+ Add a Comment

WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

11/26/2012 UPDATE: Our back catalog re-launch has been an overwhelming success! Literally. We're overwhelmed. We're putting the catalog on hold until we can scale up to meet the demand while completing all current orders. Check back soon!

Unless you've been diligently buying shirts from us since day one back in 2007, you've probably missed at least one Shirt.Woot design that would look great on you... maybe become your favorite shirt... possibly even change your life. All you could do was wallow in regret and hope for the off chance that it would reappear in a Woot Plus event.

Until today. Almost every Shirt.Woot design ever is now available once again on our All Designs page. That's right: you can browse every shirt design we've ever issued, and buy nearly every one. Not a dream! Not a mirage! Not an imaginary story! This is as real as cotton. You probably have some questions, like...

How is this miracle possible? Well, digital shirt printing has made enormous advances in the five years since we launched. At the time, it just didn't meet our standards of quality. And as long as we were limited to screenprinting, keeping hundreds of designs in print just wasn't economical. But once we finally found a printing system capable of producing shirts we'd be proud of, we knew it was time to bring the entire catalog back into print. Almost the entire catalog, anyway.

What do you mean "almost"? Digital still can't do special effects like glow-in-the-dark or metallic ink. And a handful of designs have rights issues that prevent us from offering them again. But the vast majority of our designs - up past 1,700 at last count - are available for purchase.

Are you moving to digital printing for all shirts? No. The shirts in the Reckoning will still be silkscreened. Or, as we call it now, the shirts in our Top 20 Tees will still be silkscreened, along with #21-27 on the chart and the shirts too new to be Reckoned.

Doesn't this render the Day of Reckoning meaningless? Not quite. As we said, when a shirt drops off the chart, it moves to digital printing instead of silkscreen. And the price for those shirts will go up from $15 to $18.

Why are the print on demand shirts more expensive? Because it's a special order, basically. When we're moving mass quantities of a certain design, we can economize a bit. Without that scale, they just get a little more expensive to process and produce. But we still think $18 stacks up well against anybody, especially with free standard shipping in the U.S.

Doesn't digital printing produce an inferior product? Not anymore. Not only has it practically caught up to silkscreen in overall quality, there are certain things digital does better: fine lines, photo imaging, gradients. Digital can do more subtle things than silkscreen.

How can I find that one shirt I missed? The search tools on our All Designs page let you search for full or partial titles, by artist, by keyword, by category, by color, by price, or by any combination of any of those. We're still refining the search tools, too - if you see a mis-tagged or otherwise wrongly labeled shirt, let us know. And if none of that helps you find the shirt you're thinking of, you could probably ask in the forums. Shirt.Woot members are amazing with that kind of thing.

How long will print-on-demand shirts take to produce and ship? We'll level with you: we're not sure. We're new to this, and if there's a huge surge of orders for these shirts, we might run into some delays. We'll try to keep you apprised of the expected shipping times for the shirts you order. Forgive us in advance for any unexpected insanity.

We're sure we haven't thought of everything, so fire away below and we'll try to answer your questions about this brave new Shirt.Woot world. Or just get down to browsing & buying on our All Designs page.

Quality Posts

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Whew, this has been a LONG time coming, but I'm really excited about it. Chances are if you've ever printed a shirt with us, it's now on sale and will be 24/7/365. That's great news for artists and customers alike. I'm sure we'll face some growing pains, but I really think this is going to be worth it.

We're going to be making adjustments in the coming days and weeks, so don't hesitate to post any mistakes you see. We'll work as quickly as possible to get them fixed.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

I was lucky enough to watch a shirt get printed a couple weeks ago. It's an awesome process to watch and the shirt looked great. The colors were vibrant and very close to what you'd see with silk screen. I'm super excited about this!

What's the first shirt you're ordering and why? Spill all.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

slacker44

quality posts: 7 Private Messages slacker44

Good thing I have off tomorrow. I'm pretty sure I'll be browsing shirts all night! Exciting!

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51

This is amazing!!!!!!!!!!

[EDIT] And thanks for the reckoning rename. I can finally stop having to provide a definition to people after every time I use the word.

ChadMoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ChadMoran

Staff

ThunderThighs wrote:I was lucky enough to watch a shirt get printed a couple weeks ago. It's an awesome process to watch and the shirt looked great. The colors were vibrant and very close to what you'd see with silk screen. I'm super excited about this!

What's the first shirt you're ordering and why? Spill all.

I gotta grab this...

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/pumpkin-everything

Code Monkey (get it?), Woot

trekmiss

quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss
tgentry wrote:Whew, this has been a LONG time coming, but I'm really excited about it. Chances are if you've ever printed a shirt with us, it's now on sale and will be 24/7/365. That's great news for artists and customers alike. I'm sure we'll face some growing pains, but I really think this is going to be worth it.

We're going to be making adjustments in the coming days and weeks, so don't hesitate to post any mistakes you see. We'll work as quickly as possible to get them fixed.

What are the odds of getting AA blanks?

arryielle

quality posts: 6 Private Messages arryielle

The Royal Blue shirt designs are showing that all sizes are available, including kid sizes. Is this correct?? And if so, can we get the 'Top 20' Royal Blue design shirt pages updated as well please?

My shirts available on Teetrade and WootStalker!

ThunderThighs

Staff

trekmiss wrote:What are the odds of getting AA blanks?

We are using the same blanks as our other shirts... Anvil. Each shirt has been updated to show the country of origin.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jhmz

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jhmz

$18? seriously? what's that, like a 500% profit margin? i mean, hey guys, i'm trying to work with you here. i want some shirts, but you're busting my balls with this $18. c'mon.

wanderbug2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wanderbug2

Hey, this is really incredibly cool, but I think I found a glitch. Walmazan's Headless Horsemen is listed as "printed to order" and priced at $18, even though he's currently in the reckoning (er, top 20) at #15.

(Why, yes, I was searching on Walmazan's designs...already...)

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

I noticed this with the lightsaber numbchuckies too.

wanderbug2 wrote:Hey, this is really incredibly cool, but I think I found a glitch. Walmazan's Headless Horsemen is listed as "printed to order" and priced at $18, even though he's currently in the reckoning (er, top 20) at #15.

that was fun while it lasted!

ProfHotpants

quality posts: 49 Private Messages ProfHotpants
arryielle wrote:The Royal Blue shirt designs are showing that all sizes are available, including kid sizes. Is this correct?? And if so, can we get the 'Top 20' Royal Blue design shirt pages updated as well please?

Royal blue kids shirts are still on back order as far as I know, but they should be coming into our production office soon. I will notify Dev about the bug in the ordering of royal kids sizes. Good catch!

We will be updating the Top 20 as soon as those shirts are back in stock.

LarryLars

quality posts: 65 Private Messages LarryLars

The whole catalogue... wow.

Autobiography will be the first shirt that I am buying because it's a bird shirt! Bird is da word!

!

Have you checked your Private Messages lately?

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
ThunderThighs wrote:We are using the same blanks as our other shirts... Anvil. Each shirt has been updated to show the country of origin.

What about the heather greys? And other discontinued colors?

ThunderThighs

Staff

blanked wrote:What about the heather greys? And other discontinued colors?

The shirts previously printed on Heather Gray are now printed on Silver. It's noted on the color choice when you hover over it and on the color notation for the shirt on the sale page.

Other colors may not be available. You'll see information as you hover over the different color choices on the right side bar.

As mentioned above, it's ALMOST every shirt.

FORUM MODERATOR

ProfHotpants

bpr2 wrote:I noticed this with the lightsaber numbchuckies too.

I'm writing to the Dev team as fast as I can. With 1800 product launches in one night, we knew there would be some issues we couldn't catch in internal beta. If you notice anything else, post here for the next half hour, and I'll relay it.

blanked

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blanked
ProfHotpants wrote:I'm writing to the Dev team as fast as I can. With 1800 product launches in one night, we knew there would be some issues we couldn't catch in internal beta. If you notice anything else, post here for the next half hour, and I'll relay it.

Is Gettysburg address still in the top twenty? It isn't labeled such but it is at 15.

tgentry

Staff

blanked wrote:What about the heather greys? And other discontinued colors?

Heather Greys are going to all be available on Silver. The images should be updated in the coming days to reflect that. As of now Orange tees are discontinued, but that could change in the future.

Edit: Oops, I see TT got to that one already.

leommj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leommj

Hi!
Now that there are almost 2k designs available, can't you now allow us to put different designs on the same order? For international buyers that would really help, when we like several designs and want only one shirt from each.

vielleicht

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vielleicht

If a tee is marked "out of print", this means it's either printed on a discontinued blank color, with special ink, or can't be run for some kind of copyright reason, right? (It's mostly the latter that I'm curious about, as some like Family Breakfast are "out of print" and copyright is the only explanation I can think of?)

Very excited about this, though - now I can FINALLY get my hands on a Bake It So!

EDIT: Also, "This Was a Triumph" appears not to be listed under video games, unless I'm blinder than I thought. ;)

computermd82

quality posts: 31 Private Messages computermd82

This is insane, do you realize what you've done Woot? Should I just surrender my paycheck now?

Just bought a copy of Walmazan's True Love, been waiting for that to come back for a while now. This will be my test shirt to see how the digital printing goes.

One question: Will the Woot Plus side sale shirts still be silk screened?

V'Owl Birthday of Celebrations GIVEAWAY!!!!
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

geekfactor12

quality posts: 11 Private Messages geekfactor12

This is very, very intriguing :D I have questions!

1a) Should every shirt (even if out of print) be listed in the catalog?

1b) If so, who do we email/contact if we believe a shirt isn't listed and should be?

2) Any pics of the DTG printing?

3) Shirts are available now, but are any other DTG printed options planned?

4) Is there any way for artists to check the stats on how their designs are selling as DTG tees?

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

This is fantastic!
Also: I didn't realize it has been five years since my first woot shirt: http://shirt.woot.com/offers/apelad
I don't look quite like that anymore.

tgentry

Staff

blanked wrote:Is Gettysburg address still in the top twenty? It isn't labeled such but it is at 15.

That's a redux design being featured in a current PLUS sale. All tees currently available make it into the design catalog, including new PLUS sale tees. Once the PLUS sale ends that designs should drop out of the catalog. If you search for Gettysburg Address you should see that the PLUS sale redux and the original are both available.

ThunderThighs

Staff

leommj wrote:Hi!
Now that there are almost 2k designs available, can't you now allow us to put different designs on the same order? For international buyers that would really help, when we like several designs and want only one shirt from each.

I'm sorry but we don't have a cart to load up on purchases with one shipping fee.

FORUM MODERATOR

wanderbug2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wanderbug2

Thinking about this a little more, it seems we are only a small step to another couple of changes. Is this the first phase of even bigger changes?

It seems that once you print to order there's really very little reason not to make multiple product choices available, or at least periodically.

Also, what happens to random shirt day? Seems like there will be no need to clearance the leftovers (if you've got space to store them?)

ProfHotpants

wanderbug2 wrote:Hey, this is really incredibly cool, but I think I found a glitch. Walmazan's Headless Horsemen is listed as "printed to order" and priced at $18, even though he's currently in the reckoning (er, top 20) at #15.

Ok, if you click on the catalog image to go to the actual sale page, it is $15. I'm sure we'll be finding more glitches along the way - thanks for helping us out!

devyanks90

quality posts: 4 Private Messages devyanks90

This will undoubtedly cause me to spend large amounts of money I shouldn't spend.

Curse you woot!

Take it back (in tee form) will probably be my GOBBLE GOBBLE!

Any chance of re-rendering the whole shirt preview images of some of the older shirts? Some of them look rather blurry.

example:

long live woottv

tgentry

Staff

I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge...

geekfactor12 wrote:This is very, very intriguing :D I have questions!

Yes.

1b) If so, who do we email/contact if we believe a shirt isn't listed and should be?

You can email me or Barbara, or feel free to post here.

Not currently.

I know we want to get tees right before we start exploring other possibilities.

4) Is there any way for artists to check the stats on how their designs are selling as DTG tees?

Presently no, but I'm sure that's something we'll be looking at.

outintospace

quality posts: 4 Private Messages outintospace

I'm so disappointed that Skateworld isn't available.

Seriously.

tgentry

Staff

devyanks90 wrote:This will undoubtedly cause me to spend large amounts of money I shouldn't spend.

Curse you woot!

Take it back (in tee form) will probably be my GOBBLE GOBBLE!

Any chance of re-rendering the whole shirt preview images of some of the older shirts? Some of them look rather blurry.

example:

This will likely be one of the changes you'll see in the coming days and weeks.

ProfHotpants

geekfactor12 wrote:This is very, very intriguing :D I have questions!

1a) Every shirt under an "A" Exclusive contract that isn't on a special or discontinued color should be in the catalog.
1b) If you think there is one missing, write to your friendly neighborhood art director and we'll follow that up.
2) I don't think there are official pics, but I will see if our photographers can squeeze some in tomorrow. In the meantime, maybe some staff will share their pics? Most of us got shirts last week (I left mine at the office by mistake or I'd get a quick pic now).
3) There are many surprises in store for Shirt.Wooters.
4) I do not believe there is a place for artists to check their stats at this time, but I believe that's in the works.

slacker44

quality posts: 7 Private Messages slacker44

Since there are now so many shirts available, how about a way to create some sort of wishlist to use when browsing?

skarsol

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skarsol

Kinda sad knowing that I'm going to be seeing more of my older shirts around on other people now.

ProfHotpants

wanderbug2 wrote:
Also, what happens to random shirt day? Seems like there will be no need to clearance the leftovers (if you've got space to store them?)

We will still be having Random Shirt sales. The catalog is based on printing each shirt to order, not storing piles of old designs (we'd have to have a warehouse like the one at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark). We will still need to move through the printed inventory just as before.

bluejester

quality posts: 567 Private Messages bluejester

Question barrage time:

Sorry to be a little confused here but how does this affect the reckoning in so far as a shirt falling out of the top 20? On Monday at noon, does this mean that if a shirt has fallen out of the top 20, then the shirt, rather than being reckoned, simply moves into "The Catalog?" Or does that mean the instant that it drops from the top twenty it is considered to be now and forever in "The Catalog?"

Furthermore, will the artists be getting a better deal once their design goes from top twenty to the screening process?

Also, as another wooter mentioned, does this effectively end the fun that was Random Shirt Day?

And, isn't there concern that this will cause harm to older shirts vying for a spot in the top twenty? With the Reckoning, there was always the drama of what shirts would face the chop, so people would engage in "buying wars" of a sort, in order to ensure that a shirt stayed in print. Doesn't that pretty much end, and shouldn't that cause woot concern? I mean, if the shirt is always going to be around, won't it become a shrug and a "meh" to people?

Lastly, I worry the effect it will have on the artist's who sometimes rely on shirt sales to make ends meet. I think most of us are familiar with Haxrox and the Nevermore shirt stuff, as well as being aware of the fact that buying Unstealthiest Ninja shirts not only got us a cool shirt, but helped keep the Dooomkittens in diapers. Just some thoughts I have as I logged on to woot and saw the change.

Last lastly ( for now) During woot-offs, will the catalog go on sale, or just the top twenty?

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

DTG?! Just out of curiosity, have you guys been experimenting with DTG for some of the side sale items? I had a weird suspicion that my destroyer of world hoodie was DTG. I could be crazy though.

Also: Kudos for this.

ProfHotpants

rasabi wrote:DTG?! Just out of curiosity, have you guys been experimenting with DTG for some of the side sale items? I had a weird suspicion that my destroyer of world hoodie was DTG. I could be crazy though.

No, we haven't been using digital printing for the plus sales. Those have all been boring old screen prints.

tgentry

Staff

I recommend playing around with the catalog search. It's a lot of fun and very useful. Try words like mustache, weird, or anthropomorphic. You might be surprised what you can pull up. Also you can search designs by artist. And if you scroll down you'll notice you can see all of the designs run on a particular shirt color. I know I've been wishing for these features for a long time. Our dev team did an amazing job making it happen.