WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

We've had a lot of art style-themed Derbies throughout the years, and each one has produced some really great designs. So this week we're opening the field to include any of the art style derbies below. Pick one and go nuts!

  • No resubmissions.
  • No text only designs.
  • No pop culture riffs.
  • Technical rules (line width, dot size, color limitation, etc) from the derby of your choosing still apply now.
  • Please indicate in your detail images or in comments which style derby you are referencing.

Choose from any of the following:

  • Graffiti
  • Trompe-l'œil
  • Line Art
  • Pixel Grid
  • Art Deco
  • Pointillism
  • Tattoo
  • Art Nouveau
  • Classic Comics Style
  • Psychedelia
  • Prehistoric Art
  • Crosshatch
  • Mid-Century Modern DESIGN
  • Woodcuts
  • Watercolors

 



omarfeliciano


quality posts: 33 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Oh YES!!!!!!!

Catchmoriarty


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Catchmoriarty

This should be good!

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
omarfeliciano wrote:Oh YES!!!!!!!



oh NO! real ART? ... imma out!

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Um, yeah. This derby's gonna be awesome.

Please let us know in the detail or comments what style you're using. Also, the technical rules from the derby you're choosing apply now. So if a line had to be a certain width, it still applies to your design.

tjschaeffer


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

I am up for some Pre-Historic Pointillistic Crosshatched Nouveau Art Deco Watercolor Graffiti.

Also, open ended themes like this make my brain hurt.

lyonscc


quality posts: 5 Private Messages lyonscc
tgentry wrote:Um, yeah. This derby's gonna be awesome.

Please let us know in the detail or comments what style you're using. Also, the rules from the derby you're choosing apply now. So if a line had to be a certain width or Mario was not allowed, it still applies to your design.



Any chance we can get some link-magic to the past derbies you're referencing, since we have to follow those rules too?

Also - if that derby says "no text", but the derby above says text is allowed, which is the rule?

tgentry


quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

lyonscc wrote:Any chance we can get some link-magic to the past derbies you're referencing, since we have to follow those rules too?

Also - if that derby says "no text", but the derby above says text is allowed, which is the rule?



Made an adjustment to my above statement so that:

- technical rules (i.e. dot size, line width, color usage) from the derby of your choosing still applies.

- Pop culture and text rules set in this derby are in effect, so no pop culture and no text-only designs.

I'll try to get those in the write-up.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
lyonscc wrote:Any chance we can get some link-magic to the past derbies you're referencing, since we have to follow those rules too?

Also - if that derby says "no text", but the derby above says text is allowed, which is the rule?



prolly whichever is more restrictive.

edit: nm.

artulo


quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Interesting.

Josephus


quality posts: 25 Private Messages Josephus
no1 wrote:prolly whichever is more restrictive.

edit: nm.



HA! Curmudgeon burned!

lkackman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman

Agreed, this could be quite interesting. I'm not sure what style to do...

artulo wrote:Interesting.



no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Josephus wrote:HA! Curmudgeon burned!



GET OFFA MY LAWN

beware1984


quality posts: 0 Private Messages beware1984

I love me some Mid Century animation! However the word DESIGN seems to be emphasized and I'm not sure what that means? Anyone care to elaborate or can I get a link to that derby to see examples?

BusinessInTheFront


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BusinessInTheFront

Too many styles... brain can't handle making choices.... aiiiiiiiiiii....

BOOM!

(thanks Woot, you just imploded my amygdala).

lilsquiggle


quality posts: 1 Private Messages lilsquiggle
lyonscc wrote:Any chance we can get some link-magic to the past derbies you're referencing, since we have to follow those rules too?

Also - if that derby says "no text", but the derby above says text is allowed, which is the rule?



Yeah... a link to the past derbies would be really nice to ensure we don't waste our time doing something wrong.

beware1984


quality posts: 0 Private Messages beware1984

I found the mid century design derby link. Here it is if anyone else needs it...

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/archive/178/mid-century-modern-design

cfdunbar


quality posts: 0 Private Messages cfdunbar

No resubs huh?

Can I enter a design with heavy changes from one of those past derbies?

EDIT: Or an entry from a recent derby with changes made to fall into one of the art styles? such as this entry modified to fall into the art nouveau derby.

odysseyroc


quality posts: 32 Private Messages odysseyroc

A collaboration with Kevin. We're both big street food fans, and thought this was funny.





citizencoyote


quality posts: 42 Private Messages citizencoyote
odysseyroc wrote:A collaboration with Kevin. We're both big street food fans, and thought this was funny.



At least you've got chicken. Love it.

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
cfdunbar wrote:No resubs huh?

Can I enter a design with heavy changes from one of those past derbies?

EDIT: Or an entry from a recent derby with changes made to fall into one of the art styles? such as this entry modified to fall into the art nouveau derby.



i think as long as you rework an entry so it's not just a direct resub, it orta b ok.

also ... woot posts rules, but i didn't notice a lot of rejections in the just-ended caffeine derby. just sayin'.

sirend


quality posts: 0 Private Messages sirend

so this topic is kind of confusing.. ive never participated in the past derbies of the same nature. so it can be anything in terms of subject? like anything at all? as long as we use one of the styles provided?

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
sirend wrote:so this topic is kind of confusing.. ive never participated in the past derbies of the same nature. so it can be anything in terms of subject? like anything at all? as long as we use one of the styles provided?



yes, except for the other restrictions in the rules (like no pop culture riffs, meaning specific movies/tv shows/video games are out)

noxandpy


quality posts: 2 Private Messages noxandpy

Nox and I are working on a few things for this week!

Line art (sketched below) and a prehistoric art entry too! This is going to be fun!

blk909


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909

Hoping for some wonderful pointillism designs. Seems like a natural.

writermist


quality posts: 1 Private Messages writermist

:D
Onerous Massive Family Gathering THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!!

orabbit


quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
odysseyroc wrote:A collaboration with Kevin. We're both big street food fans, and thought this was funny.



Maybe change it to Street Meat? Seems funnier and maybe dirtier to me.

vielleicht


quality posts: 1 Private Messages vielleicht

Entering a psychedelia design!

I decided to deviate a little from the 70's-inspired hippy-dippy version of psychedelia and go for a more modern rave-inspired flavor.

I'm not destined for the rejectionator for updating the concept, am I? The design is definitely still BRIGHTLY colored, heavily patterned, and, dare I say it, rather psychotropic.

aksthomp


quality posts: 0 Private Messages aksthomp

Where can we go find rules for the past derbies?

orabbit


quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit

OK, here's what I'm working on. Has this idea been done before? It's way unfinished, but I wanted to float it and see what you all think.

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
aksthomp wrote:Where can we go find rules for the past derbies?

Links to the rules are posted in this thread.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

oakenspirit


quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit
orabbit wrote:OK, here's what I'm working on. Has this idea been done before? It's way unfinished, but I wanted to float it and see what you all think.



I dig the idea, as it always becomes a quest (or most often a speedrun)...
...and I haven't seen anything like it...

Not sure I love the guys eyes though... almost make me think of an alien.

Like the achievement idea too.


orabbit


quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
oakenspirit wrote:I dig the idea, as it always becomes a quest (or most often a speedrun)...
...and I haven't seen anything like it...

Not sure I love the guys eyes though... almost make me think of an alien.

Like the achievement idea too.



Thanks, OS. Is it the lines under his eyes, or the angle of the pupils that bugs you?

oakenspirit


quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit
orabbit wrote:Thanks, OS. Is it the lines under his eyes, or the angle of the pupils that bugs you?



Sorry- shoulda been more specific.
I think it's the lines, - simply removing them may make it cleaner and less- alien.


lkackman


quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman



I didn't have time to work up a sketch last night. Instead, I used a components of an old design. Changed it a quite a bit and converted it two 2 colors. I thought the art worked well as a woodblock styled piece. Thoughts?

I hope I'll have time to work on another sub today or tomorrow.

oakenspirit


quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit
lkackman wrote:

I didn't have time to work up a sketch last night. Instead, I used a components of an old design. Changed it a quite a bit and converted it two 2 colors. I thought the art worked well as a woodblock styled piece. Thoughts?

I hope I'll have time to work on another sub today or tomorrow.



So dreamy! If woot sold onesies I would want this for muh babe. Then again... I would likely buy anything that looks like a woodcut...


oakenspirit


quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit
noxandpy wrote:Nox and I are working on a few things for this week!

Line art (sketched below) and a prehistoric art entry too! This is going to be fun!



I have a good feeling about this one!


oakenspirit


quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit

Are these submission ready?

I'm at work now and can't really do any more work on them until Sunday or so, so I am subbing these today at noon or won't be able to for a while...

Thoughts? I have two-

This one is a watercolor I scanned in and halftoned... still has the watercolor look I think.
Thinking of calling it "Dreams of the Hunt"



and this one is going for pulp comic style!

Calling it Transmogrification Rex!