+ Add a Comment

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
vielleicht wrote:If a tee is marked "out of print", this means it's either printed on a discontinued blank color, with special ink, or can't be run for some kind of copyright reason, right? (It's mostly the latter that I'm curious about, as some like Family Breakfast are "out of print" and copyright is the only explanation I can think of?)

I'm guessing you have Lucas Films/Disney to thank for that one.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 32 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Well, if Boots is making demands then I may as well make some too. The following designs are derby winners but do not have that cool derby logo on them. Just wondering if that means they won't be included in a search for derby designs.
Procrastination University
Reduce, Reuse, Reargyle
LHC Cafe
Curiosity
The Elemental Eatery

I won't mind if this one gets offered without metallic ink. I didn't sub it with the metallic ink option and would love to see it printed with the original colors.
Ride the Magic Rails

Jestik

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik

I don't wanna be "that guy" that repeatedly posts the same thing, but would just like to have a response from staff on this:

why isn't SEA CHIMP available?

I have a hard time understanding why, as it was already reprinted one time, so it can't be a licensing issue, can it??

It's by far my favorite woot design, and I would love to buy a couple more prints.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
RWoodward wrote:I'm guessing you have Lucas Films/Disney to thank for that one.

Yeah with Disney now in control of Star Wars I would expect to see them come down hard on anyone trying to use it. We have them to thank for pretty much all of the massive overreaches of copyright protection over the years. I think they would sacrifice all of the younglings so that no one else could ever use Mickey.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
RWoodward wrote:I'm guessing you have Lucas Films/Disney to thank for that one.

No,it's available to buy.

mrwednesday wrote:Yeah with Disney now in control of Star Wars I would expect to see them come down hard on anyone trying to use it. We have them to thank for pretty much all of the massive overreaches of copyright protection over the years. I think they would sacrifice all of the younglings so that no one else could ever use Mickey.

Disney doesn't seem to enforce their Pixar (or similar) properties anywhere near as hard as they do for Mickey and his ilk.

move along

arryielle

quality posts: 6 Private Messages arryielle

So... if we ordered a shirt early Monday morning when it said it would ship in 3-5 days, is that still the case? I notice now when I look, they're all going to be shipping in 14-16 days...

My shirts available on Teetrade and WootStalker!

thumperchick

quality posts: 234 Private Messages thumperchick
arryielle wrote:So... if we ordered a shirt early Monday morning when it said it would ship in 3-5 days, is that still the case? I notice now when I look, they're all going to be shipping in 14-16 days...

I would think the earlier orders should ship in the timeframe quoted when you ordered - the extended timeframes are the "line" for orders to get printed and shipped. (But my guesses don't count as fact since I have no flashy "staff" box.)

emullally

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emullally

Can't remember the name of the 8 bit dancer a'la Michael Jackson....its my sons favorite....don't see it?

slacker44

quality posts: 7 Private Messages slacker44
emullally wrote:Can't remember the name of the 8 bit dancer a'la Michael Jackson....its my sons favorite....don't see it?

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/1982-ah-hee-hee

You are lucky! It's actually in the 8-Bits of Fun side sale going on right now!

http://shirt.woot.com/plus/8-bits-of-fun

imsochady

quality posts: 24 Private Messages imsochady

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

arryielle wrote:So... if we ordered a shirt early Monday morning when it said it would ship in 3-5 days, is that still the case? I notice now when I look, they're all going to be shipping in 14-16 days...

That should be the case with the earlier orders going out first. It'd be nice if you gave us a day or two leway on that, of course.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

emeycakes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages emeycakes

Woot. This is so awesome. I looked at every single page of shirts yesterday... Alas, haters is on its way to me. I just love the strut! Debating 1984: Duck Hunt but the brown shirt color is just so ugly. Love the angry duck though!

SevenStarSonata

quality posts: 1 Private Messages SevenStarSonata

I'm honestly very sad...the very first thing I thought when I saw this was "Onerous Massive Family Gathering!!! I can finally get the World Nomination shirt!!!!". My boyfriend has it and of all the shirts that have ever passed through Woot, that's the one I wanted the most. So imagine my utter disappointment when I saw the "out of print" label on a catalog full of printed-to-order shirts...

I know why it's not being re-offered. I've read the whole discussion thread about it. But it doesn't make it any less frustrating. There's several other shirts that were closer to "copying" than "remixing", including one that's still being offered for print:

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/hard-but-not-impossible

http://survivingtheworld.spreadshirt.com/happiness-women-s-A6710973/customize/color/376

That's pretty darn close, too, but you don't see anyone up in arms about it. =/ The art was still original, if the concept wasn't, and I still see inherent value in the shirt...

But that's my two cents. I know it's not going to change anything, I just had to get that out there.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
SevenStarSonata wrote:I'm honestly very sad...the very first thing I thought when I saw this was "Onerous Massive Family Gathering!!! I can finally get the World Nomination shirt!!!!". My boyfriend has it and of all the shirts that have ever passed through Woot, that's the one I wanted the most. So imagine my utter disappointment when I saw the "out of print" label on a catalog full of printed-to-order shirts...

I know why it's not being re-offered. I've read the whole discussion thread about it. But it doesn't make it any less frustrating. There's several other shirts that were closer to "copying" than "remixing", including one that's still being offered for print:

http://survivingtheworld.spreadshirt.com/happiness-women-s-A6710973/customize/color/376

That's pretty darn close, too, but you don't see anyone up in arms about it. =/ The art was still original, if the concept wasn't, and I still see inherent value in the shirt...

But that's my two cents. I know it's not going to change anything, I just had to get that out there.

1) Probable cause. There is every reason to believe "artist" 1 saw the original from "artist" 2, because they work the same events (events populated by "artists" who sell other people's characters as if they are theirs to draw and profit from, which is basically not a glowing recommendation of integrity to start with).

2) Significantly more similarity with significantly more specific elements. The two you list are not particularly complex concepts, yet are still different (the message of the one being "unclutter your way to happiness" and the other being "happiness is hard to reach but worth it"). Inane as Nom-ination was, and as non-concept as it was, the idea was VERY specific, yet vague enough that it could have been done in any manner of ways other than a cat positioned on a planet in that manner.

3) Even presuming the tee you cite, and any other you might see as offending more, are indeed more similar (which I think in the noted instance is fairly blatantly untrue), your argument is "these people are cheating and getting away with it, so all people should be able to BECAUSE I WANT IT." That's saying a murderer uncaught should be precedent for releasing all others. Or, if you prefer something more trivial than copyright infringement, it's suggesting that you should get over your mate cheating on you and get back together with him, because some other guys haven't been caught yet.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 210 Private Messages Spiritgreen

I can't imagine how much work has gone on behind the scenes to make this happen. Glad to see it's being received so well!

One observation, Brain Sports is currently missing from the catalog. (The other shirts a week before and after it all seem to be present.)

newnie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages newnie
SevenStarSonata wrote:I'm honestly very sad...the very first thing I thought when I saw this was "Onerous Massive Family Gathering!!! I can finally get the World Nomination shirt!!!!". My boyfriend has it and of all the shirts that have ever passed through Woot, that's the one I wanted the most. So imagine my utter disappointment when I saw the "out of print" label on a catalog full of printed-to-order shirts...

And I'm the opposite. I'm pissed that they are offering sekiyoku's other designs at all.

yellowflower

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yellowflower

Another request! This one isn't about sorting options, I promise.

As I was browsing through, I realized something that is often a make-or-break deal for me is missing.

A picture of the graphic on a men's shirt and on a women's shirt. I realize this would probably take a huuuuuuge amount of time, but eventually (or maybe just starting with new prints at some point in the near future?) I would love to see this. I just don't wear shirts with huge graphics, and there have been several that I've passed on because I wasn't sure how big it would end up being on a women's size.

I know the measurements are there, but my brain just doesn't work that way. In order to make the graphic measurements functional for me, I would literally have to get out a shirt and a ruler. My desire to be lazy seems to always win out over this option, and thus my bank account stays slightly more full that day.

anterapooh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages anterapooh

I LOVE that they've added the all designs...but am I the only one who wishes we could order the long sleeve tees, hoodies, bags, etc. at extra cost on the old ones?

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51
yellowflower wrote:Another request! This one isn't about sorting options, I promise.

As I was browsing through, I realized something that is often a make-or-break deal for me is missing.

A picture of the graphic on a men's shirt and on a women's shirt. I realize this would probably take a huuuuuuge amount of time, but eventually (or maybe just starting with new prints at some point in the near future?) I would love to see this. I just don't wear shirts with huge graphics, and there have been several that I've passed on because I wasn't sure how big it would end up being on a women's size.

I know the measurements are there, but my brain just doesn't work that way. In order to make the graphic measurements functional for me, I would literally have to get out a shirt and a ruler. My desire to be lazy seems to always win out over this option, and thus my bank account stays slightly more full that day.

The image is more or less to show placement and give a general idea of how it would look. They don't resize the image for each shirt size; you usually see two or three print sizes across all shirt sizes. So a graphic on a WXL would look smaller than a graphic on a WS.

yellowflower

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yellowflower
kevlar51 wrote:The image is more or less to show placement and give a general idea of how it would look. They don't resize the image for each shirt size; you usually see two or three print sizes across all shirt sizes. So a graphic on a WXL would look smaller than a graphic on a WS.

No, but they do list different sizes for the women's shirts than for the rest of the shirts. Take today's, for example.

Design Size:
3X - S: 9” x 10.2”
WXL - K4: 6.75” x 7.65”

Any women's sized shirt I get, the graphic is going to be smaller than any men's sized shirt I get, despite the fact that a men's small might fit me similarly to a women's medium, or something like that. The difficult part is to try and figure out how that is going to line up with... ah... different parts of the body. There was one shirt that I really loved... Relay... I loved that shirt. Even though in the picture it was on incorrect blanks (I think?) you can see the difference. In the men's shirt, the graphic starts a little closer to the neck and ends a little higher on the body. In the women's shirt... well, to me it just looked like it would be pointing out how much of a lady I am. Like, "let me draw your attention now to two of the places that will showcase what a lady I am!" In theory, I could have just gotten the men's shirt, but again, the way it sits on a female body is going to be different than the way it sits on a male body.

While this is the opposite of what I hope having an image displayed would generally do for me, in this particular case it kept me from spending money on a shirt I would never, ever wear, despite how pretty I thought it looked when it wasn't on my body. Now, throw this on the back of a lightweight hoodie, and I am in for one... the problem is not the design, the problem is the way graphics are sized differently on a woman's shirt and sit differently on a woman's body.

(Edit... did that shirt ever make it to print? I feel like it did. Was it a side sale? I didn't find it when I searched in the catalog, so I'm assuming either my memory is wrong and it didn't print, or it was in a side sale.)

786jbrown74

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 786jbrown74

EVERY SHIRTALMOST) EVERY SHIRT... EXCEPT THE ONE I WANT!!!!!!! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!!!!!!! THATS MESSED UP!!!!!!!!!!! GIVE ME MY BUNNY SHIRT WOOT!!!!!!!!!! YOU SUCK

goneferal

quality posts: 18 Private Messages goneferal
anterapooh wrote:I LOVE that they've added the all designs...but am I the only one who wishes we could order the long sleeve tees, hoodies, bags, etc. at extra cost on the old ones?

You are not alone.

Jestik

AdderXYU

yellowflower wrote:Another request! This one isn't about sorting options, I promise.

This would be a super idea. It would give an idea of what the DTG print job looks like for each tee, and with a permanent collection, they could simply take pics of the tees as they print them, and it won't be the high labor for low effectiveness that trying to photograph tees that may last only a week would be. Of course, that leads to the question of "what happens if the prints aren't as good as they claim," which could be dangerous for the experiment.

Jestik wrote:why isn't SEA CHIMP available?

Jestik, sir, you've been here the whole time I have. You know deep down that expecting woot to answer questions is difficult on even the most important issues.

Jestik

AdderXYU wrote:Jestik, sir, you've been here the whole time I have. You know deep down that expecting woot to answer questions is difficult on even the most important issues.

yeah, I know it's rather pointless, and an exercise in futility.

I just find it completely frustrating/ insulting that I know they see my posted questions, but they go ignored and unanswered. It's a simple question, really, and I wouldn't think "Sea Chimp" is a huge trade secret that they can't speak of.

There are plenty of other designs that I'm really glad they made available, and I'm grateful for that. I just need to decide if $18 a pop on Anvil blanks is worth it for those. But, for Sea Chimp or other long-sought-after shirts, I'd pay the money no question. I just would like an answer as to why it's not available NOW, when they had reprinted the shirt twice earlier.

but, whatever.

AdderXYU

Jestik wrote:yeah, I know it's rather pointless, and an exercise in futility.

I just find it completely frustrating/ insulting that I know they see my posted questions, but they go ignored and unanswered. It's a simple question, really, and I wouldn't think "Sea Chimp" is a huge trade secret that they can't speak of.

There are plenty of other designs that I'm really glad they made available, and I'm grateful for that. I just need to decide if $18 a pop on Anvil blanks is worth it for those. But, for Sea Chimp or other long-sought-after shirts, I'd pay the money no question. I just would like an answer as to why it's not available NOW, when they had reprinted the shirt twice earlier.

but, whatever.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't, and think it would be incredibly beneficial to mention why tees aren't available. Orange ones are sort of obvious, if canned vegetablesntable. GITD and Specialty Inks, as well, though many of the former and all of the latter would work just as well with non-specialty inks with just a little discussion with the original designers (let's be honest, 404 heart not found didn't look too sparkly on the flat raster graphic onscreen when people clicked for it). But for others, while we can presume contract issues, it would save SO MUCH TIME if woot explained.

But you're a good man and I would hate to see your head explode over something so futile as waiting for a woot explanation. I'm still waiting to figure out why but srsly itz mai pumpkin was different enough to not be re-rejected.

I wonder if they've spoken to people who signed up for the "b" contract in the lead-up to this. I wager there are some people who would happily sign the "a" in hindsight knowing their work would be in a permanent catalog now as opposed to lost to the ether in (let's be honest for most shirts) about a week.

todaresq

quality posts: 75 Private Messages todaresq

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Man, I am so super excited about this. There are so many shirts I've wanted from back before I joined woot's hallowed halls...tubes...whatever.

It will take some time for me to decide which shirts I want to blow my paycheck on...

EDIT: Wow. There must be some huge demand here. Shipping is up to a 20-22 day wait!

polluxoil

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polluxoil

I haven't bought a Woot shirt since they switched to Anvil, but this is probably the only way they're going to get my money.

I've got a BootsBoots (Something I Must Do), two patrickspens shirts (Goldfish of Doom, Harvest Traditions), and three Drakxxx shirts (Dragon Slayer, I MET SYSTEM I, Steamworks Operatica) that I have to get, Anvil or otherwise.

Well done woot.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
newnie wrote:And I'm the opposite. I'm pissed that they are offering sekiyoku's other designs at all.

There are two other artists caught plagiarizing who still have other shirts for sale here - one even has had Woot Plus reprints(!).

For those who haven't heard the background: sekiyoku/Sylvia Shi bought a sticker from an artist at an "Artists' Alley" - with a number of witnesses observing - and then plagiarized the design for a Derby entry. (The story starts here - note that tgentry was not woot staff at the time, so although his posts in that thread show up with the "staff" bar, he's posting as a fellow artist, not an official woot response.) Although this was the first time that a print of hers was pulled after placing in a Derby, it was not the first time that a design of hers was wicked similar to someone else's art.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
fishbiscuit5 wrote:Well, if Boots is making demands then I may as well make some too.

Maybe think of them as corrections rather than "demands"? It's in both the artists' and woot's best interest to get information correct.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

ellegee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ellegee
neuropsychosocial wrote:There are two other artists caught plagiarizing who still have other shirts for sale here - one even has had Woot Plus reprints(!).

For those who haven't heard the background: sekiyoku/Sylvia Shi bought a sticker from an artist at an "Artists' Alley" - with a number of witnesses observing - and then plagiarized the design for a Derby entry. (The story starts here - note that tgentry was not woot staff at the time, so although his posts in that thread show up with the "staff" bar, he's posting as a fellow artist, not an official woot response.) Although this was the first time that a print of hers was pulled after placing in a Derby, it was not the first time that a design of hers was wicked similar to someone else's art.

Who are the other two?

jcflman

quality posts: 17 Private Messages jcflman

Since no one has asked, why isn't SEA CHIMP available? I kid, I kid. Don't hurt me. :D

This is awesome! Going to purchase Duck Hunt eventually.

Narfcake

quality posts: 280 Private Messages Narfcake
ellegee wrote:Who are the other two?

Cheesesandwich is one of the other for her 'One Cheer for Broccoli'. Start reading ... here. Alas, that one set precedence for this offender ...

Neuro has been keeping track of the 'out of print' shirts and their reason(s) here ... thanks, Neuro!

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
jcflman wrote:Since no one has asked, why isn't SEA CHIMP available? I kid, I kid. Don't hurt me. :D

Yeah, we know you had to go there.

I'm just hanging out, really.

Narfcake

More search weirdness ... Chogentry entries don't all show up when searching for TGentry or jamescho84, which don't all show up when searching for James Cho.

I also wonder if adding the keyword 'Boots' for BootsBoots designs would be helpful too, as someone searching boots boots (with a space) wouldn't yield any of her designs.

(Feel free to delete this post after it has been addressed.)

Narfcake

They're noting that the shipping is now 24-26 business days ... I think the DTG printer is essentially booked into 2013 now! If you want them to arrive by Christmas via SnailPost now, it's probably NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

I recall them mentioning back when they increased screen printing capacity (debut day sellout) that it was by running a second shift. So going on 60 prints/hour on say a dual platen Kornit Avalanche (just guessing the model, that's all) ... 16 hours/day ... 24,000 shirt sales since Sunday sounds surreal.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
Narfcake wrote:They're noting that the shipping is now 24-26 business days ... I think the DTG printer is essentially booked into 2013 now! If you want them to arrive by Christmas via SnailPost now, it's probably NOT GONNA HAPPEN!

I recall them mentioning back when they increased screen printing capacity (debut day sellout) that it was by running a second shift. So going on 60 prints/hour on say a dual platen Kornit Avalanche (just guessing the model, that's all) ... 16 hours/day ... 24,000 shirt sales since Sunday sounds surreal.

But it definitely seems believable. I was perusing many shirts and it seems that there are very few shirts that have not been selling since this new option was revealed. I think Woot must be making a killing off of this right now.

What I wonder is how having the whole catalogue available will affect sales of new shirts. Will we see a dropoff in sales, or is Woot simply capitalizing on the "I wish this shirt was still available" desires of the community?

trekmiss

quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss

Hopefully this is bringing new jobs to the area, including some QC people with good eyes. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, and how the finished products look. I'm also interested to see how it goes after the newness dies down.

ETA: It was probably wise of Woot not to add any additional options (like long sleeves, hoodies, etc.) while this initial rush is going on. Those options, and others that have been requested, can bring another sales boost in the future.

Narfcake

tjschaeffer wrote:But it definitely seems believable. I was perusing many shirts and it seems that there are very few shirts that have not been selling since this new option was revealed. I think Woot must be making a killing off of this right now.

There's still the capital investment to pay off first, but indeed, many many designs have sold since. It's actually a good thing to see all the 'last Wooter' statuses I've lost, as that means the artist is making money once again.

What I wonder is how having the whole catalogue available will affect sales of new shirts. Will we see a dropoff in sales, or is Woot simply capitalizing on the "I wish this shirt was still available" desires of the community?

If this brings new Wooters in, and everything goes smoothly, then it would be a net positive in the longer term.