WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How do you feel about Dadaism?
  • 7.3% - Ta Ta Ta Ta Ta 106
  • 12.6% - Grocery store humbug claptrap 183
  • 20.6% - ……..|……|…………|…………….| ? 299
  • 51% - Never heard of it 740
  • 8.5% - I’ll just paste my insufferable master’s thesis into the comments. 123
1451 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

bluejester

quality posts: 569 Private Messages bluejester

I'll spare you the thesis and simply say that you can take Marcel Duchamp and the staircase he rode in on...so to speak.

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

I see.
You take mushrooms and then think you are an artist!
Be sure to feed same mushrooms to viewers and critics.
Simple.

Ah, the hell with it.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska

W A I
H R S
E T
R
E

T W E B
H I V E
E L E
R L R
E

B M R A R
E O A N O
N V M D T
D E B
E R L
R S E
S

B A F
E R O
M T R
O
A
N

A S
R A
T K
S E
?

N E V A R
E V A R
V A R
A R
R

FrostByte

quality posts: 14 Private Messages FrostByte

For the rest of those voting with the majority...

Da·da noun \ˈdä-(ˌ)dä\
: a movement in art and literature based on deliberate irrationality and negation of traditional artistic values; also : the art and literature produced by this movement

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Don't know about DaDaism, but I do embrace the MaMary.

move along

merd919

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merd919

You try living in Switzerland or Germany during World War I and see if you don't also crave a little absurdity.

The question was and is, how absurd can absurdity get before it's just absurdly absurd?

krdshrk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages krdshrk

Marcel Duchamp - Fountain

Urinal signed "R. Mutt"

"art"

devul

quality posts: 0 Private Messages devul

I don't love you, you don't love me, aha, aha, aha.

k4th3r1n3

quality posts: 17 Private Messages k4th3r1n3

I learned about Dadaism in elementary school, my art teacher had us make assemblages. I remember thinking that everyone's finished work (including mine) looked like a bunch of garbage glued together. So it was actually educational, thanks Ms. Jugar!

jaybee53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaybee53

I think this shows the shameful lack of art education in schools. That most people don't even know what DADAISM is. Marcel Duchamp would actually throw up in his toilet.

jackie burns

Eltinwe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Eltinwe
jaybee53 wrote:I think this shows the shameful lack of art education in schools. That most people don't even know what DADAISM is. Marcel Duchamp would actually throw up in his toilet.

For what it's worth, I learned about Dadaism not only in grade school, but also in a general-education class (required for all students) in college. There are still schools out there which value educating the person, not just vocational training for a worker.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Why are y'all horsing around here?
Moo!

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

FenStar

quality posts: 16 Private Messages FenStar
Eltinwe wrote:For what it's worth, I learned about Dadaism not only in grade school, but also in a general-education class (required for all students) in college. There are still schools out there which value educating the person, not just vocational training for a worker.

Right

, because there aren't a million other things that are more important to learn in school.

Still single, can't imagine why.

lemminghunter

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lemminghunter
FenStar wrote:Right

, because there aren't a million other things that are more important to learn in school.

+1

firebirdude

quality posts: 19 Private Messages firebirdude
FenStar wrote:Right

+2

roastman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages roastman

If you think Duchamp would be unhappy that no one knows of this movement you don't understand it. It was all a gag. He was commenting on the quality of the art of the day. The problem is that only a few people have the skills to create great art but galleries need art to sell. They need to create a market for bad art. They brand these terrible movements and try and get suckers to believe it has value.