None shall pass.

Oops wrong British guy.

I don't know.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

Zing! Nathan strikes again!

rundrk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rundrk

I'm sorry, the Balrog was much taller than that sign and he was not allowed to pass...

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

Very prescient, Nathan! "Although director Peter Jackson seeks to create an amazing new cinematic experience with 3D technology at 48 frames per second, it seems like it has some drawbacks. Apparently, The Hobbit is far too much like a roller coaster." (from an article about the upcoming film, a sentiment echoed in a number of early reviews)

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

kuhnj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kuhnj
rundrk wrote:I'm sorry, the Balrog was much taller than that sign and he was not allowed to pass...

Yeah but Gandalf was hypnotized shallow hal style, so he saw the inner size of the balrog.

Now if someone had said "shallow Gandalf wants a standoff," the movie could've turned out differently.

I realize how unfunny this post is but I spent like four minutes on it so it's too late now. No going back.

safyrejet

quality posts: 121 Private Messages safyrejet

hehe, cute use of the "you shall not pass" line. I love how the halfling is even standing on tiptoes.

Also, there are many movies based on books that I wish would just change the title when they are so far removed from the book. It would save us a lot of trouble.

MukYJ

quality posts: 1 Private Messages MukYJ
Thirdbase9 wrote:None shall pass.

Multipass?

Scullboyknc

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Scullboyknc

Yes, but what has it got in its pocketses, precious???

bertomeeggo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bertomeeggo
MukYJ wrote:Multipass?

Yes...HE KNOWS it's a multipass...anyway, we're in love.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle

HA! At the roller coaster comparison to watching THE HOBBIT. I can't wait to feel the nausea!

I would say this woot writer bio of me is true of younger Nathan. I was a bit afraid of this ride called KING COBRA at King's Island growing up. (Ohio kid here) - anyway, now I love roller coasters, but yeah, King Cobra scared me.

stay@homedad

quality posts: 4 Private Messages stay@homedad

I think this shirt would have been funnier if pass and not pass were swapped. Then fill the line with halflings and one random balrog thrown in there. Hilarious idea though!

skatimmy737

quality posts: 207 Private Messages skatimmy737

Why is the Baggins at a theme park anyway? Hobbits don't go for adventures.

rrearleii

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rrearleii

This doesn't even make sense. Gandalf was saying "You shall not pass" to a creature that was taller than any of the fellowship. If anything, he should be holding his hand really high and anything under it should be able to pass, not the other way around.

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

The best part is when the hobbit tries to go in anyway, and the sign starts screaming.

YOOOOUU SHALL NOT PAAAAASSSS!!!!

Wear this shirt the day before you wear "Fly You Fools!" and see if anyone notices. Or wear it the day after and see if anyone calls you out on chronology.

jonwhoa

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jonwhoa

Well, it doesn't look like that hobbit is missing out on much. That roller coaster doesn't look like it has an exit and only goes around in a circle!

GrammarYahtzee

quality posts: 8 Private Messages GrammarYahtzee
rrearleii wrote:This doesn't even make sense . . .

(Don LaFontaine voice)
In a world where Sauron's forces have been defeated, Goblin hordes have been eradicated, the elves have gone into the west, and Smaug has been long dead. A lone wizard struggles with new foes: a bad economy, high unemployment, and ageism. Desperate to find a venue where his magic will be accepted, Gandalf T. Grey begins life anew as a Carnival Barker proudly proclaiming the height requirement for the amusement rides. It seems an easy job, but it takes courage and valor to deny passage to even the bravest of adventurers, some of whom can really give you a nasty bite on the shin.
(/Don LaFontaine)

and, from the woot-blurb, "mouthes?" Really, mouthes? Are we not even using sepll cehck anymore?

kiltedbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiltedbear

I don't understand why this design was allowed, but the one submitted with the donut and the shadow of who apparently was Homer was rejected due to potential copyright, etc? Seems like the reject/not rejected based on those grounds is a completely arbitrary decision to me after seeing this shirt. Just saying...

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma
kiltedbear wrote:I don't understand why this design was allowed, but the one submitted with the donut and the shadow of who apparently was Homer was rejected due to potential copyright, etc? Seems like the reject/not rejected based on those grounds is a completely arbitrary decision to me after seeing this shirt. Just saying...

It's because The Simpsons (creators/owners/legalisians) are copyright I wanted you guys to know I'm ignorant's and will sue anything that remotely resembles anything they've ever done. ever. and the simpsons has done everything.

thegoodtofu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thegoodtofu
rrearleii wrote:This doesn't even make sense. Gandalf was saying "You shall not pass" to a creature that was taller than any of the fellowship. If anything, he should be holding his hand really high and anything under it should be able to pass, not the other way around.

Like a Balrog...

badfishe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages badfishe

Congrats on this one, great joke Nathan!

Next up: Gandalf, driving instructor. Failing Balrogs since the Third Age.

cobraman61

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cobraman61

The Christmas shirt from yesterday,wellllllll when Woot says overnight shipping for 5 bucks,they mean it,it just arrived a few minutes ago,Fedex.Thanks Woot!!!!

kmontrose

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kmontrose
kiltedbear wrote:I don't understand why this design was allowed, but the one submitted with the donut and the shadow of who apparently was Homer was rejected due to potential copyright, etc? Seems like the reject/not rejected based on those grounds is a completely arbitrary decision to me after seeing this shirt. Just saying...

Sadly, LOTR is not under copyright protection in the US and is now in public domain. Have you ever noticed how many publishers offer the books?
One Public Domain to Rule Them All

griffin890

quality posts: 0 Private Messages griffin890
rrearleii wrote:This doesn't even make sense. Gandalf was saying "You shall not pass" to a creature that was taller than any of the fellowship. If anything, he should be holding his hand really high and anything under it should be able to pass, not the other way around.

YOU'RE JUST THINKING TOO MUCH, IT'S JUST USING THE LINE TO BE FUNNY.

REMEMBER, NO BRAIN NO PAIN

oakenspirit

quality posts: 75 Private Messages oakenspirit

I am trying really hard not to replace my beloved Gandalf mental image with a Carny hanging out with child-like hobbits...

I am trying SO HARD...

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Perfect timing! Nice one, Nathan. ^__^

ghf3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ghf3
bertomeeggo wrote:Yes...HE KNOWS it's a multipass...anyway, we're in love.

thanks, dammit... now i have to watch 5th element :P

jediobiwan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jediobiwan

I'm hoping against hope that this will ship tomorrow so I can have it for the premier. Print Woot Print!

sparklecoogs

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sparklecoogs
kmontrose wrote:Sadly, LOTR is not under copyright protection in the US and is now in public domain. Have you ever noticed how many publishers offer the books?
One Public Domain to Rule Them All

The books are still protected by copyright. Read the article you linked closely and you'll see that the series "was restored to copyright in the United States on January 1, 1996 — just in time for the movies." I've had an opportunity to work on the audiobook versions, and can tell you the Tolkien estate protects its copyrights fiercely. Also, the number of publishers who offer the book has little to do with whether or not a work is public domain. Sure, if it's public domain, anybody can publish it. But even if a work is still protected by copyright, numerous publishers can produce versions of the work, so long as they have contracted with the copyright holder to do so.

In cases like this, I'm guessing Woot! has to make judgment calls, because representations of intellectual property often fall into a gray area, and some copyright holders will put up a stink while others couldn't care less as long as you're not blatantly ripping them off.

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 0m 56.008s
First Sucker: sadeth
Last Wooter to Woot: ESUman
Last Purchase: 6 minutes ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 0% of Shirt Woots
Bottom 0% of all Woots
Woots Sold: 1347

First day sales 1347
First day posts 30