oakenspirit

quality posts: 72 Private Messages oakenspirit

Is there a point? Does it show up? Is it a waste of a design color?

None of the shirts I own answer this for me and I don't know if I should avoid using black ink on navy in my shirt designs.

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51
oakenspirit wrote:Is there a point? Does it show up? Is it a waste of a design color?

None of the shirts I own answer this for me and I don't know if I should avoid using black ink on navy in my shirt designs.

Avoid it. Avoid it on brown too. For as much grief as black on asphalt gets, I think it's easier to see than black on brown.

oakenspirit

kevlar51 wrote:Avoid it. Avoid it on brown too. For as much grief as black on asphalt gets, I think it's easier to see than black on brown.

Thanks for the speedy reply man.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
kevlar51 wrote:Avoid it. Avoid it on brown too. For as much grief as black on asphalt gets, I think it's easier to see than black on brown.

BLACK ON ASPHALT IS JUST FINE, TYVM.

kevlar51

quality posts: 44 Private Messages kevlar51
no1 wrote:BLACK ON ASPHALT IS JUST FINE, TYVM.

Yeah, I think Black works just fine on Asphalt.
Though I have noticed the more recent asphalt shirts I've gotten have been darker.

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
kevlar51 wrote:Yeah, I think Black works just fine on Asphalt.
Though I have noticed the more recent asphalt shirts I've gotten have been darker.

With any dark-on-dark, a lot of it has to do with print size. ie: Nevermore gets grief for being lots of terrible things, but especially because something as small as type fades super quick with not much washing. Pandamonium uses much larger chunks of black, meaning it is easier to see.

Same rules apply for navy and brown, but because they're more saturated (navy, in bad light, is easy to mistake for black) they tend to be even more tricky. Play with such things carefully. Even an olive tee can be problematic in some lighting situations with thin black ink (see also "deer by numbers")

ochopika

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ochopika
oakenspirit wrote:Is there a point? Does it show up? Is it a waste of a design color?

Black on navy works fine when you're using it to accentuate an element in the midst of brighter ink colors. I wouldn't have a lot of black ink on a dark color like navy or brown, as the other guys say.

Draw your design with the black elements then change the black to navy once you're totally finished with the design. If it looks good then you just scored another color to use if needed.

oakenspirit

I really appreciate all the advice guys... I am slowly learning this stuff... ;) Maybe in 4 months I'll get an HM. hehe