WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How much do you spend on clothing per year?
  • 11.8% - Less than $100 129
  • 37.3% - $100 – $300 409
  • 20.9% - $301 – $500 229
  • 8.9% - $501 – $1000 98
  • 5.3% - More than $1000 58
  • 11.3% - More than I want to think about 124
  • 2.5% - My mom buys all my clothes 27
  • 2.1% - I knit all my own clothing because I am insufferable 23
1097 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

bnbsouthworth

quality posts: 56 Private Messages bnbsouthworth

Depends on whether you factor in Woot shirt purchases.

paulpnevada

quality posts: 26 Private Messages paulpnevada

I buy Woot shirts three at a time for my three kids. I would guess twice a month on average. That's almost a thousand bucks per year right there.

EDIT - 18 orders in 2012. I think I should get a special code or something.

cwells100

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cwells100

insufferable!

jaybee53

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jaybee53

Seriously people only spend 100-300 on clothes a year? That explains why there are so many frumps out there.

jackie burns

klstrader

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klstrader
jaybee53 wrote:Seriously people only spend 100-300 on clothes a year? That explains why there are so many frumps out there.

Haha I had to google "frump." Had no idea what it was...

mrsque

quality posts: 5 Private Messages mrsque

way more than $1000/year for me and three kids. my 14 and 11 year old sons are still growing and seem to grow out of a lot of their clothes before they get to wear them...and the 14 year old is an "actor" doing 2-3 plays a year and for little local and school productions, *I* often end up buying his costumes myself...***sigh***...

*I* have FIVE Quality Posts! no, seriously...how did that happen?!

SumDuud

quality posts: 21 Private Messages SumDuud
jaybee53 wrote:Seriously people only spend 100-300 on clothes a year? That explains why there are so many frumps out there.

I'm in my mid 30s and just got rid of some items I've had since high school a year or two ago, at my wife's request. Not that they were out of style, but they were just getting worn out. I might buy a couple of dress shirts or slacks a year, but for the most part, the multitude of woot shirts I've bought do me right on the casual shirt end, a few good pairs if shorts and jeans and what else do I need? Probably my biggest expense each year is a new pair of dress shoes when my olds ones get worn out. I'd spend more, if I cared about the latest style and what not, but I'll reserve that for my teenager and his little brothers.

Now if I figure my kids and wife into the equation, then I'm looking at over 1,000, but for just me 100-300 fits just fine.

Let's see the quality impulse buys!
Wooter to blame for sellout: SumDuud
Sellout time: 8:11:25 AM Central Time

Contrarian by nature.

charlottesumxs

quality posts: 2 Private Messages charlottesumxs

I'm super miserly and make clothes last forever. But my clothing budget has been forced to triple since I found sites like this and I'm seriously starting to get mocked over the size of my t-shirt collection.

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
charlottesumxs wrote:I'm super miserly and make clothes last forever. But my clothing budget has been forced to triple since I found sites like this and I'm seriously starting to get mocked over the size of my t-shirt collection.

Please tell me you have another account...3-9 purchases and you're getting mocked? I have more than 100 tees just in storage...

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

oclafretep

quality posts: 1 Private Messages oclafretep

Frickin' suits, too expensive. Woot, I commission you to make suits with designs.

goldenthorn

quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

I like nice, good quality things and because nice, good quality things tend to cost, alas, even in uber-serious sale hunting mode, I am lucky enough to be able to budget for certain acquisitions. Even if I mostly live in sweats and t-shirts, I have my pretty things hidden and safe and miiiiiiine, precious, all mine. My closet is pretty much a sartorial dragon hoard and I love it. Sooo... yeah, more than 1k.

fhrcreations75155

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fhrcreations75155

My reply was under $100, and believe me it is way under! I believe I spent close to $100 this past year so the hubby and I would have clothes to wear on vacation. I work from home, so I'm frumpy all the time. However, I made an executive decision that work attire at "my office" would include anything that was comfortable. I get a lot of clothes free, and those that I buy I get at discount stores or thrift shops. I have bills to pay rather than spending a fortune on clothes that will just go out of style. I'm rockin' the Thrift Shop Macklemore & Ryan Lewis style! ;)

eliz5210

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eliz5210

Anyone with a couple of kids especially teenagers has to spend over $500.

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

I live in South Florida. T-shirts and shorts 10 months out of the year. Jeans and a sweater the other 2. I own two jackets, for the two days a year I need them.
Work "uniform" was jeans and a collared shirt, t-shirts OK on Fridays. (Company would give out free logo polo shirts, so no cost.) Loved being a programmer.

ladyloerya

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ladyloerya
eliz5210 wrote:Anyone with a couple of kids especially teenagers has to spend over $500.

That was my thought! I have four in my household (me, hubby, 16 year old and 3 year old). I spend between $500-$1000, mostly on kids' clothing. That does not count in all the clothes grandma buys. We go to second hand stores as much as possible, but selection there can be very limited for odd sizes (like tall and thin or short and fat - both are what we deal with in this house).

Anyone choosing under $500 - especially the $100 range has GOT to be single or have one heck of a thrift store near them!

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah
Mavyn wrote:Please tell me you have another account...3-9 purchases and you're getting mocked? I have more than 100 tees just in storage...

Only 100?!? I mock you!

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
ladyloerya wrote:That was my thought! I have four in my household (me, hubby, 16 year old and 3 year old). I spend between $500-$1000, mostly on kids' clothing. That does not count in all the clothes grandma buys. We go to second hand stores as much as possible, but selection there can be very limited for odd sizes (like tall and thin or short and fat - both are what we deal with in this house).

Anyone choosing under $500 - especially the $100 range has GOT to be single or have one heck of a thrift store near them!

No kidding! We do a lot of Goodwill buying (and donating) - four kids will make you do that...

sweett23

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sweett23

Was that for the whole family? Then it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than I want to think about!
Almost $200 last wkend on one teenage daughter -- and that was shopping off the clearance rack!

Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn
ckeilah wrote:Only 100?!? I mock you!

As noted, more than 100...a number I picked because the 'woot purchases' color blocking stops at 100+.

I honestly have no idea how many are in storage. I know it is more than 100 and I suspect less than 500.

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.