quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Do you have a tattoo?
  • 15.3% - Yes, one. 308
  • 19.4% - Yes, several. 391
  • 59.6% - No. 1202
  • 5.7% - Does the tattoo on my cat count? (Cattoo) 115
2016 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

moles1138

quality posts: 8 Private Messages moles1138

Thought that I'd get one for my 50th. The day came and went. Now I think "Why?".

epicsatyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicsatyr

That cat tat sounds pretty painful....thank goodness I was born a dude

jhb0131

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhb0131

niece beautiful girl but she is sleeved both arms what was she thinking.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

I don't have any, but I have several friends with gorgeous artwork.

Read this. It's sad that it needs to be said. Judging someone for ink? Really? Get over yourself.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
Mavyn wrote:I don't have any, but I have several friends with gorgeous artwork.

Read this. It's sad that it needs to be said. Judging someone for ink? Really? Get over yourself.

conversely, I have friends with the equivalent of "prison tats", so YMMV.

move along

samanthakorrinn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages samanthakorrinn

I picked out a design that is significant to me and then waited 5 years. After that time, I still wanted it so I went for it and I haven't regretted it since.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow

Back to back tattoo questions? Are you guys researching a possible ink.woot?

emreynolds74

quality posts: 1 Private Messages emreynolds74

I refer to mine as my "Fattoo" since I got it in my skinnier days.

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

I want a tattoo like I want a Ferrari. It would be fun, but I can't justify the purchase.

calicojack42

quality posts: 3 Private Messages calicojack42

Funny thing- my dog has an honest to goodness tattoo. He's a shelter dog, and when they neutered him, they also tattooed PCHS (Pike County Humane Society) on his thigh. I call it his prison tatt.

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

I've got 4. Only one was on a whim (my 2nd one), but I regret none of them. They all have meaning to me and they all can be covered up.

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday
Mavyn wrote:I don't have any, but I have several friends with gorgeous artwork.

I did read that, and as I mentioned in some tattoo thread a while back, it is really sad how sexist people are about them. I'm also a little sad I read the comments. I really hate victim blaming, but at least there are a lot of good people out there calling frostbites on their gift.

As for my own tattoos, I only have two currently, but I have concrete plans for at least two more. I hope to get one of them soon, I've just been too busy/lazy to talk to my artist (and I'm not sure exactly how I want it to look just yet).

Back to the blog post. None of my are visible with normal attire mostly for professional reasons, but the personal/for display continuum does interest me. I do like to show them off and I appreciate when other people appreciate them, but at the same time, if no one ever saw them I'd still want them.

Anyway, tattoos are awesome. Go get one! And then get four!

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

I have two in work-discreet locations. The first I researched and planned for three years, then finally got it the autumn of my 18th year. The second I planned for a year before getting it inked. The emotional importance and beauty of these physical symbols of memory and being are so damned worth it and always will be. Every time I see them on myself, a part of me goes back to when I was inspired to, planned for, and got them. It's not just a thought, memory, or feeling. The art of the physical loops in to the mental and it--the memory, my feelings, the world, my self--becomes something a little brighter, fuller, more layered and nuanced. They may be stupid or ugly or silly or whatever tattoos to others. Hells, they very well may actually BE those things. (The first one isn't aging too well, that's for sure; I insisted on thick lines that are now starting to fuzz and likely need re-inking.) But I just don't care, because for me they are personal celebrations of my life being lived.

j5

mrwednesday wrote:I did read that, and as I mentioned in some tattoo thread a while back, it is really sad how sexist people are about them

I just read that also, and was a bit disturbed but not really surprised to find out that people actually do those things.

move along

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate.

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

chrisdazzo

quality posts: 6 Private Messages chrisdazzo

Kept mine corporate-friendly: half-sleeve on the left arm, and another on my right shoulder blade.

Remember 2 key things: tattoos are forever, and you get what you pay for. For example, my artist charges $125/hour, and his work is amazing imho. Obviously, prices will vary, but if you get a tattoo in a kitchen, bedroom, or for $50 an hour, chances are it'll be garbage. Trust me.

And you kids (haha, listen to me, 'you kids') better stop getting anchors, sugar skulls, ships, memes, and cliches. Be original! Your body will thank you.

/justmy2cents

I'll be your Apple man.

charlottesumxs

quality posts: 2 Private Messages charlottesumxs

I'm getting #6 in less than two weeks! Love them. They're like life souvenirs that weigh nothing and will never get lost!

cherrybear

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cherrybear

I've got one. Small, and only visible if I choose. After a decade I still like it, but I'm very pleased that I never got any others. I'm also happy that it's not a tramp stamp, and that it's an incredibly simple symbol which will likely age well.

j5

I have Leviticus 19:28 on my flank in Papyrus font.

move along

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

They're not for me, so no. What I don't get is why people get bad ones. Like a commenter said, pay for quality. So many people get absolutely TERRIBLE tattoos that look like they did them personally, and it's just awful. If it's going to be on you for life, make sure you put the amount of money a lifetime commitment deserves.

omistew

quality posts: 1 Private Messages omistew

Does my little friend looking for airplanes count?

Sati

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Sati

Should've put an option for "Yes, but I wish I could un-do ;em". Seems to be a common sentiment years later.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
j5 wrote:I have Leviticus 19:28 on my flank in Papyrus font.

I'm not sure if I believe you.

Mavyn

A very dear friend of mine has threatened to hold me down and write Papyrus, written in Comic Sans, as a tramp stamp, using a Sharpie.

The number of people willing to assist her in this assault upon my person is disturbing.

lazy8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lazy8

The Counter-Tat!

lazy8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lazy8

About the poll: the 'no' option should have been split. Responders could have answered: No but planning on it, No not ever, or No but haven't ruled it out.

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

Hey woot, looks like someone beat you to the punch!

http://www.odditycentral.com/news/russian-tattoo-artist-has-his-pet-cat-tattooed.html

that was fun while it lasted!

j5

Mavyn wrote:A very dear friend of mine has threatened to hold me down and write Papyrus, written in Comic Sans, as a tramp stamp, using a Sharpie.

The number of people willing to assist her in this assault upon my person is disturbing.

How dear can this person be?

move along

TheMan2689

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheMan2689

I have my daughter's name in a heart and ribbon on my arm

Mavyn

j5 wrote:How dear can this person be?

She's family that I chose...doesn't get much dearer. ;)

vault22

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vault22

Just seems like too much of a lifetime commitment for me. As such, I don't have one.

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick

thumperchick

quality posts: 238 Private Messages thumperchick

Have 3. One more in my head. But there's always "one more" in my head.

Small tattoo that I'd thought about for years as a teenager, put on at 19.
Big piece (across shoulder blades) that had also been in my head for years, put on at 27.
Wedding band symbol put on a few months ago. (I would advise you take extreme care getting hand/finger tats - both in location and what you have done. I'm happy with mine, but it will have to be touched up many times over my lifetime.)

Flipit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Flipit

Staff

I have a decimal point on my kneecap where my brother stabbed me with a pencil in the 4th grade.