djauhay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djauhay

Does anyone know what the digital printing feels like? Is it thick and stiff or soft and thin?

Narfcake

quality posts: 279 Private Messages Narfcake
ThunderThighs wrote:... One thing you might notice when you receive the shirt is a bit of a stronger smell from the pre-printing stuff that gets sprayed before printing to make sure everything sticks well. I know there's some technical term for it but darn if I can remember it.

Pretreatment. What DTG printer manufacturer is Woot using anyways? I'm guessing Anajet or Kornit for the speed ... and the latter I can definitely vouch about the vinegar-y smell of the pretreatment.

I barely noticed it but if you have a sensitive nose, consider this a heads up? It washed out with no problem.

It may be wise at first to include notes with the shirts about why there's a smell.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
djauhay wrote:Does anyone know what the digital printing feels like? Is it thick and stiff or soft and thin?

Since this seems to have launched just today, the only people who are likely to be able to weigh in are the staff (which is to say, the people who thought Anvil blanks were still pretty awesome and comparable to AA).

What I've noticed in DTG prints I've bought over the years, or had sent to me, there have been two basic styles... one is like if you were to use your printer on a piece of fabric. it feels pretty much like the shirt, but is faded and gets more so fairly quickly as you wash it, much in the same way a pen mark on a white shirt will fade, but paint caked onto it will not unless it eventually breaks down and chips off (as a screenprinted tee would do over time). The second type tends to be like a thin decal... it looks like any other print, but feels a little slick, a little stiff, and there's a shine to it if light hits it the wrong way. Printings like this, regardless of the method, are basically a never-again situation.

What woot's DTG is like obviously is up in the air, and will rely on people brave enough to buy, weigh in, and come back after a couple washes. It seems like lots of people are already doing so. Hopefully by cyber-monday, and the start of the Consumeristmas season, there will be enough data points to find out which type of process woot's using, or if they have some better/worse/different technology being brought to bear.

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

I don't wanna be "that guy" that repeatedly posts the same thing, but would just like to have a response from staff on this:

why isn't SEA CHIMP available?

I have a hard time understanding why, as it was already reprinted one time, so it can't be a licensing issue, can it??

It's by far my favorite woot design, and I would love to buy a couple more prints.

AdderXYU wrote:Goopy's second print, man-boy, is also listed as not being in print.

I think it's def. a licensing thing. Sea chimp was reprinted during the short lived "classics" program as a remix... was it reprinted in a side sale too? If not, I'm guessing, with only one reprint a week, they just called goopy on the phone, said "yo, bro, this is what we're gonna do," and got his permission for another limited run.

Remember, sea chimp was one of woot's first tees. Not at all shocked someone would be skeptical at first.

Really, though, I think woot coming clean about which tees are and aren't under different contracts (preferably on the product page post reckoning, or else as a little symbol in the corner, like how the derby shirts are marked). It neither harms their or their artists' credibility after the fact to say so, but it does save thousands of emails.

makes one wonder why both goopy's prints aren't available. But yeah, Sea Chimp has been reprinted - not the re-done "Space Chimp" remix, but it was actually reprinted as the original design.

I ordered one then, but would like a couple others.

staff comment, please??

kyl191

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kyl191

Not every shirt is in the catalog - http://shirt.woot.com/offers/house-of-malcontent doesn't appear when I search for bassanimation or house of malcontent.

Other out-of-print shirts at least show up in the catalog, no idea why that one's missing.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
badlass wrote:Why not put a reason on the shirt page itself? Eventually this thread will die down and someone new's going to ask about it.

I had two goals for creating this list: so that Travis, Joel, and Barbara wouldn't have to respond to 50 PMs asking if a given shirt should be available; and to distinguish between the shirts that are unavailable because they're on "B" or "C" contracts, and the shirts that are unavailable due to proven plagiarism.

My thought was to put the list some place where it's easy to find, so when someone asks "Why isn't x-shirt available?," anyone can grab the link easily and respond.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
tgentry wrote:
The other issue we faced is that some shirts, such as 'Make Your Own Luck,' share the same name. Our Cray Supercomputer didn't like this and tried to merge them into some horrible mutant hybrid design that should not and never be. I think we have most of those identified, they just have to be worked through the system now.

My design is fixed, thank you!

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51

No clue how many are affected, but the discussion pages are gone for two of my pages (Pumpkin Everything and In the Library with the Wrench).

xyon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xyon
neuropsychosocial wrote:The following shirts are listed as unavailable: should they be available?

Devostation (Devo Derby)
Quite Good (Devo Derby)
The End (Devo Derby)

If I recall correctly the Devo Derby was treated as a special event - the selection process was different than the normal at the time, no shirts from that derby were eligible for a second chance derby, etc.

The all designs section of the FAQ specifically mentions "limited-edition" designs as an exclusion. When I noticed the Devo designs weren't available I assumed they're what that referred to.

neuropsychosocial

Adder, thank you so much for your response and additions/corrections to my list. I suspected that most of the shirts on my original list were "B" contract, but I wanted public vetting to catch shirts that should have been available or "problematic" shirts, so thank you especially for noting plagiarism and contract violations.
xyon, thanks!

BootsBoots wrote: I selfishly looked at [Boots' shirts] first)

Hope you did - hope everyone else goes through their prints with a fine-tooth comb! The artists are in the best position to double-check their own catalog and update errors/changes.

ThunderThighs wrote:PS: I spotlighted your two lists posts so you can just keep updating them if you want.

Perfect! Thank you.

tgentry wrote:Thanks for the list NP... Most of these are as they should be. We have a way to do a dropdown choice for "duel shirts" such as 'Just the Two of Us' and 'Loves Me, Loves Me Not.' Those are being worked on so hopefully we'll have them up soon.

No problem! And thanks to you, Joel, Barbara, and the devs for making corrections so quickly.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

Noticed some extra designs appearing on artist searches. One of jlegos designs appears when looking up PixelPants, Patrickspens appears to have two extra designs and I think tgentry may even have one, unless he printed using the name Jimmy009.

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

Great shirt.woot. You have found yet another way to bankrupt me! But hey, who needs money for bills anyway?!

I'm going to go through the shirts categories slowly, so as not to overload my bank account.

This should be an interesting few weeks with the new print process and people getting these shirts. I'll behave for now...maybe...or...wait...not...

Crap, crap, crap!! I was going to behave, then I realized how badly I've been wanting 'The Artist' by trevorstearns. Bought without thinking twice.

thumperchick

quality posts: 233 Private Messages thumperchick

You guys may want to update the sales page for It Came Out of Nowhere - it still says heather grey, should say silver.

trekmiss

quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss
thumperchick wrote:You guys may want to update the sales page for It Came Out of Nowhere - it still says heather grey, should say silver.

Like the other heather gray shirts, it says silver at the top around the area where it gives the price and says printed to order. I don't think the descriptions have been updated yet.

newnie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages newnie

Do you want suggestions for additional tags?
I think Yeti & Robot should show up under the animals grouping.

thumperchick

quality posts: 233 Private Messages thumperchick
trekmiss wrote:Like the other heather gray shirts, it says silver at the top around the area where it gives the price and says printed to order. I don't think the descriptions have been updated yet.

How sad is it that I looked at that before, then again 3 more times after reading your comment, before I saw it?

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
PixelPants wrote:Noticed some extra designs appearing on artist searches. One of jlegos designs appears when looking up PixelPants, Patrickspens appears to have two extra designs and I think tgentry may even have one, unless he printed using the name Jimmy009.

he did. And it's the one that's listed.

I wasn't here pre-shirt, so I don't know the reasoning exactly, but I think he was notorious then for photochop contest success, and the different handle was for a reason along those lines.

leommj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leommj
ThunderThighs wrote:I'm sorry but we don't have a cart to load up on purchases with one shipping fee.

But is creating a cart a possibility in the near future? Now that you have this huge catalogue available, you should really think about it, it would really help your customers.

computermd82

quality posts: 31 Private Messages computermd82

I haven't seen this shirt mentioned, it's one of my favorites and I don't see it in the catalog:

Global Thermonuclear War

I received this in the first set of Randoms I bought and always wanted another.

V'Owl Birthday of Celebrations GIVEAWAY!!!!
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

Darquis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages Darquis
computermd82 wrote:I haven't seen this shirt mentioned, it's one of my favorites and I don't see it in the catalog:

Global Thermonuclear War

I received this in the first set of Randoms I bought and always wanted another.

I believe Ken Jennings printed that one as..I forget but it didn't win any things

kajitou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kajitou

Sorry if this has been asked before... (there's a lot of posts)
Are there going to be new prints of long-sleeved shirts? If so, can we get a "sort by type" setup? I have a lot of t-shirts now, but it's cold here and I could use some awesome long-sleeves.

neuropsychosocial

kajitou wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before... (there's a lot of posts)
Are there going to be new prints of long-sleeved shirts?

Not yet; woot said they want to make sure they get the t-shirts right first. I assume the eventual goal is to expand to long-sleeves, hoodies, etc., but it may take some time.

jebouche

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jebouche

I don't see Noah's grill http://shirt.woot.com/offers/noahs-grill here at all, nor is it covered in any of Neuropsychosocial's lists. Any thoughts on that one?

goldfndr

quality posts: 1 Private Messages goldfndr
anonymose wrote:I have one question:

What does this little blue and white shirt trophy thingy mean?

jezebelseven wrote:It means it was a derby winner.

While this overlay does indicate a derby winner, lack thereof (as of this posting) does not necessarily indicate a daily. For example, in the Animals category, Generowl Von Hootte and Dr. Mus musculus and Woodland Rescue were Derby winners but don't have an overlay. One can easily spot Derby winner overlays (e.g. Chump+Chimp+Champ in one row) in the Animals category on page 2 (although at least Break Free doesn't have it).

newnie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages newnie
neuropsychosocial wrote:Not yet; woot said they want to make sure they get the t-shirts right first. I assume the eventual goal is to expand to long-sleeves, hoodies, etc., but it may take some time.

I'd like to expand on NP's "etc" and remind everyone of tank tops! Yesterday was the first day in Houston this fall that I didn't wear a tank top outside afterwork! So there is definitely a lot of people who can get use out of tanks almost year round! But also longsleeve shirts too because I'm cold blooded when I'm not working out :D

meandsecoya

quality posts: 11 Private Messages meandsecoya

I'd like the second (third? fourth?) the suggestion of adding a 'shopping cart' for shirts. While you may not be able to do one price shipping for shirts on multiple shirts together internationally, I would think that it would be cheaper for shirt.woot, and they'd lose less money, if they could fill domestic shirt orders together rather than sending out multiple shipments. Last month, I ordered three shirts one day and it shipped in three separate packages. To me, that just seems to be such a waste. I guess shirt.woot has its reasons for doing it this way, but a cart would seem so much more practical.

cjupiter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cjupiter

My first Woot shirt was Be The Screaming Monkey. I still have it, still wear it, and have a second (albeit a larger size) in the package if mine ever wears out.

I was here for Shirt.woot's inception and apparently amassed more than I realized. During a recent move I packed a full box of unworn shirts stored in the plastic shipping bags and two drawers full of ones I wear frequently.

I am going to wait a bit before getting some of the shirts I wanted and missed (like Tuesday Is Gonna Be Rough) and let the Woot gods work out the bugs. I plan to replace some of my favorites too.

Dammit Woot!

I even buy the Cr@p that ISN'T random.

devrose

quality posts: 0 Private Messages devrose

Has there been any testing about how the digitally printed shirts hold up over time (through how many washings, etc.)?

thegeekbenni

quality posts: 2 Private Messages thegeekbenni

There have already been a few similar posts in this thread, but is there any chance we might see an option for different styles of shirts (v-neck, long sleeve, etc.) for print on demand, or will those still be relegated to weekly specials?

neuropsychosocial

thegeekbenni wrote:There have already been a few similar posts in this thread, but is there any chance we might see an option for different styles of shirts (v-neck, long sleeve, etc.) for print on demand, or will those still be relegated to weekly specials?

"Any chance"? Yes, but not yet; woot said they want to make sure they get the t-shirts right first. I assume the eventual goal is to expand options to include other items, but it may take some time.

citizencoyote

quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
ochopika wrote:Maybe the new prints can have a different tag than the originals? That might be kind of a hassle... but just a thought. This can make sure that woot collectors' original shirts still feel valuable.

The AA blank shirts will still be "collectible."

BootsBoots

quality posts: 36 Private Messages BootsBoots
neuropsychosocial wrote:Hope you did - hope everyone else goes through their prints with a fine-tooth comb! The artists are in the best position to double-check their own catalog and update errors/changes.

Oh, well in that case... Woot-fixing-people, these four designs come up when I search for myself: Galaxy, Relative Dimensions, Bearloons, Traveling on the Speed of Sound. Three of them have made friends with my designs and are getting along with them quite nicely, but that Tardis is getting a complex hanging out on my page. ;)

Also (while you're graciously taking my demands), if you want to offer "Don't Look Back I've Got You," it wont suffer from the lack of metallic ink. I used it very minimally, and only because it was a requirement in the derby.

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
citizencoyote wrote:The AA blank shirts will still be "collectible."

True dat. I would pay $20 for an AA option!

hollowfyre

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hollowfyre

I may be one of the only people who doesn't like this =/ I liked the fact the shirts were only available for the limited amount of time that they remain in the reckoning. It made having one more special. Now that I know I can get it any time I want and that anyone can now go back and order any shirt I've bought it destroys the uniqueness of owning a shirt that was only on sale for a limited time. =[ Oh well...glad most people are happy with the change though lol

skrag

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skrag
cengland0 wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if some of the designs allowed you to put it on any color shirt of your choice? Since these are printed to order, why not?

+1

boberta8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages boberta8

Will we be able to have the designs digitally printed on other options besides tees? for instance, apron or tote?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
boberta8 wrote:Will we be able to have the designs digitally printed on other options besides tees? for instance, apron or tote?

Shirts for now, but that's a good idea for the future...

I'm just hanging out, really.

spilzer

quality posts: 119 Private Messages spilzer
amthoma16 wrote:I've been waiting so long for this!! But I can't find BootsBoots' Ninja Pirate Robot Zombie (http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/52078/ninja-pirate-robot-zombie)

Any idea why? I'd love to purchase.

Thanks for your time!

'Tis available here: Boots Tees

reporterbabe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages reporterbabe

Another missing shirt, my daughter's favorite:

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/not-what-i-meant

chellemonkey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chellemonkey
hollowfyre wrote:I may be one of the only people who doesn't like this =/ I liked the fact the shirts were only available for the limited amount of time that they remain in the reckoning. It made having one more special. Now that I know I can get it any time I want and that anyone can now go back and order any shirt I've bought it destroys the uniqueness of owning a shirt that was only on sale for a limited time. =[ Oh well...glad most people are happy with the change though lol

I came here expecting an outcry of angry wooters. I also am a little sad to see this.I know I will end up buying less because it isn't a "hurry, before the one I want leaves" thing anymore.