WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

You may have noticed our current sale extolling the virtues of Robbie Lee's classic design The Fat Unicorn, but we figured we'd give you guys a little insight on just why we decided to bring this one back. Obviously it's a cool design, and it's one of our fan favorites, but there's more to it than that.

See, Robbie Lee's work caught the eye of some of the people at Loaded Boards, a Culver City, CA-based skateboard shop. They liked it so much they approached Robbie about using the design as the signature graphic on their new downhill/freeride/freestyle board, The Chubby Unicorn. Why Chubby Unicorn? We have no idea, but according to them, the board is "way burlier." Good enough for us!

We were super pumped to have a Shirt.Woot artist get some well-deserved recognition like this, so we're happy that the folks at Loaded Boards took the time to reach out. Congratulations, Robbie Lee! And if you spy any other Shirt.Woot designs or artists making a splash beyond the hallowed hamper of Shirt.Woot, let us know! We love to celebrate the people who help make our little corner of the t-shirt universe so cool.

kevlar51

quality posts: 47 Private Messages kevlar51

That's really awesome--congrats Robbie!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
kevlar51 wrote:That's really awesome--congrats Robbie!

I concur!

I have a shirt catalog, y'all!

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn

And now the text on the light blue remix makes sense.

Congrats, Robbie, and congrats to Loaded Board for scoring such an great design!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

Hold up!
PTO ?!
Are these DTG?

TLA

Mavyn

quality posts: 23 Private Messages Mavyn
j5 wrote:Hold up!
PTO ?!
Are these DTG?

TLA

I doubt it. All of the side sale items say PTO, but they're screen printed. Given the ship date, I can't see them jumping in line for the outstanding orders.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 39 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Hooray! Congrats, Robbie. This is really awesome. :D

PixelPants

quality posts: 70 Private Messages PixelPants

Congratulations Robbie! It's a tasteful addition to the board. Thanks for opening the doors to skate.woot

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

Woot doesn't own the designs once printed?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Narfcake

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Narfcake

Woo, congrats, Robbie!

kylemittskus wrote:Woot doesn't own the designs once printed?

IIRC, they own the printing rights, but not the actual design.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
Narfcake wrote:IIRC, they own the printing rights, but not the actual design.

Yup - we frequently say that "woot owns the rights," but the copyright resides with the artist (and printing rights with woot). This is the second time recently that a woot-design has appeared outside of woot's domain, and I think it's awesome that woot is working things out so that the artists can have those opportunities.

Congratulations, Robbie!

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

Texbordr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Texbordr

That Loaded deck had been in prototype for YEARS! We would get little glimpses of it in videos and fan-pics in forums, it was something of an in-joke in the longboarding community. It became something of a myth; like a unicorn.

As for chubby? I don't know for sure, but it is shaped a bit differently than most downhill or freeride decks.

Typical freeride:

Typical downhill:

And the Chubby Unicorn:

Howdeh.

j5

Texbordr wrote:That Loaded deck had been in prototype for YEARS! We would get little glimpses of it in videos and fan-pics in forums, it was something of an in-joke in the longboarding community. It became something of a myth; like a unicorn.

They could have called it Duke Nukem Forever.

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129

Thanks, guys. Yeah, this board has been in development for years- in fact it was a couple of years ago that they first approached me about using the design. It really is beautiful, too- unlike any board I've seen. Big, fat thanks to Joel for working with me and Loaded to make it happen!

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

That's pretty awesome. It's a little sad that the design on the bottom is so small though.