mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

Going to be a quick post this week, but it was a bit of a surprise last week. I guess we might need to watch out for a sneak preview in the coming weeks depending on who the guest editors actually are. I think my pick this week will probably be moot, but I can't think what else I would choose:

Níðhöggr by helgram

This bad boy shot up into the fog like a rocket it seems. Given how late it was subbed and that it's now in the fog, I am kind of assuming it's going to print. It would be well deserved. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that I really enjoy Norse mythology, and this is a really nice depiction. It follows a lot of the classic style that you would see for this kind of design, but there is enough unique elements that it doesn't feel stale. The colors are really nice, and I also really like the detail in the dragons face along with the small easter egg type things like the helm and the sword hilt(?). This'll probably be a purchase if it prints.

jasneko: 2
truffleshuffle: 2
Josephus: 2
rglee: 1
odysseyroc/rglee: 1
Radscoolian: 1
plainyoghurt: 1
qetza: 1
wirdou: 1
daledreams:1
ste7venl: 1
Ike Motta/Tobe Fonseca: 1
ilovedoodle: 1
Randyotter: 1
imsochady: 1
helgram: 1

blk909

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blk909

[b]Nebulous Nightingale[b] by kdeuce. Nebulous Nightingale

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

My pick as well. Despite my dislike of black shirts, the patterns and colors are gorgeous and would be lost on anything else.

Níðhöggr by helgram

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
mrwednesday wrote:along with the small easter egg type things like the helm and the sword hilt(?).

That's probably Mjölnir, the hammer of Thor.

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian

I agree with the choices here. Helgram is one seriously under-printed artist.

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

As much as I do think the design everyone picking by Helgram is great (really, it is!) I thought I would change things up a bit and pick a different entry.

My choice is Neural Network by orabbit

I didn't want to pick a ninja or narwhal design, since they're both obvious N words, even though there are many good designs with those as subjects.

But I like orabbit's design because of the choice of colors and the elements that make it up. It's one of those designs where you don't need to know that it was part of a themed derby or that it's a representation of a neural network to think it is a good design.

mrwednesday

bluetuba wrote:That's probably Mjölnir, the hammer of Thor.

Yes it is. Don't know why I didn't think of that.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Well, with my overwhelming favorite already chosen twice I'd choose this instead

Because it's hilarious and kinda naughty.

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Yes! My pick also. I need this shirt.

bluetuba wrote:Well, with my overwhelming favorite already chosen twice I'd choose this instead

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
bluetuba wrote:Well, with my overwhelming favorite already chosen twice

I'm not really a fan of Helgram's design. It's nice and all but not really my thing.

I'd choose this instead

QFT

move along

mrwednesday

bluetuba wrote:Well, with my overwhelming favorite already chosen twice I'd choose this instead

Woot should print both, in my opinion.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
mrwednesday wrote:Going to be a quick post this week, but it was a bit of a surprise last week. I guess we might need to watch out for a sneak preview in the coming weeks depending on who the guest editors actually are.

I'm pretty sure Orabbit didn't know he was going to be GE when he made his pick last week.
The conspiracist in me says they picked him because of his choice in the GE thread.

move along

orabbit

quality posts: 29 Private Messages orabbit
j5 wrote:I'm pretty sure Orabbit didn't know he was going to be GE when he made his pick last week.
The conspiracist in me says they picked him because of his choice in the GE thread.

I will say that I got the email asking me to be guest editor within an hour of posting my pick in last week's thread. Strange coincidence.

And thanks for the pick, TJ!