zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Hankshanker

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Hankshanker

But it's just a theory!

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
Dear Shirt.Woot,

When I purchased this shirt, it was with the understanding that it would, over the course of a week, evolve into a long sleeve tee, then a sweatshirt, then a sweater, then a cardigan sweater, then a convertible, then a princess.

It did evolve. It just took two weeks to arrive via SnailPost and the only shirts that survived were the ones with the short-sleeve mutation because it was most adaptive to life bouncing between FedEx and USPS.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

lonelypond

quality posts: 416 Private Messages lonelypond

A quietly clever apelad classic.

Vote:

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

Meh, interesting, but not my thing

cloudyxskies

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cloudyxskies

...I really really want to wear this to the Creation Museum.

ropchik

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ropchik
cloudyxskies wrote:...I really really want to wear this to the Creation Museum.

I hear you big time!!

Subtle yet effective!!

danielvutran

quality posts: 16 Private Messages danielvutran

It won't turn into anything, he's out of paper.

(so that means we will leave our physical beings and become one with time and space. existing only as consciousness..)

yes it's me lol

theswizz00

quality posts: 0 Private Messages theswizz00

I can't wait to receive this shirt in the mail because it is quite amazing. Maybe when I put it on I'll evolve into something! Can't wait!

ceoofaep

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ceoofaep

I'm curious about how the "sales by state" will turn out for this controversial design xD

I'm "pro Dawrin" (what's the word for the other concept? "pro... creational"? ^^) but not entirely sure about everyone else. I'm not from the US- is there still such a thing as the "bible belt" as they call it?

Semi-related:
Yay Tim Minchin

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

Darwin looks a lot like Rip Van Winkle!

------------------
I Bet on Sky

blakewidmer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blakewidmer

With the ever increasing knowledge of DNA there are actually a number of respectable scientists bringing to serious question a lot of Darwin's principles. I don't think woot needs to get into this issue but then again big mother amazon will push the agenda. This is after all a harmless shirt but not necessary. Why not sell some pro-Semitic shirts or a Jesus freak shirt too? Nah, that would be offensive....

acelder

quality posts: 2 Private Messages acelder

[quote postid="5310599" user="blakewidmer"]With the ever increasing knowledge of DNA there are actually a number of respectable scientists bringing to serious question a lot of Darwin's principles. quote]

Citation?

TheLoolee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheLoolee
ceoofaep wrote:I'm curious about how the "sales by state" will turn out for this controversial design xD

I'm "pro Dawrin" (what's the word for the other concept? "pro... creational"? ^^) but not entirely sure about everyone else. I'm not from the US- is there still such a thing as the "bible belt" as they call it?

Semi-related:
Yay Tim Minchin

As someone who lives there, I can say unequivocally, "YES." You would not believe how many poorly educated and proud of their ignorance people there are around.

TheLoolee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TheLoolee
acelder wrote:[quote postid="5310599" user="blakewidmer"]With the ever increasing knowledge of DNA there are actually a number of respectable scientists bringing to serious question a lot of Darwin's principles. quote]

Citation?

He mentioned a number, zero is a number, right?

sigifreud

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sigifreud
blakewidmer wrote:With the ever increasing knowledge of DNA there are actually a number of respectable scientists bringing to serious question a lot of Darwin's principles. I don't think woot needs to get into this issue but then again big mother amazon will push the agenda. This is after all a harmless shirt but not necessary. Why not sell some pro-Semitic shirts or a Jesus freak shirt too? Nah, that would be offensive....

Surely you jest! Don't call me Shirley.

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid

Nice sport coat. I have the same one, we both shop at Men's Warehouse. I guuuuaranteeeee it!

Suck it, Trebek.

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid
theswizz00 wrote:I can't wait to receive this shirt in the mail because it is quite amazing. Maybe when I put it on I'll evolve into something! Can't wait!

What's this?! Your theswizz00 is evolving!!

Suck it, Trebek.

eleuthero

quality posts: 1 Private Messages eleuthero
TheLoolee wrote:As someone who lives there, I can say unequivocally, "YES." You would not believe how many poorly educated and proud of their ignorance people there are around.

I think it is more telling that Utah, West Virginia and other places have zero (though I would agree, there is still a "Bible Belt"). The slam on the "Darwinian Evolution" is unfortunate--our understanding of selection has definitely changed (and hopefully advanced) over the last hundred and fifty years. We don't hold to Lamarckian evolution either (or we'd probably have a lot more people with only one arm or what have you).

In defense of the creationist position, there are a number of people who hold to varying levels of evolution as the mechanism by which God created everything (the theory of evolution seeks to explain development of what we see in fossil records and in the current environment). To posit no element of "creation" is a philosophical position (and one that many people hold) as is the creationist position (one that a number of others hold as well).

It is certainly true that there are "ignorant" individuals who see a horrific dichotomy between science and something created by a divine being (often, unfortunately, on the creationist side), but there need not be one.

jastill

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jastill
blakewidmer wrote:With the ever increasing knowledge of DNA there are actually a number of respectable scientists bringing to serious question a lot of Darwin's principles. I don't think woot needs to get into this issue but then again big mother amazon will push the agenda. This is after all a harmless shirt but not necessary. Why not sell some pro-Semitic shirts or a Jesus freak shirt too? Nah, that would be offensive....

Exactly! Thank you for saying what I was thinking.

j5

quality posts: 63 Private Messages j5

ApeLad did a Darwin design?
Hilarity!

move along

kevlar51

quality posts: 45 Private Messages kevlar51
j5 wrote:ApeLad did a Darwin design?
Hilarity!

Boom!

Clever design, Apelad

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma

Meh. Not much of a statement here, I also don't see that its particularly clever. I'll pass on this one.

garrettwheat

quality posts: 3 Private Messages garrettwheat
eleuthero wrote:
It is certainly true that there are "ignorant" individuals who see a horrific dichotomy between science and something created by a divine being (often, unfortunately, on the creationist side), but there need not be one.

There are religious and atheist people alike that don't 'believe' in evolution. And I say it in quotes because there's arguments on various types of evolution. What can be proven and what can't. Like it was yelled above, it's just a theory. Believe it if you want...

geekygirlygirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages geekygirlygirl
garrettwheat wrote:Like it was yelled above, it's just a theory. Believe it if you want...

A) Scientific use of the word "theory" is not the same as the everyday use of "theory".

B) As one of my favorite mainstream scientists Neil deGrasse Tyson says, “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

garrettwheat

quality posts: 3 Private Messages garrettwheat
geekygirlygirl wrote:A) Scientific use of the word "theory" is not the same as the everyday use of "theory".

B) As one of my favorite mainstream scientists Neil deGrasse Tyson says, “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

A) Yeah, I've heard. Apparently 'laws' explain 'theories'
Still don't buy it. See below.

B) Agreed. But it's only science if it can be proven, tested and repeated. I love NDT, but even he can't explain the origin or purpose of the universe. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pL5vzIMAhs&feature=g-logo

tjschaeffer

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tjschaeffer
geekygirlygirl wrote:A) Scientific use of the word "theory" is not the same as the everyday use of "theory".

A) True, true. Scientists need to get together to come up with a word to replace the word "theory."

B) I find this to be quite the interesting statement from a philosophical point of view. Science is a tool used by human beings to understand and explain the mechanisms of the world. So while I would argue that those specific mechanisms must be true insofar as they exist and follow set rules, science (i.e. the explanation of those mechanisms and rules) need not be "true."

Science is limited by the fact that it is subject to our own understandings of those mechanisms. One need to only look at the history of science to realize that maybe it's not always 100% correct. Of course, this all presupposes that the definition of the word "true" is understood to mean the same thing.

Geode

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Geode

Biology PhD weighing in here - the shirt is great!

Oh, and about evolution. It may be named a scientific theory, but it is a testable process, proven thousands of times in experimental lab groups on C. elegans, bacteria, viruses, D. melanogaster, and even mammals (mice, rats, etc). See Dan Hartl, Richard Lewentin, Christopher Marx and many many others for citations.

Evolution: (very slow) change we can believe in!

-- "Science is a wonderful thing, if one doesn't have to earn one's living at it" - Einstein

fishbiscuit5

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fishbiscuit5

Cute and clever! Nice job, Adam!

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
blakewidmer wrote:This is after all a harmless shirt but not necessary. Why not sell some pro-Semitic shirts or a Jesus freak shirt too? Nah, that would be offensive....

Because evolution is science and not a religion? You do understand the difference right? This site sells geeky tee shirts, if you want religious tee shirts..

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=buy+jesus+freak+shirts

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar

The discussion in this thread is every bit as depressing as I thought it'd be.

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

As humans, whatever our statements, our actions indicate that we hold Truth as dear, if not more so, than Fact. It is foolish to believe they are one and the same, as it is to believe one is assuredly more important than the other.

Spiritgreen

quality posts: 215 Private Messages Spiritgreen

Apelad, lovely design celebrating one of the most elegant realisations in science. I hope the origin of the laws of physics have their 'Darwin moment' someday soon too.

djanlp

quality posts: 4 Private Messages djanlp

What I dislike about this T-shirt is that it uses some random artist's rendition of "ape to man." This is a very ignorant representation of evolution. With regards to evolution, no one is saying that men came from apes, but rather, a common ancestor. This T-shirt design just perpetuates the misconceptions about science.

canisdirus

quality posts: 2 Private Messages canisdirus

I might have to hold out for the elusive Alfred Wallace T shirt....

Darwin was first, but people like Wallace were also on the cusp, or in fact slightly ahead of Darwin. The conclusion would have been reached, with or without Darwin. The story of Wallace is absolutely fascinating btw ....

brockiemtnhi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages brockiemtnhi

Is that Darwin creating?

TheGolux

quality posts: 6 Private Messages TheGolux

Speed to First Woot: 0m 42.445s
First Sucker: lex1312
Last Wooter to Woot: oliverschwarz
Last Purchase: 4 minutes ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 37% of Shirt Woots
Top 47% of all Woots
Woots Sold: 608

First day sales 608
First day posts 35

ApeLad

quality posts: 37 Private Messages ApeLad

Thanks everybody!
If you're interested in learning more about Darwin, the podcast called In Our Time did a week long series on him a couple of years ago. Google it!

emeraldsky33

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emeraldsky33
djanlp wrote:What I dislike about this T-shirt is that it uses some random artist's rendition of "ape to man." This is a very ignorant representation of evolution. With regards to evolution, no one is saying that men came from apes, but rather, a common ancestor. This T-shirt design just perpetuates the misconceptions about science.

While I do understand the feeling of nerdrage, men are apes. Our common ancestors with other apes looked like apes because they were also apes. ;) So other than earlier hominids not being so hunched (rather, they were probably bent at the hips and the neck like a bonobo walking upright), I don't think there's much wrong with this shirt.

diggerab

quality posts: 0 Private Messages diggerab

Ouch ... shirt came today and I had ordered the same size as in the past but this one is three inches larger from shoulder to shoulder and four inches longer ... guess I shall try to shrink it but what is happening to the size guides ... no longer accurate.