WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Aw, you just dribbled giblets all over your favorite t-shirt. What now?
  • 9.4% - What now? IT'S RUINED NOW! 99
  • 36% - Okay, don't panic. I just need some baking soda, seltzer water, bleach, and saliva. This can be saved. 380
  • 8.1% - I'll have to track down a place to buy a replacement. 85
  • 46.5% - Eh, it can join the many other stains that came before it. 491
1055 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

gravityisweak

quality posts: 27 Private Messages gravityisweak

What about the "NOOO! ITS RUINED I GOT THIS FROM WOOT NOW I CAN NEVER GET ANOTHER ONE LIKE THIS EVAR AGAAAAINNN!"

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
gravityisweak wrote:What about the "NOOO! ITS RUINED I GOT THIS FROM WOOT NOW I CAN NEVER GET ANOTHER ONE LIKE THIS EVAR AGAAAAINNN!"

Yeah, we don't have that problem anymore.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

littleedge

quality posts: 0 Private Messages littleedge

I had the incident of using a university dorm dryer. Which somebody previously ran a exploded pen through, leaving streaks of ink everywhere. It looked like just little scratches or marks from the fact that it was an old dryer, so I assumed everything was A-OK. 8 shirts in the dryer. Lost 5, two weren't horrible and fixed easily, while one is mildly stained but not enough for me to not wear it.

And then two days later, the catalog came out...

bluejester

quality posts: 564 Private Messages bluejester
littleedge wrote:I had the incident of using a university dorm dryer. Which somebody previously ran a exploded pen through, leaving streaks of ink everywhere. It looked like just little scratches or marks from the fact that it was an old dryer, so I assumed everything was A-OK. 8 shirts in the dryer. Lost 5, two weren't horrible and fixed easily, while one is mildly stained but not enough for me to not wear it.

And then two days later, the catalog came out...

Ah, the classic tale of trust, betrayal, loss, and finally...redemption.

lonelypond

quality posts: 424 Private Messages lonelypond

Actually my first trick is usually dish soap or shampoo to interrupt the lodging in process. Nothing works on curry stains though.

laurafoy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages laurafoy
lonelypond wrote:Actually my first trick is usually dish soap or shampoo to interrupt the lodging in process. Nothing works on curry stains though.

I second dish soap. It even works on set in grease stains.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

I've yet to meet the stain I can't get out if I care enough to try.

For ink, saturate the area with aerosol hairspray, then use a clean towel or kitchen roll paper over your finger to gentle tap at the spot. Make sure to move to new spots as the ink comes up.

For curry, Carbona Stain Wizard general treatment has always worked. It usually is the tumeric that stains (yellow), so dish soap, rinse, white vinegar, rinse, then wash as normal.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:I've yet to meet the stain I can't get out if I care enough to try.

For ink, saturate the area with aerosol hairspray, then use a clean towel or kitchen roll paper over your finger to gentle tap at the spot. Make sure to move to new spots as the ink comes up.

For curry, Carbona Stain Wizard general treatment has always worked. It usually is the tumeric that stains (yellow), so dish soap, rinse, white vinegar, rinse, then wash as normal.

Oh? Let me send you my daughter's shirt she wore to slide down the red clay embankment. I soaked that thing in oxy-whatsit for a week with no luck.

move along

Mavyn

j5 wrote:Oh? Let me send you my daughter's shirt she wore to slide down the red clay embankment. I soaked that thing in oxy-whatsit for a week with no luck.

Oxiclean won't work on a mineral stain. Windex and ammonia--soak, scrub, rinse, repeat.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:Oxiclean won't work on a mineral stain. Windex and ammonia--soak, scrub, rinse, repeat.

I bought a new one.
Now she has another camping shirt.

move along

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

If saliva doesn't get the stain out it's beyond my ability.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

strawberry144

quality posts: 0 Private Messages strawberry144

Do you have a good nutella solution?

Mavyn

strawberry144 wrote:Do you have a good nutella solution?

Freeze the item, scrape off the solids. Soak in dish detergent solution, working gently to get any remaining solids out. The dish detergent will get the grease out as well, so soak, rinse, and go.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants

Mavyn, you have to start a regular column where people send in their shirt problems. How would you get excess 'cute' out of a shirt?

Mavyn

PixelPants wrote:Mavyn, you have to start a regular column where people send in their shirt problems. How would you get excess 'cute' out of a shirt?

Sometimes, scissors are your only option.

ochopika

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

Mavyn wrote:Oxiclean won't work on a mineral stain. Windex and ammonia--soak, scrub, rinse, repeat.

Do you have to use both or can you just use ammonia? Windex is mostly ammonia but is there something else in it that makes it work?

I have lots of minerals/rust on my favorite clothes from working with steel a lot.

Mavyn

ochopika wrote:Do you have to use both or can you just use ammonia? Windex is mostly ammonia but is there something else in it that makes it work?

I have lots of minerals/rust on my favorite clothes from working with steel a lot.

You can use white vinegar instead of Windex. Make sure to remove as much of the solids as you can. I use a plastic kitchen scraper.

lonelypond

quality posts: 424 Private Messages lonelypond

will try; thanks!

caramelarrow

quality posts: 14 Private Messages caramelarrow

Obviously Mavyn is the Stain Maven of Wootdom... WOW! Great to know some new stain-fighting techniques.

And I second the motion for a special "Mavyn's Advice for the Laundry-lorn" thread.

07/11/14