tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

jcflman wrote:Since no one has asked, why isn't SEA CHIMP available? I kid, I kid. Don't hurt me. :D

This is awesome! Going to purchase Duck Hunt eventually.



Looks like Sea Chimp was originally a B contract. I think they redid it as a remix at one point, which kind of confuses things. In setting up the catalog we excluded all B contracts, regardless of when and how they've been featured.

It's possible we can work with B contract artists that still want their designs for sale in the catalog, but that discussion/decision may come after this initial rush has died down a bit.

odysseyroc


quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
tgentry wrote:Looks like Sea Chimp was originally a B contract. I think they redid it as a remix at one point, which kind of confuses things. In setting up the catalog we excluded all B contracts, regardless of when and how they've been featured.

It's possible we can work with B contract artists that still want their designs for sale in the catalog, but that discussion/decision may come after this initial rush has died down a bit.



any chance of adding C contract stuff into the catalog? I know at least a handful of us would be interested in having our C designs for sale.





Jestik


quality posts: 50 Private Messages Jestik
tgentry wrote:Looks like Sea Chimp was originally a B contract. I think they redid it as a remix at one point, which kind of confuses things. In setting up the catalog we excluded all B contracts, regardless of when and how they've been featured.

It's possible we can work with B contract artists that still want their designs for sale in the catalog, but that discussion/decision may come after this initial rush has died down a bit.



thank you Travis! I really appreciate your commenting on this.

As clarification, there was the original Sea Chimp printing in 2007, then they did a re-mix version (Sea Chimp in Space), in September 2009, THEN woot did another reprinting of the original version just in June of this year.

That's why I'm so puzzled. You guys have printed it three times, with the most recent being only a few months ago. So it's weird that it's not included in this new catalog.


?




rockymike


quality posts: 16 Private Messages rockymike

Along with this, you should start selling the blanks again. Sadly, I think that is still my favorite side sale.

Yeah, so there's that...

fishbiscuit5


quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5
odysseyroc wrote:any chance of adding C contract stuff into the catalog? I know at least a handful of us would be interested in having our C designs for sale.



Seconded!



ochopika


quality posts: 27 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

fishbiscuit5 wrote:Seconded!



Thirded!

sonnybunny55


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonnybunny55

Thank you Shirt.Woot! One thing I noticed is that when I select the Art category and then brown for color, it shows a page 2 available but it takes you back to main. Are there supposed to be more designs there?

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Narfcake wrote:Cheesesandwich is one of the other for her 'One Cheer for Broccoli'. Start reading ... here. Alas, that one set precedence for this offender ...



Also, both Joshua Kemble and Joby Cummings.

The major difference, of course, is that there are no entire weblogs available about how either of them, along with their partner, have been into plagiarism and rulebreaking for years before getting into shirts. But rules is rules, and I would see no harm in banishing all work from an artist once their work was proven undeniably plagiarized. That seems only fair.

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
Jestik wrote:thank you Travis! I really appreciate your commenting on this.

As clarification, there was the original Sea Chimp printing in 2007, then they did a re-mix version (Sea Chimp in Space), in September 2009, THEN woot did another reprinting of the original version just in June of this year.

That's why I'm so puzzled. You guys have printed it three times, with the most recent being only a few months ago. So it's weird that it's not included in this new catalog.


?

Anything printed under a "B" contract is unavailable in the catalog, regardless of when it printed most recently. Earlier in the thread, Barbara (ProfHotPants) said this was because shirt.woot doesn't have a mechanism for keeping track of when woot's rights to a given design expire, so all "B" contracts are unavailable.

She and Travis both mentioned that they'd like to make "B" contract shirts available at some point, but I suspect this project has taken the better part of eighteen months, and they're getting clobbered right now, so adding the "B" and "C" contract shirts might not happen until next year [although shirt.woot will be down one staff member for at least a few months in early 2013 ] - but I suspect we'll see them available at some point when woot has a chance to renegotiate the contracts.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
AdderXYU wrote:Also, both Joshua Kemble and Joby Cummings. ...


... and Jean-Baptiste Panos and Willy Piva. The thing is that both WN and OCFB made it out to print/ship, whereas the other four did not. The legal stakes were much higher for that.

Back to something more cheery - of the 25 'last Wooter to Woot' that I had, only 3 still remain ... and I wholeheartedly expect to lose at least one of those three in a future side-sale. Congrats to the artists for all the additional sales!

DoOomcat
Lucky1988
Bassanimation
Coffeybean
Robbie Lee
DiJay
SpecsMachine
PatrickSpens
Aled Lewis
OmarFeliciano
RamyB
Ochopika
Walmazan
Spiritgreen
Leon Ryan

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Narfcake wrote:... and Jean-Baptiste Panos and Willy Piva. The thing is that both WN and OCFB made it out to print/ship, whereas the other four did not. The legal stakes were much higher for that.



I forgot about Piva, but in Panos' case, I don't think he HAD any other shirts to sell, so we have the infamous "don't get your panties in a bunch" tee, which is not for sale, but he's not making any more money here either way.

Not that "lurker" is likely to bring in any sales for Piva.

Though you're right, the stakes for one cheer and nom-ination were also far higher

februarystar27


quality posts: 0 Private Messages februarystar27

I was searching to see when my Who-themed shirt was originally on sale, and one thing I noticed--sorry if this has been mentioned in the couple pages of the thread I haven't been able to read--is that searching for "Doctor Who" vs. "Dr. Who" yields different results:


Doctor Who:
Surfer Who?
Watch the Doctor
Relative Dimensions
The Great Whodini

Dr. Who:
Who Needs Gravity?
Watch the Doctor
Two Fish Who Are Red and Blue (probably tagged as Dr. Seuss, but maybe the "Dr." and "Seuss" got separated into two tags?)
It Came Out of Nowhere
Curiousest

zavn


quality posts: 2 Private Messages zavn

What about the plain colored t-shirts you had a while back? Those are my favorite shirts I've bought from Woot...

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
rockymike wrote:Along with this, you should start selling the blanks again. Sadly, I think that is still my favorite side sale.



zavn wrote:What about the plain colored t-shirts you had a while back? Those are my favorite shirts I've bought from Woot...


You can still buy those, in all 21 colors that shirt.woot has ever offered (and 30 more that Woot did not offer), over here for the same $18 (but plus shipping).

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake

On the previous token of "same name, different shirts, one is missing" ...

Walmazan's Laundry Day
BootsBoots & Kelly Snaps' Laundry Day

Also, another "different artist name search, different search results" ...

edgarrmcherly
Edgar R. McHerly

Previous post still hasn't been addressed yet, BTW.

(Feel free to delete this post after corrections have been made.)

AGrant311


quality posts: 4 Private Messages AGrant311

Okay, when folks start getting their shirts, please post on quality, shipping time, etc. I was thinking of ordering some for Christmas presents; I did indeed order two (22 days estimated shipping). Wanted to see quality before ordering more, but now I'm wondering if they'll ship in time...

amhansonmn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages amhansonmn

I remember a couple of designs that I cannot find and I have looked through all 48 pages of the catalog for them. I think they were called "Darth Meow" and "Jabba the Fluff". Anybody know why these are not available?

neuropsychosocial wrote:The following shirts are listed as unavailable: should they be available?
Meh
Onward Robots
Herd? What Herd?
Sniffing Glue
Robo-City
Control Yourself
Bird-Powered Robot
Fresh Ideas
Mister Poe's Guilt Trip
When Donuts Fly
Man-Boy
Oh Well

In the queue to update as available:
Loves Me, Loves Me Not
Just the Two of Us (Derby)

Edits:
- moved Guts to the Contract Violation list (credit: Adder and Narfcake)
- The Sword from the Inkwell and skirochester's Make Your Own Luck are now available (credit: Woot)
- Cat Carrier and Animal Hat to "B"/"C" Contract list (credit: Adder)
- Coffee Man to Plagiarism list (credit: Adder)
- Devo Derby (Devostation; Quite Good; The End) (credit: Adder and xyon)



Mavyn


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
amhansonmn wrote:I remember a couple of designs that I cannot find and I have looked through all 48 pages of the catalog for them. I think they were called "Darth Meow" and "Jabba the Fluff". Anybody know why these are not available?



Both were offered in a side sale. Tees from side sales are not included in the catalog.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

littleedge


quality posts: 0 Private Messages littleedge

Tees from Side Sales should totally start being added. Granted it's probably a different contract? I don't know anything about contracts and shirts and woot and this. But I feel that if 1700+ shirts are now available for a little extra money via a different printing process, let's make it all the shirts that aren't illegal to sell due to copyright. I hope Woot Lawyers are out fetching those people with non-catalog shirts and trying to get 'em there? There's, like, no bad side to putting a shirt in the catalog. The artist makes money.

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
littleedge wrote:Tees from Side Sales should totally start being added. Granted it's probably a different contract?...


They are, in what is referred as the "C Contract". In a nutshell, it means that Woot does not have perpetual printing rights to the design, hence only being able to offer them on a limited basis.

amhansonmn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages amhansonmn

Thanks for the answers everybody. I am sad that side sale shirts won't be in the catalog. I wanted to buy those two shirts for my kids for Christmas. Alas, I know I shoulda got 'em when the side sale happened.

Narfcake wrote:They are, in what is referred as the "C Contract". In a nutshell, it means that Woot does not have perpetual printing rights to the design, hence only being able to offer them on a limited basis.



amhansonmn


quality posts: 0 Private Messages amhansonmn

I agree littleedge; there would be no bad side to it, and I would hope this is an avenue Woot pursues in the future.

littleedge wrote:Tees from Side Sales should totally start being added. Granted it's probably a different contract? I don't know anything about contracts and shirts and woot and this. But I feel that if 1700+ shirts are now available for a little extra money via a different printing process, let's make it all the shirts that aren't illegal to sell due to copyright. I hope Woot Lawyers are out fetching those people with non-catalog shirts and trying to get 'em there? There's, like, no bad side to putting a shirt in the catalog. The artist makes money.



Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
amhansonmn wrote:Thanks for the answers everybody. I am sad that side sale shirts won't be in the catalog. I wanted to buy those two shirts for my kids for Christmas. Alas, I know I shoulda got 'em when the side sale happened.


I wouldn't completely count them out just yet, as some artists have expressed desire to have their designs made available. That said, such isn't a high priority aspect right now, so don't expect any to show up for (guessing) at least a few months.

goneferal


quality posts: 19 Private Messages goneferal
AGrant311 wrote:Okay, when folks start getting their shirts, please post on quality, shipping time, etc. I was thinking of ordering some for Christmas presents; I did indeed order two (22 days estimated shipping). Wanted to see quality before ordering more, but now I'm wondering if they'll ship in time...



Just got my Convenient Tiny Chair. I ordered it on the first day. It looks great. Very vibrant.

inkycatz


quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
goneferal wrote:Just got my Convenient Tiny Chair. I ordered it on the first day. It looks great. Very vibrant.



That's awesome!

I'm just hanging out, really.

eehad


quality posts: 1 Private Messages eehad

Love the reprint!
My bank account hates it, but hey - what does money mean if not more T's?

Just wish you guys could do a special rule for all the Ugly Christmas Sweater Tees in the reprint.

I would buy them all if it wouldn't be for the "ship in 18-20 business days"

That way I'd never get them in Europe in time for Xmas.

ochopika


quality posts: 27 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

littleedge wrote:Tees from Side Sales should totally start being added. Granted it's probably a different contract? I don't know anything about contracts and shirts and woot and this. But I feel that if 1700+ shirts are now available for a little extra money via a different printing process, let's make it all the shirts that aren't illegal to sell due to copyright. I hope Woot Lawyers are out fetching those people with non-catalog shirts and trying to get 'em there? There's, like, no bad side to putting a shirt in the catalog. The artist makes money.



The only downside for the artist is that Woot would probably own the exclusive right to use the design. The contract for the side sales give full rights back to the artist after one year. An artist could make more money selling the design themselves in some cases. There are a couple of designs that I'd love to have in the catalog, but there's at least one that I'm gonna print myself when I make my own shop.

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
ochopika wrote:The only downside for the artist is that Woot would probably own the exclusive right to use the design. ...


I would hope that if a design under the C-contract does become a part of the catalog, it would be with an A-contract; that would allow them to re-offer it as a daily and let it run through the usual course of the reckoning.

katanamaster


quality posts: 3 Private Messages katanamaster

Any chance we can have the catalog scan our purchase history and mark a shirt as 'Purchased'? That way those of us who have many many woot shirts can see what ones we have?

-Expecting something witty?

trekmiss


quality posts: 7 Private Messages trekmiss
katanamaster wrote:Any chance we can have the catalog scan our purchase history and mark a shirt as 'Purchased'? That way those of us who have many many woot shirts can see what ones we have?


Seems like a good idea, but it wouldn't account for the shirts acquired through randoms or trades. What I think would work better is some sort of check box that we can mark a shirt as owned.

AdderXYU


quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
Narfcake wrote:I would hope that if a design under the C-contract does become a part of the catalog, it would be with an A-contract; that would allow them to re-offer it as a daily and let it run through the usual course of the reckoning.



That's funny, but yeah, it'd be nice.

I mean, sure, are woot even paying editors choice prints the full grand anymore now that they have HM side sales? But yeah, I'm sure they'd give an A contract to former side-sale tees. That sounds totally like what a business which is all about profit above all would do for their talent.

If anything, it would just create a "D" contract, for side sale designs to be allowed to be sold solely at $2 a pop instead of ever paying out a lump sum, but to be sold forever at that rate.

ochopika


quality posts: 27 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

AdderXYU wrote:I mean, sure, are woot even paying editors choice prints the full grand anymore now that they have HM side sales?



Yes they are as far as I know. When you enter the derby you automatically sign the "A" contract. If an editor's choice is picked from the derby then they'd have to honor that contract. They ask you if you'd like to sign the "C" contract before your derby design goes into the side sale.

rockonkatie


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockonkatie

So I ordered 3 shirts, The Convenient Tiny Chair (for my husband), The Artist, and Playing Koi.

I guess I should have done my homework on DTG beforehand, but the shirts look awful in my opinion. The images look grainy/dotty/pixelated. Just terrible. Each image looks like it has diagonal lines running across it. The paw prints in "The Artist" are so tiny that the lines make them indiscernible. Many just look like pink blobs. The lovely water drops in Playing Koi are destroyed by the lines. The Tiny Chair doesn't looks too awful, but it doesn't have any large sections of solid colors anyway.

I have to admit that I had never seen the "originals" of any of these shirts, for comparison, but I doubt any of these images were intended to look like this. I've included images of the shirts (sorry for the poor quality/lighting). Is it just me or is the print quality kind of appalling?







ThunderThighs


quality posts: 570 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

DTG is a different process that prints the colors using CMYK. The colors are printed via super-small dots not unlike a color ink jet printer but at a much, much, much higher resolution. You will see some differences between DTG and screen print which lays down a solid Pantone color.

The diagonal lines you are seeing are in the design. The designer used halftones to give the appearance of a different color. When doing half tones, you print alternating dots or lines of two different colors. Heres a blog that describes halftones.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

arryielle


quality posts: 6 Private Messages arryielle

For those people who were asking for pictures and wondering about how the shirts will look different, my DTG shirt just came in. My long-sleeved, screen-printed one is on the left, the new DTG is on the right.



My shirts available on Teetrade and WootStalker!

krackel


quality posts: 1 Private Messages krackel

I received my Sheep in Wolf's Clothing today. It looks as though the machine ran out of white ink towards the end. Sorry if the pics aren't that great - I was trying to take them before the batteries in my camera died.





I checked the design again on the site to make sure I remembered what it's supposed to look like, and I also found the pictures ochopika put up in the forums for comparison.

This was one of two shirts I ordered - the other one (Oodles of Noodles) turned out fine, but I'm not too thrilled with this one.

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
arryielle wrote:For those people who were asking for pictures ...


Definitely not as vibrant, and IMHO, even the long sleeve (right) wasn't done as well as the original t-shirt run (left).

As for the DTG, I'm guessing it's configured to a one-pass on the white underbase, which means it won't be as solid and some of the CYMK ink will be absorbed instead of solely sitting on top of the print surface (shirt); to compensate, some tweaking of the color profiles should be in order. Also, a comment that was made elsewhere by a DTG operator was that 980's of different origins absorb the pretreatment differently, so there might be a minor adjustment on that too.

krackel wrote:I received my Sheep in Wolf's Clothing today. It looks as though the machine ran out of white ink towards the end. ...


Comparing it with my (screened) copy and Ocho's pic, it definitely looks like it. Email support@woot.com with your order number and a link to your post.

JJrodny


quality posts: 0 Private Messages JJrodny

After watching Woot get bought by Amazon and raise its prices from $10 to $12 for shirts, at the same time resorting to using an inferior shirt, then to see them give weekly wootplus specials bringing back old designs that effectively nullified the original meaning of Woot's original 'one day one shirt' motto, I thought I had seen the end of the great fall of Woot. Woot had been a pillar of which others envied - One shirt, only available that day. Gone forever the next day.

I figured that Woot couldn't sink any lower - they already reneged on the idea that the design was one-day-only special by having wootplus.

Before, you could only get it that day, and if you missed it, it was gone forever. There was a special feeling from that. You had to make a choice, that day only, whether you were going to have that shirt or not.

And I had come to terms with what wootplus had done, with what Woot had become.

I figured that Woot already sank to it's depth, to the lowest it would go after raising prices and selling old designs on crappy shirts. I figured it wouldn't just turn into Threadless where the quality sucks and there's nothing special about your shirt. Millions of others had the same crappy starchy shirt.

But now that the 'woot catalog' is out, it's no longer what it used to be. Woot is no longer the "One design, One day." It's now "Every design. Every day."

Woot has lost the ineffable feeling it had before, where items were only available once, and gone forever after that. Now all of our woot shirts have lost their uniqueness.

I beg you to stop allowing the Woot concept to be wrung dry for every penny that you can get out of it.

The Woot concept is gone, in its stead is a dead, characterless, money-hungry Wal-mart of shirt designs.

I'm sorry to see Woot go like this. I suppose it's true, that it's better to die young with your ideals intact than to live long enough to sell it all for the sake of making money.

I'm so sorry to see you go, Woot.

A dear follower of Woot,
-JJrodny

Narfcake


quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
JJrodny wrote:... Woot has lost the ineffable feeling it had before, where items were only available once, and gone forever after that. Now all of our woot shirts have lost their uniqueness. ...


Woot is still not a household name, the shirts are still not seen everywhere, and your concern of losing their uniqueness is overblown IMHO.

Yes, it removes the urgency to buy a recent design right away before it's reckoned, but not everyone is around here on shirt.woot every single day. Many more folks who've discovered shirt.woot were not around for the past 5+ years either, so to have the catalog available is a great option.

There are aspects of the post-Amazon Woot I dislike, but this is not one of those. The artists who created the designs are getting paid for the new sales, and that I'm very happy about ... that their work can be enjoyed by more people now. As much as I applaud Threadless for finally reversing their path to ever cheapening t-shirt blanks, their flat-rate commission model pales to what it can be here at Woot. As an example, DoOomcat recently had a print at Threadless that sold out in less than a week; she'll get an additional $500 if/when they reprint. Meanwhile, all of her designs here are available to purchase and in turn, can contribute to the twin DoOomkitten's college fund (they're 1 now) on an ongoing basis.

Being the resident shirt nerd, I was "last Wooter to Woot" for 25 different shirts; I'm very happy that only three of those mementos remain now, and I expect it to lose another when lucky1988's killer rabbit reprints in a side sale.

zavn


quality posts: 2 Private Messages zavn
Narfcake wrote:You can still buy those, in all 21 colors that shirt.woot has ever offered (and 30 more that Woot did not offer), over here for the same $18 (but plus shipping).



Are you sure you have the right link? It didn't work for me.