Narfcake

quality posts: 293 Private Messages Narfcake

Since there are a few discussions going around regarding these past few days, it'll be a good idea to move it all into one thread. Credit goes to Neuro for the title; the two of us were discussing this last night at way-too-late-or-is-it-way-too-early o'clock.

As we both saw it, running out of Royal Blue blanks caught shirt.woot by surprise, as this Holiday season's sales have been much stronger than trends would have indicated. Though I didn't run the full numbers, a rudimentary run through the numbers indicate that sales have been on par with last year ... which was A LOT!

Anvil blanks ran out with Thursday's shirt, Wrinkled, In Time; all women's sizes, all kid's sizes, and medium through x-large in men's sizes. By then, the derby winners would have been selected already ... and at that point, it was clear they need more Royal Blue blanks!

As I imagine, Thursday morning and afternoon was spent scrambling for shirts. It's the weekend before Christmas, folks will be off ... so there's only so much that could be done.

When I checked AA's wholesale inventory on Friday, they were sold out of M2XL and M3XL - perhaps by Woot. So it was then established that there's a finite amount that they can use for two designs ... what would you do? You conserve your limited resources, hence an explanation to why both Wrinkled, In Time and Counting Sheep have not resumed sales yet.

This isn't a finger pointing thread. This isn't a thread to argue about one shirt supplier or another. This is a thread to discuss why there are sales restrictions right now, and I have to commend shirt.woot staff for how it's been handled so far. Convoluted, sure, and many customers left scratching their heads, but given the circumstances, it's about the fairest approach they had for the three artists, NBlottie, Kevlar51, and Walmazan.

There's still the reckoning aspect that thedarkbunny raised in this post ... what's your take on how shirt.woot should handle it?

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

I also want to commend woot for how they handled Friday and Sunday's Derby winners. I suspect they found themselves between a rock and a hard place, especially after specifying that entries to the Sleep Derby could only be on five colors, one of which was royal blue. Woot's could have manipulated the Derby results or asked Randyotter to choose a shirt that wasn't on royal blue. Instead, they maintained the integrity of the process and rewarded the winning artists - even though (I'm sure) the AA blanks were absurdly expensive to obtain on short notice and in limited quantities.

Three cheers for shirt.woot staff: Travis, Barbara, Joel, and whoever else was involved!

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

Narfcake

Soooo ... RBBG2012 continues with today's shirt. I'm scratching my head over that one, but what's NOT okay now is the reckoning, both for today's and next week's.

Here we have the numbers pre-RBBG.
3rd place, CELEBRATE! CELEBRATE! - 5267. Approx. 71.36 real time DSR
9th place, The Binge - 63605. Approx. 45.8 real time DSR
11th place, The Formula For Success - 16067. Approx. 49.25 real time DSR
16th place, The Cat in the Box - 7166. Approx. 27.28 real time DSR

And here we have the post numbers; in the past 4-1/4 days ...
CELEBRATE! CELEBRATE! - 5296. SOLD 29. Down to approx. 47.09 real time DSR
The Binge - 63634. SOLD 29. Down to approx. 39.87 real time DSR
The Formula For Success - 16090. SOLD 23. Down to approx. 42.58 real time DSR
The Cat in the Box - 7189. SOLD 23. Down to approx. 23.96 real time DSR

Likewise, the new shirts involved ...
Wrinkled, In Time - SOLD 89 when all size options was mistakenly allowed for ordering for about half the day on Friday. All sales were closed since.
Counting Sheep - SOLD 9 when all size options was mistakenly allowed for ordering for about an hour on Saturday. All sales were closed since.
Recurring Dreams - SOLD 1 a couple minutes into Monday morning. All sales were promptly closed thereafter.

The lack of sizing options have obviously hindered the sales for the four that are in this week's reckoning, to the extent that The Cat in the Box will (unfairly) be a shirt on the chopping block come noon time today.

The lack of being able to order any size for the bystanders will impact their position for next week's reckoning, to the extent that they might not be able to recover the usually strong day-#2 sales at all.

tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost
Narfcake wrote:Soooo ... RBBG2012 continues with today's shirt. I'm scratching my head over that one, but what's NOT okay now is the reckoning, both for today's and next week's.

Here we have the numbers pre-RBBG.
3rd place, CELEBRATE! CELEBRATE! - 5267. Approx. 71.36 real time DSR
9th place, The Binge - 63605. Approx. 45.8 real time DSR
11th place, The Formula For Success - 16067. Approx. 49.25 real time DSR
16th place, The Cat in the Box - 7166. Approx. 27.28 real time DSR

And here we have the post numbers; in the past 4-1/4 days ...
CELEBRATE! CELEBRATE! - 5296. SOLD 29. Down to approx. 47.09 real time DSR
The Binge - 63634. SOLD 29. Down to approx. 39.87 real time DSR
The Formula For Success - 16090. SOLD 23. Down to approx. 42.58 real time DSR
The Cat in the Box - 7189. SOLD 23. Down to approx. 23.96 real time DSR

Likewise, the new shirts involved ...
Wrinkled, In Time - SOLD 89 when all size options was mistakenly allowed for ordering for about half the day on Friday. All sales were closed since.
Counting Sheep - SOLD 9 when all size options was mistakenly allowed for ordering for about an hour on Saturday. All sales were closed since.
Recurring Dreams - SOLD 1 a couple minutes into Monday morning. All sales were promptly closed thereafter.

The lack of sizing options have obviously hindered the sales for the four that are in this week's reckoning, to the extent that The Cat in the Box will (unfairly) be a shirt on the chopping block come noon time today.

The lack of being able to order any size for the bystanders will impact their position for next week's reckoning, to the extent that they might not be able to recover the usually strong day-#2 sales at all.

Well son of a, I honestly hadnt even looked at the main page of the binge to see the sizes sold out warning. I thought the sudden decrease in sales was due to the delivery window for Christmas closing. Been busy so I hadn't looked at all the discussions. When my shirt went up today and I saw they were going on AA I was like yeah, but then I was like wait a minute..... this is the second time us blue guys have gotten kicked around artificially on the top 20.

amroyo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages amroyo

I'm a lurker and not a numbers person at all but I wanted to chime in with my concern for the artists.

I know dailies are planned in advance but I would have thought Woot would have considered switching Tjost's adorable print to a time when it would actually be able to make some solid sales. While people will be happy to buy it on a hoodie & apron, I doubt it will make up for the loss of t-shirt sales.

The Binge & Celebrate have enough history to stay safe for a little bit but for how long? This is the 2nd time the blues have been threatened. What about the 3 (soon to be 4) shirts that are "sold out"? This is the third day I cannot buy Kevlar's sheep. Will he be so far behind in sales that he won't be able to pull out of the danger zone?

I'm sure Woot is scrambling and this is a perfect storm of stock issues, shirt color and holiday limitations but I'd like to hear what recourse they have planned for the artists.

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Hey guys, sorry for this mess. We appreciate your understanding on this issue. As you can imagine it comes at the worst possible time. I'm in the office today along with a several others. I'll give you any updates if and when I can.

nathanwpyle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages nathanwpyle
tgentry wrote:Hey guys, sorry for this mess. We appreciate your understanding on this issue. As you can imagine it comes at the worst possible time. I'm in the office today along with a several others. I'll give you any updates if and when I can.

Oh man you're in the office today?? The worst. I hope you are able to go home soon. My particular shirt had a great ride, and I"m super thankful for it!

Thanks for all you guys do!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

nathanwpyle wrote:Oh man you're in the office today?? The worst. I hope you are able to go home soon. My particular shirt had a great ride, and I"m super thankful for it!

Thanks for all you guys do!

Hey, much appreciated Nathan.

We're hoping to get some sales back up here shortly, though I can't promise how long they'll be up. We're still working on a more long term solution.

Please know we take this very seriously and are doing everything we can to get it resolved.

Narfcake

tgentry wrote:Please know we take this very seriously and are doing everything we can to get it resolved.

FWIW, the sales did resume for the affected shirts after this post yesterday. Thank you, Travis.

We'll see how this week's reckoning pans out for the three new shirts, and whether any additional accommodations will be necessary ...

neuropsychosocial

Thank you for all of your hard work on this tgentry: what an awful time of year to have this happen! And your post was really gracious, Nathan.

I had a thought; this is a little crazy (so shirt me maybe?), but yesterday's shirt was a Random shirt, which means that next week's Reckoning, Reckoning 282, will only have 26 shirts instead of the usual 27 shirts. I know it's never been done before, but maybe maybe The Cat in the Box could be slipped back into the Reckoning to bring the Reckoning to 27 shirts? This would only help if there are royal blue blanks, of course, but Cat in the Box sold really well and obviously woot benefits from shirts that sell well. It wasn't quite fair to Cat in the Box that it was unavailable for purchase in so many sizes at once, and since the Reckoning is only scheduled to have 26 shirts next week, it would slot in, no programming/website redesign necessary.

jbturner691

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbturner691

Are all Royal Blue shirts currently being printed on AA? For example:
The Formula For Success

neuropsychosocial

jbturner691 wrote:Are all Royal Blue shirts currently being printed on AA? For example:
The Formula For Success

No. CELEBRATE! CELEBRATE!, The Binge, The Formula For Success, and Wrinkled, In Time are printing on Anvil in all sizes.

Counting Sheep, Recurring Dreams, and Rhyming Orange are printing on AA in women's and men's sizes, with kids' sizes on Anvil.

gsedlak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsedlak

dang, i would have picked up a binge and formula if they were on AA as well...