors to be 18 or over.

Heh, I'm staring at the design and I guess I can kind of see your interpretation if I apply my imagination and take off my glasses or squint. It's no Georgia O'Keefe obviousness, by any means. I think your mind has to be reaaaaaally distracted in order to see it. That, or you've been on the internet too long!

Hmmm. But! The design definitely doesn't distinctly look like coffee beans. Very sketchy/impressionist. So I guess I actually do see where you're getting your interpretation: the beans are indistinct enough to allow the viewer to see them as whatever is on their minds at the moment of initial viewing. For example, I've been having digestion issues this morning, so I actually saw them at first as bits of brown matter before my brain readjusted itself and slapped me with "they're coffee beans, doofus."

Oooh, considering our reactions, it's kind of a genuis design, actually, in that contemporary art sort of way!

orabbit

Well, I won't be done for another hour or so, but this is what I'm working on. Save room on your ballot for me!

By the way, does anyone speak Italian? It should say Scooter Coffee or Motor Coffee or something similar. My Mom's Italian isn't so great though.

collinvh

quality posts: 57 Private Messages collinvh
goldenthorn wrote:Heh, I'm staring at the design and I guess I can kind of see your interpretation if I apply my imagination and take off my glasses or squint. It's no Georgia O'Keefe obviousness, by any means. I think your mind has to be reaaaaaally distracted in order to see it. That, or you've been on the internet too long!

Hmmm. But! The design definitely doesn't distinctly look like coffee beans. Very sketchy/impressionist. So I guess I actually do see where you're getting your interpretation: the beans are indistinct enough to allow the viewer to see them as whatever is on their minds at the moment of initial viewing. For example, I've been having digestion issues this morning, so I actually saw them at first as bits of brown matter before my brain readjusted itself and slapped me with "they're coffee beans, doofus."

Oooh, considering our reactions, it's kind of a genuis design, actually, in that contemporary art sort of way!

Thanks for the honest comments and feedback so far. Although, now I'm really confused... Move forward with this or back to the drawing board?

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

collinvh wrote:Thanks for the honest comments and feedback so far. Although, now I'm really confused... Move forward with this or back to the drawing board?

Hrrrm... if this was really just an initial loose sketch of ideas, and you intend(ed) to make them more like actual coffee beans--like a loving, scientific, "Darwin sketches the delicious Coffee Bean as spotted in the wilds of the Kitchen Islands" anatomical type design--then sure! Yes!

But if you leave it mostly as is and just sharpen it up or do minor changes? In my opinion, no.

aerc712

collinvh wrote:Thanks for the honest comments and feedback so far. Although, now I'm really confused... Move forward with this or back to the drawing board?

To clarify, after reading the comment about what the beans were looking like, I really only saw it in the first one, the eye. I'm not quite sure what to do to fix that...perhaps exaggerating the "iris" a bit more. I'm thinking of the cartoonish eyes and the larger than normal size of the iris. That might help it look more like an eye.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
goldenthorn wrote:Heh, I'm staring at the design and I guess I can kind of see your interpretation if I apply my imagination and take off my glasses or squint. It's no Georgia O'Keefe obviousness, by any means. I think your mind has to be reaaaaaally distracted in order to see it. That, or you've been on the internet too long!

Insert joke about the workings of the male brain here.

jessisima

jessisima wrote:Yeah I have power again (YAY!) I've been a little MIA though, catching up on stuff and so on. BUT I am back in business and really appreciate this input. It's really helpful because I didn't know hot to do half tone in illustrator Thanks.

So..... couldn't figure out the illustrator halftones very well, but I didn't want to delay submitting. So.... it's not exactly as comic style as I would like, but it will have to do. If it doesn't do well here I will try the halftones again before submitting it elsewhere.

aerc712

tjschaeffer wrote:Insert joke about the workings of the male brain here.

Eh, this female agreed with you. Folks see different things when they see something a little more abstract. Nothing wrong with that.

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
noxandpy wrote:Obviously, still in sketch form

Probably too late, but PLEASE please please... do it!