Narfcake

quality posts: 292 Private Messages Narfcake

It's a very common complaint around here ...

Well, here's a fix for that if it's not too badly stretched out yet or too oversized to begin with. This thrift store find of Curiosity was still in good condition to be a candidate, and I'd hate to see a @fishbiscuit shirt go to waste, as unsold shirts usually end up going to rag houses where they're cut up and turned into rags.

DISCLAIMER: PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. I'm not responsible for damaged shirts, sewing-related injuries, etc.!

You'll need:

A properly fitting shirt for comparison. I'm using Youbetchücan! today.
Scissors with a pointy tip or a seam ripper.
3/8" wide elastic band.
A safety pin.
Color matched thread and needle.

Step 1:
Deconstruct the seam at the neck hole ribbing. You will only want to do the inside of it.

Step 2:
Cut enough elastic to go around. You will rather err on the "too long" side right now, as it will be re-cut after adjusting later.

Pin the safety pin on one end, about a quarter inch from the end.

Step 3:
Thread the elastic through. Use your fingers to push, pull, push, pull ...

Step 4:
Completed, but maybe a bit too small!

No worries. Re-pin the two ends together (so the elastic doesn't inadvertantly pull back inside) and work your way around the neck hole, adjusting the opening. Compare it against your properly fitting shirt. You don't want it to be too tight as to pucker the fabric, but you don't want it so loose that it doesn't help to keep the neck hole's shape (which is the whole intention here).

Step 5:
Adjusted now, make sure the elastic sits flat. Unpin them, cut off the excess leaving a small overlap so you can sew them together flat.

Step 6:
When done, sew the seam shut.

From the outside, it'll look no different.

Compare it to your other shirt ...

MUCH BETTER!

... and how it looks on its own.

You can see some slight ripples, as it's tighter than "normal", but otherwise, this will be about as close as one can do to make them "wearable" until we get something better. There's not much that could be done about the excessive shrinkage, though. As for the width of the women's shirts, Ochopika posted some re-sizing instructions here. Again, proceed at your own risk.

trekmiss

quality posts: 8 Private Messages trekmiss
Narfcake wrote:Well, here's a fix for that if it's not too badly stretched out yet or too oversized to begin with.

I may have to try this. Curious how it will survive washes.

Narfcake

trekmiss wrote:I may have to try this. Curious how it will survive washes.

I'm counting that it'll survive better than the shirt itself.

The fact that I'd have to resort to this means that no, I'm not going to start buying up more shirts; it's still too hard to justify spending $15+ on a shirt I'd have to modify to fit well.

trekmiss

quality posts: 8 Private Messages trekmiss
Narfcake wrote:I'm counting that it'll survive better than the shirt itself.

The fact that I'd have to resort to this means that no, I'm not going to start buying up more shirts; it's still too hard to justify spending $15+ on a shirt I'd have to modify to fit well.

Yeah, but it may give the $1.66 random shirt (with jumbowoot coupon applied) a little longer life span.

Narfcake

trekmiss wrote:Yeah, but it may give the $1.66 random shirt (with jumbowoot coupon applied) a little longer life span.

True. I've tended to use my coupons on other stuff, though, so randoms will still be 6.66 (+tax) each for me. The thing is, I've even passed up AA Woot shirts at $2 or less ... and do I really need more shirts?

(Rhetorical question - don't answer that!)

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
Narfcake wrote:...do I really need more shirts?

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909
trekmiss wrote:Yeah, but it may give the $1.66 random shirt (with jumbowoot coupon applied) a little longer life span.

Where do you find woot coupons?

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
neuropsychosocial wrote:

LOLOLOL!

Back on topic: Is there a fix for the bell bottom? I went to put on my "haunted robot" Sunday and it had a certain.....flare to it.

I felt like Phil from the rugrats.

move along

vivbot

quality posts: 29 Private Messages vivbot
j5 wrote:Back on topic: Is there a fix for the bell bottom? I went to put on my "haunted robot" Sunday and it had a certain.....flare to it.

The only fix I can think of for the flare is to cut a straighter line and put in your own side seams, kind of like how ochopika demonstrated for re-sizing...

Narfcake

vivbot wrote:The only fix I can think of for the flare is to cut a straighter line and put in your own side seams, kind of like how ochopika demonstrated for re-sizing...

To be honest, I'm not sure how a men's shirt (which is tubular in construction) is going to work.

As these shirts have a tendency to stretch width-wise (and shrink length-wise), after the wash, grab the top seam/bottom hem and give it a tug length-wise, which should pull back some of the fabric. Work your way around to kind of shape the shirt back before hanging it up to dry.

That's about all I can think of.

chellemonkey

quality posts: 5 Private Messages chellemonkey
Narfcake wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure how a men's shirt (which is tubular in construction) is going to work.

As these shirts have a tendency to stretch width-wise (and shrink length-wise), after the wash, grab the top seam/bottom hem and give it a tug length-wise, which should pull back some of the fabric. Work your way around to kind of shape the shirt back before hanging it up to dry.

That's about all I can think of.

I haven't tried this myself but I came across this post the other day. Maybe it could help some shrunk shirts? http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/10/how-to-resize-shrunken-clothes.html