+ Add a Comment

bluejester

quality posts: 556 Private Messages bluejester

Dark Side of Oz isn't in print? That's one that I really wanted to nab but was too broke to get, but it still isn't available...=(

[MOD: Fixed]

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

WAIT.....A.......MINUTE......

YOU CAN BUY HOW MANY OF THE $18 SHIRTS AT A TIME?!!!!!!!

HOLY SIZZLE!

that was fun while it lasted!

elessia

quality posts: 0 Private Messages elessia

I for one am sad about this. At first I was super excited at realizing I could buy a pocket protector shirt again, as I missed it the first time around, but then I realized that my shirt is no longer unique and with no drive to buy it before it is reckoned then I will probably never have money to buy it, because it no longer is a priority. So Sad...this one goes down as a minus in my book woot.

ProfHotpants

quality posts: 49 Private Messages ProfHotpants
bluejester wrote:Question barrage time:

Sorry to be a little confused here but how does this affect the reckoning in so far as a shirt falling out of the top 20? On Monday at noon, does this mean that if a shirt has fallen out of the top 20, then the shirt, rather than being reckoned, simply moves into "The Catalog?" Or does that mean the instant that it drops from the top twenty it is considered to be now and forever in "The Catalog?"

Furthermore, will the artists be getting a better deal once their design goes from top twenty to the screening process?

Also, as another wooter mentioned, does this effectively end the fun that was Random Shirt Day?

And, isn't there concern that this will cause harm to older shirts vying for a spot in the top twenty? With the Reckoning, there was always the drama of what shirts would face the chop, so people would engage in "buying wars" of a sort, in order to ensure that a shirt stayed in print. Doesn't that pretty much end, and shouldn't that cause woot concern? I mean, if the shirt is always going to be around, won't it become a shrug and a "meh" to people?

Lastly, I worry the effect it will have on the artist's who sometimes rely on shirt sales to make ends meet. I think most of us are familiar with Haxrox and the Nevermore shirt stuff, as well as being aware of the fact that buying Unstealthiest Ninja shirts not only got us a cool shirt, but helped keep the Dooomkittens in diapers. Just some thoughts I have as I logged on to woot and saw the change.

Last lastly ( for now) During woot-offs, will the catalog go on sale, or just the top twenty?

I can't answer all your questions, but I'm going to give it a shot with the few that I can.

Once a shirt is Reckoned, it will go into the catalog. Orders at that time will be $18 and should be digitally printed.

Artists will still be receiving the same commission on these shirts whether in the Top 20 or the Catalog. I know catalog shirts are a bit more pricey, but that's because they actually cost us more to produce.

Random Shirts will still happen periodically, since we still have to turn over printed inventory. Our daily & Top 20 shirts are printed in large batches, so if we overestimate their popularity we still have to get them out of our warehouse somehow. It would be impractical to try to store them and wait for the stock to trickle out with catalog orders.

I think the Top 20 will still work as it was intended - the most popular shirts stick around at the lower $15 price point. I see what you mean about losing some of the steam of the "buying wars" or losing some urgency… but I don't think either of those things will ruin the Top 20. Maybe the dynamic will change a bit, though.

Artists will have more designs for sale now than ever before. They will have permanent links they can out up on their own sites to share their designs with their fans. Artists will be receiving commission on every shirt sold, forever. We think this is great for our artists.

I am pretty sure that the Woot Off sales will usually just be the Top 20, but we have changed that up from time to time in the past. We might shake things up once in a while.

ProfHotpants

bluejester wrote:Dark Side of Oz isn't in print? That's one that I really wanted to nab but was too broke to get, but it still isn't available...=(

That's a bug, I think. Will try to get it fixed ASAP.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

Heh! I totally called this! (About two weeks ago, I identified the shirt.woot "secret" project was entire-catalog-to-DTG; thanks to Slacker44 for the final piece of evidence!)

Very happy to see so many favorites available again. I hope this has a net benefit for the artists; it will likely spread out the commissions, but allow artists to continue earning commissions over a much longer period of time.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

I am curious about side sales. The C contracts gives you guys shirt rights for a year. Are you going to keep them off the catalog because it makes them more exclusive or because it's impractical? Any thoughts?

Actually I guess B contract too now that I think about it...

ProfHotpants

slacker44 wrote:Since there are now so many shirts available, how about a way to create some sort of wishlist to use when browsing?

This is an excellent idea.

neuropsychosocial

Fashionista was pulled mid-day for copyright reasons (rights-retained photos and clip art; it's all in the shirt thread), but it's available in the catalog... Oh, and One Cheer for Broccoli is also available; that was also pulled for copyright violations

[MOD: Fixed]

World Nom-ination is not available.

I know some shirts on "B" contracts aren't posted. Is there a way to tell which shirts are on "B" contracts? Do you want us to post about shirts that aren't available, like Funk Buddies?

ProfHotpants

rasabi wrote:I am curious about side sales. The C contracts gives you guys shirt rights for a year. Are you going to keep them off the catalog because it makes them more exclusive or because it's impractical? Any thoughts?

Actually I guess B contract too now that I think about it...

I really want to get B & C contract designs in the catalog. I think it would be excellent for our artists. Right now, it's not possible to manually keep track of the different expirations for those, but we are working on figuring out an automated process.

I'm sort of curious how many artists will want to use the B contract now that we have the catalog.

jrs1980

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jrs1980

This is the best/worst thing ever. Remember when you crawled under a stopped train and got grease all over the back of your favorite Woot Shirt? Or...wait, that was "I", not "you". I can now replace that!

Would like to see the orange shirts available on another color, even just white. Kitty Gratis was calling to me.

How hard was it for the Staff to keep this secret when every Plus sale has "I've been waiting for this on a tee, not a [tote, apron, sweatshirt]." comments?

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 538 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jrs1980 wrote:How hard was it for the Staff to keep this secret when every Plus sale has "I've been waiting for this on a tee, not a [tote, apron, sweatshirt]." comments?

Can't speak for the others but for me, it's been agonizing. With just about every post, I'd say outloud, "Soon. Soon. Just wait. Soon."

◄••• Click

ProfHotpants

neuropsychosocial wrote:Fashionista was pulled mid-day for copyright reasons (rights-retained photos and clip art; it's all in the shirt thread), but it's available in the catalog...

I know some shirts on "B" contracts aren't posted. Is there a way to tell which shirts are on "B" contracts? Do you want us to post about shirts that aren't available, like Funk Buddies?

Fashionista should not be available. I have contacted the Dev team.

I think Travis or I will have to check if something is a B contract. If you find shirts that aren't available that you think should be, PM me. Thanks for your help!

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness
ProfHotpants wrote:This is an excellent idea.

+1 to the wish for a wishlist; Already I have a window full of shirt tabs open for me to review later for possible purchasing.

neuropsychosocial

ProfHotpants wrote:Fashionista should not be available. I have contacted the Dev team.

What about One Cheer for Broccoli? And thanks for the quick action on Fashionista; it's already listed as out-of-print.

ETA: And One Cheer for Broccoli is gone too.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

neuropsychosocial wrote:What about One Cheer for Broccoli? And thanks for the quick action on Fashionista; it's already listed as out-of-print.

It should be listed as out of print now as well.

neuropsychosocial

tgentry wrote:It should be listed as out of print now as well.

Indeed it is! Thanks to you all (and the devs) for the quick response.

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
tgentry wrote:It should be listed as out of print now as well.

Thank you.

I've been playing with the search function with the artist's names ... on several searches, the last few that come up are NOT of that artist's. Running a search for 'patrickspens' yielded 'omarfeliciano' and 'WEAREYAWN' too. And while searching 'tgentry' and getting a 'chogentry' result is accurate, the 'Jimmy009' result is not.

What I do find strange is how some shirts are now unlinked from their discussion page, like Schrödinger’s Equation (I was looking up the color info.)

wanderbug2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wanderbug2

So, if something is on one of the other contracts, it won't show up in the listings under "all designs" at all? OR should it be there but "out of print" like ones that should never be available? Seems that if you're going to list the ones with copy issues as out of print, the others should show up as well? I couldn't find "When I Grow Up" at all.

neuropsychosocial

wanderbug2 wrote:So, if something is on one of the other contracts, it won't show up in the listings under "all designs" at all? OR should it be there but "out of print" like ones that should never be available? Seems that if you're going to list the ones with copy issues as out of print, the others should show up as well? I couldn't find "When I Grow Up" at all.

Shirts that only printed in the Woot Plus sales, like the Mentions of Honors and PURPLEPALOOZA shirts, aren't listed. I assumed it was because they're not part of the "catalog" in the same way as the Dailies/Derbies.

wanderbug2

quality posts: 6 Private Messages wanderbug2
neuropsychosocial wrote:Shirts that only printed in the Woot Plus sales, like the Mentions of Honors and PURPLEPALOOZA shirts, aren't listed. I assumed it was because they're not part of the "catalog" in the same way as the Dailies/Derbies.

ahhh...I'd forgotten the HM's were a side sale. thanks!

vivbot

quality posts: 29 Private Messages vivbot
skarsol wrote:Kinda sad knowing that I'm going to be seeing more of my older shirts around on other people now.

Same... I really liked the whole "limited" factor shirt.woot had going. This could be good for when someone spills bleach on a shirt from 5 years ago, but now most of my shirt collection won't be as special as it used to be :\ I'm okay with some of the changes that have been implemented recently but unfortunately, this one just bums me out.

fuacka

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fuacka

Great idea!

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis

Will there be any efforts made to reach out to folks with non-exclusive contracts to complete the catalog (except for the copyright violators, those bad bad children)? Or to reach out to the folks in side sales? I know there's thoughts of expanding this to be to Print on ALL of The Things, but getting some of that other stuff up would be nice. Also, I second the wootoff side sale. Or having a day where stuff is sold at a discounted price every so often.

ThunderThighs

Staff

vivbot wrote:Same... I really liked the whole "limited" factor shirt.woot had going. This could be good for when someone spills bleach on a shirt from 5 years ago, but now most of my shirt collection won't be as special as it used to be :\ I'm okay with some of the changes that have been implemented recently but unfortunately, this one just bums me out.

I think if you do the math, statistics, probability, or whatever is the correct term...

The number of designs for purchase
vs
The number of people purchasing
vs
The number of people in your area

I don't think you'll suddenly see everyone walking down the street wearing your shirt. Don't get me wrong, we'd love it if that happened some day but it's probably not gonna happen.

Now come on, go buy 3.

◄••• Click

neuropsychosocial

vivbot wrote:Same... I really liked the whole "limited" factor shirt.woot had going. This could be good for when someone spills bleach on a shirt from 5 years ago, but now most of my shirt collection won't be as special as it used to be :\

I've never seen anyone in the "wild" wearing Binge. I've never seen any shirt on the Favorites list in the wild. I just checked with Narf: he can't recall seeing any shirt on the Favorites list; he also can't recall having seen any shirt, regardless of how many shirts it sold, more than once.

trekmiss

quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss

Just The Two Of Us looks like a 2 for 1 deal, but I imagine they need to be split apart somehow or an extra option to select which shirt added.

ThunderThighs

Staff

trekmiss wrote:Just The Two Of Us looks like a 2 for 1 deal, but I imagine they need to be split apart somehow or an extra option to select which shirt added.

Good point. I've sent it in so the shirt staff can take a look. Thanks!

◄••• Click

jrs1980

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jrs1980
neuropsychosocial wrote:I've never seen anyone in the "wild" wearing Binge. I've never seen any shirt on the Favorites list in the wild. I just checked with Narf: he can't recall seeing any shirt on the Favorites list; he also can't recall having seen any shirt, regardless of how many shirts it sold, more than once.

I only see them at "nerd" events. Comic-Con, and then themed shirts at midnight movies, for example the yearly screening of Serenity... Just going to the zoo or eating out? Nah.

Pardon me, would you have any bags of crap?

trekmiss

Any chance of Be The Screaming Monkey being added to the catalog? It was my first Woot shirt.

bpr2

I do believe that this had metallic ink. The new printing can't do metallics yet.

trekmiss wrote:Any chance of Be The Screaming Monkey being added to the catalog? It was my first Woot shirt.

trekmiss

bpr2 wrote:I do believe that this had metallic ink. The new printing can't do metallics yet.

I don't remember it being metallic. I don't have it anymore or I'd go look. You could be right, though. Besides, the Kelly Green shirts they first used were a different color than the Kelly Green of the past few years. In fact, the specs on the shirt page calls it "Greenish" but I remember that greenish color being listed as Kelly Green for other shirts.

tabbyfoo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tabbyfoo
sunaness wrote:+1 to the wish for a wishlist; Already I have a window full of shirt tabs open for me to review later for possible purchasing.

You can't make a wishlist on woot, but I made one on pinterest...
http://pinterest.com/tabbyfoo/my-shirt-woot-wishlist/

trekmiss

tabbyfoo wrote:You can't make a wishlist on woot, but I made one on pinterest...
http://pinterest.com/tabbyfoo/my-shirt-woot-wishlist/

Great idea! I'm definitely going to do that.

bpr2

Any chance of this awesome, and very rare woot! shirt be reprinted?

bpr2

The woot! logo on the back is metallic. I just pulled mine out, and have discovered how worn out it is.

Would you like a picture?

trekmiss wrote:I don't remember it being metallic. I don't have it anymore or I'd go look. You could be right, though. Besides, the Kelly Green shirts they first used were a different color than the Kelly Green of the past few years. In fact, the specs on the shirt page calls it "Greenish" but I remember that greenish color being listed as Kelly Green for other shirts.

tabbyfoo

I would also like to request CARTS. I sometimes order lots of things, and sometimes credit card companies get weird about lots of things having lots of separate charges from the same vendor.

Search parameters are not perfect. I searched Octopus and Squid individually, and not all of the octopus and squid shirts we have are up there. Free Hugs, for example, doesn't come up. I know, it's a robot octopus, but it's still an octopus!

tabbyfoo

tabbyfoo wrote:
Search parameters are not perfect. I searched Octopus and Squid individually, and not all of the octopus and squid shirts we have are up there.

Kraken Bathtime is also not tagged as squid... maybe I have to search for kraken? :D

AAANNNND! There should be a category for puns. Because most of the shirts that I've bought for myself are visual puns or outright text puns. Like Metrognome, Ding, Dong the witch is dead, If I only had a brain, etc.

trekmiss

bpr2 wrote: The woot! logo on the back is metallic. I just pulled mine out, and have discovered how worn out it is.

Would you like a picture?

Nah, that's ok. I miss that shirt! I gave it away thinking it would never fit me (it was a 2X, because 3X wasn't available back then). It would be big on me, now, but wearable. I regret that decision so much, now.

bpr2

They DO pop up on eBay from time to time. Oddly enough, mostly in women's sizes.

trekmiss wrote:Nah, that's ok. I miss that shirt! I gave it away thinking it would never fit me (it was a 2X, because 3X wasn't available back then). It would be big on me, now, but wearable. I regret that decision so much, now.