mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

How come American Apparel shirts aren't always used? They're at least made in the USA and are nice and soft.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
mschauber wrote:How come American Apparel shirts aren't always used? They're at least made in the USA and are nice and soft.

Until late February 2012, woot printed exclusively on American Apparel; by late July, they were printed exclusively on Anvil. There's a significant cost difference between AA and Anvil "blanks." On a per-shirt basis, using Anvil blanks instead of AA blanks increased woot's profit margins significantly.

It was a contentious issue around the forums (and can still be contentious at times); there are currently 1,554 posts in the thread announcing the switch and 973 posts in the thread discussing the women's shirts specifically.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

no1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1
mschauber wrote:How come American Apparel shirts aren't always used? They're at least made in the USA and are nice and soft.



the owners of aa and woot worship different incarnations of satan and don't get along.

chismosito


quality posts: 0 Private Messages chismosito
no1 wrote:the owners of aa and woot worship different incarnations of satan and don't get along.

Why do you say stuff when you have no idea what you are talking about? The facts are when Amazon bought Woot, they put profit in front of customer satisfacton.

neuropsychosocial


quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
no1 wrote:the owners of aa and woot worship different incarnations of satan and don't get along.
chismosito wrote:Why do you say stuff when you have no idea what you are talking about? The facts are when Amazon bought Woot, they put profit in front of customer satisfacton.

I sense that you may have misinterpreted No1's incredibly insightful and incisive comment. He knows exactly what he's talking about.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

mossygreen


quality posts: 71 Private Messages mossygreen
no1 wrote:the owners of aa and woot worship different incarnations of satan and don't get along.



I wish I could vote up this comment. But only because I love most references to Satan.

splathead


quality posts: 1 Private Messages splathead
mschauber wrote:How come American Apparel shirts aren't always used? They're at least made in the USA and are nice and soft.



Not only did they move to a shirt half the wholesale cost of an American Apparel, they turned around soon thereafter and increased prices 20%. Why do you think they did it?

Narfcake


quality posts: 284 Private Messages Narfcake
splathead wrote:Not only did they move to a shirt half the wholesale cost of an American Apparel, they turned around soon thereafter and increased prices 20%. Why do you think they did it?


Other way around - price increase was first, then came the switch a month later.

Which ticked the customers more ... the former has been on page 6 for over 7 months already; the latter is on page 40 and still in current discussion.

j5


quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
thumperchick wrote:




move along

brtw


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brtw

Why not? Because they wanted to lose me as a customer.

They didn't like my $30/month that I was giving them.

They didn't like that I had a vote in what shirts were sold.

They stopped thinking about the consumer.

They didn't want me to have shirts that fit properly anymore.

They didn't like when I washed the shirt, it stayed together.

They stopped caring if the tag was smooth and silky.

They don't care if the community likes when an artist repeats an idea endlessly.

They don't want customers anymore.

I am brtw

gsedlak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsedlak
brtw wrote:Why not? Because they wanted to lose me as a customer.

They didn't like my $30/month that I was giving them.

They didn't like that I had a vote in what shirts were sold.

They stopped thinking about the consumer.

They didn't want me to have shirts that fit properly anymore.

They didn't like when I washed the shirt, it stayed together.

They stopped caring if the tag was smooth and silky.

They don't care if the community likes when an artist repeats an idea endlessly.

They don't want customers anymore.



Agree 100%

gsedlak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsedlak

RIP Shirt.Woot!