tjost

quality posts: 25 Private Messages tjost

I just wanted to say thank you to Wirdou for ripping off two of my designs on Qwerty, the first iteration of the binge, entitled "the fix" and my misfortune shirt.

He basically took those two and put them together in one design, and not even that well! Seriously it doen't make sense since the first cookie is only broken and not eaten by Cookie Monster. Brains and talent, I applaud you.

deborah11565

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deborah11565
tjost wrote:I just wanted to say thank you to Wirdou for ripping off two of my designs on Qwerty, the first iteration of the binge, entitled "the fix" and my misfortune shirt.

He basically took those two and put them together in one design, and not even that well! Seriously it doen't make sense since the first cookie is only broken and not eaten by Cookie Monster. Brains and talent, I applaud you.

Ok... I am confused, I hate a thief, but what shirt ,of Wirdou, are you referring to ? I can't figure it out from your post.

tjost

deborah11565 wrote:Ok... I am confused, I hate a thief, but what shirt ,of Wirdou, are you referring to ? I can't figure it out from your post.

I provided links to all the shirts. Wirdou has printing currently on Qwerty a shirt that uses 2 of my designs for a basis and in the artist comment section even says that it's a "misfortune" cookie which is the name of one of my designs too. Qwerty is a steaming pile of blatant non parody rip offs .

baybei

quality posts: 49 Private Messages baybei

Not having seen the fix, but having seen the misfortune, I thought that shirt on Qwerty looked familiar!

Sorry

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

tjost's first version of The Binge, entitled "The Fix"

tjost's "Misfortune Cookie"

Wirdou's shirt on Qwertee:

tjost wrote:Wirdou has printing currently on Qwerty a shirt that uses 2 of my designs for a basis and in the artist comment section even says that it's a "misfortune" cookie which is the name of one of my designs too.

I'm something of a Cookie Monster fan and tjost's first version of The Binge is the only time that I've seen Cookie Monster in that "fuzzy blue spider" pose - and the other shirt is the only time that I've heard the phrase "misfortune cookie." (Google turns up 1,000,000 hits, which isn't very many, although apparently it was the title of an episode of The Twilight Zone.)

Qwerty is a steaming pile of blatant non parody rip offs .

I'm not entirely sure that's the problem here...

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

Tjost!! Wow...I really understand that you are upset (though it would have been nice to write to me before trying to start a war). For sure I know The Binge. But....believe me.... I didn't know the first version that was rejected...I swear, that was a sad coincidence (there are not many ways to "show" the cookie monster without showing it, and that's one often used...) and I didn't know your Misfortune Cookie design. That was long before I submitted to Shirt.Woot. I tried to search past designs from Shirt.Woot not to make something similar...and I threw away some ideas I had cause I saw they had been done for shirt.woot... But this one I didn't know :S Maybe you won't believe me, but I try to look if something has been done before (and googling fortune cookie and cookie monster I found nothing). I had a bunch of designs that prove it and I think I'm honest when I say I would never rip off a design... I think you are a great designer...and I really wish you had written to me before...I don't know if you have an e-mail address, but write to me to wirdou@gmail.com

wirdou

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wirdou

And about the phrase...misfortune cookie...do you think that if I ripped off one of your designs would I write a comment with the title of your design? I came up with that when I was submitting the design to Qwertee...writing the title..Fortune Cookie...the word misfortune...just seemed right...It's not that hard...

mrwednesday

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mrwednesday

It's delightfully ironic that people seem to think that commercial designs and characters that are part of pop culture are somehow free to use and different than designs and characters that they make themselves. Why don't you go back to what you said about The Fix (you know the design you stole from sesame street).

tjost wrote:Well this was an experiment and I think it went well. 262 votes in then terminated. The thing is that this isn't really breaking copyright because as I stated before, round eyes like those shown can't be copyrighted due to previous art standards (also his pupils are dilated and uneven in size). The rest of the image can be interpreted in several different ways. I was not showing a mouth or body (which is what the character in question is immediately recognizable by) and the image could very well be a blue spider (cobalt blue tarantula) cartoon image that enjoys cookies.

With the other BLATANT copyright infringing images that have been printed lately though that don't even try to hide what they are I am upset by not surprised.

Please vote for my remaining (original) concepts below and thank you for your support

Your argument went from this isn't cookie monster it could be anything, and none of the parts are copyrightable, to everyone else is stealing so why can't I? So which way would you like to have it?

Let's break it down shall we? The Fix is outright theft. You just drew cookie monster and tried to obfuscate it enough that you could get away with it. You added nothing original and nothing of your own.

The idea of a misfortune cookie is not your own nor were you the first to riff on "anthropomorphic foods finding each other cooked/eaten/etc." The idea in your shirt might be original, but it is obvious enough that it's extremely unlikely you were the first or only person to ever think of it even though maybe the first to put it on a shirt.

Here's the problem. The joke in Wirdou's shirt isn't the same as your misfortune shirt, and you already admitted you own nothing in The Fix. Additionally, taking ideas from multiple places and combining them in a new way is called transformation. Guess what's covered under fair use? That's right! Transformative uses.

You sound like a whiny hypocrite. If you want people to feel sorry for you or you want to take the moral high ground, stop using other people's work in your own. Given your print record I'm not sure that's possible, so suck it up. Fair use goes both ways. You aren't special.

PixelPants

quality posts: 68 Private Messages PixelPants
mrwednesday wrote:You aren't special.

Sad to think anyone would feel the need speak this way here.
Tjost, you are special.
You have been burned before numerous times by people passing your work off as theirs. Myself and other artists may share some insight into how it hits you. I have not printed much, but have been shocked to see designs go up too close to mine to ignore. On the flip side I've also invested time in ideas only to find someone had gotten there ahead of me.
I hope you are able to find some resolution in the matter.

tjost

PixelPants wrote:Sad to think anyone would feel the need speak this way here.
Tjost, you are special.
You have been burned before numerous times by people passing your work off as theirs. Myself and other artists may share some insight into how it hits you. I have not printed much, but have been shocked to see designs go up too close to mine to ignore. On the flip side I've also invested time in ideas only to find someone had gotten there ahead of me.
I hope you are able to find some resolution in the matter.

Thanks pixel. I've been in contact with Qwertee and they've been very pleasant and pulled the design and won't offer it further. Thanks for the support everyone.

dfunk29

quality posts: 50 Private Messages dfunk29

I saw the shirt on Qwertee and was surprised that it made it to print since it was such a resemblance to Cookie Monster. I was surprised that there weren't Copyright concerns on Qwertee's end.