lyonscc

quality posts: 6 Private Messages lyonscc
Re: Chicken… Good…

Korben Dallas: When she woke up, she said a bunch a stuff. I didn't understand any of it but... what does 'ecto gammat' mean?
Priest Vito Cornelius: Uh... never again, without my permission.
Korben Dallas: That's what I thought.

Love it :-)

llandar

quality posts: 32 Private Messages llandar
ochopika wrote:Hello! I just wanted to make my favorite video game heroes into Power Rangers because... why not? We'll see how it works out, lol.

No copyrighted characters.

lyonscc

Johndis5 wrote:This may have come out in '99, but as someone who grew up in the 90's, I can say that spongebob is not 90's. He mave been technically born in the 90's, but culturally speaking, he was all 2000s.

Undestood, though the only time I got to watch him was when I was working nights in manufacturing and child-sitting in the morning right after its debut in 1999. We'd been waiting for it almost a year, as Mark O'Hare (one of the lead animators) was at Purdue while I was there, and had a great comic strip for those 4-5 years ("Art Gallery"). The Purdue newspaper hyped it for months before it debuted.

Good times.

haikuthoughts

quality posts: 0 Private Messages haikuthoughts

llandar wrote:No copyrighted characters.

I feel as if this isn't close enough to any of the actual characters, but maybe that's just me. None of the characters these are based on have ever looked like that. $0.02

tgentry wrote:Mario no. Generic plumber yes. Sonic no. Generic hedgehog yes.
Zach and A.C. Slater no. Generic high school D-bags yes. If we think what we're looking at looks too much like a copyrighted character it will get rejected.

For text: Proper nouns "i.e. Mario or Bayside High School" are a no-no.

A good rule of thumb in dealing with pop-culture is tread lightly and don't get all butt-hurt if you get rejected (or someone else doesn't.)

ochopika

quality posts: 27 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

llandar wrote:No copyrighted characters.

This rule is a little unclear this time, so I just went with what Travis said in the pre-derby thread. I am kinda taking a risk since I don't know if these will be considered "generic super-heroes". If it doesn't work then I'll try something else. It will possibly be something Tamagochi-related.

orabbit

quality posts: 31 Private Messages orabbit
Re: Hamsterdance

Is altering colors not significant enough? Oh well, I guess I'll put this one to rest.

lyonscc

orabbit wrote:Is altering colors not significant enough? Oh well, I guess I'll put this one to rest.

Maybe I'm not remembering right, but I thought this one was rejected before (in which case, no alterations are needed to resub it in a later derby)?

Am I missing something?

LOVE this design.

orabbit

riffmaster18 wrote:haha, I was hoping someone would do this

Thanks. Any other Portlandia fans out there?

kevlar51

quality posts: 46 Private Messages kevlar51
Re: K vs Blue 1996

great work Robbie!

orabbit

lyonscc wrote:Maybe I'm not remembering right, but I thought this one was rejected before (in which case, no alterations are needed to resub it in a later derby)?

Am I missing something?

LOVE this design.

I originally submitted it for the Internet / Art History derby, but it looked like this:

I tweaked the colors, and redid the hair shading. I thought that would get me through, but alas.

walmazan

quality posts: 64 Private Messages walmazan
Re: Freedom!

Plus the 90's was the development of the HTML, and the WWW

Wirdou, thanks for the collab, was so much fun work with you!

viridiancat

quality posts: 0 Private Messages viridiancat
Re: Sheep cloning

Hellooooo Dolly!

kdubbs29

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kdubbs29
Re: 1989 - 1999

http://shirt.woot.com/derby/entry/30869/gamepunk

rglee129

quality posts: 28 Private Messages rglee129
Re: My Upside Down Life

This is great!!

flattopfrank

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flattopfrank
curli76 wrote:psst. Disc is spelled with a "c," unless I'm missing some of the joke.

Thanks for catching that, was up way too late working on it. I have resubmitted. Thanks again.

riffmaster18

quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18

great illustration and idea!

Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

flattopfrank

Re: Grungy Style for Dummies

I had to resubmit this so please go vote again. Thanks!

flattopfrank

Grungy Style for Dummies

lyonscc wrote:Smells like teen spirit to me...

Nice one :-)

Thanks! Had to resubmit it because of a typo.

theseize

quality posts: 1 Private Messages theseize
ochopika wrote:This rule is a little unclear this time, so I just went with what Travis said in the pre-derby thread. I am kinda taking a risk since I don't know if these will be considered "generic super-heroes". If it doesn't work then I'll try something else. It will possibly be something Tamagochi-related.

Yeah, these are totally not copyrighted. I see it as a combination of a bunch of elements of different pop culture 90s characters.

Is it 100% safe from rejection? Nope. Obviously you never know with those guys what they'll do...

This is a great idea, btw. I'm having fun looking at this and trying to figure out the references. I think I have them all figured out except the green one...

Idea: what if you'd combined 90s elements all into a single super hero? ...or maybe that's un-ninties since it was a time of Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, Battle Toads, and other teams of heroes/parties of heroes.

Radscoolian

quality posts: 15 Private Messages Radscoolian
Re: Full House

Whatever happened to predictability?

ochopika

quality posts: 27 Private Messages ochopika

Staff

theseize wrote:
This is a great idea, btw. I'm having fun looking at this and trying to figure out the references. I think I have them all figured out except the green one...

The green one is supposed to be Link. I wonder if I could have made it resemble him more clearly. Hmm. Incidentally the Green Ranger also plays an ocarina-type thing.

harantula

quality posts: 3 Private Messages harantula

harantula

Re: Freedom!

GREAT!!

riffmaster18

quality posts: 5 Private Messages riffmaster18
Re: My Upside Down Life

Yes please. FTW.

Hey Artists! Post your favorite design to my wall from your Facebook page. If I use your image I always link back to you.

harantula

dramallama56

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dramallama56
Re: Kitchen Safety 1999

I think this is a clever design, but I have to agree with what someone else said. Spongebob was the very first of the 2000's generation of Nick cartoons. He was VERY different from the 90's Nick cartoons. IDK, it just seems off topic a bit. But I think it's a well executed design.

harantula

omarfeliciano wrote:Aww, Now I want to revive my Tamagotchi, lol. Nicely done!

hahhaa thankU

harantula

Re: Bad Idea Park

hahahahahahah :D

nancyzas

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nancyzas
Re: Internet

Another terrific concept, Kevlar!

harantula

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

This is the first reference that I understand! (Besides Game Boy...) This is a super-clever depiction of a news event that also represents the progress in computing power and AI, which I think were two of the technological revolutions of the '90s that had enormous impact. It's really nice to see a design that's referencing news events instead of just entertainment.

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

lyonscc

Re: Salvation Lies Within

The best movie of all time (and a great short story, as well).

lyonscc

Re: Hi...me again. I know you're there. I need my joke

Sweet! I think I just sent one of these to Goodwill last year.

bluetuba

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bluetuba
lyonscc wrote:Oh - and my 90's references:

1) Office Space (1999)
2) Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (pub. 1999)

You keep choosing things from '99 that are very much iconic of the next decade, not the 90's.

Harry Potter and Spongebob are not 90's culture. That's like saying Nine Inch Nails is a famous 80's band because "Pretty Hate Machine" was released in 1989.

"You can't just dress a Minion like Spock, and add a caption that says "Logical Me". There's a prison for people like that. Below my house."

lyonscc

Re: Internet

Nice. Thought about doing an AOL one (with all of the discarded "free" discs), but decided the copyright thing would bite.

Those were the days...

lyonscc

bluetuba wrote:You keep choosing things from '99 that are very much iconic of the next decade, not the 90's.

Harry Potter and Spongebob are not 90's culture. That's like saying Nine Inch Nails is a famous 80's band because "Pretty Hate Machine" was released in 1989.

I worked nights during much of the 90's, so it all blurs together for me.

I *did* see Office Space at the theater, though. Twice. (And I was going for a riff on Office Space and the red Swingline stapler (though I made sure not to model a real brand of stapler, to avoid IP issues).

omarfeliciano

quality posts: 35 Private Messages omarfeliciano
Re: Dinosaurs Park

Great Illustration as always!

accidentalbiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages accidentalbiz
Re: Salvation Lies Within

Love this shirt! Such a great reference, and one we don't often. I hope it wins. This is my favorite movie and this is the best shirt. Nice job!

oakenspirit

quality posts: 79 Private Messages oakenspirit

Glorious!

plainyoghurt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages plainyoghurt
Re: The Silence of the Lambs

The world needs more silence of the lambs t-shirts.