killifish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages killifish

Just wondering if I am the only one out there in Wootitopia wondering if they will ever offer extra small sizes for women shirts?

The old style used to fit fine in a small, the new shirts are just bigger and boxier. There are sooo many shirts that I want to order, but don't because of size. it is curious that they offer 6 men's sizes and 4 women's sizes. FYI, trying to order kids shirts don't work, wrong cut (proportions).

Now with every shirt available, it is extra painful.

Narfcake

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Narfcake
killifish wrote:Just wondering if I am the only one out there in Wootitopia wondering if they will ever offer extra small sizes for women shirts? ...

Going by this thread, you're not the only one. Even if they did offer such, there's still the issue that a size XS will be too short.

viviankb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages viviankb

Agreed. I have to stop myself from buying the shirts I want, now that they're all available, because I know they won't fit.

I'd be shelling out a lot of money if they were available in AA. Even at a higher price, $20 each or something -- although I think $18 is already a nice markup for Woot, no?

It's depressing. But it's saving my bank account.

Narfcake wrote:Going by this thread, you're not the only one. Even if they did offer such, there's still the issue that a size XS will be too short.

Narfcake

viviankb wrote:It's depressing. But it's saving my bank account.

Even before the whole catalog, I question how much larger my collection would be if it weren't for the switch.

Granted, during the transition, there was the aspect of buying some of the "on-the-fence" designs too when I wouldn't have if not for being on the old blanks.

newnie

quality posts: 2 Private Messages newnie
Narfcake wrote:Granted, during the transition, there was the aspect of buying some of the "on-the-fence" designs too when I wouldn't have if not for being on the old blanks.

Same here. I bought quite a bit of shirts I only sort of liked, just because they were printed on AA. Darn my impulses!

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU

Given that threads have been going on about a women's 2x for years, it would be pretty pathetic if an XS came first. Not to mention arguably one more link in the chain of "small girls are good and natural, big girls are bad and unwomanly" discourse that pervades our dialogues.

Though with anvil, the bigger the shirt, the baggier the shirt, and the baggier the shirt, the more air is between you and the coarser fabric.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

AdderXYU wrote:Given that threads have been going on about a women's 2x for years, it would be pretty pathetic if an XS came first. Not to mention arguably one more link in the chain of "small girls are good and natural, big girls are bad and unwomanly" discourse that pervades our dialogues.

Considering that the new women's shirts are approximately one to two sizes larger than the old women's shirts, the old request for a women's 2XL has been (technically) fulfilled: it is the new women's L/XL (probably more the WXL). An AA W2XL is 22-23 inches in chest diameter; an Anvil WXL is 23 inches in chest diameter.

So, at the same time as the 2XL size request ended up being fulfilled, the old WS size equivalent was completely removed. The Anvil WXS, at 15 inches in chest diameter, would be equivalent to the AA WS, at 15-16 inches in chest diameter. The request for an Anvil WXS is not a request for yet another size added to the roster--it is a request to replace a size that was completely lost. And it seems, from what I have read in the forums (I believe Narfcake provided this information somewhere?), an Anvil WXS will never happen because it is unavailable in almost all of woot's colours.

It would behoove you to familiarize yourself with the subject being discussed before bringing up the spectre of a very sensitive issue which no one in this thread--before you--was referencing, alluding to, or even hinting at. I recommend the thread to which Narfcake linked upthread as an excellent starting point (though, alas, that thread is indeed somewhat haunted by that unhealthy spectre of body-shaming, it does have a very thorough discussion and examination of the new women's sizing--by women themselves).

AdderXYU

goldenthorn wrote:Considering that the new women's shirts are approximately one to two sizes larger than the old women's shirts, the old request for a women's 2XL has been fulfilled: it is the new women's L/XL (probably more the WXL). An AA W2XL is 22-23 inches in chest diameter; an Anvil WXL is 23 inches in chest diameter.

So, at the same time as the 2XL size request ended up being fulfilled, the old WS size equivalent was completely removed. The Anvil WXS, at 15 inches in chest diameter, would be equivalent to the AA WS, at 15-16 inches in chest diameter. And it seems, from what I have read in the forums (I believe Narfcake provided this information somewhere), an Anvil WXS will never happen because it is unavailable in almost all of woot's colours.

It would behoove you to familiarize yourself with the subject being discussed before bringing up the spectre of a very sensitive issue which no one in this thread--before you--was referencing, alluding to, or even hinting at. I recommend the thread to which Narfcake linked upthread as an excellent starting point.

Completely true. I did not take into account that, along with the other myriad complaints toward the anvil blanks, that a hugely different sizing issue would be a part of it, as opposed to simply matters of shape.

As you point out, though, and as narf also pointed out (which I did catch in the thread), an anvil XS would be a completely pointless addition due to a) stock of those sizes, and b) shortness of tee. If that is the case, the only real way to get back to a size which would accommodate the AA women's small wearer is, well, to bring back AA shirts and their respective sizes.

So while I'm certainly guilty of not getting my measurements squared away, the problem is that it then becomes not a size issue, but a style issue. It's not about women not being able to get a shirt that fits them properly, but of there not being any shirts that fit properly. And that is true across the Anvil range. That, I have definitely seen throughout other posts. So it's not about the size itself. It's about woot and women's shirts. Arguably it's about woot and shirts, in general.

And if it's about woot and the way their choice did not take into account the radically different shape of the new blanks they were about to start using, to the point of making Women's Small, as a market, unserveable, then it is part of a conversation which must be had as a widespread issue that has been plaguing woot for years now.

thumperchick

quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick
killifish wrote:Just wondering if I am the only one out there in Wootitopia wondering if they will ever offer extra small sizes for women shirts?

Be careful, when the other side of the measurement scale asked for a W2XL, we got Anvil... Have you tried a MS? Some have had good luck with that.

ETA: Wait! Keep asking. Ask loudly! I would strongly prefer going back to AA - then at least all of us could find *a* shirt to wear - even if some of us had to go to men's sizing.

ellegee

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ellegee

Seems like adding both a WXS and a MXS would make a lot of people happy, since multiple shapes of woman come in all sizes.

AdderXYU

Incidentally, having gone through that whole thread, I don't really see a difference in what I said.

In the AA scheme, we had people wanting a womens' 2X. In the anvil one, we have people wanting a women's XS. Women were told before to just get unisex tees. Women are told in the thread, quite regularly, to just get kids tees. As that goes, we're even.

Here's the issue, though: Woot COULD HAVE fixed the 2X problem, while it seems fixing the XS one is nigh impossible.

Further, throughout the thread, we saw many excited not-yet-buyers who were stoked to not only get a women's cut tee, but to get one in a smaller size. However, I at least saw an even break of the "target market" of women who felt underserved by AA's size, where about half or less liked Anvil, and about half or more still hated Anvil. Even many who did like it, or at least not hate it, noted issues with sleeves, tenting, or other issues they just decided not to care about. Just about every woman who named herself "in the target market" and gave a post-washing, over-time review did not like the fit in the end. The shape simply didn't flatter nearly anyone in the thread (which is the information I'd gleaned from my readings over time), even if the size was supposed to fit better.

So they've ostracized the smaller girls. But they haven't "fulfilled" anything for the majority of those who wanted a larger size in AA. And the ones in the middle? I saw about three positive reviews in the WS-WL corridor, and they were all staff. I don't think a single woman who took a WXL in AA preferred the switch. Basically, Anvil sucks for the majority of woot's female populace.

So it's not a matter of needing WXS. It's a matter of needing better blanks. If Boots or Ochopika would like to weigh in otherwise, please, I'll welcome it, but I don't think they, or any former WS wearers, really think an anvil extra-small would fit them any less like a bizarre ski-slope.

thumperchick

quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick
AdderXYU wrote:Here's the issue, though: Woot COULD HAVE fixed the 2X problem, while it seems fixing the XS one is nigh impossible.

That is what was so frustrating about this. All it would take is carrying the same size options for women's AA sizes as the men's AA. That's it. Instead, they changed to a shirt that is supposedly cut to fit "curves." While losing quality. So now the smaller frames ladies are SOL and women that asked for a 2XL *still* don't have a woot shirt they want to wear.

Narfcake

ellegee wrote:Seems like adding both a WXS and a MXS would make a lot of people happy, since multiple shapes of woman come in all sizes.

The 980 is not offered in XS at all and the 880 only has XS in black and white; seeing how they're already custom making 9 of the 16 colors, I can't imagine the logistical issues that will arise when 14 of the 16 have to be custom made for Woot.

AdderXYU wrote:So it's not a matter of needing WXS. It's a matter of needing better blanks. If Boots or Ochopika would like to weigh in otherwise, please, I'll welcome it, but I don't think they, or any former WS wearers, really think an anvil extra-small would fit them any less like a bizarre ski-slope.

Both of them have commented in the other thread already; since then, Boots went 80's on us and Ocho resorted to the sewing machine instead.

AdderXYU

Narfcake wrote:Both of them have commented in the other thread already; since then, Boots went 80's on us and Ocho resorted to the sewing machine instead.

1) I know they did. That's why I singled them out. I don't just know Ocho's size. Boots, however, may or may not have cameras outside her place.

2) Even presuming that Boots was not being snarkastic, and that Ocho really loves re-sewing her garments every time she buys a new one, the question of whether or not an XS would not still require creative alteration to be remotely wearable for them is still at large. And I still think they, and most wootettes of similar size, would be a bit skeptical of a WXS fitting all that much better.

that's basically what I'm suggesting: getting a WXS wouldn't necessarily solve the problem. It could still be too wide, it would likely continue to slope like a villain's mustache, and there is every indication that there would be a country wide sunburned-midriff epidemic.

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

All of which is why I don't bother asking for 'my' size. The odds of getting women's tall sizes are ridiculously low, they just aren't made. Even in a W2XL, AA tees don't fit me because of my height and shoulders.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

lenker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lenker

I too am a disappointed Shirtwoot fan. Sigh, how I long for the AA blanks. What I wonder is if they are offering all old shirts "printed to order" why don't they just offer them on the old blanks too? Let that be part of the selection process. Sigh, no more Woot shirts for me.

BootsBoots

quality posts: 38 Private Messages BootsBoots
AdderXYU wrote:Even presuming that Boots was not being snarkastic

Presuming that, you will be wrong 99% of the time. ;)

It's true. I wouldn't go for an XS. I don't think it'd be much better (for me, that is). Not only is the WS at least two sizes too large in every capacity except the length, the fit is just weird if you don't have a curvy body. If anything, I'd rather have a men's XS added. It's not ideal, but I think it'd be easier to pull off wearing a too-big men's shirt than wearing an ill-fitting too-big belly shirt.*

*amazingly, this comment was totally snark free!

sarahat

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sarahat
AdderXYU wrote: ...the only real way to get back to a size which would accommodate the AA women's small wearer is, well, to bring back AA shirts and their respective sizes.

It's a bigger problem than that....I wore an AA WM, and the Anvil WS is too big. We lost TWO whole sizes at the small end of the spectrum.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
sarahat wrote:It's a bigger problem than that....I wore an AA WM, and the Anvil WS is too big. We lost TWO whole sizes at the small end of the spectrum.

And those of us who adored the cut of the AA WS/WM probably aren't the target audience for the "curvier" cut of the Anvil women's shirts, either.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

AdderXYU wrote:1) I know they did. That's why I singled them out. I don't just know Ocho's size. Boots, however, may or may not have cameras outside her place.

2) Even presuming that Boots was not being snarkastic, and that Ocho really loves re-sewing her garments every time she buys a new one, the question of whether or not an XS would not still require creative alteration to be remotely wearable for them is still at large. And I still think they, and most wootettes of similar size, would be a bit skeptical of a WXS fitting all that much better.

that's basically what I'm suggesting: getting a WXS wouldn't necessarily solve the problem. It could still be too wide, it would likely continue to slope like a villain's mustache, and there is every indication that there would be a country wide sunburned-midriff epidemic.

Bahahaha! I never thought of the Anvil shirt as a villainous mustache, aaannnd now I do. Thanks.

I do NOT enjoy custom tailoring my shirts, lol. I don't even have a sewing machine at my apartment because there's no dang place to put one. That forum post was made at my parents' house (hence the ridiculously pink room). Also, even the tailored shirts get a misshapen because the quality of the fabric is just awful and canned vegetables. Boo.

An Anvil WXS is not ideal for me either. I prefer the AA blanks by far. On the initial "changing our blanks" thread it seemed like woot wasn't going back so I figured the an Anvil XS would be better than nothing at all.

If it came down to it I would be more than happy to pay more for a higher quality shirt.

*edit* The woot filter is funny. Canned vegetables are pretty gross so it still gets the point across.

Narfcake

ochopika wrote:... If it came down to it I would be more than happy to pay more for a higher quality shirt.

Many of us would.

If there's one limitation of going to anyone else other than AA, it's the colors, or rather the lack thereof in their standard catalogs for the colors that are currently being used at Woot:

AA #2102
Gildan #64000L
Next Level Apparel #3300L
Bella+Canvas #6004

As it is now with the 16 current colors, Anvil is producing 1, 9, and 11 colors of men, women, and kids (respectively) exclusive to Woot.

*edit* The woot filter is funny. Canned vegetables are pretty gross so it still gets the point across.

They're going all Thanksgiving-y on us right now. I still love the Animaniacs word filter the best, though.

neuropsychosocial wrote:And those of us who adored the cut of the AA WS/WM probably aren't the target audience for the "curvier" cut of the Anvil women's shirts, either.

From the other thread, even those who wear larger sizes have found the Anvil cut to be over-exaggerated at the bottom.

MrsBones

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MrsBones

Still hoping, waiting, wishing for MXS (although, if they are added, I'd like to see Woot using the women's' graphic size.) I bought Haunted Housework Remix in a MS because the K12 post-wash is a little too short (still wearable, but I don't like showing the world the scar from my failed navel piercing whenever I raise my arms above my head) and the print is SO. BIG. on my tiny body. I wore WM on AA (WS was a better fit for my torso, but I'm one of those smaller ladies with [small] tricep muscles, so the sleeves were a liiiiittle tight.) So I order the MS, and just sort of swim 😕

If I'm to keep buying shirts, I need MXS! Please add my size!

ravinecat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ravinecat

This frustrates me so much. So we can't get women's xs because they don't make the right colors? and we can't go back because woot just won't do it? Something neeeeeds to be done about this because a large number of us are simply dissatisfied.

Woot? Where are you? You, when I came to post this, asked me what I had to say for myself. What about you?

vielleicht

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vielleicht

I feel everybody's pain: I was an AA WM (although based off of the one AA WS I received in a trade, I'm suspecting WS would have been better). Now I've settled for the Anvil MS, although it's FAR from perfect. :\ At least my tummy doesn't hang out?

Honestly, I'm NOT even that tall - 5'6". Why on earth do they even MAKE blanks that are too short for a pretty normal-height woman to wear? Who even designed these? :|