WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Bowie in Philadelphia. Pink Floyd in London. Nick Drake's dubstep album. If you weren't there, man, all those things might as well be imaginary. But if you're imagining things anyway, why not take it to a new level? Why not imagine... the whole band?

This week, we want you to create a shirt for a rock group that didn't exist. Maybe a brass band made of butterflies, or a living piano that plays keytar? Capture all the things that you can only see with the power of your mind and express them in visual form! Except don't use the butterflies or the piano, because those came out of our mind. They were only examples. Seriously. Do your own work, you cheaters.

• No Royal Blue or Slate tees.
  • Text is OK, but no text only shirts.
  • No Star Wars, Dr. Who, Monty Python, or Nintendo related designs.
  • No real bands. We don't want to get a horse's head from somebody's agent.

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51

was Zack Attack a real band?! :P

ChronoSquall14

quality posts: 39 Private Messages ChronoSquall14

This should be awesome. Frozen Kumquats forever!

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc

This Derby could be and SHOULD BE the best derby ever. Come on, do some cool rock bank designs and leave the cats, turtles and crap out of it. I know Woot must be sick of these poor selling shirts they've been selecting lately. Maybe if a decent shirt would print, they might be able to afford royal blue and slate shirts again.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba

Looking for some totally badass death metal parody bands please!

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13

Wow... I have no idea where to find inspiration or examples for this type of shirt. Go figure this would have to be the topic for my first derby attempt ever. /facepalm

Any help/suggestions/places to look?

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
runnerfrog13 wrote:Wow... I have no idea where to find inspiration or examples for this type of shirt. Go figure this would have to be the topic for my first derby attempt ever. /facepalm

Any help/suggestions/places to look?

Look within. There ye shall find what ye seek.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 84 Private Messages oakenspirit

So I have SUCH A SOLID IDEA and googled it and found a garage band that never made it and died in 2005 with the same band name...
otherwise there is no precedence...

Should I scrap the idea since "NO REAL BANDS" or do local dead garage bands that never had an agent and never cut an album not count?

jakeline

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jakeline

Awesome! I still get compliments every time I wear my The Sex Drugs t-shirt from the last time woot did this!

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer

Every idea I come up with seems to share the name of an actual band or musician...

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

tomspc wrote:This Derby could be and SHOULD BE the best derby ever. Come on, do some cool rock bank designs and leave the cats, turtles and crap out of it. I know Woot must be sick of these poor selling shirts they've been selecting lately. Maybe if a decent shirt would print, they might be able to afford royal blue and slate shirts again.

Withstanding the urge to argue the validity of the above statement, I give you this:

Enjoy!

Envoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Envoy

Can someone explain to me how to vote in these derbys? I've been looking all over, I'm signed in but I can't figure out how to vote for the t-shirts I like!

paaiyan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages paaiyan
Envoy wrote:Can someone explain to me how to vote in these derbys? I've been looking all over, I'm signed in but I can't figure out how to vote for the t-shirts I like!

You can't vote until you've bought a shirt. That could be the problem.

oakenspirit wrote:So I have SUCH A SOLID IDEA and googled it and found a garage band that never made it and died in 2005 with the same band name...
otherwise there is no precedence...

Should I scrap the idea since "NO REAL BANDS" or do local dead garage bands that never had an agent and never cut an album not count?

Personally, I'd say if the name was never trademarked then it's fair game. Anyone could up and say they had a garage band by any name. Nevermind that they never recorded anything, never trademarked anything, never made shirts and only did covers...

Envoy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Envoy

Thanks for the reply panyan, but I have bought plenty of shirts from woot in the past, so I don't think it's that.

tomspc

ochopika wrote:Withstanding the urge to argue the validity of the above statement, I give you this:

Enjoy!

Thanks for proving my point!

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman

This is my idea for Bigfoot Ballet Banjo Ensemble....

I just like the name.

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
Envoy wrote:Thanks for the reply panyan, but I have bought plenty of shirts from woot in the past, so I don't think it's that.

The voting for this derby is closed. You won't be able to vote again until noon tomorrow in the new derby.

kurokami

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kurokami

Do bands in say..games/cartoons count as real? O.o

kurokami

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kurokami
kurokami wrote:Do bands in say..games/cartoons count as real? O.o

actually yeah probably..dont see why those wouldnt be :x

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
tjschaeffer wrote:Every idea I come up with seems to share the name of an actual band or musician...

Let A=(every possible band name in every language in all the lands)
Let B=(some garage band somewhere)

∀ {A} ∃ {B}

(Sorry, really bad joke - but I'm convinced it might be true!)

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

ochopika

quality posts: 28 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

tomspc wrote:Thanks for proving my point!

...glad I could help.

lkackman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkackman

Update on the work in progress... I decided on the band name "Bigfoot Banjo Ballet". Hope I can find time tomorrow to finish this one off. Bed time...

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 97 Private Messages Thirdbase9

So is Spinal Tap a real band, a fake band, a real fake band, or fake real band?

I don't know.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan

I haven't posted in the Pre-Derby Thread for a while. But here is my idea... any comments?

Title: The Name is Copyrighted

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc

Trying to decide between my two Heisenberg designs:

And I also have one more for a faux metal band:

kharmazero

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kharmazero

Does a DJ or MC counts as a band?

cdrewlow

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cdrewlow
lkackman wrote:Update on the work in progress... I decided on the band name "Bigfoot Banjo Ballet". Hope I can find time tomorrow to finish this one off. Bed time...

I would go to this concert.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
shikausstan wrote:I haven't posted in the Pre-Derby Thread for a while. But here is my idea... any comments?

Title: The Name is Copyrighted

Love the purple, but not feeling the black tee. :/ Not sure how it would look on another color though. One of the greens, maybe?

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

tomspc

Only minutes away from seeing how many cats, turtles and ninjas will be in this derby! Can't wait. Got my air-sick bag ready and a bottle of Pepto! Let's roll!

Reclaimer456

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Reclaimer456

Am I crazy or is this a repeat of a previous derby?

lloyd2002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloyd2002

Just wondering if there will be any enforcement of the "No real bands" rule, and if many of the artists either don't know how to use Google, or they just know what rules won't be enforced.

The Procrastinators, The Meows, The Hipsters, The Walkers, Pushing Daisies, Band Aid, The Battles (which is also a resubbed design from the England derby with no significantly altered artistic elements) and a design in the fog with an obvious photo in it.

I suppose we will see what Monday brings.

L3g3ndQ

quality posts: 2 Private Messages L3g3ndQ
tomspc wrote:This Derby could be and SHOULD BE the best derby ever. Come on, do some cool rock bank designs and leave the cats, turtles and crap out of it. I know Woot must be sick of these poor selling shirts they've been selecting lately. Maybe if a decent shirt would print, they might be able to afford royal blue and slate shirts again.

I think Ramyb has poisoned this sight way too much... this derby had soo much potential but just look at what is mostly in there... cute animal crap!! or just cute crap in general. and most of the really good artists have gone away. its kinda sad really

jakeline wrote:Awesome! I still get compliments every time I wear my The Sex Drugs t-shirt from the last time woot did this!

i have tha shirt as well and love it!! back then we had some great designs to choose from... this time though it looks like slim pickings B^( at least so far anyways

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

FWIW, it looks like black WS blanks are gone. Truly, I don't know What It's Worth: woot has been good about printing colors they allowed in the Derby rules and WS sells the fewest shirts (by far) of the ten adult sizes so I doubt the missing blanks will have much of an impact on sales - but I thought the artists might appreciate the heads-up for however little it's worth.

The full list of what's missing is over in the Reckoning thread.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan
lkackman wrote:Update on the work in progress... I decided on the band name "Bigfoot Banjo Ballet". Hope I can find time tomorrow to finish this one off. Bed time...

Awesome. I too would so go to this concert.

Nekkochan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Nekkochan

Fun topic. Who hasn't heard a weird phrase somewhere & thought "that would be a great band name"? In grad. school we came up with the Fascist Doves as our imaginary band - which I would love to have a shirt for but of course I don't draw.

iheartcyborgs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iheartcyborgs

I'm no designer, but if I was, I would definitely try to make a Richie Tozier's All-Dead Rock Show shirt from Stephen King's It for this derby.

(The part in the book where IT welcomes Richie home by posting a flyer that says:

RICHIE TOZIER MAN OF 1000 VOICES RETURNS TO DERRY LAND OF 1000 DANCES

IN HONOUR OF TRASHMOUTH'S RETURN CITY CENTER PROUDLY PRESENTS THE RICHIE TOZIER 'ALL-DEAD' ROCK SHOW

BUDDY HOLLY RICHIE VALENS THE BIG BOPPER FRANKIE LYMON GENE VINCENT MARVIN GAYE

HOUSE BAND JIMI HENDRIX LEAD GUITAR JOHN LENNON RHYTHM GUITAR PHIL LINOTT BASS GUITAR KEITH MOON DRUMS SPECIAL GUEST VOCLAIST JIM MORRISON

WELCOME HOME RICHIE!

YOU'RE DEAD TOO!")

I'm not sure how many have read the book, or how many would get it or remember that part, but I just thought it would be a fun idea. It wouldn't have to have ALL that wording (I don't think it would fit, ha ha) but some sort of reference to the All-Dead Rock Show scene would be awesome! And definitely a shirt I would wear =)

iheartcyborgs

quality posts: 0 Private Messages iheartcyborgs

And I just remembered that you can't have any real band names so a lot of the wording wouldn't work anyway, so there's that. But the All-Dead Rock Show is definitely fictional

Thirdbase9

quality posts: 97 Private Messages Thirdbase9

Is it my imagination or is a significant number of these designs just for fictional bands, not for concert tour shirts for the fictional bands? Or just ripped off slightly changed real band names?

I don't know.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Thirdbase9 wrote:Is it my imagination or is a significant number of these designs just for fictional bands, not for concert tour shirts for the fictional bands? Or just ripped off slightly changed real band names?

A lot of shirts sold at concerts don't list the tour stops. That said...yeah, a lot of rips.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
neuropsychosocial wrote:FWIW, it looks like black WS blanks are gone. Truly, I don't know What It's Worth: woot has been good about printing colors they allowed in the Derby rules and WS sells the fewest shirts (by far) of the ten adult sizes so I doubt the missing blanks will have much of an impact on sales

Even with the new Anvil sizing? My SO now gets WS in Anvil vs. WL in AA.

move along