3%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Oooh oooh I can't wait for the animated gif

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

spilzer

quality posts: 121 Private Messages spilzer

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

Thanks, Woot writers - that made my night.
Man I want some cookies.
AND I DID WORK AS A JANITOR ONCE.

brought to you by

polysorbate

quality posts: 7 Private Messages polysorbate

So, the grey wizard falls into hot bleach in the center of the earth, only to revive as the white wizard.

jdelvoie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages jdelvoie

#3 in the series:

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/poison
http://shirt.woot.com/offers/shoot-GOBBLE GOBBLE!

Another classic to add to the collection.

lonelypond

quality posts: 461 Private Messages lonelypond

Don't usually like these, but this one'll do.

Love mysteries? Want a mix of gay + straight characters? With a bit of Poe? Try my book, darn it ; ) In The Bleak December.

slacker44

quality posts: 7 Private Messages slacker44
nathanwpyle wrote:brought to you by

Nice! So can we get this on a shirt?

nathanwpyle

Oh and here are these just for kicks

slacker44

quality posts: 7 Private Messages slacker44

Why not get rid of the write-ups and instead use Nathan W. Pyle's animated gifs?

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester

Funny enough, I think less of King's Quest and more about the original Monkey Island when I see these shirts by Mr. Pyle.

nathanwpyle

bluejester wrote:Funny enough, I think less of King's Quest and more about the original Monkey Island when I see these shirts by Mr. Pyle.

You know, I actually always think of a game I played on my Dad's Commodore 64 but I can't recall the name now.

but the graphics were sweet

jesspants

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jesspants
slacker44 wrote:Nice! So can we get this on a shirt?

YES PLZ

gabejanzen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gabejanzen

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!

thegleek

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thegleek

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 225 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Between the revival projects on kickstarter and Nathan's tees, 2012 is the year of the adventure game!

Pro: Adventure games are awesome
Cons: Has created a wormhole rift in time to 1984

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

Makes me think of one of my favorite cat pictures.

A moment in cinema that is both heart-wrenching but also hilariously referenced. Like Darth Vader toeing at Obi-Wan's robes.

magyargirl

quality posts: 14 Private Messages magyargirl

My sister and I used to play Zyll, back in the day. I'm pretty sure we never won, which pretty much predicted our future video-game life.

But with this shirt...well, I have a 50/50 chance, right?? Choose Your Own Adventure, here I come!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Did y'all notice that it's also available as a pullover hoodie?

http://shirt.woot.com/plus/8-bits-of-fun

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

I have to concur with the write-up.
This was clever the first time, but I hope there isn't an effort to capture all of Geekdom in this format.
(nonextant Dr. Who and Firefly to name a couple of prominent ones)

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

rainger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rainger
bluetuba wrote:Oooh oooh I can't wait for the animated gif

ChronoSquall14

Has Woot! considered bundling similar shirts? I know there's themed Woot! plus sales and all, but a three-pack of "Fly, You Fools", "Shoot First", and "Poison", for example, or a Blair Sayer three-pack (or six-pack if you would print three more awesome fake beer shirts)for $30-35 (therefore being sold at a discount for the bundle) would be neat. Just a thought.

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

pfffft!

andrewtl

quality posts: 22 Private Messages andrewtl

This never occurred to me.

pfffft!

logicape

quality posts: 3 Private Messages logicape

hater alert

IMO Jackson was unable to capture the totality and sacrifice of this scene (the entire chapter really). He 'overHollywoodised' it, and it ended up losing the real impact and finality. Sadly more folks now recall this scene instead of the text of one of the best chapters ever written, and this shirt, in all of its 8-bit greatness, perpetuates the dumbing-down effect these movies ultimate had.

/hater alert

ChronoSquall14

logicape wrote:hater alert

IMO Jackson was unable to capture the totality and sacrifice of this scene (the entire chapter really). He 'overHollywoodised' it, and it ended up losing the real impact and finality. Sadly more folks now recall this scene instead of the text of one of the best chapters ever written, and this shirt, in all of its 8-bit greatness, perpetuates the dumbing-down effect these movies ultimate had.

/hater alert

I respectfully disagree. The whole trilogy is definitely Hollwoodized, but I thought this was a great scene from start to finish. The entire Mines of Moria sequence, from entering the great hall to the scene outside of the mines, was brilliant, I thought. Though the "rocking of the pillar" was a bit silly.

mactruck801

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mactruck801

wow, I always thought it was "Run you fools".

logicape

ChronoSquall14 wrote:I respectfully disagree. The whole trilogy is definitely Hollwoodized, but I thought this was a great scene from start to finish. The entire Mines of Moria sequence, from entering the great hall to the scene outside of the mines, was brilliant, I thought. Though the "rocking of the pillar" was a bit silly.

I respect your input, and I've tried to embrace this point of view. I just have a hard time with the blatant inconsistencies and 'Hollywoodisms', most seeming to cash in by trying to meet audience expectations.

Some of these include: The bog-creature outside the mines (cool sequence, but entirely made up), Boromir's quip, "They have a cave troll." before the battle in Balin's tomb, Sam fighting orcs with pots and pans (really?), Gimli's unorthodox (and clumsy) fighting (in the books he's a badass, not a walking joke), and of course your allusion to the leaning pillar sequence, which actually seemed pretty cool when compared to the movie's worst line, "No one tosses a dwarf." Sadly, there shouldn't be so many examples from just a single 20-minute bit...

Sorry - I just get re-agitated when I remember how Jackson took something so long-lived and beloved and turned it into something so base. Considering the current popularity of Honey Boo Boo and every other bloody 'reality' show, it's not surprising what appeals to the masses.

justkissmybass

quality posts: 3 Private Messages justkissmybass
logicape wrote:I respect your input, and I've tried to embrace this point of view. I just have a hard time with the blatant inconsistencies and 'Hollywoodisms', most seeming to cash in by trying to meet audience expectations.

Some of these include: The bog-creature outside the mines (cool sequence, but entirely made up), Boromir's quip, "They have a cave troll." before the battle in Balin's tomb, Sam fighting orcs with pots and pans (really?), Gimli's unorthodox (and clumsy) fighting (in the books he's a badass, not a walking joke), and of course your allusion to the leaning pillar sequence, which actually seemed pretty cool when compared to the movie's worst line, "No one tosses a dwarf." Sadly, there shouldn't be so many examples from just a single 20-minute bit...

Sorry - I just get re-agitated when I remember how Jackson took something so long-lived and beloved and turned it into something so base. Considering the current popularity of Honey Boo Boo and every other bloody 'reality' show, it's not surprising what appeals to the masses.

I can understand your qualms, but there's no way the movies would have ever been made if they weren't "Hollywoodised". Even if they had shortcommings compared to the books (what movie adaptation doesn't?) you would be missing out on some of the visually stunning and emotional scenes, and also have at least some reference point for some people you interact with, since probably thousands more people saw the movies and never read the books (and also may have encouraged younger folks to go back and read them, and hopefully appreciate the story that much more). Jackson was a fan of the books, and wanted to create something from those stories that could appeal to the masses, and different medium are going to give you different experiences.

e.g. the T-shirt medium, which gives a nice nostalgia effect, and just overall fuzziness inside.

amykeniston

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amykeniston
justkissmybass wrote:I can understand your qualms, but there's no way the movies would have ever been made if they weren't "Hollywoodised". Even if they had shortcommings compared to the books (what movie adaptation doesn't?) you would be missing out on some of the visually stunning and emotional scenes, and also have at least some reference point for some people you interact with, since probably thousands more people saw the movies and never read the books (and also may have encouraged younger folks to go back and read them, and hopefully appreciate the story that much more). Jackson was a fan of the books, and wanted to create something from those stories that could appeal to the masses, and different medium are going to give you different experiences.

e.g. the T-shirt medium, which gives a nice nostalgia effect, and just overall fuzziness inside.

When ever people get into the argument of how "The director ruined the story. The book was much better!" All I have to say is, if you go to a movie expecting it to be like the book, you will ALWAYS be disappointed. Books do not make good movies. They are meant to be read, and not watched. In order to make the story interesting on a visual level, they have to snip and cut to make it fit, not only into a few hours, but so that it's fun. Imagine the scene where they are choosing the fellowship. Can you imagine if they acted all that out? It would take hours! So please, look at book based movies as a retelling all on its own. Quit comparing them to the book they were "based on".

JoeDeth

quality posts: 3 Private Messages JoeDeth

Just watched the 3hr. extended edition of Fellowship w/ my 8yr. old daughter this past Monday.

She was on the verge of tears. So was I (even though I know what happens in Two Towers). and no, I didn't tell her that he lives. Two Towers ee coming up on Friday night!

Love this but I'm so broke...

rockytrh

quality posts: 4 Private Messages rockytrh
mactruck801 wrote:wow, I always thought it was "Run you fools".

As did I. I listened to the clip again, and I swear he says "run"...

zwoodsman

quality posts: 1 Private Messages zwoodsman
rockytrh wrote:As did I. I listened to the clip again, and I swear he says "run"...

Can't comment on the movie, but coincidentally I just happened to read this chapter to my 9 year old daughter last night and it _is_ "Fly", not "Run".

logicape

amykeniston wrote:When ever people get into the argument of how "The director ruined the story. The book was much better!" All I have to say is, if you go to a movie expecting it to be like the book, you will ALWAYS be disappointed. Books do not make good movies. They are meant to be read, and not watched. In order to make the story interesting on a visual level, they have to snip and cut to make it fit, not only into a few hours, but so that it's fun. Imagine the scene where they are choosing the fellowship. Can you imagine if they acted all that out? It would take hours! So please, look at book based movies as a retelling all on its own. Quit comparing them to the book they were "based on".

A movie that has its origin, that wouldn't exist without the book, is ALWAYS going to be compared. That said, I'm attempting to learn tolerance (especially after The Two Towers) of the movie versions of my favorite books.

I think my major argument, and what makes Jackson's treatment of LotR different from other book adaptations is the fact that he (unnecessarily IMO) added and changed the source materials. I understand omitting - you're right, keeping everything would make for a long (and likely boring) film.

Think about Harry Potter - given the original texts, I believe the movies were (mostly) quite well done. There didn't seem to be much creative license taken - there was simply none needed. I'd hope the same could be said about LotR - when you're starting with 'gold', why try to embellish?

I'm trying to to learn to appreciate movies for what they are and leave my overly-critical expectations of the perfect adaptation at home. It's truly the ONLY way I'm going to be able to watch The Hobbit without audibly groaning every 3-12 minutes.

Thanks to anykeniston, justkissmybass, and ChronoSquall14 for the astute counterpoints.

globe1013

quality posts: 0 Private Messages globe1013
rockytrh wrote:As did I. I listened to the clip again, and I swear he says "run"...

I totally agree. I got the reference immediately but I always thought it was "Run"......and since they run out of the caves I'm sticking with that!!

ChronoSquall14

I just watched it again. Right now. Definitely "Fly!"

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
ChronoSquall14 wrote:Has Woot! considered bundling similar shirts? I know there's themed Woot! plus sales and all, but a three-pack of "Fly, You Fools", "Shoot First", and "Poison", for example, or a Blair Sayer three-pack (or six-pack if you would print three more awesome fake beer shirts)for $30-35 (therefore being sold at a discount for the bundle) would be neat. Just a thought.

the difficulty is two-fold. First, cornucopiaishly, blair has done four beer shirts.

But secondly, and this is the difficulty of any pop culture, packaging a four-pack of blair's beer tees requires not only liking beer and zombies, for instance, but liking beer, zombies, and game of thrones, and then burdened with more and more exclusions with each extra tee. A three-pack of nathan's tees would require not only loving the princess bride, star wars, and lotr, and loving them each enough to want to buy shirts on them, but also loving 8 bit art.

That's true of any combo pack... you might pass over a halloween candy bag because it seems to be predominantly whoppers, or a 24 pack of gatorade because you just don't want 8 Fierce Melons. For better or for worse, that is doubly true when a product relies, from the very beginning, on being a fan of something else prior to being a fan of it. You need to love LOTR to want this shirt. You need to then want a shirt of it at all, and then want a shirt with this concept specifically and then one done in this style. Then combine each of those needs for each other shirt in the trilogy.

darthbob14

quality posts: 5 Private Messages darthbob14
logicape wrote:I respect your input, and I've tried to embrace this point of view. I just have a hard time with the blatant inconsistencies and 'Hollywoodisms', most seeming to cash in by trying to meet audience expectations.

All due respect and from a fellow LOTR nerd (who was not terribly impressed with the movies).

The Watcher in the Water did indeed exist. The scene was lengthened in the movie - originally it was just Frodo gets grabbed, then Sam slashes it and it lets go. No movie is ad verbatim, but I agree that an orc-cheiftain is no cave troll. It would be natural for Boromir to be surprised. I completely concur about Gimli's and Sam's fighing. I do agree that the pillar was unlikely, and that the only redeeming quality of Gimli's line was the recurrence in TTT.

The scene may not have been the most true to the book; however, it was a good scene in it's own right. (To be fair, that's my opinion of the movies as a whole). To be completely honest, while the Balrog was B.A., it didn't quite match my expectations (based entirely off Tolkien's descriptions).

"Finally, an excuse to nuke France!"

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 1m 18.009s
First Sucker: misterducky
Last Wooter to Woot: imtheunknown176
Last Purchase: a minute ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 0% of Shirt Woots
Bottom 0% of all Woots
Woots Sold: 962

First day sales 962
First day posts 37

tigerfish313

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tigerfish313
ChronoSquall14 wrote:Has Woot! considered bundling similar shirts? I know there's themed Woot! plus sales and all, but a three-pack of "Fly, You Fools", "Shoot First", and "Poison", for example, or a Blair Sayer three-pack (or six-pack if you would print three more awesome fake beer shirts)for $30-35 (therefore being sold at a discount for the bundle) would be neat. Just a thought.

I would get it. I already want all three of the hoodies offered on the plus sale right now, but I can't bring myself to spend $75 just now... That might change the closer it gets to the sale ending.