ochopika

quality posts: 27 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

I've been working on a Facebook page for my designs, but I've been getting mixed messaged about whether or not I should actually post my art on the site at all.

A few years ago, a teacher told us to stay away from the site because their terms of use allows them to use your pictures however they want. Even so, lots of artists have a page.

There are advantages to having a FB page and I haven't personally heard of anything horrible happening to anyone's art. I knew one person who's drawing was used in an advertisement but it wasn't a big deal. It's not like Facebook went and made posters and t-shirts of someone's work...yet.

What do you Woot people think about this?

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

Text... sooo much text. I've been thinking about this recently so here you go:

I don't really have any fears of my art being stolen, I would certainly make sure you have a signature or watermark or whatever you are comfortable with. Facebook's uploading process mangles the quality of pictures anyway, so there's not really any theft that can go on other than parading your thumbnails around.

However, I am now questioning whether it's worth the bother.

Some months ago, Facebook changed the way your content reaches people. Even if someone 'likes' your page, they will not automatically see everything you post unless they visit your page pretty frequently. There's an indicator at the bottom of your posts that tells you how many people saw it, and I'll maaaybe get a sixth or so views out of my followers (most of which are probably friends and family). The solution? Facebook has conveniently made it so you can pay them to make sure that all your readers see your post. How nice of them, right?

Another factor to consider is Woot. I've found that I get much more 'likes' from sales I've had through other daily sites. I usually don't get much from Woot for whatever reason. Could be me, could be the fact that Woot has their own community separate from FB.

I do sticker giveaways and had been doing shirt giveaways for woot sales, but I haven't been seeing a very worthwhile return (new likes, shares of post, etc.), so I'll probably scale this down a bit.

I could probably be better about nurturing my page, posting content a bit more than the once a week or two I usually end up doing. I think if I sold shirts myself or focused more on other daily sites this would be a much higher priority.

Anyway! This is my limited experience so far. Maybe someone with a bit more investment in it can give better insight. I will keep my page as it has it's uses, if only to let my friends and family know what I am up to :P

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

In general, my reaction to "facebook will steal ur contentttt!" tends towards "No, their business practices aren't that ill-advised." However, I don't have visual intellectual property that I'm concerned about facebook using for profit. So with the enormous caveat that I don't have any skin in the game (or experience with the game), I'd be more concerned about plagiarists stealing images to sell on cafepress-and-similar-more-sophisticated-operations. But then again, every time an artist posts a link to a "high quality" image of their Derby entry, I want to scream TAKE IT DOWN!, and obviously the artist believes the benefit outweighs the risk, so I might be too paranoid on this.

In terms of benefiting from having an artist facebook page, I suspect the benefits might be concentrated in two ways: if you post links to your Derby entries and that post shows up on your followers' news feed, you might benefit from some "targeted" votes: people who are only interested in seeing your designs in the Derby, so more likely to vote for you while possibly being less likely to browse the Derby and vote for your competitors. It might also be a "home base" for your work that could drive people who see your shirts on other sites to your woot catalog, and drive your woot fan to another site if you have a print elsewhere.

Rasabi makes some great points about the complications of facebook, especially how difficult it is to get posts to show up on users' news feeds. (Are they still called "news feeds"?) It sounds like the key to showing up on news feeds is to drive people to view your page as often as possible, so more frequent posting, as long as it's relevant, may help.

Posting in ways that inspire people to post back, not just click "like," might increase a sense of community. People feel good when they feel like they're part of something; that inspires loyalty. Find a way to make your fans feel like they matter to you or their actions make a difference for you, such as by voting for your Derby designs whether or not they actually want one. ("I like KittyBunnyFooFoo! If I vote for this design, she might win the Derby! And if she wins the Derby, she'll get paid! And that will make me happy because I like KittyBunnyFooFoo!" Of course, almost no one consciously works through that thought process, so you can't just tell people to vote for you because you need the money; you want to inspire the kind of loyalty that results in the conscious thought process of "I like KittyBunnyFooFoo! *click*.")

Develop a consistent professional persona. Be gracious. Be succinct. Be humble and appreciative. Be self-aware of your motivation and goal for every post and comment. Be clear and straightforward with your word choice and syntax. Appear genuine and authentic so that people feel like they know you, but don't confuse yourself with your professional persona. Bonus points for funny, especially a sense of humor that appears consistent with that in your art. Humor is humanizing and people perceive that an individual's sense of humor yields insight into their authentic nature - but remember, this isn't necessarily your sense of humor, but that of your professional persona.

ETA: wow, this post is long! My apologies - and a huge caveat that although I've developed a serious interest in consumer psychology (which is different than marketing) and would love move in that direction professionally, my post is based on my observations of what works and what doesn't, and my own analyses of why based on what I actually do, which is essentially to figure out people's unconscious thought processes and help them modify those processes.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel

I have a FB page and I know a ton of Woot artists here have it as well. It's a great way to help get votes, share your sales and just plain get out there. Don't hesitate to ask any of us who have one once you get started for help and whatnot... we all love to help!!

There is a chance for stealing but there is if you use DA, post on Woot or even just have your art ANYWHERE on the internet.

A lot of us artists who do shirts all watch out for each other when we see sites and we call out people who steal designs. You don't catch EVERYTHING, but once you start building your FB network you'll have a lot of eyes out there to help.

There are also groups for artists on FB. They help with crits, support and again watching out for each other. I think if you got on there and in some of these groups you would love it.

I think you should do it, but you can always watermark your stuff to avoid being stolen (or if you fear FB will use it).

grrlmarvel

quality posts: 12 Private Messages grrlmarvel
neuropsychosocial wrote:

ETA: wow, this post is long! My apologies - and a huge caveat that although I've developed a serious interest in consumer psychology (which is different than marketing) and would love move in that direction professionally, my post is based on my observations of what works and what doesn't, and my own analyses of why based on what I actually do, which is essentially to figure out people's unconscious thought processes and help them modify those processes.

That actually is becoming big in the industry. You should follow it! I've worked for several retail companies in the internet field and a need for that has come up so many times.

ochopika

Staff

Thanks, rasabi and neuro! So excellently helpful of yous guys. I knew about FB advertising but I didn't know it meant paying to have your posts show up on all your friends' pages...sheesh. I guess I'll go ahead with the Facebook thing anyway and see what happens.
Neuro, I like your comments on having a "professional persona". It's funny, I was just thinking about the psychology behind successful people as well. I think having all those qualities in your persona saves a lot of money and effort since loyal fans do a lot of your advertising for you. Also, it is way easier to be genuine and nice than to pretend you're a business robot. Problem solved there: I'll just be super-nice to everyone and hand out free candy and/or beer through Facebook, then let the people advertise for me. Buahahaha.

*edit* Grrlmarvel, I just saw your post right after I posted this! I really want to get more connected with other artists through the interwebs. I think the community here is super-excellent and y'all have been so helpful to me! *warmfuzzies*

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

I think FB is worth giving a try. I really enjoy interacting with people on my page. I also run contests which are fun and help gain "likes." It's true that less people are seeing your page now, but having some people see your work is better than none. I also think there is a risk of having your work stolen anywhere on the Internet, not just on FB. Come on over and try it out!

ochopika

Staff

fishbiscuit5 wrote:I think FB is worth giving a try. I really enjoy interacting with people on my page. I also run contests which are fun and help gain "likes." It's true that less people are seeing your page now, but having some people see your work is better than none. I also think there is a risk of having your work stolen anywhere on the Internet, not just on FB. Come on over and try it out!

Okay I've been convinced, then. I just have to make my page look moderately presentable then I will put it up in the next couple of days.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5
fishbiscuit5 wrote:...

Fewer

move along

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
j5 wrote:Fewer

pedant.

I want to add that my most responded to posts have been ones asking a question, or otherwise getting people involved. People love brainstorming with me, and helping shape a design. My favorite use of FB is to plumb the depths of the collective consciousness, to find out if that "killer idea" is really universal or not.

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

This is a great read because I have been going through this exact same thought process.

I have COMPLETELY avoided the facebooks so far and will continue to do so on a personal level but was considering making a SHIRT persona (as you say).

I'm going to keep stewing but thank you for posting this question and the thought-out responses...

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness

as a fan of yours I've very excited about this upcoming page as having my favorite artists added on facebook is one way I make sure I'm able to check out their new work even if I don't check woot for a while. I'll keep my eye out for it!

ochopika

Staff

sunaness wrote:as a fan of yours I've very excited about this upcoming page as having my favorite artists added on facebook is one way I make sure I'm able to check out their new work even if I don't check woot for a while. I'll keep my eye out for it!

I just put my page up yesterday! https://www.facebook.com/Ochopika I still have to make a button for it. :P

sunaness

quality posts: 19 Private Messages sunaness

wheee! [likes]

rasabi

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rasabi

On the topic of self-promotion! Whenever I add a shirt to my redbubble store I'll submit a jpeg to Shirtoid. (The link to submit is up in the right hand corner)

They usually catch all the designs from daily sites like Woot, but I just subbed my side sale design as I hadn't seen any from there. They don't post everything, but it definitely gets more eyes on it when they do.