WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Which volume of the original Hobbit trilogy was your favorite?
  • 33.7% - Volume 1: “Dwarf Madness" 227
  • 32% - Volume 2: “That’s got a nice RING to it!” 216
  • 34.3% - Volume 3: “Esgaroth’s nice, except for all the SMOG.” 231
674 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Quality Posts

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

The What?

Ouijan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ouijan

Shouldn't it be "Smaug" in the 3rd option?

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

Trilogy?

sunnyx0r

quality posts: 9 Private Messages sunnyx0r
Ouijan wrote:Shouldn't it be "Smaug" in the 3rd option?

Seconded.

stnkyjoe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stnkyjoe

Huh?

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

sunnyx0r wrote:Seconded.

It's a pun, you guys. They know what it's supposed to be. They're just being punny about it.

Also, I frown at this poll and what it represents about the films versus the book. I have large issues with how Tolkien's legacy is being handled movie-wise. I just pray to all the gods that they never get their hands on the Silmarillion. As Christopher Tolkien said, “They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people 15 to 25, and it seems that The Hobbit will be the same kind of film.”

I'm still gonna go see it at the midnight showing on its opening, though. The visuals and some of the actors are perfect, at least. That's one thing I could never criticize: they got the look of it all perfect (and many/most of the actors in LotR are on the mark, though dunno about the new ones in tH yet, obviously).

Update: Awwww, I'm not offended about the poll! I'm just crazy-fan butthurt about the sacrilege done to the spirit and elegance and beauty of Tolkien's original works and how the intent and meaning of his work will now be mainly framed by the pop culture lens of Hollywood Adventure Time In Middle Earth rather than the deep richness of the original texts because reading nowadays seems to be turning into a shallow pop market that primarily consists of Fifty Shades tripe and YA books read by adults because omg words! THAT'S ALL. JUST THAT. I AM NOT OFFENDED OR WHATEVER OMGZ YOU PEOPLE UGH GET OFF MY LAWN.

(Thank you for the QP!)

roadlizard7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadlizard7

There was only one book, not a trilogy.

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

roadlizard7 wrote:There was only one book, not a trilogy.

thatsthejoke.jpg

joebowles52

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joebowles52

You dudes need to learn how to read. There was one book not a freaking trilogy. Christmas sweaters.

goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

joebowles52 wrote:You dudes need to learn how to read. There was one book not a freaking trilogy. Christmas sweaters.

Indeed! Exercising one's reading and reading comprehension skills is never an unwise action! For anyone!

Phoulmouth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Phoulmouth

You forgot the options for "hated them all due to horrible writing."

stup922

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stup922
Phoulmouth wrote:You forgot the options for "hated them all due to horrible writing."

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
goldenthorn wrote:Also, I frown at this poll and what it represents about the films versus the book. I have large issues with how Tolkien's legacy is being handled movie-wise. I just pray to all the gods that they never get their hands on the Silmarillion. As Christopher Tolkien said, “They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people 15 to 25, and it seems that The Hobbit will be the same kind of film.”

I'm not sure they were the worst adaptations ever. The Two Towers was pretty "wat?" but for the most part they were about what I thought they would be. I am surprised that Christopher would be complaining though. Someone had to sell them the rights, and I'm pretty sure it was him so what the hell is he complaining for if he didn't make sure that they followed a particular vision?

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

I'm waiting for this question to come out as a movie so I can understand it and then answer.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

wepnar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wepnar

As Christopher Tolkien said, “They eviscerated the book by making it an action movie for young people 15 to 25, and it seems that The Hobbit will be the same kind of film.”

I wonder if Richard Wagner would claim that Tolkein "eviscerated" his Der Ring des Nibelungen? Tolkein seems to have borrowed (stolen) several of the main points of the opera for his work which was in turn based on Nordic and Germanic myths... So culture recycles itself and the movies are just the latest incarnation of that.