1%
2%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

I love that two of the skaters are doing a forward outside eight and one is doing a forward inside eight. I think this figure might possible for a single skater with a few 3-turns and maybe rockers turns - but the best part of this design is that it makes me want grab a few of my friends and find a pond to try it out!

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

bluejester

quality posts: 563 Private Messages bluejester

I wonder if that middle kid is really fat or over bundled.

ibexscribe

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ibexscribe

This shirt is charming. It would be perfect for a hoodie.

theoneill555

quality posts: 56 Private Messages theoneill555

I am soooo confused. Have the kids discovered a new element or do they need to go back to chemistry class? Their atom is not adding up. Lithium has three electrons but it also has three protons and four neutrons. Hydrogen has 1 proton but only one electron.

That's O'neill with two L's *holds up three fingers*

lonelypond

quality posts: 421 Private Messages lonelypond

This is a fun one. And hey, I'm an English major type. Who always thought the science in science fiction was the cool part.

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

I'm curious about the probability function on those skaters. That would be the Heiseniceberg principle, right? ;P

KnoxPunkPhil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KnoxPunkPhil

And why again is this shirt not named "Nuclear Winter"?

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51

nice work! always happy to see cmdixon2 up on the main page!

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Gorgeous design! Congrats, Chris!

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Is this the first time that a reworked derby entry has been made into a daily?

I think it's a great design and love the added details that you've put into it!

samwfoster

quality posts: 2 Private Messages samwfoster
theoneill555 wrote:I am soooo confused. Have the kids discovered a new element or do they need to go back to chemistry class? Their atom is not adding up. Lithium has three electrons but it also has three protons and four neutrons. Hydrogen has 1 proton but only one electron.

its a hydrogen (as defined by the proton) with 3 electrons, radical element known as tridium. nuclear nerd in previous life.

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2

Thanks guys! I'm so glad these little dudes finally found a home at woot.

tjschaeffer wrote:Is this the first time that a reworked derby entry has been made into a daily?

I don't believe this is the first derby entry to be printed as a daily. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have submitted it. BUT I did make some much-needed changes to it so maybe that's all it takes? Either way, many thanks to woot for housing my long-orphaned ice skaters on their shirts.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma

I was wondering when "that guy" would show up.

Anyway, cool shirt, might pick one up for my wife.

theoneill555 wrote:I am soooo confused. Have the kids discovered a new element or do they need to go back to chemistry class? Their atom is not adding up. Lithium has three electrons but it also has three protons and four neutrons. Hydrogen has 1 proton but only one electron.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
cmdixon2 wrote:I don't believe this is the first derby entry to be printed as a daily. Otherwise I probably wouldn't have submitted it. BUT I did make some much-needed changes to it so maybe that's all it takes? Either way, many thanks to woot for housing my long-orphaned ice skaters on their shirts.

It's a rare occasion, so good on you for ignoring the futility of it.

for ref, here's the original:

vs. the new:

move along

cyberpenguin

quality posts: 11 Private Messages cyberpenguin
samwfoster wrote:its a hydrogen (as defined by the proton) with 3 electrons, radical element known as tridium. nuclear nerd in previous life.

This is a Hydrogen dianion, or H[sup]2-[/sup]. Sorry, Woot doesn't do superscripts, so you'll have to mentally transform the tag.

What you're thinking of is Tritium, or hydrogen-3 with one proton and two neutrons, which is highly radioactive.

But, this has one proton and 3 electrons, making it a very negatively charged hydrogen ion, which is highly reactive but not radioactive.

havingfunyet

quality posts: 2 Private Messages havingfunyet

I think this shirt is sad. The fat kid in the middle fell down, can't get up and the other kids just keep skating circles around him.

cyberpenguin

Hydrogen doesn't necessarily have just one electron. The key thing that makes hydrogen is the single proton.

Vary the proton and you change the element.

Keep the proton the same and vary the neutrons and/or electrons and you have variants of the same element.

If a hydrogen ion has no electrons, it is positively charged; H^+ (a cation).

With two electrons; H^- (an anion).

With three electrons; H^2- (a dianion).

j5

havingfunyet wrote:I think this shirt is sad. The fat kid in the middle fell down, can't get up and the other kids just keep skating circles around him.

Atomic fail.

move along

cyberpenguin

havingfunyet wrote:I think this shirt is sad. The fat kid in the middle fell down, can't get up and the other kids just keep skating circles around him.

Wouldn't you?

If the skating kids (electrons) weigh 80 lbs., that means the poor kid in the middle (proton) weighs 73.4 tons.

I'm surprised the ice is holding. That kid's the weight of two Cat Earth-Movers.

MSUandUGA

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MSUandUGA
ibexscribe wrote:This shirt is charming. It would be perfect for a hoodie.

I absolutely agree! Seems like the winter/snow shirt should at least be on a long sleeve shirt. I would totally buy it if they had that option!

leischj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leischj

19 days to deliver a shirt that I ordered on Nov 8? (And that's assuming it's delivered on the day you say it is, Nov 27.).

What's the word I'm looking for??? Oh yeah! FAIL!

Seriously, if you're going to peddle a shirt that is obviously meant for Thanksgiving ("It rose from the gravy"), then peddle it around Labor Day. Otherwise don't bother.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
leischj wrote:19 days to deliver a shirt that I ordered on Nov 8? (And that's assuming it's delivered on the day you say it is, Nov 27.).

What's the word I'm looking for??? Oh yeah! FAIL!

Seriously, if you're going to peddle a shirt that is obviously meant for Thanksgiving ("It rose from the gravy"), then peddle it around Labor Day. Otherwise don't bother.

Well do be sure to keep us posted (support@woot.com would be the place) if it doesn't arrive when it says it's supposed to.

In the meantime, let's get back on topic with this cute shirt!

I'm just hanging out, really.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

This reminds me of the weird gaps in our knowledge of physics. Until a few years ago no-one could answer why is ice slippery?

Congrats Chris, great redesign!

jman5552

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jman5552

It doesn't make sense. If the three people on the outside are meant to be electrons, then the one person in the middle should actually be seven people to correctly represent the number of protons and neutrons found in that element (which I would guess is probably lithium).

cmdixon2

quality posts: 21 Private Messages cmdixon2
jman5552 wrote:It doesn't make sense. If the three people on the outside are meant to be electrons, then the one person in the middle should actually be seven people to correctly represent the number of protons and neutrons found in that element (which I would guess is probably lithium).

Lithium was indeed my reference in designing this shirt. I just liked the idea of children skating in the form of an atom. I didn't expect any outrage towards me using a single fat kid as the nucleus. Then I realized that this is Woot and there is always outrage.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
cmdixon2 wrote:Lithium was indeed my reference in designing this shirt. I just liked the idea of children skating in the form of an atom. I didn't expect any outrage towards me using a single fat kid as the nucleus. Then I realized that this is Woot and there is always outrage.

See yesterday's shirt.

And if anyone REALLY wants to get technical, then really the electrons shouldn't be represented as discrete children, but should instead be exploded bits of children equally distributed around the fat kid.

Somehow I don't think the cuteness factor would be quite the same.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

I'm glad you have the scientific inspiration serving the idea rather than driving it Chris. It's a beautiful visual 'moment' that uses the shirt colour really well.

alanhwoot

quality posts: 38 Private Messages alanhwoot
cyberpenguin wrote:This is a Hydrogen dianion, or H[sup]2-[/sup]. Sorry, Woot doesn't do superscripts, so you'll have to mentally transform the tag.

That would be H²⁻. Although this board doesn't do [sup] it does support Unicode.

cleverett

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cleverett

Randy lay there like a slug. It was his only defense.

j5

cleverett wrote:Randy lay there like a slug. It was his only defense.

+1

move along

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
Spiritgreen wrote:Congrats Chris, great redesign!

I ordered this within a nanosecond of seeing it; I only wear my woot shirts during the cold weather months. Now if I could only buy the Predator!!!!

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 4m 42.888s
First Sucker: tanwaxlake
Last Wooter to Woot: loquatious
Last Purchase: a minute ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 0% of Shirt Woots
Bottom 0% of all Woots
Woots Sold: 341

First day sales 341
First day posts 31

AdderXYU

quality posts: 38 Private Messages AdderXYU
TheGolux wrote:Speed to First Woot: 4m 42.888s
First Sucker: tanwaxlake
Last Wooter to Woot: loquatious
Last Purchase: a minute ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 0% of Shirt Woots
Bottom 0% of all Woots
Woots Sold: 341

First day sales 341
First day posts 31

which once again proves that when wooters say "Onerous Massive Family Gathering i luvs teh sciencez and geekiness ermahgerd" they really mean "I love pedantry and terrible execution, but give me something which tries to execute a CONCEPT and DESIGN, and I dunno, couldn't you just give me another catchphrase spelled in mathematic and scientific notations?"