tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

Re: 2001: An Escher Odyssey

The halftones on this look too fine and elaborate to print. Can you submit the print art please: derby@woot.com

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Finally we meet

Great design my friend!

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Re: Tessellating Dice

Tanks to daboatayaz. It's not a very complicated tesselation, considering it's just a hexagon, but I like the effect. Glad you do to!

tgentry

quality posts: 111 Private Messages tgentry

Staff

The halftones on this look really fine. Can you submit the print art please so we can make sure it's printable: derby@woot.com

orabbit

Re: The Questionable Stability of the Atom

I must say, I'm not getting the illusion either. It looks pretty straightforward to me.

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
tgentry wrote:The halftones on this look too fine and elaborate to print. Can you submit the print art please: derby@woot.com

Sent! I just sent them to you, with the same specs as you've have me use on all the other submissions.

By using colors that were a lot closer together on the palette, I was able to get more shading w/o the halftones becoming too crazy. (i.e. it looks more complicated than it is... I really wanted to up the crispness of the image, but I knew that would drive halftone quality down)

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

Thanks guys!

I do have a fondness for infinitely unfolding space as well!

numchux9000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages numchux9000

odysseyroc

quality posts: 33 Private Messages odysseyroc
orabbit wrote:I must say, I'm not getting the illusion either. It looks pretty straightforward to me.

the illusion is there, it's subtle, but it's there.

shikausstan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages shikausstan
Re: Reflection of what was

So let me explain this a little...

One of my favorite MC Escher pieces is the Reflection Puddle. He also does quite a bit of optical illusion.

So while this is not the customary style, I tried to include a puddle reflection of what "was" to provide the illusion. The fox is in the reflection but there is no fox outside the reflection only footprints...

orabbit

tgentry wrote:The halftones on this look really fine. Can you submit the print art please so we can make sure it's printable: derby@woot.com

I think the problem is that I'm caught between Illustrator and Photoshop, so the resolutions got weird. I'll bring the whole thing into Photoshop and send it in. Just a moment...

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
Mavyn wrote:But that means the frosting just ends partway. It breaks the 'single sided object' rule by having a top to be frosted and a bottom left unfrosted.

I don't think it's supposed to be a mobius strip. Looks more like it's supposed to be an impossible triangle.

harantula

quality posts: 3 Private Messages harantula
Re: cat love fish!

impossible love you know!

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

Very nice Mr. Rabbit.

move along

shikausstan

lyonscc

There are dozens of pictures of that equipment (in space and on terra firma) - I used multiples to get the right shapes & some shadows, but it's not a direct copy of any specific picture.

(For example - in this pic, there's a patch, no reflection in the helmet, etc.) I kept the red velcro straps (used in every picture I saw with an astronaut ensconced in it), but kept the same general outline (which is pretty much the same in every head-on picture, since it's standard gov't equipment).

shikausstan

Re: Reflections

I thought about a design like this including the snow... glad I didn't yours turned out much better than what was in my head.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: The Questionable Stability of the Atom

It comes through nicely. I agree, it's subtle, but I think that makes it even better.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

ochopika

quality posts: 27 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

omarfeliciano wrote:Hey, Long time no see!

Great to see you submit again!

Thanks, omar! I did something last week, but it went WAY under the radar, lol. I have been really on and off with the derby recently but I'm gonna try to do it every week again.

@Shikausstan: You should do it if you want. I honestly thought there'd be more reflection designs up.

tomspc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tomspc

Looks like a lot of great artwork this week. Should be a fun one.

harantula

Re: carrots and conejos

just a funny tee!hope you like it!

palitosci

quality posts: 0 Private Messages palitosci

tomspc

Re: 2001: An Escher Odyssey

That was fast!

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565

Wow.... I love this weeks derby ! There is some really cool artwork out here.

lyonscc

tomspc wrote:That was fast!

Especially compared to last week.

And this one isn't even a photo.

The sun and the planetscape were done in DAZ Bryce (a 3D rendering program), and the Astronaut was done on a Wacom (the outline/shadows from a conglomeration of reference images - not an one image, and the shading and reflections by hand) and then all were manipulated in Photoshop.

I guess it matters who you are as to whether or not you get rejected for perceived violations.

tomspc

lyonscc wrote:Especially compared to last week.

And this one isn't even a photo.

The sun and the planetscape were done in DAZ Bryce (a 3D rendering program), and the Astronaut was done on a Wacom (the outline/shadows from a conglomeration of reference images - not an one image, and the shading and reflections by hand) and then all were manipulated in Photoshop.

I guess it matters who you are as to whether or not you get rejected for perceived violations.

"And this one isn't even a photo." Are you implying that others were photos? LOL

Agree, I've seen a lot of photo use but you are always the quickest to get rejected. You apparently have pissed-off the wrong person.

shikausstan

Re: Burning Phoenix

It looks like the Phoenix(es?) are popping out of acorns. If I light an Acorn on fire can I have a pet Phoenix?

jimmyfru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmyfru

Damn good, damn good

jimmyfru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimmyfru

Cute MC Escher.. I think you have something! VOTE!

shikausstan

tomspc wrote:This illusion is not working. Might be better if you got rid of the right most leg. Not sure if that would help or not. Giving me a headache to look at.

Worked for me... I didn't notice anything wrong at first...

oakenspirit

Re: eschirt

I'm holding my laptop that same way to show my wife...

;)

shikausstan

Re: Finally we meet

The Hook was a great change. I really like this one.

mailmanmo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mailmanmo
Re: Escher City

I also enjoy.

palitosci

quality posts: 0 Private Messages palitosci

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
Re: TEAssellation

Rule check--no text this derby.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

lyonscc

tomspc wrote:"And this one isn't even a photo." Are you implying that others were photos? LOL

Ha! No, was implying that the "please don't use photos" was in error...

And yes, seems pretty odd that some artists use photos and clip art all. the. time. and get almost zero rejections. And in my case, someone posts a picture of an astronaut (which didn't even match my design), and the reject button is hit.

I'm thinking, though, it might have been for the sun, which was a 3D render, or for the planet in the reflection (also a 3D render).

riffmaster18

quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18

fantastic illustration!

Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

oakenspirit

Re: Tesseract to the Soul

Hey guys... Wife just suggested something and I don't know if I should take this one down and resubmit... Is this cooler with a starfield or TOO BUSY?

harantula

Re: Zombie reflect

Detail image:
[url=https://dl.dropbox.com/u/40457590/zombie.jpg[/url]

kellabell9

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kellabell9
Re: Man's Best Friend

Inspired by "Eightheads" and my best friends.