mringram

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mringram

Amen to that. Edison and Westinghouse were not the heroes we make them out to be.

readymade wrote:I grew up about 10 minutes from Tesla's ill fated Wardenclyffe Tower. The distinctive metal "cage" at the top was long gone but the building remains to this day and they're trying to save it. The more you learn about Tesla, the less you respect about Edison.

wootpapa

quality posts: 18 Private Messages wootpapa
SuperNinja wrote:Why do schools keep insisting on brainwashing people by teaching about edison, but not Tesla?

If you read the Wikipedia article on Tesla, you see he was more theory than practice, and in his later years, more showman than anything. I love how he thought he received messages from Mars though and kept a mundane piece of equipment in a box that was supposed to contain his fabled 'death ray'.

He started with sound, good ideas, but as other inventors brought their competing inventions to market time and time again, he became more dreamer than inventor. Dreaming is great for inventing, but only if those dreams are realized.

gcarpenter1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gcarpenter1
Pufferfishy wrote:

Funny that you posted this; ANYtime I see something about Nikola Tesla, I think of this song...and then I completely rock out for ~ 5 minutes!

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

It's always a good day on Woot when there's a Radscoolian design. ^__^

+1 for the Warehouse 13 fans, too.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja
wootpapa wrote:If you read the Wikipedia article on Tesla, you see he was more theory than practice, and in his later years, more showman than anything. I love how he thought he received messages from Mars though and kept a mundane piece of equipment in a box that was supposed to contain his fabled 'death ray'.

He started with sound, good ideas, but as other inventors brought their competing inventions to market time and time again, he became more dreamer than inventor. Dreaming is great for inventing, but only if those dreams are realized.

That kind of argument is usually a good answer for the things that your average crazy nut-job might dream up.
But Nikola wasn't the average crazy nut-job. The ideas he came up with can't be dismissed that easily. The average nut-job does not leave an impact on society like Nikola did.
And the failure of an invention is not always due to a problem with the invention itself. There are outside influences that can keep inventions from being successful, as Nikola found out.

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian

Super cool! Thanks for the votes!
Clearly, Tesla was the right choice for Bella.

robertwooddellweaver

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robertwooddellweaver
saquack wrote:I named my second son after Tesla. Not that you care, but I thought I'd share.

didn't you name your first son after tesla as well? I mean, he died like 70 years ago, so unless your son is more than 70 years old, he pretty much would have had to be named after tesla was gone.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

So glad this one printed... I was sad for days when it didn't win before...

masterpgc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages masterpgc
skou wrote:OK, Nicola Tesla did NOT invent the movie. Thomas Edison did.

Guys why are fighting about immegrants? Edison was from Canada. Tesla was from Austria.

Edison wanted DC. Tesla wanted AC. What do we have? Looks like the prize goes to Nicola.

'Nough said!

steve

Tesla was from Yugoslavia/Serbia you fool!

cristinaish

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cristinaish

Bummer, I need a WS. Hopefully it sticks around long enough in the Top for the black WS to come back in.

007purpleroses

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 007purpleroses
floppyturtle wrote:Is there a reason women's small is unavailable?

Yes, why??

brisashi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brisashi

Coolest woot shirt I have seen in a while

GTstyle

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GTstyle

In for a shirt, but would rather have a hoodie

Woot
  • Lights & Monkeys
  • 3/1/09 - Recaro
  • 6/19/08 - MS S&T w/GPS
  • 3/28/08 - HP m9040n
  • 7/22/07 - Weather Stat
  • 7/19/07 - Whistler DE1770
  • 7/19/07 - Inverter
  • 7/12/07 - Bundles of Clones/li>
  • 6/25/07 - Nokia 770
    Shirt
  • random = lots
  • 3/22/08 - CDN Periodic Table
  • 1/4/08 - Tag
  • 9/19/07 - Deer By #
  • 8/17/07 - Reality Isn't For Everyone
  • 8/10/07 - Dead Heat
  • 7/23/07 - Sore Thumbs
    Sellout
  • 4/1/08 - IR Thermometer
  • 12/24/07 - Flashlight/Radio
  • 10/12/07 - Desk Caddy

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 0m 45.995s
First Sucker: bkarlan
Last Wooter to Woot: diligent fish
Last Purchase: a minute ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 0% of Shirt Woots
Bottom 0% of all Woots
Woots Sold: 2180

First day sales 2180
First day posts 52

gratitude24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gratitude24

LOVING this shirt! My kid is so excited to get it, I ordered it overnight so he can wear it to school this week. This is one of our most fav woot shirts so far! Woohoo Woot!

To the artist: You've got a knack there, start crankin' out more shirts why don't you?? :-)

mandrews000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mandrews000

I wanted to name our first child after Tesla, wife hasn't agreed yet... I have until July 2ndish to convince her.

M Andrews

fierytresses

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fierytresses

There is supposed to be a special for today for $15 but this one is listed for $18. Why?

spoonzilla00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages spoonzilla00

I recommend the book Empires of Light: Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, and the Race to Electrify the World by Jill Jonnes

Nitetigrezz

quality posts: 37 Private Messages Nitetigrezz

I know this is late to the game but still worth including: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla
And that's why I'll always go Team Tesla over the lies of Edison.

Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000