cherylrobinson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cherylrobinson
Re: Dinnersaurs

Those history people have been hiding the truth from us for too long! Finally, a shirt that tells the real story. Kudos.

kharmazero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kharmazero
Re: Art of life

beautiful line work

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
Re: Not so bright...

Woot only allows 6 ink colors, but it does allow shading to make other colors. If you used shading, you might want to show some close-ups of how it was done, to avoid rejection.

lonelypond

quality posts: 434 Private Messages lonelypond

lonelypond

Re: Art Deco Divine - Black, Slate, or Silver Tee

looks like a deco jukebox

lonelypond

NuclearShadow

quality posts: 2 Private Messages NuclearShadow
Re: The 4th Dimension V.2

Don't get me wrong, I love it but isn't the 4th dimension time?

nokl176

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nokl176
Re: The 4th Dimension V.2

I really hope this wins. I would buy this without a doubt.

kharmazero

Re: Soul DJ

thanks a lot

harantula

quality posts: 3 Private Messages harantula
kharmazero wrote:beautiful

thanks!!

roysterer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages roysterer
Re: Rise! Great One

This is quite possibly the best depiction of Cthulhu I have ever seen. I really hope it prints.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: Art Deco Divine - Black, Slate, or Silver Tee

Woot expects you to pick on color tee per submission. If you can't decide, you can make three individual entries, but as is, this is rejectionable.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
Re: Dragonfly

Art Nouveau style.
Click for detailed view.

Mavyn

Oh this is lovely!

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

paaiyan wrote:The poster kind of ruins it for me, but that's just me.

It's a nice design and really mimics Banksy-style stencil art. I think it would be better without the poster as well. Simple is better most of the time in my experience.

However, I just have to ask the question here: Is it okay to use photos like this or not?

Here's a sharper version of the same photo:

It looks like you traced it and cleaned it up in some places, but the shading and most of the detail are directly from the photo.
I'm getting a little confused about that since a couple of designs this time were rejected for using photos, but this one hasn't been. I'm not trying to put your design down, I'm just wondering what the real restrictions are. I know it's already been discussed here many times but I just haven't seen any consistency with this rule.

I do think this is a very good design. It also shows a lot of artistic improvement in your work as far as design skills go. I'm just getting more and more confused about the photo rules.

AToro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AToro

This is an awesome shirt, mostly because "ART" are my initials.

chachachino

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chachachino
Re: Pop! goes my heartbreak

A contemporary twist on a modern take on classic comics. Yowza.

Technology gives us new ways to connect, and new ways to break some hearts.

ressamac

quality posts: 4 Private Messages ressamac
Re: Owl Nouveau

Gorgeous and I want it.

samanthastroud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samanthastroud
Re: LOVE this!! Great job +1Dragonfly

candogirldesigns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages candogirldesigns
Mavyn wrote:Woot expects you to pick on color tee per submission. If you can't decide, you can make three individual entries, but as is, this is rejectionable.

Oh, thanks so much for the info Mavyn. I did not know that. I choose black!

kharmazero

Re: Wild Skies

killer tiger!love the bright color palette

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
ochopika wrote:It's a nice design and really mimics Banksy-style stencil art. I think it would be better without the poster as well. Simple is better most of the time in my experience.

However, I just have to ask the question here: Is it okay to use photos like this or not?[/img]

It looks like you traced it and cleaned it up in some places, but the shading and most of the detail are directly from the photo.
I'm getting a little confused about that since a couple of designs this time were rejected for using photos, but this one hasn't been. I'm not trying to put your design down, I'm just wondering what the real restrictions are. I know it's already been discussed here many times but I just haven't seen any consistency with this rule.

I do think this is a very good design. It also shows a lot of artistic improvement in your work as far as design skills go. I'm just getting more and more confused about the photo rules.

Actually, that was the context of my initial comment - In the past (even in the original graffiti derby), Woot has allowed the use of historical images (like the Mona Lisa, Abraham Lincoln, etc.) as reference images, but not modern photographs (which have copyright issues associated with them). They even referenced Banksy in the rules of the original derby, and all of Banksy's work used historical images of some sort, put into a different context. Doing Banksy without historical images references is like doing Psychadelica in black and white. (Thus my original intent to submit this as daily, not a derby, until the theme was announced and fit this.)

There are only a few images we have of Poe, and I chose the one from Wikimedia (which insists on copyright-free pictures) as my reference. I didn't do a direct trace of it (there are several changes, mostly minor - like him looking up, but if it doesn't look like Poe, the joke doesn't work), but I did use the shading, etc. as my guide when drawing it out and creating a stencil from that.

As for the Poster, I understand that some don't like it (and the "less is more" thing). I made the choice to try and follow Banksy's habit of using items on the wall (signs, posters, windows, etc.) as props in his design.

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

lyonscc wrote:Actually, that was the context of my initial comment - In the past (even in the original graffiti derby), Woot has allowed the use of historical images (like the Mona Lisa, Abraham Lincoln, etc.) as reference images, but not modern photographs (which have copyright issues associated with them). They even referenced Banksy in the rules of the original derby, and all of Banksy's work used historical images of some sort, put into a different context. Doing Banksy without historical images references is like doing Psychadelica in black and white. (Thus my original intent to submit this as daily, not a derby, until the theme was announced and fit this.)

I thought that may have been why this particular photo is fine in your case. I'm still a little confused since the rejected zebra design "looks like a photo", but there isn't any photo online that it seems to be copied from. I checked pretty thoroughly because I wanted to see if the zebra photo was from a public domain site, thus deeming the rejection kind of unfair unless they're just rejecting all photos no matter what (which is what they used to do).
You said that this drawing wasn't traced, but most of the details match up exactly when I overlay the image with your drawing. I checked this on my own before I posted on your work because I wanted to be really sure that I wasn't just opening a can of worms for no reason. It's evident to me that the photo was directly copied in some way and not just used as a drawing reference. I've read the debates on your past work and all of them involve your use of digital tracing. I'm not saying that using the technique is bad or good, I'm just saying that it's pretty obvious that you did trace this photo.

I think that you totally should submit this as a daily without the poster. The colors and sharpness of the poster don't match with the soft, sketchy brick wall and spray paint texture. I would buy it and wear it without the poster and with the design right in the center of the shirt.

Adelas

quality posts: 11 Private Messages Adelas
Re: Fox Startles Ravens - Watercolor

This is beautiful. I would love a print of it.

Adelas

Re: heart of a lion Trompe-l'œil

How would this go onto a shirt? It's absolutely beautiful, but seems to be missing the placement example.

Adelas

Great idea! I hope people start noticing it

Adelas

candogirldesigns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages candogirldesigns
Re: Art Deco Divine - Black Tee

This Derby entry is a "design for design's sake". No clever witty concept art here, although I appreciate that style very much. I had a lot of fun searching Pinterest and Google for authentic Art Deco style elements, color schemes, and fonts. I wanted to recreate a sampling of this streamlined geometric style to show off on a black tee-shirt. It looks good on silver and slate as well. --Carol Borst

kellysno

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kellysno
Re: CYBER PIRATE

+1 cause it scans! awesome!

Mavyn

Adelas wrote:How would this go onto a shirt? It's absolutely beautiful, but seems to be missing the placement example.

It is shown on a tee. The background is dark, but there is definitely a black tee there.

Plebe21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Plebe21
pure5152 wrote:I'd buy this shirt just to have it framed on my wall, let alone wear it. It's absolutely gorgeous, and I hope it gets printed.

I agree whole-heartily

nellevad

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nellevad

like the full circle idea of graphic line to organic and visa versa

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

Mavyn wrote:Oh this is lovely!

Thanks very much Mavyn and samanthastroud.

vielleicht

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vielleicht
Re: "Vintage Wishes" BROWN

ooh, what a nice thing to wake up to!! my goal this Derby was to double the number of votes I received last time (18), and I just did that! I'm so pleased, thank you for the votes, even if I probably won't print.

vielleicht

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vielleicht
Re: "Vintage Wishes" SILVER

thanks so much for the votes everybody! I was hoping to hit thirty and I did, so thank you! /total newb

it's been fascinating to see which version is more popular, and follow voting trends! they were neck and neck for a while, then brown pulled ahead, and now silver is catching up again. so cool!!

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
ochopika wrote:I thought that may have been why this particular photo is fine in your case. I'm still a little confused since the rejected zebra design "looks like a photo", but there isn't any photo online that it seems to be copied from. I checked pretty thoroughly because I wanted to see if the zebra photo was from a public domain site, thus deeming the rejection kind of unfair unless they're just rejecting all photos no matter what (which is what they used to do).
You said that this drawing wasn't traced, but most of the details match up exactly when I overlay the image with your drawing. I checked this on my own before I posted on your work because I wanted to be really sure that I wasn't just opening a can of worms for no reason. It's evident to me that the photo was directly copied in some way and not just used as a drawing reference. I've read the debates on your past work and all of them involve your use of digital tracing. I'm not saying that using the technique is bad or good, I'm just saying that it's pretty obvious that you did trace this photo.

I think that you totally should submit this as a daily without the poster. The colors and sharpness of the poster don't match with the soft, sketchy brick wall and spray paint texture. I would buy it and wear it without the poster and with the design right in the center of the shirt.

I think the deal with the Zebra design was really that there were other designs similar - it looks like the front foreleg isn't anatomically correct in length, and I'm not sure it used a photo. There are other rainbow zebra shirts, tho.

When I say "traced", I'm talking about the AI function (Live Trace). I did use the photo as a guide to get the main shaded portions, along with making some tweaks around the eyes (that mostly got washed out when I started doing the stencil transformations). Some of his neck/tie, I created some AI brushes to get the right effect for the darker portions, because it was too hard to use the simple brush and/or pen tools to get it to look good enough to make a stencil. (I'm still not completely happy with it, as it makes his head look slightly a-tilt)

Per your and oRabbit's suggestion, I may resub it as a daily (sans the poster) if it doesn't get an EC or HM in the derby.

Thanks!

chachachino

Thanks
I'm glad u like it!
I changed the composition and resubmitted
If u like this one please cast your vote for the new improved version.

chachachino

Re: POP GOES MY HEARTBREAK V2

New and improved
In classic comic style
This version looks way better on a shirt than the GOBBLE GOBBLE!

Lost signals and bad connections. Modern heartbreak meets classic comics meets sexy tshirt.

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

thank you!:D

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

awesome Wences!! this should be in the fog!