WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Science:
  • 5.5% - I don’t know much about it. 61
  • 28.2% - I read about it for fun sometimes. 311
  • 34.4% - I took a few classes about it college. 379
  • 19.3% - I majored in it in college. 213
  • 7.1% - I studied it further in grad school. 78
  • 5.4% - I have a doctorate in it. 60
1102 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ardubu


quality posts: 6 Private Messages ardubu

She BLINDED me with...
S*C*I*E*N*C*E!!!!!

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

curtisuxor


quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor

I like my science like I like my mashed potatoes: soft.

Preference for political.

safyrejet


quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

Still studying it in grad school. Hey I'll have my doctorate eventually. In engineering technically but I'll have the word "science" in my engineering type. It counts.

tamartarken


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tamartarken

Too bad "teach it" wasn't an option!

epicsatyr


quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicsatyr

To bad "a fan" isn't an option. don't have professional training, but I love to hear when a planet is discovered, and lost.....Sorry Pluto :-(

rightturnclyde


quality posts: 4 Private Messages rightturnclyde

Science isn't so much a course of study as it is a way of life. It's a hunger for understanding, a need for order, and a desire for mastery of one's environment. It is my religion, and I am its disciple.

tjschaeffer


quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
safyrejet wrote:Still studying it in grad school. Hey I'll have my doctorate eventually. In engineering technically but I'll have the word "science" in my engineering type. It counts.



Engineering is a branch of applied science, so it definitely counts! And since I have a master's in engineering, I tell myself that every day.

Well, I also have a BS in Physics, but I don't use that...

robertwooddellweaver


quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertwooddellweaver
tjschaeffer wrote:Engineering is a branch of applied science, so it definitely counts!



I have a doctorate in math. It is like science, but without the test tubes and hex wrenches and the like.

hippie1981


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

Science is one of my favorite subjects. Definitely fun to read about. And I took several college classes in different areas of it.

gusvonpooch


quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch

I'm in favor of science,always was and always will be.

ReginaFilangee


quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee

I'm a surgeon, which is both a science and an art at the same time....the ultimate combination of the two, imo.

(FTR, my alternative career choice would have been engineering...specifically, aerospace...and/or something involving both theoretical and applied mathematics/calculus/physics....and creative writing.)

Just call me Sheldonette.

May the Crap be with you all!!!

curtisuxor


quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor
ReginaFilangee wrote:I'm a surgeon, which is both a science and an art at the same time....the ultimate combination of the two, imo.

(FTR, my alternative career choice would have been engineering...specifically, aerospace...and/or something involving both theoretical and applied mathematics/calculus/physics....and creative writing.)

Just call me Sheldonette.



Pheebs, technically speaking there are a few other fields that have artistic and scientific approaches. Psychology, for one, can be a BA or BS degree depending on the courses one takes and the university attended.

More philosophically, one can apply the science & art dichotomy to fields that give people freedom to interpret (art) as well as analyze objectively and critically (science).

ReginaFilangee


quality posts: 8 Private Messages ReginaFilangee
curtisuxor wrote:Pheebs, technically speaking there are a few other fields that have artistic and scientific approaches. Psychology, for one, can be a BA or BS degree depending on the courses one takes and the university attended.

More philosophically, one can apply the science & art dichotomy to fields that give people freedom to interpret (art) as well as analyze objectively and critically (science).



Who is this Pheebs of which you speak??? My name is Regina. Regina FILANGEE.

But I said for you to call me Sheldonette. Are you having trouble with your reading skills? *knocks you in the head*
;-)

I don't disagree with you. What I stated was, "....the ultimate combination of the two, imo." The examples you gave are also combinations of science and art, but mine is the ultimate combination (in my opinion.)


May the Crap be with you all!!!