WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Is there anything better than a good night's sleep? Besides a nice afternoon nap, obviously. Sleep is awesome. Sleep is the only thing I have to look forward to when I get up in the morning. So this week give us your odes to obdormire with the best sleep-inspired designs you can muster. 

• No Pop Culture
  • No text
  • Design must be on a Black, Navy, Royal, Silver, or White tee.

Fun Fact: No one's actually sure why we need sleep.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

I love this theme.

I'm just hanging out, really.

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 34 Private Messages omarfeliciano

Ahhh, great theme. Too bad I won't be able to participate this week. I'll be traveling to NYC this next week.

So good luck everybody! I'll still vote for my favorites while I'm gone!

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

As winter settles in and we've traded flat sheets for fleece ones at the Squall household (turning the bed into an insane cocoon of ever-increasing warmth), this is a topic near and dear to me. I am excited to see what amazing shirts the artists can come up with this week.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

InB4 127 "Sleep of Reason" entries.
or is that pop cult?

move along

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

zzzzzzzzzz

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Shouldn't we have a double take somewhen? XDXD

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman

Nice, this one has potential.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
wirdou wrote:Shouldn't we have a double take somewhen? XDXD

In between Christmas and New Years, perhaps. ;)

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit

What's going to win - cute or abstract? i.e. A pile of sleeping RamyB cats, or a splat-tastic Kharmazero dream?

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc

oh joy! Can't wait to see all of the cats in the fog this week...again

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc

Can we have a "No Cats" rule in one of these Derbys? I know, I know, there would be no entries since that's all most can draw...lol

noxandpy

quality posts: 2 Private Messages noxandpy

Oh my giggles!!! SQUEEE!!!! :P

I've been wanting to do a sleepy sloth design for aaaaages!!!! /happy dance.

Sorry...

I'm excitable.

j5

NB4 139 Coffee designs.

move along

KWildman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KWildman

If someone were to do a funny shirt regarding college students and sleep (or lack thereof), I'd love you.

(I'm an engineering student)

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

What about a cat dreaming he was a penguin wishing he could fly so he could see the top of a mouse maze from above so he could find the lab rat?

TheMum

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheMum
KWildman wrote:If someone were to do a funny shirt regarding college students and sleep (or lack thereof), I'd love you.

That is precisely the route I am thinking.

palpie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages palpie
oakenspirit wrote:What about a cat dreaming he was a penguin wishing he could fly so he could see the top of a mouse maze from above so he could find the lab rat?

needs a turtle.

beware1984

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beware1984

Are things like Rip Van Winkle and the Sandman considered Pop culture?

oakenspirit

beware1984 wrote:Are things like Rip Van Winkle and the Sandman considered Pop culture?

I would say RVW = YES since Irving created it,,, Morpheus, THE Sandman = yes (sadly... I wanted to make an endless shirt SO BAD)...

the sandman concept ... no - he is folklore...

Narfcake

quality posts: 287 Private Messages Narfcake
orabbit wrote:What's going to win - cute or abstract? i.e. A pile of sleeping RamyB cats, or a splat-tastic Kharmazero dream?

I think it's finals week for Ramy, so I'll rule that one out at least.

j5

oakenspirit wrote:I would say RVW = YES since Irving created it

I would say no, since he's not a copyrightable character.

move along

Mavyn

Sandman is one of the characters in Rise of the Guardians, though, so...would have to be careful to avoid similarities.

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
KWildman wrote:If someone were to do a funny shirt regarding college students and sleep (or lack thereof), I'd love you.

Sorry to break it to you man, it doesn't change much once you get into the field. Still lots of late night deadlines.
(I'm an engineer too)

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
beware1984 wrote:Are things like Rip Van Winkle and the Sandman considered Pop culture?

I would say RVW = no, since it was in 1819 and that's not exactly "pop" to me... closer to folklore at this point

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 92 Private Messages Thirdbase9

I think I shall take a nap, and perhaps dream up an idea.

I don't know.

QuigglyPhD

quality posts: 0 Private Messages QuigglyPhD

Was thinking of doing the Greek God of sleep Hypnos... here's a sketch of something it might look like

SkekTek

quality posts: 17 Private Messages SkekTek

Fun facts about sleep:

Penguins don't sleep. They can turn half the brain off at a time, to be easily awakened if something tries to eat them (unihemispheric sleep).

Cats sleep more than any other large mammal, and spend a lot of time in REM

There's not enough tryptophan in turkey to actually make people sleepy. Most of the sleepiness after Turkey feasting is due to having a full stomach (called postprandial sleepiness)

Nightmares are bad dreams. Night terrors are a form of epilepsy

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
QuigglyPhD wrote:Was thinking of doing the Greek God of sleep Hypnos... here's a sketch of something it might look like

I like it, his wings should probably be bigger though.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

Mavyn

QuigglyPhD wrote:Was thinking of doing the Greek God of sleep Hypnos... here's a sketch of something it might look like

Agreed--wings should be bigger and down. They appear to be coming out of his neck.

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
Mavyn wrote:Agreed--wings should be bigger and down. They appear to be coming out of his neck.

i think some depictions of hypnos have wings on his head.

oakenspirit

This is going to be a cool derby... I feel like I am finally getting the hang of photoshop too!

Hey, can anyone tell me how to get their links in a horizontal row instead of going down vertically... I have like three entries in this one and I don't like my sig taking up so much room.

oakenspirit

My ideas are turning out cuter than planned... I am so ashamed...

Duddles86

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Duddles86

Just an idea if anyone is looking for one (b/c I could only draw this as blobs + stick figures)... a sheep (or several) trying to sleep counting humans jumping a fence.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
no1 wrote:i think some depictions of hypnos have wings on his head.

Hrmm, if that was what he was going for then I'd make them a little smaller and more clearly coming from the head. Or maybe stylized into a winged helmet or something.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

QuigglyPhD

quality posts: 0 Private Messages QuigglyPhD

Updated. Obviously have a lot more to do but I'm tired now.

Yes, the wings are supposed to be coming out from his head. I thought about a stylized helmet but I kinda think this is more bad-a$$ personally

globalbee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages globalbee

I couldn't agree more! Ban cats from a few. Mix it up a bit.

tomspc wrote:Can we have a "No Cats" rule in one of these Derbys? I know, I know, there would be no entries since that's all most can draw...lol

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613
oakenspirit wrote:What about a cat dreaming he was a penguin wishing he could fly so he could see the top of a mouse maze from above so he could find the lab rat?

Where's the bunny?

jessisima

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jessisima

This is an unfinished version of my hibernation design. Any input is appreciated.

Mishvmd

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Mishvmd

Nice....but someone looking at it wouldn't get that it was Hypnos, just a shirtless dude with wings under a moon....